Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've never seen my med pop server dead. Never seen max level zones empty. Never been unable to get a group.

I don't pvp

Leveling doesn't take too long. 2.5-4 days for someone looking to get it done. Up to 7 days for someone looking to savor the experience. Numbers are with leveling tradeskills. They generally aren't hard to keep on pace with your level.

2 twenty man raids right now, we're about to get a 10 man raid opened up. Plus rift raids. They are somewhat similar. As was mentioned, the bar for endgame starts a little higher in Rift. endgame dungeons are harder than what WoW throws out. No hardmode raid fights though, so WoW probably has the most challenging fights of the two if you seek them out. One of the biggest differences will be group/raid makeup. You shift your specs, you can have 4 now and soon it'll be 5, according to the fight. You have support buffers, debuffers, bulk healers, precision healers, and you'll typically be switching out who tanks what depending on the mechanics.

Never had a problem with controls in DAoC/WAR. UI is extremely flexible in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    No, i tried it and got bored very quickly, they claim to fix homo-generalization with their 9 specs per 4 class, but theres usually not much different spec to spec, just exact ability clones with a new name
    The only ability clones I noticed were the ones that each soul tree started with or easily unlocked early on. This allowed anyone to start from any tree without having all tree's talents able to super charge something. These clones were often little more than primary dmg dealing moves on par with fireball, sinister strike, or whatever ability you'd do most of the time. Spend more than 20 points into a tree and you stop seeing ability clones, unless you count shit like +XX stat buffs.

edit:
    However, part of the reason Rift's zones aren't empty atm is that people are still new to the game. There aren't as many people who have the best possible equipment and see no reason to leave the main city. I played rift for awhile, got to 38 but got tired of MMO's like WoW with people that spend more time bitching about "omg he killed me!!! NERF!!!" instead of looking into why a class functions the way it does. (that last part pertains to all mmo games, not just WoW or Rift)
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2011-05-08 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    If you have played wow then you have played this..

If you have levelled many alts in wow and skipped the story due to it being so familiar then you will due to habit do the same with this...

Its just a finer detailed but kinda clunky wow copy, but enjoyable for a time
    ^this

if you have been playing WoW for as long as you say, there is really little for you to see here. its seriously about 98% WoW and 2% different. and sure its still early but unless they do some drastic changes i dont really see it being more than just a better looking WoW

---------- Post added 2011-05-08 at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    I've never seen my med pop server dead. Never seen max level zones empty. Never been unable to get a group.

I don't pvp

Leveling doesn't take too long. 2.5-4 days for someone looking to get it done. Up to 7 days for someone looking to savor the experience. Numbers are with leveling tradeskills. They generally aren't hard to keep on pace with your level.
    my main problem with this statement is....you are talking about the game like its been around for years. of course you are going to see more people. its new and exciting right now....once that fades away people will be complaining about the same things people in WoW are complaining about

I think you should ask on a different forum more opinions about this game since the majority of the people here are WoW players with none or very little experience of Rift. Most of the people who do like Rift and play it have moved on to more Rift centered forums. I suggest you seek more help there to make your decision.

However I'm gonna say that while both games are similar in essence they have enough inside them to separate and provide fun. If you're accustomed with WoW you'll understand and possibly play Rift better than a new-comer to the genre. On one hand the team here in WoW has overall more experience but a breath of fresh air is always welcome and can turn the tide of the "MMO-war" (remember Everquest - WoW phase anyone?).

Try both games and choose the one you like more and where you have the most fun with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I think you should ask on a different forum more opinions about this game since the majority of the people here are WoW players with none or very little experience of Rift. Most of the people who do like Rift and play it have moved on to more Rift centered forums. I suggest you seek more help there to make your decision.

However I'm gonna say that while both games are similar in essence they have enough inside them to separate and provide fun. If you're accustomed with WoW you'll understand and possibly play Rift better than a new-comer to the genre. On one hand the team here in WoW has overall more experience but a breath of fresh air is always welcome and can turn the tide of the "MMO-war" (remember Everquest - WoW phase anyone?).

Try both games and choose the one you like more and where you have the most fun with.
    I disagree, Its MMO champion not MMO-wow. MMO-C does & manly only cover Wow, Maybe that's because Wow Is and still the biggest MMO game in The world but We are not all Wow <fanboys >

I come On here to find about other upcoming mmo's and game, I never hardly post in the wow main board...

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    my main problem with this statement is....you are talking about the game like its been around for years. of course you are going to see more people. its new and exciting right now....once that fades away people will be complaining about the same things people in WoW are complaining about
    I'm talking about a game in relation to the questions posed. I was told in beta it would die at release. At release it would die in a month. At one month it was 2 months and it would be dead. So in the same place we have people saying the world is empty/inactive and you saying I shouldn't mention that its not.
    The question about population and activity was asked and I answered it. What it looks like in a few years is meaningless. It is impossible to know and doesn't matter. When a game stops being fun, you stop playing it. That WoW has nothing left for me doesn't change how great a ride it was.

Deleted
    yes pls do it

For everyone saying it's a WoW clone. Stop, it's getting old you've all been saying it since pre release, during the beta.
    ALL MMOs have something in common, otherwise they wouldn't be MMOs. (MMORPG to be more specific). There's going to be questing, there's going to be PvP, there's going to be dungeons. If those three things means that it's a WoW clone, then it's a WoW clone. But there's more to it. Quit being close minded. I can almost guarantee that the majority of you people that says it's a wow clone hasn't actually played the game.

Rift is WoW

With better graphics and less replay value

The quests are as dull as the dullest ones in WoW. The Rifts are cool for about 2 days then they're just annoying.

I quit 1 day after hitting 50..it's really that boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    I disagree, Its MMO champion not MMO-wow. MMO-C does & manly only cover Wow, Maybe that's because Wow Is and still the biggest MMO game in The world but We are not all Wow <fanboys >

I come On here to find about other upcoming mmo's and game, I never hardly post in the wow main board...
    Well, we are a WoW site. (WoW = The MMO Champion).

But we're not all drooling WoW fanboys. You can read through the rift general discussion thread which is full of good discussions on rift.

Also Rift has their own forums if you want to get an idea from people already into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a brave poster now that starts a RIFT thread outside the main 216+ page one

The circling sharks sense prey and move in with the usual crap "game is dead, servers are empty, i played until level 5...." list of clueless, trolling crap goes on and on....best advice? go to youtube and type in 'jesse plays rift' this guy does the omfgcata WoW reviews and stuff, is an end game raider in WoW so i'd listen to his opinions a bit more than most of the "experts" on here

Try to watch his videos in order..he does it from level one and has a video dairy of him leveling all the way to 50, doing a few experts etc, he goes into great detail describing gameplay etc...so i'd highly recommend grabbing the Coke and popcorn, settling down and watching some of his videos...

Here's the first one in his series...

Ciderhelm has good video guides for the raids.

In an MMO you have two choices: PvE or PvP.

PvE, in my opinion, is stupid in every game now. It's the same kill dragons to get gear to kill bigger dragons system in WoW

and PvP is fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    There really isn't much to say about SC2, it's not a very complex game. Three races that never change and that's it, end of story.

to many post for me to read through atm (im a bit drunk) - but if rift does a free 10 days/1 month then i would try it - if its free then you have nothing to lose, but from what i can gather rift is just a diff version of wow, roughly what aion was, big diff there though imo is rift is a new game, aion was a korean to english swap over and had some probs - but try it anyway for your own satifaction, only you will know in the end

Deleted
    The game is already on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    And WoW isn't?

RIFT has good customer support.
    WoW has something they like to call customer support. It's not quite what I would call good though.

As are other games.

or you could read up on the other threads created just like this and get the other endless amount of pro and con opinions because everyone has them...(assholes and opinions that is) it comes down to what you like and what makes you happy. Please stop creating clone threads

---------- Post added 2011-05-08 at 04:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gredge View Post
    Rift is WoW

With better graphics and less replay value

The quests are as dull as the dullest ones in WoW. The Rifts are cool for about 2 days then they're just annoying.

I quit 1 day after hitting 50..it's really that boring.
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-05-08 at 10:17 PM.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, i mean look at all the empty or low population shards this very second

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php

Deleted
    All you will get from a wow fan site with that question is WOW RULZ AND RIFT SUCKS!! See above

Buy it and try it is the only way to find out.