Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Haste is generally only good when you want to snipe unpredictable damage. In terms of HPS it is a 40% gain over Crit.
    Where did you get that figure? Because I'd bet it's from before the 200% healing crits change, which quite literally doubled the HPS value of crit. Crit is better than haste for HPS now. The exact difference depends on how much raid healing versus single target healing you're doing. For AoE healing, crit is slightly better, while for single target healing crit is far superior (thanks to AA).
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TenDance View Post
    If haste would equal mastery in terms of HPS (or better: lifesavingpower [lsp]) - and it does not - you would still need more spirit or more time spent LB-ing to hold your mana in check.

Which, all in all, diminishes your lps.

CH is a smart heal, so to be at least to 90% effective, it doesn't matter that much where you're throwing it. Therefore, precasting it is perfectly viable. You don't need to cast things like that reactive, but are able to do so preemptive. What everyone should do, because waiting for damage to occur means wasting time you could've spent healing. Therefore, thoughts about "saving lifes with more haste" don't apply to shaman healing. CH can always be cast preemptive and whoever thinks GHW isn't fast enough (or gets boosted by haste) should try things out - the game itself will prove him wrong. Therefore, haste aside from breakpoints isn't an option. And even with breakpoints taken into account, it's still more or less a tool for snipehealing.
    I have to admit, having more haste feels better. But you'll notice that more ooomph for your heals holds a higher value.
    It isn't that dificult to predict incoming damage, the time where you looked at bossanimations is long gone.
    Exactly my thoughts and logic. However i still fail at solo healing 1 side of morchok, and 4 healing makes this fight a walk in a park.

Dark phase during Warlord is still almost impossible to heal. Best(furthest) we got so far was half of 2nd dark phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Chort View Post
    Exactly my thoughts and logic. However i still fail at solo healing 1 side of morchok, and 4 healing makes this fight a walk in a park.
    From my experiences, there are three key factors in solo healing it as a shaman:
    1. Time your cooldowns. NS, SWG and SLT are all quite powerful on that fight. Use them well. Try to have at least one up for the final 20%, but don't hesitate to pop cooldowns to get people back up so they're not low when he hits 20%.
    2. Watch the Black Blood timer. If you drop a healing rain on Morchok right before, it's okay if everyone is down to 10% health when it hits. You'll have lots of time to heal them up or let your HoTs tick.
    3. Anticipate damage. Stomp will deal some damage to everyone, but mostly to two people. Resonating crystal will deal damage to the other three. If you know what damage is incoming and when, you can focus on getting those people up to where they need to be and not have to worry about the rest for a while (again, let HoTs tick).

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think i should go for 1267 haste cap since i have 4 x t13?
    May be some suggestions about my gear? ( hope to get better chest soon )

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no 1267 Haste breakpoint as far as I know, are you sure you've been looking at Resto Shaman breakpoints and not Resto Druid? At any rate, the two breakpoints commonly discussed are 916 and 2005 (both non-goblin numbers, I don't have the gobby numbers memorized), the highest HPS for progression fights is 916 Haste, then Mastery until you get nearly full BiS Heroic gear at which point it is advised to take the 2005 Haste breakpoint and then stack Mastery.

That is the simplest answer, for Shamans it is very difficult to set a defined best stat, as all 3 are fairly close in terms of throughput, and much of your gearing will depend upon raid comp and role, look at some of the guides the OP posted for more details on how to use each of the secondaries.
    "I love the name of honor more than I fear death
    -Shakespear, Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyhealz View Post
    There is no 1267 Haste breakpoint as far as I know, are you sure you've been looking at Resto Shaman breakpoints and not Resto Druid?
    There's some talk going around where 1267 rating (assuming you have 4 piece T13) to allow you to reach that next HR tick (3050-something). With 4 piece t13 + BL/Hero, you're going to have (optimistically) ~25-30% uptime on that next tick of HR.

Depends on content and your current haste, I'd say. 1267 will cost you some throughput when BL/4T13 isn't up, in the form of whatever amount of crit you gave up to get the haste, but increase your healing by a decent bit during BL/4T13. Overall, it comes out as being fairly neutral. The less crit you had to sacrifice to reach 1267 the better, obviously. For any fight where you can line up 4T13 with burst damage, it's good. For ones where you can't, less so. Heroic Yor'sahj comes to mind as a fight where max throughput really only matters during one minute of the 9-10 minute fight, making 1267 quite lovely. Madness likewise. Hagara, Ultraxion, Gunship and Spine are decent examples of where it might not be the best of plans.

Deleted
    Raiding atm 25m HC, i'll sugest you one thing, screw spirit, go for healing rain breackpoint (3049/2892 haste).. Nothing is so powerfull than haste in DS raid.
    U got plenty of time to LB with TC for some extra mana. 2nd stat aim for mastery, speced with FI rain is just op, healing evryone for 3k noncrit.
    If u'r raiding 10m HC then i'll suggest you the riptide breakpoint (2005 haste). And again screw all spirit, go for haste cap, then all mastery.
    GL in further raids. Wish you'll test it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, ok, didn't even think about the breakpoints with a 30% Haste buff active. I don't have any numbers on that but my gut feeling would be not to do it, perhaps just because its something I'm not used to, but it would really depend on how much Haste you can reforge away. If after you've reforged to Mastery you still have 1.1k Haste or so, it might be worth it to grab the 1267, if only for slightly increased throughput during intensive phases (which is when you should be popping 4pT13).

As for the FI post above, what are everyone's new opinions on FI now that it should affect the first tick of HR, giving it a slightly higher HPS and HPM alteration than before? My only thought on it is that when you really need to use (end of Ultraxion, P2 of Madness, etc) it seems like a waste to spend the global on it. I can see if you could pre cast it, as you can on some fights, it seems like a neat talent, but it doesn't seem to be worth it if you have to spend the global while healing your butt off.
    "I love the name of honor more than I fear death
    -Shakespear, Julius Caesar

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my armory ( i posted at the beginning of this threat as well): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vepr/advanced

I am 2/8 in DS HC 10 men. I never used spiritwalker's grace before until i got my 4 x t13 - now i use it almost on every CD ( don't get me wrong i still check out and wait when needed ).

For reforge i have 917 haste > mastery > crit ( i reforge out of spirit and haste ).

I was wondering since if you have 916 haste + raid buffs (5% haste and no lock) and you pop Spiritwalker's grace ( which you can do every 2 mins ) will it give me extra tick on healing rain? ( SPWG last 20 secs so it means two healing rains )

If after you've reforged to Mastery you still have 1.1k Haste or so, it might be worth it to grab the 1267, if only for slightly increased throughput during intensive phases (which is when you should be popping 4pT13).
    That sums it up quite well, yes. The breakpoint is not worth going for if you're not close to it already when not stacking haste, but most people are. Personally I'm actually over it without trying, mainly because all my reforges go into getting rid of spirit rather than getting rid of haste.

As for the FI post above, what are everyone's new opinions on FI now that it should affect the first tick of HR, giving it a slightly higher HPS and HPM alteration than before? My only thought on it is that when you really need to use (end of Ultraxion, P2 of Madness, etc) it seems like a waste to spend the global on it. I can see if you could pre cast it, as you can on some fights, it seems like a neat talent, but it doesn't seem to be worth it if you have to spend the global while healing your butt off.
    The main problem with FI is still that it costs you three talent points, and we don't have any to spare. The only compelling argument for it I've seen is using it on Yor'sahj hc, but you honestly shouldn't need it there. For that fight, just stack mastery (as you should be doing anyway) and prosper.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably look noobish, but i have a problem with mana on Warlord Heroic.

After first black phase i use mana tide, after 2nd black phase shadow priest uses mana hymn, however RIGHT after 3rd black phase each healer runs out of mana and my mana tide is still on CDs. Does Anyone has any suggestions? Should i stack more spirit? More crit?

armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vepr/advanced

Thank You!

Do you have a log for us to look at? Right now you haven't exactly given us a ton of information.

I mean, your gear looks pretty good (outside of the poor gemming in your chest), so it would have to do with either play from you or the other healers -- or even the possibility of needing higher dps.

Just not enough information to give any accurate answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Such a fast reply I will try to find out if we do wow-logs anymore, we are turning more casual way, or i will and record one tonight. However, our setup:

Feral tank.

Druid, paladin and shaman heals.

Fire mage, SPriest, Elemental, Enhance, Frost Dk and Hunter.

During first black phase - spiritlink totem + 4xt13 feral bonus, During 2nd: Aura Mastery + tranquility.

I spam GHW during black phase. When we stack - i solo heal myself and 4 ranged.

P.S.: I hate (in a good way) LFR gear and decided to gem lol gems into it - they not going to make big difference anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chort, I see you're specced into Tellluric Currents. Do make use of that. There's not all that much damage incoming during the bounce phases so that you should be able to spare the one or the other GCD for a Lightning Bolt. When do you pop your T13-4pc? If you don't really badly need to use it for healing, use it for some additional LBing inbetween those healing rains.

Now, I'm not raiding 10-man on my shaman, but in 25-man, I run into the camp position for the black phases and set down a healing rain before the phase begins. That provides a little cushioning to raid hp. Also, make sure that you take your healing stream totem with you and that you're sitting in exactly the group that you're healing during that phase so that they'll benefit from those extra 5k hps.

Maybe it would also help a bit if you fully specced into Totemic Focus. Another tick of spirit link, another second of that 10% dmg reduce may ease the healing load a tiny bit more. Also see to it that you're facing the people that you're healing. Your weapon proc is totally OP. Make use of that.

Let's squeeze as much healing out of that mana that you have as possible ^^

In regards to mana tide... Are the bounce phases so much shorter in 10-man? I put down my tide after the first black phase as well and can use it again near the end and I do use it, and well before the final phase. Maybe place it already before the first black phase? People usually aren't at 100% mana after some 8 bounces anymore, so it definitely doesn't go to waste (I know because another shamy in my raid usually puts down their tide at that moment, and it's definitely not wasted). Just don't forget to set down healing stream again after that.

Now, I'm not a big fan of reforging out of spirit... but to each their own. And you do have that trinket that I'd kill for and that every shaman should have. So...

Are your dps dutifully interrupting the eye tentacles? Our shadow priests have especially specced into their Silence talent for this encounter to provide an additional interrupt. Also, your shadow priest's divine hymn is very valuable. Use it in the second black phase if it helps you with your mana.

It's also important that you kill all the tentacles ASAP, but keep in mind that it doesn't help at all if they all die at the same time. The incoming dmg lessens a great deal as soon as some of the tentacles are dead. This is something that my raid had to learn as well. There would be INSANE damage and then lots of tentacles would die at the same time. Ever since the tentacles die in a decent manner, one after the other, the incoming damage is only high at the start and then quickly gradually declines, and healing black phases has become a lot easier.

PS: Some of your gear is really yummy *steals*

Edit: Do you have Blessing of Might up? (You should, considering your raid setup). If not, have one of your dps shamans set down mana spring totem.
    Last edited by Seriss; 2012-01-19 at 10:22 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    it's difficult to be under this cap when you start to have several 397 gear pieces. But if you are, it won't probably cost much to gget there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decided not to create another thread - may be someone will read this:

We can not go past 5th onslaught on heroic warmaster - always at least 3 people die. For our CDs we use (in this order): spirit link totem, divine guardian(paladin's aoe shield), dispersion, cauterize, and for 5th onslaught we don't have any CDs - so few of us dies.

Here are logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/mjhpy84xzs5nf0ro/

I would like some input on our raid and me, since i am way behind druid on heals - resto shaman - Vepr. Thank you!

Deleted
    My main is holy paladin alt resto shaman.
    I had the opportunity to heal ds heroic bosses on my shaman due to the need of it on spine.

My paladin fully haste stacked has a healing cast time of 1.9 seconds (aside from infusion of light). This is quite a long cast even while going full haste. Now take my resto shaman full mastery: riptide on cd obviously which gives my greater healing waves a 1.6 sec cast time. This is one of the reasons I haven't considered going haste. 1.6 is quick enough to save people's asses. Chain Heal might be a 2.1 sec cast but using tidal waves properly would make up for any lack of haste possibly imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Depends on content and your current haste, I'd say. 1267 will cost you some throughput when BL/4T13 isn't up, in the form of whatever amount of crit you gave up to get the haste, but increase your healing by a decent bit during BL/4T13. Overall, it comes out as being fairly neutral. The less crit you had to sacrifice to reach 1267 the better, obviously. For any fight where you can line up 4T13 with burst damage, it's good. For ones where you can't, less so. Heroic Yor'sahj comes to mind as a fight where max throughput really only matters during one minute of the 9-10 minute fight, making 1267 quite lovely. Madness likewise. Hagara, Ultraxion, Gunship and Spine are decent examples of where it might not be the best of plans.
    I'm fairly sure you would want extra ticks on healing rain during Hagara Watery Entrenchment, Ultraxion last minute, Gunship while Gariona+Blackhorn are both up, Spine during Nucleus ticks/rolls: yes pls.
    Last edited by mmocce0f4a8a81; 2012-02-06 at 09:25 AM.

You're not way behind. Substract his Tranq and you're more or less even - at least in a realm everyone would call "balanced".

If you need more throughput on demand, try to get your hands on a MWC and use it in conjunction with SWG. Should align pretty well.

In terms of onslaught... do you utilize AMZ? As far as soloing these goes... maybe you could try a hunter. If deterrence doesn't negate the whole damage, you could go for a glyphed raptor strike + deterrence, but this quite hard to execute and would need some movement from your tank to "present" him a target for his raptor strike in range of the onslaught.

On a sidenote: try to get some more DPS out of your ranged. If those pesky dragons aren't around, things get way more easy.

What everyone who is bashing mastery and advocating crit / haste / reforging out of spirit is generally ignoring is that if you are running around in +ilvl 393 full normal with a few HC items, and with every tank decked in 4-set bonus, while they work on any of the first 6 HMs is failing to realise is that they are currently "overgearing" the content. As well as the amount if incomming damage vs. the amount of HPs that their raid is possible to dish out is significantly higher than the first 50 Madness HC kills, and that mastery ONLY is good when people is smashed below 65% often (as well as the spell usage of an encounter, e.g. HR, Riptide, EFL doesn't gain anything outside the breakpoints and with Tidal Waves, you need a rather high usage of CH in order to make haste being close to be more desireable than mastery and crit).
    Furthermore, if they run with a group who doesn't have to look at their manabar but can dish out spells (e.g holy palas being able to run 3x HR + LoD without even being close to running oom) there will rarely be situations where people get below 80%, which means that you are "fighting for the precious HPS" instead of fighting to keep people from dying.
    Furthermore, people who are suggesting to reforge out of spirit is usually running around with the trinket from spine, and yes - if you got 800-990 extra spirit and made it work before then yes, you will have way too much mana then, however, spirit is still a very good stat since it also increases the mana that your fellow healers get from Mana Tide.

In short: giving the shamans secondary stats values is highly depending on your gear level vs. progression vs. raidsize just to name a few of the major factors in balancing your stats. Mastery will always be a stronger stat than haste and crit for 25man HM progression - Except for obscure bosses of which I can't really recall anyone atm..
    However, are you playing semi-casual with normal cleared until you are close in being decked in with normal loots, well then mastery isn't as "good" since it no longer becomes a fight to keep people alive, but it becomes a fight to top people of first, and that is what everyone seems to forget as well as manageing their Water Shied, Earth Shield, Ancestral Vigor on tanks, pushing yourself to do damage in order to secure a kill (Ultra - priests + shamans were obligated to push their damage in order to make the enrage), uptime on Healing Stream totem just to name a few, but what I read time and time on this forum is "I've stacked crit / haste / str /agility and it works for me" and horray I am glad it works for you, but that doesn't change the fact that there is math (which I am well aware not always is possible to use anyway useful in a raid enviroment).
    It is the same arguement with "Look at ShamanA from TopguildB he did this, and therefore it must be the best!" which is completly jibberish.
    Last edited by Eijnar; 2012-02-06 at 10:56 PM. Reason: cake