Thread: My First Gun

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    A Czech 1911. SON I AM DISAPPOINT!
    Technically closer to a Browning High Power than a 1911. Same guy though

Deleted
    This is what is wrong with the American system, guns easy enough to aquire no wonder there are lunatics who shoot up places.

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-12-16 at 11:59 PM.

Since I live in Norway, the idea of owning guns are very strict. But I was a competative target shooter some years ago, I got my first rifle as a 13 year old, it was a (Sig) Sauer 200 str, I liked it a lot and it is the rifle we compete with here in Norway. I will always be more of a rifle guy, but I enjoy pistols to, when I was in the army I had the chance to test different firearms and it was a special feeling. We are talking about glock 17/22 and HK USP compact. The HK was a 9mm (also shot it as a 40 s&w at a range), but it is by far the most enjoyable I've done. Rifles are all about staying calm and focus to the teeth, but pistols? Pure adrenaline!

I hope to own a HK usp compact some day, a very solid and quality gun to have a nice time at the range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oGjCo View Post
    This is what is wrong with the American system, guns easy enough to aquire no wonder there are lunatics who shoot up places.
    Thats debatable, and also not the point of this thread. No one in here seems like a lunatic to me, if you feel the need to debate U.S. gun ownership laws, go start a thread about it, this one is about trying to help a guy make a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Tapaj View Post
    I like the CZ's myself. P01 and 75B
    agreed, i've been firing pistols for a long time and a service member. I love my CZ 95B. I like its balance, weight, and its general accuracy.

The best pistol for you is going to be what you feel most comfortable with. As a bigger gentleman, id recommend going with something a little heavy I.E. .45 in a SIG build, or CZ.

Guns so easily acquired that jaunty youths can even speculate about possible future ownership on the series of intertubes we call the world wide web!!!!!!!!

Should I make the obligatory FPS-game signature observation, or should I remind you that if you had better components you could at least play battlefield 3 or something of that nature?

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Technically closer to a Browning High Power than a 1911. Same guy though
    Well, aside from caliber at least :P

10+ Year Old Account

If you want the most effective and most reliable concealed carry pistol, then go with a .357 snubnosed revolver with a hammer shroud. It will be highly concealable, it will never jam and the .357 is arguably the most effective self defense pistol cartridge there is.

If you want something that is a blast to shoot but still provides adequate self defense properties, then you can't go wrong with an American made 1911.

Personally I recommend a Browning BDM. One of the nicest handguns ever, imo. That or a 1911.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jac_Arcanis View Post
    I have never had the need or urge to own a gun.
    Same here. Thankfully I live in a country that does not allow civilians to carry firearms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    Guns so easily acquired that jaunty youths can even speculate about possible future ownership on the series of intertubes we call the world wide web!!!!!!!!

Should I make the obligatory FPS-game signature observation, or should I remind you that if you had better components you could at least play battlefield 3 or something of that nature?[COLOR="red"]
    ...Playing an FPS is completely different, I have no desire or need to possess a weapon in real life, why would I? what possible reason would you need them, all guns that are freely available for society do is risk its peace, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

p.s I can run BF3 easily, it is just not a game I enjoy, however I do own it.

If you do choose to go with a 1911, i'd suggest going with a Kimber. i love mine, the actions smooth and the gun is really well built. Like others have said, pick the one you're the most comfortable with and then expand after you've put some more lead down range.

...Playing an FPS is completely different, I have no desire or need to possess a weapon in real life, why would I? what possible reason would you need them, all guns that are freely available for society do is risk its peace, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    I guess my implication went way over your head. Nice complete misuse of the absolute power corrupts absolutely by the way. I consider that like a cherry on top of of a very ignorant sundae. stay in school kiddo =)

Deleted
    I think you should buy this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Oh boy, just what we need.
    Ok I'll clarify since you seem to be getting a general impression I'm going to go to the nearest parking lot and start shooting birds..to start. I meant competitive shooting.

I suggest you purchase your gun like you would a good suit. Go to a few gun shops, try out some different models and see what fits you the most. You might be surprised with what you actually purchase.

I was in the market for an upland bird and sporting clay shotgun. I had my sights set on a Browning over and under and thought I'd go down and pick one up. The proprietor of the store instead put about 10 over and under shotguns on the counter and had me see which one fit me the most. I ended up purchasing an SKB shotgun, a model I never even considered. Turns out the SKB shotgun felt like it was made for me, the balance and the stock are perfect for quickly snapping on target and the barrels are short yet accurate.

Shop around and let us know what you end up purchasing!

10+ Year Old Account

<Infracted>
    Ok, ya went there. Normally I wouldn't care but since this is my thread I have to assume that when you say lunatic, you mean me in particular. Guns are easy as hell to get yes, if you go about it illegally. I'm jumping through all the required legal hoops to obtain a handgun. Now if I ever shoot up a place, you can say I told you so. Until then though, try to understand that I'm not a lunatic or some guy that thinks a gun reflects upon my penis. I'm a normal everyday guy that lives in an area with poor police presence, lengthy response times and home invasions in the area where people are assaulted, raped and murdered are on the rise. No I don't think a gun will make it all go away but I'm not going to go without just because "guns are bad and only lunatics want them anyway".

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaroz View Post
    I think you should buy this one.
    lol That is a beautiful gun don't get me wrong, but I don't quite think that's what I need. Trust me when I say that the sound that thing makes is enough to make anyone run like hell though lmao

I love my Springfield XD.

You might want to look into the XDm http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_3.html.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    I love my Springfield XD.

You might want to look into the XDm http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_3.html.
    Thanks for the link, I'll put it to good use. I've been hearing Springfield's name a lot.

<Infracted>
    Do you even know what the process is to buy a gun in the US? Do you know what restrictions there are on buying them?