Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ever acceptable to use prot items as ret?

So guys, rolling on my ret pally atm and i just saw

http://www.wowhead.com/item=62432/gryphon-riders-boots

im currently using http://www.wowhead.com/item=55856 atm, the epic is 48 Str more, has Tons of mastery ( ive reforged my boots to mastery atm) and i could just throw +40 str in it

do you guys think this is acceptable? i mean im not raiding atm so its just for heroics

another item, porcelain crab http://www.wowhead.com/item=56280 has a TON of mastery on it if it procs
    the one im using atm is http://www.wowhead.com/item=56285 reforged 114 hit into haste

what do you guys think? im pretty sure the first one would be ok, not sure about the second

edit = i was going to reforge the parry into Hit, and the crabs dodge into expertise if you guys think i should do it
    im 0.65% off raid hit cap and 0.75% off the dodge cap as ret
    Last edited by Martyn 470; 2011-02-28 at 10:23 PM.

Here is what you need to do, step by step...

Calculate EP value of item nr 1.
    Calculate EP value of item nr 2.
    Compare EP Value of item 1 with item nr 2.
    Equip the item with the highest EP value!

(Ofc still factor in hit and expertice cap).

Hf!
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

The trinket, hell no. All Ret trinkets should have Strength as Passive, or Strength as On Use/Proc. Strength crushes every other DPS stat by such a huge margin it is beyond laughable.

If you are just doing heroics, you can get away with the boots, but personally, I kick with Greaves of Wu the Elder. They may not have Mastery, but Crit is very close to Mastery's weight (and directly impact's Mastery's damage output, as more crits on CS/TV/DS = more damage from HoL, since it is based on the dmg of the attack, so crit = way more dmg on HoL), and Hit is always ideal until capped.

Regardless of how modelling the reforged stats turns out, I would just stick to the heroic version of Wu the Elder to avoid being exposed to unnecessary criticism. You don't want to have to get into a conversation about your boots everytime somebody gearchecks you for something.

Trinketwise, I would stick with Might of the Ocean, because the on-use is exceptionally strong, and the fact that you can choose when to use it has strong synergy with the cooldown-based design of ret. In fights where there is a clear burn phase, popping the use increases the value of your cooldowns.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2011-02-28 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    Regardless of how modelling the reforged stats turns out, I would just stick to the heroic version of Wu the Elder to avoid being exposed to unnecessary criticism. You don't want to have to get into a conversation about your boots everytime somebody gearchecks you for something.

Trinketwise, I would stick with Might of the Ocean, because the on-use is exceptionally strong, and the fact that you can choose when to use it has strong synergy with the cooldown-based design of ret. In fights where there is a clear burn phase, popping the use increases the value of your cooldowns.
    yeah i figured that about the trinket, but about the boots, im still not sure, i dont give a crap if people think im a generic retlol, my dps will prove them wrong as i wipe the floor with there scrubby arses.
    i try to up my game as much as i can since i cant raid, so im trying everything i can really.

Trinket no, but those epic tanking boots are BiS before you get other raiding dps epic boots.

As far as the boots go, if you already have the rep, and if the ret part of the stats are better then your current boots its not like 88G is hard to make, so if it is an upgrade even if it only lasts you a day till you get real ret ones then its worth it. An upgrade is an upgrade even if its better for a different spec, 100G is not that much anymore and so yeah. But if you don't have the rep already I would not farm the rep just to get them since you can get ones actually for your spec faster more then likely.

Unless it has int, if it's an upgrade over your proper ret gear, use it until you get proper ret gear. Tanks are using dps gear (crit or haste and mastery) in places until they can get proper tank gear so there's no good reason not to do the reverse as long as your tanks aren't suffering for it, which they won't be with rep gear. I'm not going to bother addressing the trinket since it's already been well covered :P

My cobbled together ret set includes several tanking items. Oddly some of them have more strength than their DPS counterparts...

10+ Year Old Account
    I am wearing both the epic tank boots as well as the epic tank cloak from Hyjal. I have had both for a while, and I've never had any lolret comments thrown at me so far.

One thing I have been wondering for a while is if the tank boots might be better than some of the other plate dps epics, seeing as it has 20 more strength than the others. I think Treads of Savage Beatings might be better, but not sure about other epic dps boots
    Last edited by Zoma; 2011-03-01 at 05:36 AM.

I actually have a similar question, particularly regarding helms.

My guild hardly ever raids anymore, so the only epic helms I will have access to are the ones off of Maloriak (expertise/mastery, 259 strength) and the twin dragons (mastery/parry 282 strength).

the maloriak helm has less strength, but the secondary stats are more favorable. The twin dragons helm has more strength, but also has parry.

so which would be better? Or should I just stick with my helm from H: throne of the tides? (crit/mastery, 242 strength)

Test all of it in dungeons. If anyone gives you a hard time, just tell them you're main spec Prot and you're trying to gear up your Ret spec.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the tank cloak from Hyjal rep is better than any of the blue alternatives, if I remember correctly.

Reforge the Dodge to crit or whatever you need and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-03-01 at 03:59 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I'm rocking the rep tanking boots and the rep cloak beause they are better than anything currently available to me. Those boots are king until HM Chimaeron boots by my calculations. Treads of Savage Beatings are nice, but still have 20 less str than the tanking boots, which the better green stats cannot make up in terms of DPS value, etc.

The cloak is easier to replace, seeing as the valor cloak is much better.

Also, don't worry about anyone calling you out on it. If they do, they are ignorant and don't understand our class.
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I'm rocking the rep tanking boots and the rep cloak beause they are better than anything currently available to me. Those boots are king until HM Chimaeron boots by my calculations. Treads of Savage Beatings are nice, but still have 20 less str than the tanking boots, which the better green stats cannot make up in terms of DPS value, etc.
    This was the case until 4.0.6 when values of secondary stats shot up in value for us. While the tanking boots are best in slot outside of raids and VP purchasable items they don't trump all 359 boots anymore. That being said, I regret selling so many boots pre-4.0.6 and I'm mad at Chimaeron for being a dumb and stingy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlyskilled View Post
    This was the case until 4.0.6 when values of secondary stats shot up in value for us. While the tanking boots are best in slot outside of raids and VP purchasable items they don't trump all 359 boots anymore. That being said, I regret selling so many boots pre-4.0.6 and I'm mad at Chimaeron for being a dumb and stingy abomination.
    Hmm, so if thats the case would it be safe to assume HM Chim > Treads > Gryphon > normal Chim? or am I completely wrong?
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

10+ Year Old Account
    Using the boots on me deathknight just refrged some of the tanking stats away for hit stuck a hit and strenght gem in there and wooot i use them for frost dps and tanking on her.as others have pointed out cant get better till you raid ,and in the mean time they fit the bill nicely .

trinket wise not too sure but i think retri strenght is king etc so prot trinkies probably not then.
    Faith Manages

Like other are saying, those boots are BIS, until raiding/VP purchase. In my honest opinion, I wouldn't have thought twice about using them, and got them right on the spot. Just do what others are saying with reforging, and you'll be fine.

As for the trinkets, the dodge/mastery one, absolutely not. While mastery isn't bad, having a non-strength proc/stat on a trinket is a DPS loss, but the hit/str proc trinket you linked second should work out well.

10+ Year Old Account
    im not going to post a long answer that everythign wrong with what you said so i'll do a short answer ...No.