Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    i dont see the whole problem in fire being underpowered? My friend who's the best mage i know just dont want to play arcane because it's so boring. We are not all in 378 but he def. competes on fights like baleroc where the core all pretty much reach 26k
    And if he played Arcane he'd be doing ~29k+

You must not know many mages if the best one you know is someone who gimps his raid performance because he prefers playng a worse spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
    And if he played Arcane he'd be doing ~29k+

You must not know many mages if the best one you know is someone who gimps his raid performance because he prefers playng a worse spec.
    Well we got about 4 mages and last time i checked they were all in the same 25man raid, they were all on top, but when we had to spread out, all the arcane mages lost a lot of their DPS. I'm not saying arcane is a bad spec at all, maybe the players just sucked.

But what is the whole point in playing a char. that is no fun to you? sure it's cool to do better DPS than anyone else.

i just dont get why you would play a boring specc, and therefore a boring char.

Deleted
    It's called progression.

Anyone not playing the best possible spec for the raid is indeed "gimping" the raids performance. Just because one spec is deemed boring, doesn't make the character boring.

You have pvp, and time outside of raids to play w/e the hell spec you like.

But people aiming for max progression would ALWAYS pick the highest damage spec over the other in the name of progression, if not they're being selfish to the raid or don't care that much and are *probably* in lesser guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    It's called progression.

Anyone not playing the best possible spec for the raid is indeed "gimping" the raids performance. Just because one spec is deemed boring, doesn't make the character boring.

You have pvp, and time outside of raids to play w/e the hell spec you like.

But people aiming for max progression would ALWAYS pick the highest damage spec over the other in the name of progression, if not they're being selfish to the raid or don't care that much and are *probably* in lesser guilds.
    Well we are "only" a guild focused on giving time for family life and work. We only raid 9 hours/week so i actually don't know where to place us. We are atm. on 6/7 on 10man and since we went 25 man we got to Major in a week(3 raid days).

I might actually take a chat with our mage about his specc, but we need to remember that it's your game and you are the one paying for it.

We got 2 important factors here:

You dont want to play a boring class.
    You dont want to "gimp" the raid.

meh, don't know.

I'd respec to fire from arcane in an instant if it was competitive. I just like the feel/flavor of the spec better. lets be honest none of our specs are hard to play. As it stands though I have to go arcane for the extra output which is precisely what blizz stated they didn't want to happen.

Read as:

I point blank refuse to play arcane because I have no fucking idea how my class works outside of my comfort zone.

A mage call it a 2 button spec? You should just quit now to be honest, how do you expect other classes to be convinced that playing an arcane mage well requires more than 111111111211111112 when even people who play the class don't even bother learning it properly.
    then you read wrong my friend, it says exactly what it says, arcane is boring in my opinion and i'd rather play as fire or frost than spam 2 buttons and worry more about my mana. i've played arcane, i've rocked arcane and i've got bored to death of it.

so yea, dont go making assumptions just because i dont choose to play arcane and call it a 2 button spec that i am incapable of playing in that spec - the rest of the arcane playstyle revolving around mana, burn phases etc etc, just doesn't ignite my fire.

at the end of the day, it's a game, i find fire a much more fun and entertaining spec to play, so that's what i do. if the success of my guilds raids rested solely on the shoulders of me maxing my dps, then i'd be peer pressured into switching, otherwise, i'll play however the hell i like. i'm not in a world first guild, i'm not even in a server first guild, i play for fun and in my opinion, arcane aint half as fun as fire, so why change - all 3 specs have their strengths and weaknesses and if you can play well into the strengths of your spec and minimise your weaknesses, you'll do well no matter what.

Well we got about 4 mages and last time i checked they were all in the same 25man raid, they were all on top, but when we had to spread out, all the arcane mages lost a lot of their DPS. I'm not saying arcane is a bad spec at all, maybe the players just sucked.

But what is the whole point in playing a char. that is no fun to you? sure it's cool to do better DPS than anyone else.

Because it isn't 'boring'.

This is a fact, if a mage cannot outperform themselves playing fire when they swap to arcane on pretty much every fight outside Alysrazor, then they suck. Maybe not suck as a mage, but suck as an arcane mage at least.

Isn't it an awfully big coincidence that all these people who claim that their fire DPS is comparable to their, or their friends, arcane DPS also say that arcane is boring? No, actually it isn't. Because arcane is not boring, it is the bandwagon excuse they use to deflect the fact that they are incapable of playing arcane properly.

tl;dr 'I don't play arcane because it is boring' = 'I can't play arcane'

Deleted
    I'd love fire to be brought up to arcane level, i dunno what it is about arcane but to me it just feels very dull. I'd get a 100k+ arcane blast crit and be like "hmm, nice" then i'd get a 50k+ pyro as fire and be like "YEAH COME ON YOU LIKE THAT???? AAHAHHHAHAHH" It's just down to peoples personal taste i guess, i like the whole fire concept and arcane just seems bleh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scdogg44 View Post
    Where as fire you have procs, dots, refreshing lb, casting while moving to futher max dps, shall I go on, or do you get the point.
    you have 1 proc!, you have 1 dot, which is LB (no need to mention it twice, pyro dot is not actually a dot you keep track of as you cant influence it, noone is hardcasting pyro (except in very rare ocassions due to badluck))
    but the most ridiculous part of your post:

you call fire harder as arcane because you have to cast while moving ?!?!?!?!?! srsly is this a troll post or are you just a weirdo -,-

you lose insane amounts of dmg as arcane when you have to move and almost none as fire, so fire is harder?

This is a fact, if a mage cannot outperform themselves playing fire when they swap to arcane on pretty much every fight outside Alysrazor, then they suck. Maybe not suck as a mage, but suck as an arcane mage at least.

Isn't it an awfully big coincidence that all these people who claim that their fire DPS is comparable to their, or their friends, arcane DPS also say that arcane is boring? No, actually it isn't. Because arcane is not boring, it is the bandwagon excuse they use to deflect the fact that they are incapable of playing arcane properly.

I am pretty sure my friend can play his mage, and in all specs. When he gets online, im going to ask him why he dont roll arcane and try to confront him.

I just don't see the fun in using 9 hours a week play as arcane mage, if you an perform as good as a fire mage. Some players are casual mages, some are like machine and no matter what he rolls, he out DPS others specc. Some players are just that good, deal with it.
    Last edited by Snixs; 2011-07-29 at 10:43 AM.

Deleted
    I love fire, it's really the spec that made me love my mage ^^

Deleted
    I am pretty sure my friend can play his mage, and in all specs. When he gets online, im going to ask him why he dont roll arcane and try to confront him.

I just don't see the fun in using 9 hours a week play as arcane mage, if you an perform as good as a fire mage. Some players are casual mages, some are like machine and no matter what he rolls, he out DPS others specc. Some players are just that good, deal with it.
    Because you cant perform as good as an arcane mage as a fire mage.

What about I think arcane is boring, but I play it anyways because it gets better results?

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    Because you cant perform as good as an arcane mage as a fire mage.
    Some players can do incredible things with their Chars.

Deleted
    They can do more incredible things with arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by talydia View Post
    What about I think arcane is boring, but I play it anyways because it gets better results?
    Then you're trying to play 2 games with one character. You play the highest DPS/results spec because you need it for progression (or whatever reason you have). But you also find it boring. Point is, your desire to perform at your maximum outweighs how you feel about the spec, if you found arcane truly boring, you wouldn't play it, like the people in this thread sticking by fire.

There is a difference between thinking arcane is inherently boring, and preferring to play fire. The point most 'lol 2 button no way' people seem to be putting across is that arcane is so mind numbingly intolerable that they will never play it.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with people choosing to play fire over arcane, or frost over fire, or 0/0/0 over 31/31/31. My issue is with the justifications that they give:

Arcane is boring*: Well this has already been turned on its head here, playing arcane properly involves the same, or more input than fire and frost. So it's not a justification.

I don't like arcane's playstyle: Again, not a reason in itself. What about the playstyle is it? The fact that the mana bar is a more precious resource? The fact that as arcane you don't fire your procs as soon as they pop? The lack of a DoT? The colour of the spells? There has to be an underlying reason why the playstyle doesn't gel with people.

When someone gives one of these two, or something similar, it just looks like they are fishing for excuses.

*Boring in terms of rotation (1111111121111211121212111).

Read as:

I point blank refuse to play arcane because I have no fucking idea how my class works outside of my comfort zone.

A mage call it a 2 button spec? You should just quit now to be honest, how do you expect other classes to be convinced that playing an arcane mage well requires more than 111111111211111112 when even people who play the class don't even bother learning it properly.
    Leap of Faith'd during Evo. (Then lulz at the rage that's inc)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiell View Post
    Leap of Faith'd during Evo. (Then lulz at the rage that's inc)
    sounds awesome!

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    They can do more incredible things with arcane.
    Maybe Arcane got bigger limits.

I'm honestly confused by people that stalwartly claim they didn't change specs with the Arcane buff. I love fire. I'd prefer to raid as fire. I was topping meters as fire. But when Arcane was buffed, I was able to to even more damage. Unless you play casually, you're gimping your raid by not doing the most damage you can.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing I love about Arcane is that you really have a throttle control. No other spec can throttle "as needed" the way Arcane does. It's actually a very dynamic playstyle.
    Every class can throttle if needed. Nothing special to see here.