Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Books] Eragon - Inheritance *SPOILERS!*

*THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS, AND DO NOT CONTINUE READING IF YOU'RE PLANNING ON READING THE BOOK. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO THAT IS!*

So, I just finished reading Inheritance, and I must say it was one good book. The way Paulini wrapped up the story was perfect, although he left some things unanswered, but I am fine with that.

Although I thought he could have made Eragon's battle with Galbatorix a bit more interesting, it was still enough for me.

So how do you feel about the book? Did it live up to your expectations, or did you not like the way it ended? Feel free to write whatever you like about the book!

Oh and in the end where the author gave us his thanks, he also mention he wasn't done with Alagaësia, and that he would come back to that world some time. So this might not be the last book!
    Last edited by mmoc77a33eacaf; 2011-11-12 at 06:13 PM.

I liked the book a lot, particularly the length of it. I was disappointed with the way Eragon defeated Galbatorix, also surprised that none of the riders ended up with anyone else. Also a bit disappointed that the only people who really died were Izlandi & Carn. Other than that I was pretty happy with it.

I agree that the fight with Galbatorix could have been made a bit more interesting but the issue I have with the book is he didn't end up with Arya. No, instead he felt the need to leave Alagaesia -.-

Besides my annoyance on that part, he did finish it nicely and I felt pretty satisfied (except sad that it is now finished )

It was a really good series (read 1-3 like 4 times and just finished book 4 in under 2 days). While the final fight was kinda eh, if you think about it how else would you by pass all his wards that hes been stacking? who would anticipate a spell like that? I was disappointed that arya became queen rather then become eragons wife/gf whatever you wanna call it. Though the reason for him leaving everything behind was pretty reasonable. I was suprised about the dwarfs and urgals joining the dragon riders pact.
    Wish they would of expanded on angela and her mysteriousness and the 2 female warriors that appeared in book 2 or 3 cant remember

10/10 good read. Will read it again more slowly to enjoy it.

The length of it was good, I quite enjoyed the parts about Roran, those were well done. But I gotta say, I didn't like alot of the things Paolini did.

To start off with, the EPIC romance Eragon was supposed to have? Where is it? Apart from the closeness between Arya and Eragon while they are sparring under Glaedr's watch (which was actually done amazingly) the ExA romance was nowhere to be seen until they held hands OMG on a boat while he was leaving.

The fight against galbatorix, I like the way he was defeated, but the actual fight against him was too short, the fight against murtagh lasted longer, and we read 4+ of those fights throughout the series. I wanted a hefty galbatorix battle, not "ooooo traps, murtagh, oh look a spell! Done"

Also, murtagh and nasuda, that also needed to be played out more. Would have been better if murtagh was in the middle of rescuing her, when the battle begun, so he returns her, everyone wants to kill him, nasuda says no, fight him during the battle, where murtagh then has to go back and fight for galbatorix.

Green dragon. WTF... Did Paolini forget about it till the end? It seemed like it, I think it was fairly obvious Arya was going to be the rider, but not once galbatorix was dead... I was expecting the green dragon to have a bigger role, not Saphiras little toy because thorn ran away with murtagh. You could tell through the writing that Thorn obviously cared for Saphira, for the dragon race and all, but in the end, some, barely even breathing fire dragon gets Saphira. I wanted to see a nice reunion with Saphira and Thorn.

Vault of Souls, Heart of Hearts, saw that coming, true name needed? Saw that coming, only twist was Extra eggs, nice and all, needed I guess if they were to have enough eggs for all the races. So I can live with it. Don't know how galbatorix never noticed any of the missing heart of hearts. A force strong enough to meddle with the world from the sea? Too powerful to not go unnoticed. It's obvious galbatorix had since returned to the island since he destroyed it, since that's where he get the burrowgrub. Even if they are located miles underground. He should have found them.

And apart from killing of Brom, Paolini never really killed off any MAJOR characters, yes he killed The Elf Queen, but was she really a major character? Rowling at least had the balls to kill some people off. Made those books just a titch better. It's a fantasy book, you don't need a cutesy perfect ending. (which reminded me a bit of the lord of the rings ending, nobody becomes the one who saved world, then leaves forever)

I'll be rereading this book in a month or so, to pick out better details in stuff, I mean while I rant about the flaws in this book, it still entertained me, read the first one when I was 11 years old, bought the next 3 on day of release, I love the fantasy genre, and it's not often you find a great one. "cheep cheep" and anything Angela related really was excellent. Anyone else pick up on the thought that she was the original sootheslayer?

/brofist
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    okay, i'm going to try a crazy new theory: i'm going to take my pants off and type this in the nude (shirts are for pussies in the first place). i will also type it slowly and in full capitalized letters so those with impaired vision can see it (though it will not be in caps, since i hold down the shift key HA).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jothrazz View Post
    Anyone else pick up on the thought that she was the original sootheslayer?
    I thought the same, the end was okay, but it left a sick pit in my stomach like something was missing.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Just finished reading it, think i'm going to end up agreeing with other on some points.

1. Galbatorix fight was a bit.... brief? was expecting much more from the worst person in history other than "be not" and die...

2. Ending of story was rather abrupt with no elaboration on this epic romance (however i guess this i for the next book Paolini is inevitably going to write)

3. I was kind of hoping to find out a bit more about Angela, how she knew things etc.

4. Some parts of story were obvious.
    4-1. Predicted the true names, Eldunari, more dragon eggs on vroenguard before this book came out
    4-2. Predicted Arya would be green dragonrider
    4-3. Predicted Murtagh would have a change of heart in the final moments which changed his true name so he could break his bounds (also, budding romance with Nasuada)
    4-4. Roran becomes Earl of Palancar valley, fairly obvious
    4-5. Eragon leaves for new lands, foretold in 1st book so not a huge suprise.
    4-6. Arya becomes queen of elves, again not hugely suprising, however i think she will relinquish that title in the next (unofficial) book when she takes the first batch of riders to eragon for their training and then becomes the envoy for the Riders to alegesia.
    4-7 binding the dwarves and urgals to the spell, yep, saw that coming...

I guess that the conclusion of a saga like this is always going to have some obvious parts, but i think parts of the book were rushed and could have been better

Deleted
    I was expecting something a lot more epic for the last book but I guess I'm fairly satisfied with Inheritance. Although I could guess most of the twists, like Vault of Souls and the rider of the greenie.
    Galby fight was a bit of a letdown due to its shortness, and CP used so many books to describing this char as a "god" or something.
    Ending was my least favorite part. I was really expecting ExA or atleast them both leaving Alagaesia.
    I hope there is an extended edition coming to help us with the unanswered questions. Or maybe a Book 5.
    Overally the book was still very enjoyable and important part of the Cycle.

I'd give it 8/10 rating

I'm fine with how this book ended as long as he comes back and continues with eragon training the new riders and expanding on Angela more because to me the ending had much of the same sadness the The Lord of the Rings had when they sailed away but without the finality and closure that TLOTR had and just sort of left me asking "and then?".

10+ Year Old Account
    The ending felt rushed like it was a summary of what was happening,I wish he would have expanded on it even if it took another 100 pages,just to make it better. I don't know if anyone else felt this way but it seemed that after galb died he just didn't put any more detail into it.
    I also felt like I had already seen the whole ending it was so predictable
    Last edited by Epuration; 2011-11-15 at 08:25 PM.

I really enjoyed the book, it made me so sad that I got pissed off because I knew it was coming and I just didn't want to believe that the prophecy was going to be 100% true also...I'm pretty sure that Angelina was the Soothsayer and that she was a match for galbatorix but I had a feeling she did not want to risk being anywhere near him because if she failed, all of her knowledge would be subject to him and well...that would be terrible..also the fact that she knew she could destroy that whole city was something that really solidified that she was probably the most adept person at magic ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthoren View Post
    I really enjoyed the book, it made me so sad that I got pissed off because I knew it was coming and I just didn't want to believe that the prophecy was going to be 100% true also...I'm pretty sure that Angelina was the Soothsayer and that she was a match for galbatorix but I had a feeling she did not want to risk being anywhere near him because if she failed, all of her knowledge would be subject to him and well...that would be terrible..also the fact that she knew she could destroy that whole city was something that really solidified that she was probably the most adept person at magic ever.
    I was sort of hoping Alagaesia was going to be renamed or something so that it wouldn't come true, but the reason he felt compelled to leave was at least better than I predicted it would be.

Ehhhhhhhhhh.

The book has so many useless side stories. Did we really need a whole chapter on the birth of the kid? You could have cut 300 pages out of the book and it would be the same thing.

I don't like the way it ended, it leaves me feeling bitter and unfulfilled. I think it's lame how Galbatorix was defeated, and how the green dragon didn't come out 'till the very end. There are a lot of things that annoy me about how this series was ended... especially Angela.

I also wonder why it took him three years to write 800 pages. *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with most of all these points. I felt like the the fight with Galbatorix was interesting actually. I think he made Galb to powerful and couldn't come up with a fight to counter this so he took a page from ghost rider to finish him off. I am very very disappointed in Shruikans story i was hoping that he would rebel finally against Galb. I felt like Thorn was left out a lot to he had no character in the story. Angela wtf, who is she. Was also hoping that the green dragon was going to be introduced earlier in the story too and actually do something. I also had the issue with Eragons new powers. He sure was sure of himself at the end talking about how hes the most powerful being now with the hearts kinda sounds familiar to me(which i know why was a major point for leaving). I too wish there was more to the story as well seemed kind of a crappy way to end the series.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only had two major griefs with the book. One, I was hoping the green dragon would play a much larger role in the scheme of things. Two, though I loved the closeness of Eragon and Arya near the beginning of the book, their epic romance wasn''t all that epic.

I absolutely loved that Galbatorix committed suicide rather than Eragon killing him. I spent the entire book wondering how he would manage to kill him.

Edit: and to everyone saying there wasn't enough death. The series is called "Inheritance", the entire theme of the series was the next generation inheriting from their parents. That being said all the main characters had their parents killed.

Eragon - Brom is killed by the Razac
    Roran - Garrow gets BBQ'd
    Nasuada - Ajihad gets killed by the Urgals
    Murtagh - Brom kills Morzan
    Orik - Hrothgar gets killed by Murtagh
    Arya - Izlanzadi get's pummled by Barst
    Katrina - Think's sloan is dead
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-11-17 at 06:40 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I really enjoyed the book as a whole. I think he did an excellent job with the series and this book, specifically.

However, I felt that the ending with Eragon and Arya was massively dissapointing. I hoped (as a lot of people did) that they would end up together.
    I think there is a chance that they will be together eventually. I feel it gets hinted by CP with Arya having a dragon (which both will need training) she is bound to visit Eragon.

All I can say is that I feel there is a 5th book that can lead on from the 4th, which if CP gets around to writing a 5th, will tie up the Eragon + Arya storylines.

Huge letdown. Plot-lines left unfinished all over the place, but what really drove me crazy is the fact that the books climax was at around 75% though and the rest of the book was a race to fill in as many plot-lines as possible.

Ohh and I like how in his Q&A before the release he talked stuff up like it was super important like eragon getting tortured(lasted 1 page), The girl with scars on her wrist showing back up(lasted less then a paragraph), Oh and my favorite the Green Egg. Your really gonna throw something in THAT THE BOOK IS BASED ABOUT the last 5%? I mean come on why the fuck was it even on the cover when all it did was come around and hump for like 5 pages?

Another thing about the plot-lines, He ignored important ones while filling in dumb ones(Bridget getting her revenge anyone?).
    Last edited by Amiright; 2011-11-17 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    paulini, y u kill izlanzadi qq
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Amiright View Post
    Another thing about the plot-lines, He ignored important ones while filling in dumb ones(Bridget getting her revenge anyone?).
    I was incredibly disappointed with Bridget too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I was incredibly disappointed with Bridget too.
    I was kinda expecting a battle to the death...