Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My new PC build - Madness

So far here is what is slated for my new machine. Everything has been purchased just waiting on the ram to arrive from Newegg.

• Intel Core i7 2600k Sandy bridge Processor
    • Asus Maximus IV extreme Z motherboard
    • Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus heatsink/fan
    • 4x4gb G.SKILL Sniper series DDR3 @1866 Mhz ram
    • 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
    • 2x1TB Western Digital Black series HDD on Raid 0
    • Radeon HD 6970
    • Corsair 1050w PSU
    • Coolermaster Haf X case
    • Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
    • Logitech G19 Keyboard
    • Razer Naga 18 button MMO Gaming Mouse

I'm seriously thinking about picking up one of the OCZ revo drives quickly now that HDD/SSD prices are starting to go hrough the roof due to the flooding in Thailand.

On the contrary I am fairly certain that the setup I have listed here will last me for a while.

Thoughts/Opinions?
    Last edited by Tholyn; 2011-11-07 at 10:26 PM.

Deleted
    Any particular reason why you want 16 gigs of RAM? Like lots of VMs, video editing/3D rendering. 8 gig should be enough for *everything *

I do a lot of work with Maya/3DS Max and i render the occasional video of my shenanigans in FPS games / WoW.
    Last edited by Tholyn; 2011-11-07 at 09:30 PM.

Looks pretty sweet. Pretty close to what I'm about to order. You should know that the G19 isn't a mechanical keyboard though. It's a rubber-dome keyboard. I'd recommend taking a look at a mechanical keyboard unless you're against them. They last much longer and are nicer; and at the price point of a G19, a mechanical keyboard would be the same price or cheaper. For example the Razor Blackwidow.

With that being said, I've had my G15 for six years now and still works great, nothing wrong with it. My next purchase will be mechanical though.

Deleted
    Setup looks good. Not sure why you would want a revo drive. SSD prices seem largely unaffected by HDD production issues.

The G19 is pretty overpriced for what it actually is. I would consider other keyboards depending on your requirements.

Also would you be intending on using the language packs and bit locker that come in Windows 7 Ultimate? See lots of people buying it purely because they consider it the best then only use the features from Home premium.

A 1050W PSU?

Seem like quite a bit of overkill to me. Unless my computer knowledge is completely failing me.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    A 1050W PSU?

Seem like quite a bit of overkill to me. Unless my computer knowledge is completely failing me.
    Completely unnecessary; the system shouldn't float above 600w even off the top of my head. o.o

Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    Setup looks good. Not sure why you would want a revo drive. SSD prices seem largely unaffected by HDD production issues.

The G19 is pretty overpriced for what it actually is. I would consider other keyboards depending on your requirements.

Also would you be intending on using the language packs and bit locker that come in Windows 7 Ultimate? See lots of people buying it purely because they consider it the best then only use the features from Home premium.
    The main reason I want a revo drive is summed up fairly well in the following graphic

The SSD and HDDs are almost all manufactured in Thailand and most of these factories are under water due to massive flooding.

As far as the Keyboard goes, I was almost certain the G19 was mechanical. I may have to return it and go a different route. I havent unboxed it yet, I'm sure I would have noticed but I am glad you mentioned it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tholyn View Post
    The SSD and HDDs are almost all manufactured in Thailand and most of these factories are under water due to massive flooding.
    Incorrect. SSDs are mainly manufactured in the USA and other higher quality manufacturing places, this is true, as SSD prices have only been going downwards the past several months, while in the past few weeks since the Thailand flooding, the HDD prices have about tripled.

In regards to your build and want for a RevoDrive, here's my response to your RevoDrive idea:

http://www.fusionio.com/platforms/iodrive-octal/

OCZ can't even hold a stick up to that.

About your build:

PSU is complete overkill as a couple other posters already pointed out, you'd have to probably trifire your 6970 with two others to actually need that big of a PSU.

For such a killer computer however, your choice of the Hyper 212+ was pretty poor, as based on the amount of money you are investing in this computer, and then even saying you want to buy a RevoDrive, you have money to burn. You should have bought either a NH-D14, Thermal Right Silver Arrow, or done a true liquid cooling setup for your CPU/maybe entire rig.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy the rig, nonetheless!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Completely unnecessary; the system shouldn't float above 600w even off the top of my head. o.o
    Its about a 700w build w/ a minor overclock. If you factor in possible and what seems likely that he will go xfire then your looking near an 830w or so build. In the grand scheme 2 WD blacks Odd Cpu Gfx Card and everything else w/ possibilities he could hit the ceiling fairly quickly w/ another video card and vanity items aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'de rather have overkill than underkill in the PSU department. I got one larger than I would need because after the PSU has been used a bit the amount of clean power it can product is reduced. I also want to have enough for expandability and not have to worry about buying a new PSU.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 05:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Incorrect. SSDs are mainly manufactured in the USA and other higher quality manufacturing places, this is true, as SSD prices have only been going downwards the past several months, while in the past few weeks since the Thailand flooding, the HDD prices have about tripled.

In regards to your build and want for a RevoDrive, here's my response to your RevoDrive idea:

http://www.fusionio.com/platforms/iodrive-octal/

OCZ can't even hold a stick up to that.

About your build:

PSU is complete overkill as a couple other posters already pointed out, you'd have to probably trifire your 6970 with two others to actually need that big of a PSU.

For such a killer computer however, your choice of the Hyper 212+ was pretty poor, as based on the amount of money you are investing in this computer, and then even saying you want to buy a RevoDrive, you have money to burn. You should have bought either a NH-D14, Thermal Right Silver Arrow, or done a true liquid cooling setup for your CPU/maybe entire rig.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy the rig, nonetheless!
    I will take a look into the Iodrive.

In regards to the Power supply see the post above as to my reasoning.
    Onto the Heatsink, from what ive read the Hyper 212 although its design is about a year old it has amazing reviews for its cooling capacity.
    Its extremely quite and has the expandability to add a 2nd 120mm fan for a push/pull setup.

I dont plan to do any extreme overclocking , Im going to stay rather conservative but from what Ive seen and read the 212 can handle and exceed my cooling needs.

* I also checked OCZ's SSD manufacturing plant is in Taiwan not Thailand, so you were correct on that but the name are so similar I got them confused.
    Last edited by Tholyn; 2011-11-07 at 10:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough on the 212+ and PSU.

And the Fusion iOdrive I linked has about a $100,000 pricetag attached to it, just fyi. ;p
    "A flower.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have an approximate price on this system? Been thinking of getting a new system myself, as my 3 year old computer is struggling to do large 3D-models for most of the Mechanical Engineering work I'm doing. As a sidenote; I would recommend taking a look at R.A.T. 9 instead of Razer Naga. I have both, and I have to say there's a giant leap in quality and feel in favour of the R.A.T. 9. But if you want the extra buttons with the Naga, then that might be the best choice, as the RAT is rather limited when it comes to buttons.

Lol, I mean I do pretty well but If im dropping a hundred grand its not gonna be on that iodrive!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I mean I do pretty well but If im dropping a hundred grand its not gonna be on that iodrive!
    Yeah I was mostly just screwing with ya, it's definitely not aimed at home PCs, even if they are enthusiast PCs. ;p
    "A flower.

Deleted
    As far as the revo drives go that is my mistake, was thinking of those crappy hybrid drives.

I would still suggest rethinking the OS unless you plan on using bitlocker. Not really the end of the world but still a waste of money if you will never use the additional features it gives.

I do plan to use bitlocker, RIAA will never take me alive

15+ Year Old Account
    If you spend this much money on a pc i'd go with a 2x HD6950 (crossfire) over the HD6970

Deleted
    I do plan to use bitlocker, RIAA will never take me alive
    hehe, it depends what country you are in. In the UK it is the law that you have to release encryption keys for criminal investigations.

If you don't need macro keys I would consider the Das Keyboard range. Main thing I found offputting was how bland they look for an expensive keyboard, but it really is down to personal preference/usage.

I am currently using a G15 the original one with the blue lighting and 18 macro keys.

I am in love with it and I do use almost all of the macro keys and the screen is awesome for being able to control Itunes without minimizing game or being able to see who is talking in vent/mumble without minimizing ( i hate using the overlay feature in both programs thats why i prefer the keyboard screen)