Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why is vengence wrong?

Why is vengence wrong? Why does the western society despises it?

10+ Year Old Account
    "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind" comes to mind. Personally, I think it's fine. Like if I were Batman, I'd totally kill the guy who killed my parents.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Vengeance is a wonderful thing. Don't let anyone lie to you. We may act like we hate it, but when Harrison Ford is hunting down the man who hurt his family, and puts a bullet in everyone who even looks at him funny, who are we cheering for?

Two wrongs do not make one right
    Don't Fwoosh me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when you follow through on a feeling of vengeance you degrade yourself as a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by lmenvs View Post
    "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind" comes to mind. Personally, I think it's fine. Like if I were Batman, I'd totally kill the guy who killed my parents.
    that is revenge. Vengence would be killing someone who got away from his just deserve because of say technicality. Revenge would be killing someone who accidently killed your father. Just to get even.

Because there should be an a in it.

Typing perfectly is a godlike deed
    and commenting on fails will increase the speed
    of which you are going to receive
    a ban if you do not concede.
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-04-01 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    that is revenge. Vengence would be killing someone who got away from his just deserve because of say technicality. Revenge would be killing someone who accidently killed your father. Just to get even.
    Revenge is a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance, be it real or perceived. It is also called payback, retribution, retaliation or vengeance.
    Don't Fwoosh me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    oh noes it's totally awesome: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=93098

<3

Quote Originally Posted by lmenvs View Post
    "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind"
    Actually, in most cases this would lead both parts with one functional eye remaining.
    Don't Fwoosh me.

Deleted
    I don't think anyone can watch Law Abiding Citizen without any feeling of vengeance or rage. It's in our nature to want revenge, even if it's totally illogical.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a very situational thing, but vengeful actions tend to backfire spectacularly. When rage thriumphs over reason, people make mistakes that often complicate or worsen a given situation.

That said, it's something we as human beings will justify when we desire it, and villify when it consumes others.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's cyclical and never-ending.

The ancient Greeks figured it out and they were smart about that sort of thing.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sendetto View Post
    I don't think anyone can watch Law Abiding Citizen without any feeling of vengeance or rage. It's in our nature to want revenge, even if it's totally illogical.
    As scary as it sounds you have no idea how pumped up I was when he tortured that guy.

I don't think this is a topic that can be solved with quotes from famous people..

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    As scary as it sounds you have no idea how pumped up I was when he tortured that guy.
    I agree! It was 100% win for him, and he deserved it... would be tough to have a life where something like that happened.. I mean... the sheer rage he must of felt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Because it's cyclical and never-ending.
    "Men ought either to be indulged or utterly destroyed, for if you merely offend them they take vengeance, but if you injure them greatly they are unable to retaliate, so that the injury done to a man ought to be such that vengeance cannot be feared."

Basically, if you're going to take revenge, be sure to kill the guy so he can't take revenge back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    I don't think this is a topic that can be solved with quotes from famous people..
    You're quite correct, but that's part of the fun. :P
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

its not that vengeance is wrong its that the act you commit maybe wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    I was cheering, because, honestly, that scene could have continued for all eternity, that's how much I care for him...