Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heythere View Post
    Do u even know what a minority is?*
    a : a part of a population differing from others in some characteristics and often subjected to differential treatment

yup, hence the reason i put in quotation marks, so you dont take it in the very literal sense....../facepalm again

ie these people are acting like we were here first, and chanting USA means its exclusive to white people, which it isnt, as our country for the most part, has always been one big melting pot.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-03-07 at 09:26 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is another example of the school system bowing down to other ethnic/religious belief so they can please them in every aspect so if some foreigner chant " death to america or kill american soldier " because they hate american that wouldn't be declare racist or even promoting terrorism ?

I draw an fine lines explicitly when obama bowing down to afghanistan and said "sorry" blame the troop for the mishaps.............bush will never do that !

DOUBLE STANDARD !
    Last edited by WNYIRISHGUY; 2012-03-07 at 09:26 PM.

Implying the other team is not American because they're all of Hispanic origin is pretty racist, yes. I've lived in San Antonio, and I know these two districts, and Alamo Heights is full of stuck up rich white kids who treat Hispanics like a lower class citizenry.

Ask yourself a few questions:
    1) If the other team was all white, from another mostly-white district, would the fans have started cheering USA! USA! USA! I've never been to a high school basketball game where USA! was a chant that people thought to chant.
    2) What is the purpose of chanting USA! when both teams are not only from the USA, but from the same city?
    3) Could that purpose have anything possibly related to the fact that these two schools from distinctly racially different districts?
    4) Even if you would excuse this as merely nationalism or at worst jingoism, why is the white team from the Heights considered an exemplar of nationalist pride? Would the same chant for the other team mean the same thing?

People like to say adrenaline and chanting are mindless things, but most of our mindless behavior is conditioned on our conscious behavior. I would never join in a chant of USA! after beating an all-Hispanic team from an opposing district. An angry drunk usually has anger issues when he's sober too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Sup with torture? Now shhh and stay on topic.
    sup with needing signs like this *

I was on topic until I was insulted*

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    This is another example of the school system bowing down to other ethnic/religious belief so they can please them in every aspect so if they chant " death to america or kill american soldier " that wouldn't be declare racist or even promoting terrorism ?

DOUBLE STANDARD !
    Wow Really?!

The San Antonio Independent School District allowed students to say that without consequence? Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    According to the logic in this article your racist for calling all Texans racist.
    Besides the fact that I never called every Texan a racist (in multiple places in my post that notion is refuted), the logic in the article is actually quite logical as they looked at a sweeping assumption that was made on a group of young athletes based on their skin color. That's pretty much textbook racism.

Since you're sure to return with poopsicles dangling from your chin with the regurgitated fail-think of the 10 pages of posts before you, I'll elaborate. The assumption: the losing team isn't American (when clearly they're from a school district in the states). Reason for assumption: color of skin, names on jerseys, etc. Action: Chant USA as a jeer to indicate that said group of people were not thought of as Americans, and that the game at hand was not between two high school teams, but between two nations. USA obviously won, let's celebrate.

The logic in the article is sound, because it involves people who were there, who understand the context of the chanting, and who understand the context of social relations in this state.

EDIT: I'm floored by how many people didn't stop 2 seconds to think about the context of this story before responding. You've either never witnessed something like this happen before or simply can't fathom it. It looks to me like a case of "I READ THE HEADLINE AND NOW I'M OFFENDED!!!" If you put yourself in the situation as to why this occurred, there's really no excuse.
    Last edited by gneugen; 2012-03-07 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    a : a part of a population differing from others in some characteristics and often subjected to differential treatment

yup, hence the reason i put in quotation marks, so you dont take it in the very literal sense....../facepalm again
    Minority - A group differing, especially in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population

I think you left out a key part of the definition...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloons View Post
    It's certainly an interesting choice of chant for a game between schools.

(1) Chanting does not require pre-planning.
    (2) This is a perfectly reasonable conclusion to come to. See below.
    (3) The chant was nationalistic, and as such was an odd choice for an inter-school game; the chant was orchestrated by the (supporters of the) victors, who are predominantly caucasian; and the losers were of racial minorities in a state where immigration is a delicate issue.

That is exactly what is implied.
    Again, you are seeing things that aren't there. What you are doing is taking a step back and looking at this situation from an observers position. What you are failing to do, however, is look through the eyes of the students. Perhaps you have never been to a game before, but it is an exhilarating experience, especially during the last few minutes. When the team had won, was presented with their trophy, some individual probably started chanting USA unconsciously and the crowd mindlessly embraced it. You assume it had malicious intent, but there is no real way of knowing that from the context given, they could have just as well been mindlessly chanting. The people calling this racist are not looking at what was intended, but how they insinuated it. Give the kids a break, they were just caught up in the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    sup with needing signs like this
    I was on topic until I was insulted*
    Unsure how stating a fact about ones country can be insulting but whatever make you tick dear Sir.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Wow Really?!

The San Antonio Independent School District allowed students to say that without consequence? Do you have a link?
    He's posted a lot lately, and I can't remember ever seeing one that isn't obviously a troll post. He's either a good troll or really doesn't know what he's talking about

Quote Originally Posted by WNYIRISHGUY View Post
    This is another example of the school system bowing down to other ethnic/religious belief so they can please them in every aspect so if they chant " death to america or kill american soldier " that wouldn't be declare racist or even promoting terrorism ?

DOUBLE STANDARD !
    Also Mr. WNY (I'm a Buffalonian myself), please, just stop. You're giving us upstate-NYers a bad name. Just because Buffalo is still racially segregated so badly that I doubt most white Buffalonians have ever been to the west or east sides doesn't mean we're unable to think broadly. Obviously no one would tolerate high schoolers chanting "death to America" or American soldiers, and for you to imply that that would happen and be tolerated is idiotic and short-sighted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just lost a little more faith in Humanity. I hate how it's now evil to offend someone. Eventually there will be nothing we can do or say that isn't offensive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Wow Really?!

No he doesn't, he's just frothing at the mouth, incoherent with his hatred and bile.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Minority - A group differing, especially in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population

I think you left out a key part of the definition...
    hence the reason for the quotation marks, and the clearing it up post. if you all want to take it to the very literal sense, when theres obviously quotation marks around them, then i give up. if i had meant the very literal sense, i would of just typed minorities not "minorities" ffs this community kills me sometimes, lol

when your talking to someone and they do the quotation mark symbol with their hands, you know its not the literal sense, ffs people.

I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but most of the people that play or use the racist card, are in fact the racists.

Giving differencial treatment for someone because of their skin color etc is ridiculous. Had it been a bunch of black folks saying '' USA , USA '' no problem would have come out of this. In fact, some people would even support it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Again, you are seeing things that aren't there. What you are doing is taking a step back and looking at this situation from an observers position. What you are failing to do, however, is look through the eyes of the students. Perhaps you have never been to a game before, but it is an exhilarating experience, especially during the last few minutes. When the team had won, was presented with their trophy, some individual probably started chanting USA unconsciously and the crowd mindlessly embraced it. You assume it had malicious intent, but there is no real way of knowing that from the context given, they could have just as well been mindlessly chanting. The people calling this racist are not looking at what was intended, but how they insinuated it. Give the kids a break, they were just caught up in the moment.

Well by that logic wouldn't the cheering teams coach & principal be in a good position to determine if it was racist or not...? (Compared to us)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Mindless chanting is an expression of the conscious belief. Mindlessness is an excuse, so is the supposed childishness of the audience, since last I checked, most people over the age of 14 are capable of rational thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Racism also includes ethnicism and similar.

You want it clearer?
    No it doesn't. Nationality has nothing to do with your race.

Haha...here in Sweden most schools don't allow the national anthem on, say, final day of semester because apparently it's racist. It's insane, but welcome to my world =P

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    I went and and corrected my wording because I unlike you didn't mean to insult anyone.

oh and by the way U.S.A. is much better then Sweden we don't make our hard working people pay for the lazy to survive
    And that's why your country is going right down the drain :-).. Dont get me started on European countries / Sweden, we all know how they end.

I have to ask you, are you really from USA? Your grammar sucks fucking balls. Then instead of than, can't use commas properly.. List goes on.

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-03-07 at 09:39 PM.