Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    In a word....cheerleading
    -Greg “Ghostcrawler” Street is the Lead Systems Designer for World of Warcraft and once killed a dinosaur with a spreadsheet.

American Football, its Rugby with padding. Just play Rugby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    You do realise how much effort is required to race Nascar right? I'm British, never been to a Nascar race in my life... but seriously those things weigh close to 2 tonnes, topping 200mph and staying inches, perfectly behind your opponents to draft requires some serious skill and physical strength.
    Pretty much this, and I'm one of those hardcore rednecks that takes Nascar as a religion. Anyone who says they could do what they do on a daily basis are retarded. It would happen something like this, you'd get into the car, run one lap, and shit your pants.
    Proud Conservative and lover of guns, freedom and the Constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    American Football, its Rugby with padding. Just play Rugby.
    No...there are different rules. It is not rugby with padding. Football is much more strategy based than rugby. Rugby is more fast-paced.
    Goochy

10+ Year Old Account
    The sport where grown men chase a little ball-like shape thingy made out of some sort of leather.
    Oh wait.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

10+ Year Old Account
    I can remember seeing Magic The Gathering tournemts on ESPN 2 and I'm like, now how in the hell is that a sport...oh and spelling bees wtf really

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Curling, and, as a Canadian, I 100% agree.

Sports are supposed to be physically demanding for the most part.

Curling and golf arn't very physically demanding.
    Also as a canadian(which contains no relevance) you are 100% full retard

Curling and Golf, although they are boring as balls to watch involve A LOT more physical exertion than you think, try sweeping while pushing REALLY hard on the floor for over an hour compiled, plus those rocks weigh 44 lbs !

Golf, though you just have to try it, it requires a SHIT TON of core strength to hit a ball 200+ yards

For my entry I have to say poker, poker does involve strategy its really more strategical probabilities, and litteraly no physical exertion...if the level of physical exertion required was the base for anything to be a sport, blowing your nose would be a SUPER SPORT!!!!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Curling, Golf, Horse Racing, Darts.. All the ones what don't actually require physical exercise.
    Golf requires more physical exercise and discipline than most sports! learn the sport before you slag it off Golf is one of the most fun sports there is when your playing it you go to a driving range for the first time and smack 200 Golf balls and see if your sore the next day in the slightest you will have blisters and ake all over and if you dont then you should consider playing it because your probably going to be good at it

Quote Originally Posted by taurenburger View Post
    anything that isn´t much physically demanding
    who says that sports need to be physically demanding? noone..... for me everything is sport what you can do competetive, and what is not totaly luck based like poker.... and now, come all the poker players, and say: "hey, you need to know the cards, and need to have a strategy" but hey...... still if i just get the best cards all the time, i can win even if i dont really know the rules....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by strombae View Post
    Golf requires more physical exercise and discipline than most sports! learn the sport before you slag it off Golf is one of the most fun sports there is when your playing it you go to a driving range for the first time and smack 200 Golf balls and see if your sore the next day in the slightest you will have blisters and ake all over and if you dont then you should consider playing it because your probably going to be good at it
    Someone hit a soft spot.
    Golf is THE most annoying sport ever. Bloody ball won't go any-fucking-where.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Eh, gymnastics and figure skating aren't just randomly judged on whether the routine was "pretty enough." They have rigid standards set into place and are extremely technical. If you don't perform a move to said standards you get deducted hundredths or tenths of a point off. Why do you think there are so few perfect 10's across the board?

As for saying women's sports are joke, that's pretty sexist. There's a reason why they are separated (it sucks but the logistics doesn't make it possible to ever have them compete in a co-ed team for most sports) and it's because women and men have different strengths. Would you really want a co-ed American football team (at the professional level)? For starters even if you got a beefy/bulky female player they would still get obliterated most likely by their male counterpart if tackled. It would have to be heavily regulated most likely. I could see in the US people suing because they didn't make the team. Or teams whining that they are at a disadvantage because they had more women on their team and demanding handicaps of some sort. Makes the playing field for the game a bit more even when you're playing against your own sex. Just because there are men's teams that beat women's records doesn't mean anything. Those women are still top athletes, it's not like they sat around doing nothing to earn that.

As for the sport that shouldn't be considered a sport, I can't really choose one off the bat. As an athlete myself, I don't see it necessary to trash someone's sport. They work hard at their's and I work hard at mine. Different sports require different things so to say it shouldn't be a sport most likely means you don't know what kind of expertise and skill it takes to be the best (or the best that you can be).
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by tussee View Post
    Women sports

World Champion - Ye right. there is at least 500 Men or male teams who can beat you.
    Why people would watch female sports is very weird
    Female Tenis, Volleyball?

Baseball and Cricket, its just a personal opinion, i found them booring as hell with some cheesy rules and a weird gameplay, cant stand to see a full minute of those...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgrim Doomhammer View Post
    I'm 12, and my balls have been producing men of the sea for quite a long time (Over a year)

PS: Men of the sea = Sea Men = Semen

10+ Year Old Account
    Skipped a few pages, but people listing golf, motorsports and horseback riding-based sports have no clue of what they're talking about. I don't know all that much about the latter two, but I do about golf. It's the sport where the professionals have to train the most out of all sports to stay on top. Mark my words: No professional sportsmen train or practice as much as golfers do. Just because there are fat golf pros doesn't mean it isn't physically demanding and therefore not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosic View Post
    Does poker count as a sport? If so, i say that, because getting lucky with cards isn't a skill in a sport.
    ahem? someone never played poker....
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgrim Doomhammer View Post
    I'm 12, and my balls have been producing men of the sea for quite a long time (Over a year)

PS: Men of the sea = Sea Men = Semen

Quote Originally Posted by Ðecimate View Post
    ahem? someone never played poker....
    I will admit i've not played much of Poker, but i don't see how you can controll the cards you are given.

They are dealt to you, you don't control any single card in the pack, nor whats on the table. So that is a base of luck right there. The only aspect of that game (if it can be counted as a sport, since you do play it in a competition), that you can control, is the whole bluffing, or controlling the win of the round.

It's a game of wits, it does have skill throughout the game, but as i stated above, it is a luck of the draw at which cards you get, then it's skill on how you use them.

So stating that i don't play the game, doesn't strengthen your point.

...what? Skateboarding takes just as much, if not more, athletic skill than any basketball, football or soccer player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtoFe7EKYnA

Keep in mind, the only thing keeping the board to his feet...is skill.

99% sure he makes as much money than a lot of the professional "sport" players out there.
    You should of linked Chris Cole's Ride the Sky part from Fallen Shoes. It's just insane, and shows the true skill of skateboarding.
    As myself i skateboard, and it takes alot of skill to understand and control the physics behind the movement of each trick you performe.
    But then again, we can all say one sport shouldn't be a sport, and someone can then justify why it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjmHeBpcSc&feature=fvst
    Last edited by Kosic; 2011-03-10 at 11:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohh wow, I forgot Poker was considered a sport. Really shouldn't be a sport at all. It's based on luck.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Horse Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    Polo or horse-racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    horse-back riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponchu View Post
    horse riding
    You guys and anyone else that has listed horseback riding in some form or another as a 'non-sport' have CLEARLY never ridden at more than a walk for any length of time, or ridden a horse that was not dead broke, or ridden at all.

I recently started riding again after almost two years out of the saddle, so I'm not quite as fit as I used to be two years ago. It shows. I got on a horse for the first time in two years last week and I was sore the day after because believe it or not, it does take some muscular strength to get the horse to go where you want it to go, as fast as you want it to go, and as quietly and gracefully as you want it to go. It isn't all about 'money.' You can buy a $100,000 horse, but that isn't going to take the physical aspect out of the sport - you still have to work for it. Equestrianism is a sport - it is competitive and demanding in both body and mind, and requires arguably as much if not more practice and training than many human-only sports.

If you are not in shape, your horse is not going to respond to you as well. Your signals will not be as strong or as precise. If your horse throws a shitfit you will not be able to stay on the horse without getting hurt. If you are not in shape, you will not be able to ride your horse well enough to get it in shape, too. The only way you're going to win any upper level competitions of any discipline is through hard work - especially physical. We horse people have to handle our sometimes stubborn animals on the ground and under saddle. We have to make sure they are healthy - their hooves need trimming and shoeing, their teeth need floating, they need feeding two or three times a day, they need exercise and socialization. We have to thoroughly brush and scrub and comb and braid for outings, polish tack and yes - clean stalls, push around a wheelbarrel and move around heavy bales of hay. We have to give them just enough leg to get them moving without making them fly. We have to apply just enough rein to get them to slow without stopping. We have to hold on tight when they buck and hop, and lean in close when they rear. We have to position ourselves over THEIR center of gravity when going over jumps, and be able to hold ourselves there as long as we must - in the case of jockeys, quite a long time. We have to learn the proper cues for a half-pass, how to ask for a collected piaffe, passage, and regular gaits. We have to know how to get our horses to bend and move efficiently under themselves, and how to ride in a way that assists them in doing this. We have to hone our balance, make our bums stick to that saddle no matter what shit that horse throws at us, and no, this is not something you can accomplish the first time you get on a horse. Competition is fierce and sometimes ruthless. An injury to either you or your horse can end your show season before it even begins.

There is a reason horses are used for both physical therapy and therapy for the mentally handicapped. The sport of equestrianism, regardless of discipline, engages both the mind and the body.

People who are not or do not know equestrians rarely understand that it isn't just sitting on a horse and letting it do all the work.

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    You guys and anyone else that has listed horseback riding in some form or another as a 'non-sport' have CLEARLY never ridden at more than a walk for any length of time, or ridden a horse that was not dead broke, or ridden at all.

I recently started riding again after almost two years out of the saddle, so I'm not quite as fit as I used to be two years ago. It shows. I got on a horse for the first time in two years last week and I was sore the day after because believe it or not, it does take some muscular strength to get the horse to go where you want it to go, as fast as you want it to go, and as quietly and gracefully as you want it to go. It isn't all about 'money.' You can buy a $100,000 horse, but that isn't going to take the physical aspect out of the sport - you still have to work for it. Equestrianism is a sport - it is competitive and demanding in both body and mind, and requires arguably as much if not more practice and training than many human-only sports.

If you are not in shape, your horse is not going to respond to you as well. Your signals will not be as strong or as precise. If your horse throws a shitfit you will not be able to stay on the horse without getting hurt. If you are not in shape, you will not be able to ride your horse well enough to get it in shape, too. The only way you're going to win any upper level competitions of any discipline is through hard work - especially physical. We horse people have to handle our sometimes stubborn animals on the ground and under saddle. We have to make sure they are healthy - their hooves need trimming and shoeing, their teeth need floating, they need feeding two or three times a day, they need exercise and socialization. We have to thoroughly brush and scrub and comb and braid for outings, polish tack and yes - clean stalls, push around a wheelbarrel and move around heavy bales of hay. We have to give them just enough leg to get them moving without making them fly. We have to apply just enough rein to get them to slow without stopping. We have to hold on tight when they buck and hop, and lean in close when they rear. We have to position ourselves over THEIR center of gravity when going over jumps, and be able to hold ourselves there as long as we must - in the case of jockeys, quite a long time. We have to learn the proper cues for a half-pass, how to ask for a collected piaffe, passage, and regular gaits. We have to know how to get our horses to bend and move efficiently under themselves, and how to ride in a way that assists them in doing this. We have to hone our balance, make our bums stick to that saddle no matter what shit that horse throws at us, and no, this is not something you can accomplish the first time you get on a horse. Competition is fierce and sometimes ruthless. An injury to either you or your horse can end your show season before it even begins.

There is a reason horses are used for both physical therapy and therapy for the mentally handicapped. The sport of equestrianism, regardless of discipline, engages both the mind and the body.

People who are not or do not know equestrians rarely understand that it isn't just sitting on a horse and letting it do all the work.

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle." -Winston Churchill

Actually Ive written at National level dressage and eventing so neh. I realize that yes its physical etc etc Ive sweated enough to prove that, but lets look at it this way....If Im working that hard its the horse thats carrying me around and jumping isnt it?

Yes we consider it a sport and its intense and fitness requiring blah blah calm down, my only point about those sports is that the car/horse/whatever is probably working harder than the sportsman/woman is. Thats my only point.
    Last edited by Ponchu; 2011-03-11 at 03:30 AM. Reason: forgot

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandros View Post
    Pretty much this, and I'm one of those hardcore rednecks that takes Nascar as a religion. Anyone who says they could do what they do on a daily basis are retarded. It would happen something like this, you'd get into the car, run one lap, and shit your pants.
    Driving in an oval is not nearly as physically demanding as driving a Formula 1 street track though. F1 types of racing are brutal on your body because of hair pin turns and having to slow down a lot due to small sharp corners..