Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

I've read dodgy things about this game

I would like to buy TOR since most of my 5+ year old wow veteran friends left for it, and cause blizzard pissed in my face with their next expansion announcement, so I don't have much left to do in wow.

HOWEVER, my friends' praise of the game notwithstanding, I've read how EA/Bioware shut down the "Cancel subscription" feature in the last day of the first month, released the PVP part of the game filled with bugs and exploitable features and banned people for life in the first month of the game.

From an outside reader's perspective this looks like a mafia controlled MMO. Is the gameplay and service better from players' perspectives or are these faults spot on?

Thanks

WoW would be a lot better if anti-social scumbags, botters and bug abusers got banned for life. It shows Bioware puts the quality of the community/game above briefly maximizing profits and that is a good thing.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I've read how EA/Bioware shut down the "Cancel subscription" feature in the last day of the first month . . .
    This was proven to be false. It was an issue with some browsers and the website. This was fix almost immediately. The cancel button was never intentionally hidden and was reported by a great many people to still be there on the same day that people where reporting the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    released the PVP part of the game filled with bugs and exploitable features and banned people for life in the first month of the game.
    It is true that they had issues with the PvP planet, Ilum. They never banned anyone outright for what the community perceived to be exploitation. In fact, the majority of what was reported as an exploit was never proven by BW after they did an investigation in to the issue. I honestly think that a lot of the rumors that where reported as exploits where, in fact, trolls.

Also, a LOT of the reported lifetime bans where proven to be false by the lead dev himself on their forums.

10+ Year Old Account

Hmh

You'll find in fun for a short ammount of time, but then you'll realize you're just doing stuff you've been doing in wow forever, once you hit 50 it's not really anything special that makes you want to play it, And I'm sure people will realize it, and just go back to good ol' WoW.

SWTOR is definetely a solid game within the MMO genre, but WoW is still the reigning champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ano
    Stop being french, it's just shift-2.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was really looking forward to this game, used a friends account to try it.

Too laggy for my taste and cannot skip cinematics i enjoy logging some times to power level.

Out of 10 i would give this game. 6/10 ( based on a 1 hour play)

Its a fun game with good value, specially in the leveling process. At max level there is still a lot of room for improvements.
    I keep my WoW and SWOTOR suscriptions active, even though i'm currently 90% on swtor , and maybe 10% on WoW

Deleted
    I played WoW for a long time and this really wasn't the game for me. Although I was a massive fan of the old republic (both 1 & 2) I felt this game was just a long bore e.g. the main story quests being bunched with kill 20 this collect 30 this quests which really kill story immersion. I did like the concept of the bg's though I will admit (Mostly Hutt Ball) however it just didn't match upto WoW's combat feel to me personal (A good example).

I do regret buying the game I was in the same position as you, 'Oh get SWTOR its great' is what a bunch of IRL friends were saying, I got to 29 and ended up bored with my friends quitting a few days before me at level 35. IMO wait it out, see if your friends will play it for a few weeks into max level - But I did dislike my experience with the game

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

Too laggy for my taste and cannot skip cinematics i enjoy logging some times to power level.

Gunna be honest, I'm not sure if you mean FPS 'lag' or actual server lag but I had never experienced either of these issues - And if you dislike cinematic this probably wasn't meant to be the right game for you
    Last edited by mmoc8f80ecf50e; 2012-02-08 at 07:47 PM.

Its a fun game with good value, specially in the leveling process. At max level there is still a lot of room for improvements.
    I keep my WoW and SWOTOR suscriptions active, even though i'm currently 90% on swtor , and maybe 10% on WoW

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post

You can skip cinematics and dialogue portions. Just hit the space bar.

The problem with "new" MMOs is that they have to compete with a game that's been polished for 6+ years. Of course the game isn't going to be as good as a game that's
    been out that long. That said, it sounds like the game has an amazing story, but meh after that. Personally, I wouldn't sub to what amounts to a single player game. But to each their own, I'm not bashing it, since I haven't played it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudgnome View Post
    SWTOR is definetely a solid game within the MMO genre, but WoW is still the reigning champion.
    While I agree, I went back and tried to play WoW the other day and found myself missing a lot of the things that SWTOR offers, including:

- An all-around better questing experience due to:
    - Better quest tracking (i.e. objectives showing up on my mini-map)
    - Automatic quest reward filtering (only the rewards that my character or companions can use are shown)
    - Cutscenes; I thought they would get on my nerves, but I love them
    - A better stock-UI (e.g. I don't like having to look at the top left to see health bars)
    - A profession system that is streets-ahead
    - AOE-looting
    - And much more

All of that being said, I do agree that WoW is the more polished game, here's to hoping that the SWTOR devs get their heads outta their asses and fix some of the major issues; my problems aren't with the PVP, but with the code itself - I'm sick of my FPS dropping in my holoterminal room or in the Fleet (even though my PC is more than enough to handle the game on Ultra), I'm sick of getting dismounted if I move right after the mount cast bar finishes, and I'm sick of the clunky combat system (especially when it comes to transitioning targets). And while I understand that this is a new(er) game, and bugs are to be expected, some of these should have never made it to the retail version.

But honestly, I think SWTOR was worth buying just for the story, it is sticking around after hitting 50 that is the hard part.

I myself think people have to realize that MMO end-game as we know it has boiled down to a grind and how well you conceal it. Arenas were a grind, leveling was a grind, the old PvP system was the worst grind in history of grinds. PvE has and always will be a grind. MMO's in general is based on grinding since you end up repeating the same content again and again until you can't stomach it anymore. WoW's been like that for ages and TOR isn't going to be much different in terms of end game from what I have seen.

What makes TOR stand out is its story-telling focus. Even if the game falls flat on its arse when you reach end game you will leave it somewhat satisfied unless you no-life throgh it. That's the biggest thing going for it TOR has as an MMO. It's actually the only MMORPG today that puts enough focus on the modern RPG element which is dialouge trees.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the shadieness over TOR is massively overestimated for some reason. The game has had issues, but it's not as bad as the impressions you seem to have here. TOR is actually a fairly solid launch, if not one of the best for an MMO in a long time despite the ability delay issue. I advise you to not read these forums too much to get an impression of the game. It's more constructive to just give it a go if your friends support it that wholeheartedly. If you are still unsure of the quality you get you should look for let's plays or channels with a certain level of quality for given an impression of games on youtube.

Forum bitching always is worse than the reality. TOR is a fairly safe game to play. Well, for the most part. It's still an MMO and addictive, but much easier to play casually or on your own if you feel like it imo, than most MMO's.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

If you are looking for PvE... well just go to whichever game you have the most friends in. SWTOR PvE is almost identical to WoW PvE (but with less time to polish so WoW PvE is more advanced). If you are looking for PvP... DO NOT GO TO SWTOR. SWTOR PvP is possibly the worst PvP ive ever seen. I played the game for PvP solely, and it was horrible. Super laggy warzones are pretty much the only way to do PvP. While class balance is mostly ok (jk sages/inquisitors in huttball OP), its still fairly similar to WoW PvP, but just very laggy. Also, if you roll republic you will always lose. And if you roll imperial then you will always play huttball (the one WZ that you can play with the same faction). Just about every server is massively favored towards imperials (thus the world PvP on Ilum is impossible). Also, imperials have many very slight advantages in their mirror classes, which annoys me.

EDIT: This is assuming you are trying to choose a game to stick with for sometime. I would highly suggest picking up SWTOR even for just a month though, its an amazing story-driven leveling experience. I almost want to start my account back up and play through a few other class stories :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

If you like KoToR and willing to pay $15/month to play that game then you'll like SWTOR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    I myself think people have to realize that MMO end-game as we know it has boiled down to a grind and how well you conceal it. Arenas were a grind, leveling was a grind, the old PvP system was the worst grind in history of grinds.
    While you say MMO end-game I am going to presume you mean WoW, but I have to pretty much shake my head after reading that. I think your missing the point; and its almost like saying getting through the COD MW3 campaign is one long grind. Some of the fondest memories from the game I have had were from those three examples, hell arena at night with friends was sooooo addictive as well as leveling with friends and exploring - Your sort of assuming that something that doesn't have an ending is just a long grind (Minecraft).

I maybe just interpreting the word "grind" wrongly, but the way you describe it I must really have loved those 7 years of grinding.

I haven't played wow in 2 months and the only thing I miss is my warlock. The Sage dot tree doesn't feel as 'evil' to me, and my the Inquis storyline fell apart after act I. Beyond that neither one feels like a 'warlock' to me (Mage like or Shadow Priest like, yes, but not quite the lock feel) Other than that I love SWtOR and have no desire to go back to wow until MoP. Some people aren't happy in SWtOR (due to bugs or UI or playstyle or realizing that it's the 'same old grind) and I get that, but for me it's great. I knew that I would be leveling, running hardmodes for gear, and then doing Ops and that's what I wanted. I love the gear grind, I love progression, and i can't wait for new tiers of raids.

But if those things are what you hate about WoW/Rift then this game isn't for you. No big deal, all games aren't for all people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa Saurus View Post
    While you say MMO end-game I am going to presume you mean WoW, but I have to pretty much shake my head after reading that. I think your missing the point; and its almost like saying getting through the COD MW3 campaign is one long grind. Some of the fondest memories from the game I have had were from those three examples, hell arena at night with friends was sooooo addictive as well as leveling with friends and exploring - Your sort of assuming that something that doesn't have an ending is just a long grind (Minecraft).

I maybe just interpreting the word "grind" wrongly, but the way you describe it I must really have loved those 7 years of grinding.
    Grindng is a term used for anything that becomes so repetitive that it is a pain to do. By those standards people have been grinding in WoW since Vanilla and still do (farming dungeons and arena for points). I fail to see what is wrong about what I said but my point was not exclusively tied to WoW or TOR. Everything becomes repetitive over time. FPS, action games, RPG's, etc. But MMO's are based around a game that has no announced end to it. Hence it is more repetitive than any other genre. See my point? MMO's base theselves on driving people to repeat content until they can push out new content. Be it PvP or PvE. They use point systems for it now, in the past it was reputation based. It's basically a time sink.

Is this clearer? I was basically pissing on the whole "it's just another grind" comment people make sometimes while showcasing what TOR does itself to break up that monotone mood. Story focus.

I may have been a little too brief, but I'm a little confused as to what you shake your head at. It's a fairly known fact that anything you do in life can be repetitive over time. Games, work, hobbies, sex (well, I'm just saying it can, girls keep talking about it). Everything. Nonetheless, I was not talking about Minecraft either, which is a sandbox game and made to cater to your creative side. MMO's are usually not. Unless you involve yourself in roleplay. I've played enough MMO's to know that. I was actually pointing out how suspect to grinding all MMO's are because their very design.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-02-08 at 08:24 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

The game is fun, but you have to have realistic expectations. It's been out for less than two months, so naturally there won't be an abundance of content to do right away (like in WoW). The Devs are definitely pumping content out at a respectable rate, though. Much quicker than WoW, hopefully it'll be about on-par with Rift.

If you come to the game with grand expectations of ten raids, you're going to hate it. If you come with the expectations of it being a new game with content still being developed, you'll probably like it.

I've heard reports of massive lag in WZ, but there have been FEW true game breaking bugs (if any). Mostly people just spreading propaganda. Because that's fun for people.

Honestly I play both right now because I have a lot of friends that haven't converted (yet). But looking at content and what BW is talking about doing in the coming months, my $15 is definately being better spent on SWTOR than WoW.

Is the game earthshattering and super original and amazing? Mmmmm no, not really. It's a good evolution of a well matured genre and not an outright copy that says it's better than the leading MMO (*cough*rift*cough*). It stands on it's own very very well, and honestly the complaining about bugs makes me laugh quite often. Hell, in WoW you can still charge/blink through the world after how many years?

Honestly my biggest complaint right now in SWTOR is not having the same information access I have in WoW. In other words, I don't know where certain items drop, or which vendors have what on what planet. Atlasloot spoiled me a lot in that respect, but that boils down to just overall GUI elements need to be opened to the community to fix, as they can't seem to make everyone happy (as is proven by them constantly reworking the action bars).

Warts and all (all games have them, yes even WoW), it's showing that they definately are working for their subscriptions. YMMV, but it's my opinion.