Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    So Ladies and gents - Another warrior steps up to the plate in search of aid, in the ever important battle to increase DPS.

The scenario is quite simple - My guild is currently 4/8 heroic 25 man and currently tackling the formidable Ultraxion heroic. With such a demanding boss, every ounce of DPS I can pull myself is certainly a requirement.....except - I'm struggling to even pull substantial amounts, let alone ground breaking.

Like many, I recently switched to arms from fury due to the higher DPS gain that the spec offers for this latest tier, yet since doing so my DPS has clearly dropped significantly, to the point its actually getting quite depressing and I can't help but feel, dare I say, carried?. I first attributed this issue to getting to know the spec - something I thought I understood well enough, by generally following the basics of MS > CS > OP > Slam when all three are on cooldown as my general rotation and of course stance dance macroing all the appropriate abilities. Yet despite my best efforts, it clearly hasn't been working out too well for me, as was made more evident by my DPS on Ultraxion this evening.

The guild currently houses 2 other Arms warriors that I pale in comparison to, yet even these guys are unsure as to where I'm going wrong. To give some examples - Despite recount exclaiming that we had used similar numbers of abilities - These guys were perhaps sitting at 37k and I was just hanging around 27k.

Gear is not really an issue in this case as, although there are a few discrepancies between us - there isn't anything substantial such as one guy is in all heroics and I'm in just normal gear.

So down to the character in question - I can be found at http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...riimjaw/simple
    As some side notes - I am aware of a missing enchant, I am also aware of the shield wall glyph - this is being used simply for Hour of Twilight soaking. Anything else is up for scrutiny

In terms of World of Logs parses - the general raid parses can be found here http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b...411/?enc=wipes

Whiles an example of my own failing can be found here http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b...?s=9150&e=9299

The other comparable warriors come in the form of Tratts and Theldaron. (HI TRATTS! :P).

As ANOTHER side note - after tonight's raid I have experimented with the in game latency tool. It was noticeable that even though unticked - the tool itself was locked at 400ms. With an average MS of 20-30 I have since set the tool to 30Ms. I haven't had an actual chance to test this our fully, nor am I expecting 10k extra DPS to appear from such a change, but having read into this field a little, it surely wouldn't cause any more harm lowering this figure to nearer my ping, than the 400ms I was being offered, essentially negating and limiting the queuing of some abilities.

At this stage I'm actually quite ashamed of my level of performance and feel that I truly am letting the guild down. Any information, tips and advice that could be offered to help me further maximise myself is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for the efforts.

James
    Last edited by mmocef12196b05; 2012-02-10 at 03:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    First of all, run your character through the reforge optimizer at wowreforge.com
    I would also suggest dropping Blitz for Field Dressing to make things easier for your healers, the extra rage on charge is quite useless in my opinion. That's not really advice for dps, just advice in general.

If you don't mind, I'm going to look at the log from your Zon'ozz kill on the 6th instead. If there is a specific reason that I shouldn't use that log let me know but I rather use that one because I don't have to account for things like Heroic Will, I also prefer looking at kills over wipes.

Prior to the Execute phase you only used MS every 6.6 seconds. I really don't intend to sound mean but that is just really, REALLY bad. If you want to do good dps, this number should not be higher than 5 seconds. If you can fix this a lot of your problems will be solved.
    You missed a whole bunch of TfB procs (6 of them) and the amount of Slams you used is really low too.

The conclusion to draw here is that you're not using anywhere near enough abilities. Looking at a segment where you could have used a total of 115 on-GCD abilities you used 78. Imagine what your dps would look like if you could fit an extra ~50% in the same time frame. I'm sure you probably realize how large the potential for improvement is here :P

Uhm, you could also fit Heroic Leap into your rotation (during CS) but please don't do this until you get much better at using your primary damaging abilities.
    (All of the above actually fits in on the other Warrior I looked at as well (Tratts) but to a much lesser extent.)

As far as cooldowns go you could also do a lot better.
    You only used Deadly Calm once, should have been twice. This also goes for Blood Fury. Try to sync Blood Fury with other CDs like DC or Reck.
    Unless the fight is long enough to use Recklessness twice you should hold on to it until the Execute phase.
    You should be able to fit more Berserker Rages than you did.
    You should be able to utilize your 2t12 bonus once more than you did. (prio over slam)

I think I covered everything. I would suggest you work on utilizing all your globals first and when you get comfortable with that work on perfecting your cooldown usage.
    Last edited by Siri; 2012-02-10 at 10:33 AM.

Deleted
    Even the LFR version of Gurth is better than the HC Skullstealer. Get one. The tents can help a lot. Just make sure you're within range of Ultrax to make use of them. My 2cp

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heirak View Post
    Even the LFR version of Gurth is better than the HC Skullstealer. Get one. The tents can help a lot. Just make sure you're within range of Ultrax to make use of them. My 2cp
    Telling people to improve their dps by getting loot that is random is not very helpful advice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Telling people to improve their dps by getting loot that is random is not very helpful advice.
    Shallow, but still advice if he is neglecting to use the LFR version if he has it.

edit: besides, what do you expect me to do after your post??? :P
    Last edited by mmoc121f3efc14; 2012-02-10 at 01:48 PM.

Deleted
    Hi Lohe.

First up I'd like to thank you for your reply and to be straight up off the bat - I'd say alot of it doesn't come as a surprise to me.
    So i'll just throw up a check list of replies to each of your points :3

1) I'll check out Wowreforge - Lately i've been using Askmrrobot so my gears currently optimized to what that suggested. WoWreforge suggests a whole different optimization so, i'll go with your information and change it all to what WoWreforge suggests .

2) Field dressing > Blitz - I can also agree with. I'd totally forgotten about respeccing out of this in favour of blitz - at the time I was just experimenting to see if the rage it offers would have been superior - but clearly not. It'll be changed ASAP.

No issues with the Zon'ozz fight

3) In terms of GCDs - I agree full heartedly this seems to be where the vast majority of the problem is. Without trying to make excuses - I'm actually starting to wonder if the majority of this could be down to some GCD lag I've actually been experiencing and thinking nothing of. In that - When in our 25 man raids my GCD atleast on my end seems to experience terrible lag - As i'm hammering keys - the ability will become 'available' whilest the GCD is say at - the 10pm position on the ability icon - yet when on my own against say, a training dummy - this doesn't exist. I'm not accounting this for everything - but I'm wondering if its having some sort of effect. Some of it is down to rage management too - I find myself using far too many HS's, effectivley rage starving me at key moments.

4) And again - Once again I fully agree with CD management - its something that, after losing my deathwish (rest its fury soul ) I've not greatly paid heed to - as currently some of them are placed in the most awkward positions, its something I need to refine asap.

In terms of weapons - you'd actually be quite surprised what has been available to me.....the past 2 weeks we've taken down Madness - 4 Gult's have dropped 3 of which have gone for offspec..... Although an upgrade - I've personally been holding onto my DKP, favouring the Heroic Specimen Slicer....without sounding like a complete newb, I've had a strange mentality that, although a DPS increase - I'd prefer the secondary stats on the experimental slicer....yet its actually really dawning on me that I need to escape that mentality!

I'll keep you posted

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
    Although an upgrade - I've personally been holding onto my DKP
    This is why I hate DKP, how can not everyone agree that this is wrong?

Raid DPS Halp

Hi there, I've been on these forums for a long time learning from general DPS threads, and I managed to out dps almost all of my fellow warriors when Fury was the spec to be. However, since switching to arms, I find myself consistently outperformed by the other warrior in our raid, and I'd like to figure out why. I'm already aware that I'm notoriously bad at managing CDs, especially short ones like Berserker Rage, Inner Rage, but more importantly, I'd like to find out why my rotation seems to be doing so much less damage than the other warrior's. Originally, I followed the prescribed Charge->Rend->CS->MS opener with a prepot and DC/Blood Fury + Recklessness/IR once DC drops, then transitioning into MS->OP->Slam (CS when down). For some reason however, the other warrior seemed to always outdps me on single target fights using a double slam rotation (delaying MS usage), which is something I've been led to believe via these forums is a serious nono. Additionally, although I havn't been using my stancedance macros this past week in order to see if latency was affecting my DPS as a result, previous weeks have found me consistently below the other warrior even though he used no stance dance macros and I did. I outdps him without fail on Yor'sahj, but in the other single target fights, I get creamed by a large margin.
    If there's anything I can improve on, whether it be gear or CD management, please let me know, as I hate being the one who underperforms come raid time.
    Armory: ...us.battle.net/wow/en/character/boulderfist/Lambaste/simple...
    Logs:
    Morchok
    Him - ...worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t0t1a542wvzr81dd/details/40/?s=561&e=859...
    Me - ...worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t0t1a542wvzr81dd/details/23/?s=561&e=859...
    Yor'sahj
    Him - ...worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t0t1a542wvzr81dd/details/40/?enc=bosses&boss=55312...
    Me - ...worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-t0t1a542wvzr81dd/details/23/?enc=bosses&boss=55312...
    Ultraxion
    Him - ...worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ewcslnajrxsrzqi1/details/7/?s=5319&e=5660...
    Me - ...worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ewcslnajrxsrzqi1/details/14/?s=5319&e=5660...
    (For Ultraxion, I'm aware my executioner dropped, but that was because my girlfriend chose that exact moment to tackle me; its usually not an issue: Most confusing is the fact that despite apparently having more Slam,MS,OP, AND HS applications, he still pulled far more [not a little, but alot] DPS than I did by the end of the fight. He finished in the top 3 while I floundered somewhere below the top 10 on the meters)

I'm terrible at analyzing logs myself, and after reading much of the expert advice given by Lohe and other helpful members of the MMO-Champion community any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I had to butcher those links in order to get them past the forum restriction, but copy pasting should work fine as long as you don't copy the additional ...'s before and after the link.
    Last edited by OhTeeSee; 2012-02-13 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Forum Restriction

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnermighty View Post
    Fixed up the links for you.
    Thanks a bunch!

In other news, I just finished running a series of SimCraft parses with 50,000 iterations over a 350s span, and apparently I should be pulling somewhere in the neighborhood of 45,000 DPS on Ultraxion at my gear level. Clearly I am no where near this figure, so if anyone has any questions that will help them figure out what I need to do, you are more than welcome to ask.

Also, does anyone know how I would SimCraft a heroic level training dummy, or if that's even possible? I rarely break 30k on these (generally unbuffed) when I'm working on my rotation.

Edit: Don't mean to flood the thread, but I just noticed something peculiar in Simcraft; namely, when World Lag is set to low in the options tab, MS has the highest % of DPS, at 15.1% and 69.8 executions (5.27s intervals). Under this setting Slam accounts for only 10.9% of total DPS with 52.6 executions (6.05s intervals).
    However, once I set World Lag to medium (because this more accurately reflects my raid environment) Slam becomes 13.1% of total DPS with 61.9 executions (5.24s intervals) while MS drops to 12.8% of total DPS with 57.9 executions (6.31s intervals).

What I'm most confused with here is why Slam suddenly becomes executed more often than MS, seemingly being prioritized over it as the reversal of interval length suggests? Is Slam preferred in medium-high latency situations?
    I'll apologize in advance If I'm reading this completely wrong, or if the answer is obvious to most. I myself am new to simcraft, and theorycrafting in general, so please bear with me.
    Last edited by OhTeeSee; 2012-02-13 at 06:19 PM. Reason: New Development

15+ Year Old Account
    Argh, everything I had written decided to just disappear.

(Looking at ultraxion)
    Anyway, a decent part of the difference is down to RNG.
    42% crit on MS vs your 22%. (Your crit% was shit on some other abilities too)
    His gurth did twice as much damage as yours.

He used Inner Rage more.
    He used Berserker Rage more.
    (Both of you can improve on usage here, though you more than him)

He stance danced, you didn't.
    He started using Execute significantly before you did.

That's it for the things that are direct comparisons between the two of you, going to put some general stuff here.

Neither of you seem to be pre-potting which, imo, is required for any fight that isn't pure farm.
    If you can time Blood Fury to Recklessness when possible, instead of DC, without losing uses through the fight then
    that is preferable. On Ultraxion that would mean that you use Blood Fury with the first recklessness, the second DC
    and then the second recklessness.

While your usage of globals is good you're no doubt using the wrong abilities at times. You missed quite a lot of OPs
    and you could have used MS quite a lot more than you did. On the other hand you seem to use Slam way too much.
    This is also something that goes for both of you. I also feel that HS use could be a bit better for him and a lot better
    for you.

Neither of you are using Heroic Leap as a dps cooldown. Use it between globals (since it's off the GCD) while CS is
    on the boss. This is an increase of 300-400 dps or so.

I was writing a lot of memory so I hope I didn't miss anything now :|

To use SimC to determine expected dummy dps just go to the Buffs and Debuffs tabs under Options and disable everything
    you won't have (stuff like 30% bleed debuff and 4% phys damage gets applied anyway since you provide it by just hitting
    the dummy)

Hey All ive been working on Heroic Ultraxion and feel like my numbers should be way more then they are. Ive simcrafted and its says i should be doing like 39k and I'm no where near that so some help would be great.my world of logs worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q71zga48k0bycqpf/details/6
    Armory us.battle.net/wow/en/character/auchindoun/Calanni/simple i have been playing a long time but maybe im missing somethings that i can improve on so thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any chance you could go into LFR and log an Ultraxion there?
    Don't use Heroic Will, just turret into him.

On first glance it looks like you're not using abilities enough, Bloodthirst in particular looks to be used so very little.

Try to get me that lfr ultra log and I'll give you information I am more certain about.
    Last edited by Siri; 2012-02-23 at 07:02 PM.

ill try i just did one but it was the other day i been trying to use BT more often and it seems to be a little better. Sometimes i think i hit it but hitting another ability so i trying to make it more of a priority before other abilities that's probably when i was going wrong a little bit ill see if i can log a ultra kill. but thanks for the help otherwise lets see if we can't help get it a little more where it's suppose to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, I've recently started playing my arms warrior in a casual weekend guild for fun and stuff and was wondering if there's anything I can do to increase my DPS, being as competitive as I am. I'm always looking for ways to improve myself. That being said I do know that I have semi leveled/not good proffs on my character and I'll be dropping them when I have some time to actually play the game. Any feedback would be great! also I know my offspec has prot glyphs :P I just switched it to a more AoE based spec for Yor'sahj heroic progression next week.

anyways heres my armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yqtxo/advanced

And our logs for this week: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-26x8lm0caeggw0e0/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It would appear the world is retardeding at a pace much more rapid than previously anticipated.

HELP! Getting extremely frustrated!

Hi all. My guild wants me to go arms. So I did about 3 weeks ago. I read the guide in the stickies but I'm having a problem pulling the numbers I should be pulling with my gear. In Madness in LFR my GM said I should pulling somewhere in the 65k range. But I'm only pulling 50-53k. I know something is very wrong here. I notice sometimes I'll have to press my MS macro like 5 or 6 times before it actually goes to zerker stance and hits. Same with slam. Same thing happens with overpower going back to battle stance. It really is driving me up the wall.

Here's a link to my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...2/Evs/advanced

Here's a link to my log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ko7u2zmh1vsv7eyt/details/2/?s=11322&e=12015

Unhappy

- Your spec, general gear level, an armory-link and expectations in raids. Don't have people trawl armorys and parses for minor details when they can be given up front.

Arms,31/7/3
    397iLvl
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...amitsoo/simple
    Expectation: min. 35k DPS@ Ultraxion HC

- Your problem in as much detail as is possible. Is it specific to an individual boss? in particular phases or situations? (AoE/execute/openers/movement/etc) or just a general patchwerk style low dps problem? The more detail you can give the more helpful answers we can provide.

My Problem is the following:
    After looting my normal version of Gurth. and switching from ESS to Gurth. I'm having a DPS problem.
    Yesterday I was very surprised at Ultraxion that my DPS was the lowest in our raid,even our Ret. Paladin who doesn't have better gear than me has more DPS than me.Iam totally confused but it always seems that I have lower DPS if i switch to a better weapon/gear.
    I watched several videos about Arms Rotation and I'm pretty sure that everything is correct in my rotation.

- Any resources you have which can detail the problem are useful. World of Logs parses are especially helpful, but in the worst case other types of information like prints of Recount could suffice. To create World of Logs parses, simply type /combatlog into your chat ingame. Your combatlog will then be saved as a .txt in your WoW > Logs folder. Once leave combat or finish raiding for the day you can upload that log to your account on World of Logs.

Combat-Log from yesterday:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f...=10517&e=10801

It would be really great if somebody could tell me where my problem is right now.
    If there are any questions feel free to ask me.

Hi there. My guild successfully downed him for the first time last night and from looking at your armory I'm in very similar gear. On our kill I did about 38k with what looks like all the same buffs. I also use normal Gurth so I stand very very close to the boss just inside healer AoE. If you're interested in seeing the video I am Chilla221 on youtube, can't post links yet.

Positioning makes a HUGE difference. In some of our wipes I would stand about middle of the platform and would get 0 procs to 1-3% damage from procs, but when I moved up to the position for the kill I had 12% damage from proc. Also, make sure you keep berserker rage on cooldown for most of the fight as it provides a lot more rage generation. I dropped my normal spec that includes Blood and Thunder for 3/3 Incite which seemed to help quite a bit. Hope this helps!

Deleted
    iLvl: 392
    Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Rayhn/simple
    Expectation: I feel I can get a bit more considering the gear I have and I'm not happy with the consistency of my DPS, it varies too much and I want to sort that out.

This is a log from our raid trying Ultraxion 25 hc, have a look through all the attempts if you can because my DPS is up and down a lot.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=1731&e=1834

15+ Year Old Account
    Hello everyone!
    Been a bit swamped recently so I haven't had time for the long replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelbak-Illidan View Post
    Hey guys, I've recently started playing my arms warrior in a casual weekend guild for fun and stuff and was wondering if there's anything I can do to increase my DPS, being as competitive as I am. I'm always looking for ways to improve myself. That being said I do know that I have semi leveled/not good proffs on my character and I'll be dropping them when I have some time to actually play the game. Any feedback would be great! also I know my offspec has prot glyphs :P I just switched it to a more AoE based spec for Yor'sahj heroic progression next week.

anyways heres my armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yqtxo/advanced

And our logs for this week: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-26x8lm0caeggw0e0/
    Armory looks good, no glaring flaws to fix.

For ability usage I'm looking at the Zon'ozz normal kill.
    Mortal strike looks slightly low (1 MS every 5.3s). In my book if the average time between MSs is higher than 5 seconds on a nuke fight then it is not good enough. Overpower looks good, Slam looks low. No Heroic Leap usage for dps, if you're as competitive as you say then this is definitely worth doing! Fill time between GCDs with Heroic Leap, use it when CS is on the target. CS usage was good on Zon'ozz.

Depending on how long this fight usually takes for you you could change your cooldown usage a bit. If you know for sure that you'll only get 2 Deadly Calms then save the second one for the Execute phase. You could also consider delaying the first one until the first Black Blood phase if this is the case. (Though this is greatly reliant on you actually knowing how long the fight will take, don't risk losing out on a DC use!)

Also taking a quick glance at Ultraxion. You overwrote both of your 4t13 procs with manual CSs. Judging by my own experiences I think you should be able to use Inner Rage more than you did in this fight. That also goes for Berserker Rage. You should be able to use the first Inner Rage just as your first Deadly Calm ends. Also, it is preferable to use Deadly Calm right before Reck, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Namitsoo View Post
    Arms,31/7/3
    397iLvl
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...itsoo/advanced
    Expectation: min. 35k DPS@ Ultraxion HC
    Personally I feel that 35k is a low expectation, you should be able to do quite a bit more most of the time. (easily above 40k)
    If you're having trouble with Gurthalak on Ultraxion then take a look at this:

It's a pretty picture featuring me and my warrior's crappy raid... dead on the ground
    For Gurthalak to work, you want to stand between the two red lines.

Now, in terms of how you play.
    MS and OP usage is good. Slam, however, is used too little but the most important thing here is that you didn't use Heroic Strike even once. Zero times. I'm hoping this is the result of a broken macro or something because 0 uses of HS is just unacceptable :P
    You could also add Heroic Leap into your repertoire for a few extra hundred dps.
    You're overwriting a great deal of your 4t13 procs with manual CSs.

Cooldowns:
    You only used your Orc racial once, should be three times.
    You didn't use Deadly Calm at all, should also be three times.
    You didn't use any dps potions.
    You used Recklessness early, in a fight where you can only use it once, use it during the Execute phase.
    You didn't use Inner Rage at all but since you didn't use Heroic Strike this isn't really a big deal.

Fix your Heroic Strike usage and get start on the proper use of cooldowns and you'll see a huge improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayhn View Post
    iLvl: 392
    Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Rayhn/simple
    Expectation: I feel I can get a bit more considering the gear I have and I'm not happy with the consistency of my DPS, it varies too much and I want to sort that out.

This is a log from our raid trying Ultraxion 25 hc, have a look through all the attempts if you can because my DPS is up and down a lot.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=1731&e=1834
    Ok, first off, Arms is a very RNG dependent spec, especially when 4t13 and Gurth gets involved. Your dps won't be very consistent no matter what you do. People often don't think about and/or notice this because the RNG doesn't affect what buttons you press all that much, unlike something like a Fire Mage where not getting Hot Streak procs is incredibly frustrating to the player.

That said I had a look at a bunch of the tries and this is my impression of ability usage.
    MS use looks a bit low, spam the button more. OP looks good. Slam looks low. HS use should be higher on heroic ultraxion but it's not really fair to judge since damage taken ramps up and I'm not looking at kills here. You're not using Heroic Leap for dps. You sometimes overwrite your 4t13 proc with a manual CS.

For cooldown usage I'm going to look at the normal mode kill, attempts are really no good to use for this kind of thing. (Honestly, kills are always preferred for analyzing anything)

Berserker Rage can easily be used more than it is now.
    Short fight means you save Reck until the Execute phase, your first heroic kill will likely allow for two uses though!
    You're seemingly not using any dps potions on the kill, this may just be because pre-pots don't show unless you use a second potion in the fight.
    For the normal mode kill I would save the second DC for the Execute phase. Basically start the Execute phase with potion+dc then use Recklessness as soon as DC wears off. For your Heroic attempts the same thing applies but to the third DC instead of the second.