Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Profish13 View Post
    The best AVs are the low level ones, the majority of the lowbie ones turn into reinforcement wars.
    This ^ I love it on my 63 hunter, (disengaging the towers is even more fun then shadowstepping them), kind of like it on my 85s cause me usually win. I also strongly agree with Endemonadia because you just run in, kill a boss, kill some mobs, wait 2 hours, kill a boss. you rarely see any pvp there..

Either that or getting farmed to death. Was on my DK last night and Horde was literally mopped back to their base by Alliance. I just felt like giving up PvP as a whole from that moment. But yeah, AV is too much of a zergfest for both faction, so it needs to change it where it's not always so simple to rush mini-boss>towers>boss.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

The power of ivus compels you!
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

It has been like this for a very very long time, use to laugh in BC and Wrath when the games basically went like this and still do today:

1. Game starts.
    2. Horde run by Alliance and throw rude emotes at each other.
    3. Both sides race to final boss, if end of xpac both sides ignore towers and just power through tank / heal till complete.

lawl to achievement of completing in under 6 minutes.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

How did this "come and go" as you like thing work in AV classic? Before my time so I can't figure it out.

I wouldn't mind if Blizz put back in "AV Classic" just like however it was in the old days. Keep if off the random bg list and just let people who are interested sign up. Be warned, however, that you might have long (like hours) queue times if people find the whole thing tedious and boring and refuse to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    They just need to either rework or throw away(may be a bit much) AV. I dont consider it PvP, and if it ever comes up when I'm running randoms I take the deserter debuff.

---------- Post added 2012-03-23 at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    But still i prefer it over SotA....
    Hard to call that one for me, I usually get a deserter buff there too XD

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are 5 years 9 months late with the complaints.

We've had the same AV since 1.11.

That's right. 1.11. Vanilla.

Talk about slowpoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel the same way op, Vanilla an TBC AV's were amazing it was quite common to get 100+ hks.
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Valac View Post
    I feel the same way op, Vanilla an TBC AV's were amazing it was quite common to get 100+ hks.
    The glory days of AV were when you could get, not 100, but easily 1000 HKs. I had several weekends where I would join a game at noon, and still be in the same game at 8 PM. THAT'S the AV people want back, or at least TBC when they lasted an hour or two.
    Alt-aholics Anonymous member since 2005.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...totemic/simple
    85 Restoration Shaman, Elemental off-spec.

1) Remove AV from the Random BG queue. 2) Remove the the diminishing honor for AV only. People then wont care about how long the AVs are. 3) Give bonus honor for completing quest turnins in AV.
    4) Award 15 Conquest Points for killing each main NPC (guards dont count).

Once people hit their honor cap for the week, they'll leave and new people can get in. Who cares if the AV goes 15 hours if people can get their cap and leave? You'd still have your choice to run the 25 minute WSGs or whatever from other queues if you want the shorter battles. For those that want the epic feeling back, they can run AV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopsa View Post
    The glory days of AV were when you could get, not 100, but easily 1000 HKs. I had several weekends where I would join a game at noon, and still be in the same game at 8 PM. THAT'S the AV people want back, or at least TBC when they lasted an hour or two.
    Reinforcements were introduced less than halfway into TBC.

Really, people long for a game that never existed.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zera View Post
    Just make av more like how it was in vanilla. I mean who wouldn't want a bg going on for a week
    And what an amazing week that was. <3 old AV (and no it's not nostalgia running my life, I clearly remember having a blast and playing AV as often as I could.)

Deleted
    AV is like running a race, you try and finish faster than the other side, it's competitive, but doesn't involve actual fighting. This is not good, but it sure beats the original 18 hour AVs that only ended when one side had to go to bed earlier than the other.

I miss 3 day long av.

That is what AV SHOULD be, you know? Now it is who can PvE the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Most AV;s I have been in result in a horde victory.

Why?

Because I get about 10 people to defend our towers and GY leading to some pvp between alliance and horde.

Also the fact I do 40 man premade avs..............
    Link your Armory. I'm willing to bet you don't have over 60% wins in AV. People seem to think a contest between 2 groups of thinking human beings can be put on farm status like Dragonslaying, and that's simply not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    Reinforcements were introduced less than halfway into TBC.

Really, people long for a game that never existed.
    The AVs they remember existed, but the reasons aren't as clear cut as they'd like to think.

As far as I can tell, games are 'zergable' because of the way our characters scale with gear in relation to the NPCs. Changing this wouldn't bring back the massive, more NPC involved battles that many people remember (or at least pretend to), but I think it make the games much longer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    The AVs they remember existed, but the reasons aren't as clear cut as they'd like to think.

As far as I can tell, games are 'zergable' because of the way our characters scale with gear in relation to the NPCs. Changing this wouldn't bring back the massive, more NPC involved battles that many people remember (or at least pretend to), but I think it make the games much longer.
    It's a combination of non-existent NPC scaling, the introduction of reinforcements, and the simplicity of zerging.

Even a current "reinforcement war" still only takes like 15-20 minutes as opposed to a 5 minute zerg, but the gathering of items off dead enemy players, bringing them back to your base and handing them in, and doing this like a hundred times per upgrade level takes hours to max out the NPCs still. Even if you do, the benefit of the NPC's don't matter because they are nothing like they were in Vanilla.

In Vanilla the maxed out guard patrols would practically insta-gib me (very geared fury warrior), the big bosses aggro'd from practically line of sight - as soon as they were drawn on your screen they were coming at you (dumb) and they would chain from person to person so that you could end up with them inside your starting cave raping your whole team if people kept trying to flee from it.

I have nostalgic memories of AV games that lasted many hours, I remember grinding pvp ranks and one time going to bed hours into a long AV - getting up the next morning (only slept like 5-6 hours though) re-queueing - and being put in the same damned AV that was still going. It sounds epic now, but I know I didn't feel that way back then - at least not all the time (or even most of the time). I certainly don't want to have full 403 pvp gear and get one shot by arrows from some dumb NPC road patrol ever again.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    And what an amazing week that was. <3 old AV (and no it's not nostalgia running my life, I clearly remember having a blast and playing AV as often as I could.)
    I'm not saying it wasn't fun for you then. I'm saying it's seven years later and a lot of things concerning stuff like player skill and knowledge of the game has changed.

The games I found fun at 7 didn't translate to well to 14 and 14 didn't translate too well to 21.

Novelty is a pretty big factor.

Deleted
    To add to this i heard a very sensible request which was to add in HEROIC BGS.

The Heroic version of AV would use the original AV template and rework the fight. Id let the devs work out the exact details of the Heroic AV but needless to say it would be tailored for those people who are not grinding honour, just those who want to play the most epic BG ever created. Obviously hks would also be extremely farmable in this BG.

The bottom line is that AV is desperately broken right now and needs fixing, if Blizzard ignore this for MoP then its fair to say that Blizzard dont give a s*** about PvP in Wow anymore. In which case we can just leave it to rot...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    You guys are 5 years 9 months late with the complaints.

We've had the same AV since 1.11.

That's right. 1.11. Vanilla.

Talk about slowpoke.
    Same AV since 1.11? When AV wasn't even added until 1.5 and changes in 1.11 weren't even remotely close to the biggest? And Reinforcements weren't added until 2.3 in late BC?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_2.3.0

"The Horde and Alliance now have a limited number of reinforcements available in the battle for Alterac Valley. The number of reinforcements available is reduced upon player death, loss of towers, and death of Captain Galvangar or Balinda Stonehearth. In addition, all available reinforcements are lost upon the death of General Drek'Thar or Vanndar Stormpike. If a team is reduced to zero reinforcements, the opposing team wins the battle."

Talk about being off...
    Last edited by Propainn; 2012-03-26 at 12:51 PM.