Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The MMO market 2011

anyone know where i can find an up to date version of this graph? http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...3_image001.png

boy talk about Rift coming out of nowhere. I think SWToR/Rift are going to shift that chart that around a lot. GW2 is going to take a chunk out of that too.

lol thats why i wanna see an up to date graph

Man I had no clue the MMO market was THAT skewed in WoW's favor. I thought everquest would have like 10% or something.

Runescape has the second most? Wtf?

Guess people really like chopping wood and lighting it on fire for 300 hours.

Well, if you count the 'free' mmo market, Maple Story for example has what, 200 million subscribers non exaggeratingly? WoW, let alone the whole p2p industry has been nothing but a small fraction of the whole market, but I'm betting GW2, SWtoR, Rift and WoW combined might change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Necro View Post
    Well, if you count the 'free' mmo market, Maple Story for example has what, 200 million subscribers non exaggeratingly? WoW, let alone the whole p2p industry has been nothing but a small fraction of the whole market, but I'm betting GW2, SWtoR, Rift and WoW combined might change that.
    I've never met anyone who claims to play Maple Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Diabeetus View Post
    Man I had no clue the MMO market was THAT skewed in WoW's favor. I thought everquest would have like 10% or something.

Runescape has the second most? Wtf?

Guess people really like chopping wood and lighting it on fire for 300 hours.
    Runescape is free. That's why....if you go on Wikipedia, it states that RS is the #1 played free MMO in the world.

they're too busy playing maplestory to admit it

Would be awesome if Rift, SW:TOR and GW2 took a big chunk out of WoWs market share, then maybe Blizzard would pull their finger out and stop serving us half baked content.

this site gives different type of graphs

http://www.mmodata.net/
    Spicie-Dk-85 Belgarian-Lock-84 Kazarth-Retardin-85 Jalax-Mage-85 Gord-Rogue-85 Krynn-Druid-83 Shray-warrior-85 Scara-Shaman-85 Castrielle-Spriest-85 Tegne-Huntard-85 Laquiel-DK-85 Aminae-HPriest-85 Wulfrica-hunter-85 Bogdrop-Holy-cow-57
    All these 85's to pay for, no wonder I am always skint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice chart, i feel aswell that rift and afew other mmos are going to change that though WoW is going to be #1 for a while still however
    My name is Legion, for we are many

that graph i posted is from 2008 so yeah its old

Most likely you will see GW2 come out as the new highest free to play MMO, rift will pull an aion, and SWTOR will probably take a rather huge chunk from that playerbase.

WoW will of course still be #1 while these MMOS come out but they will be nice, DCUO will probably have about as big of a playerbase as rift if not a little less.

I don't think guild wars will take over number 1 free mmo. No game has ever sold 100+ million copys. maple story is free do download as well as free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by N0stalgia View Post
    I don't think guild wars will take over number 1 free mmo. No game has ever sold 100+ million copys
    Does runescape have 100+ million players? Because as far as i understood it has roughly 2 to 3 million players if you look at the graph. I could just see guild wars being a decent game and it had a decent following back in the day.

Go Go runescape #2
    This will be interesting to see once its updated for the new MMO's
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Most likely you will see GW2 come out as the new highest free to play MMO, rift will pull an aion, and SWTOR will probably take a rather huge chunk from that playerbase.

WoW will of course still be #1 while these MMOS come out but they will be nice, DCUO will probably have about as big of a playerbase as rift if not a little less.
    Doubt it. Why? Runescape has over 7 million players (2-3 million actually pay to play), a lot of whom are "members". It doesn't need downloading, and only needs $15 (or so?) a month to get an upgraded account. But of course, GW2 might be so badass that it takes over......but I don't think that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Necro View Post
    This number includes ANYONE that has signed up for an account in the past, such as me. I tried it for a day, and then uninstalled it. This figure is also including multiple accounts by the same person. This is very different from active subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodejjj View Post
    Doubt it. Why? Runescape has over 7 million players (2-3 million actually pay to play), a lot of whom are "members". It doesn't need downloading, and only needs $15 (or so?) a month to get an upgraded account. But of course, GW2 might be so badass that it takes over......but I don't think that will happen.
    Anythings possible i don't particularly care a whole lot about GW2 i just could see it possible (i feel liek those million that play shouldn't be counted towards the free count however). I mean games like black ops outsell games like WoW in a single month, anything's possible. I'm just praying to God bioware does a good job with SWTOR, there's so much potential it's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    This number includes ANYONE that has signed up for an account in the past, such as me. I tried it for a day, and then uninstalled it. This figure is also including multiple accounts by the same person. This is very different from active subscribers.
    Same for WoW.