Thread: Solo top

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    especially when people (mostly noobs I'm sorry but it's true) start flaming you cuz you deviate from the bible builds on those sites. yes sometimes I want to build an early LW or maybe a Hexdrinker on an ad carry. Maybe i want to build a warmogs on my ap carry fizz.. just examples ofc.

Yeah, I checked out LoLPro. It looks nice, and some of the guides are solid, but the site feels like it's missing a TON of things, and some of the guides are just weird. I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks pure magic resist runes on Galio (MR reds, MR/lvl yellows, MR blues and MR quints) is a bit weird or unnecessary?

Personally, I prefer Mobafire. The layout is nice, and it's not that hard to find solid guides as people make it out to be. Just have a look at the higher rated ones, and you'll find something good soon enough. Not to mention it's a suggestion, not a bible.

I'll have a look at Solomid, but quite frankly, it seems like a pain to find what you want there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Yeah, I checked out LoLPro. It looks nice, and some of the guides are solid, but the site feels like it's missing a TON of things, and some of the guides are just weird. I dunno if I'm the only one who thinks pure magic resist runes on Galio (MR reds, MR/lvl yellows, MR blues and MR quints) is a bit weird or unnecessary?

Personally, I prefer Mobafire. The layout is nice, and it's not that hard to find solid guides as people make it out to be. Just have a look at the higher rated ones, and you'll find something good soon enough. Not to mention it's a suggestion, not a bible.

I'll have a look at Solomid, but quite frankly, it seems like a pain to find what you want there.
    You have to remember that guides on lolpro are done by pros exclusively. In the pro-scene Galio is picked as a counter to Cassio above all else. Against cassio pure MR really helps to establish lane dominance. One of the reasons i would recommend solomid.net over them, their guides don't always apply.
    Signature by Tacy :]

15+ Year Old Account
    The key to playing solo top is counter-picking when possible.

If you haven't gotten to that level yet...I would recommend the following champs (in order of effectiveness)

1. Yorick - game changing/breaking ultimate, crazy sustain and early game harass, is only countered by a few champs (ie: Nasus, Garen)

2. Irelia - absolutely boss, banned a lot.

3. Shyvanna - max fire shield first, push lane right to tower, go steal the enemies jungle (blue/wolves if on top, golems/red if bottom). Watch Moscow 5 when they have Shyvanna top, its scary.

4. Riven - fantastic mobility, damage scales well into late game, only limited by her cooldowns.

5. Rumble / Vlad - AP top w/o mana...you can harass the melee bruisers like crazy from range. In addition, with an AD jungler your damage sources are basically a 50/50 mix of AP and AD. This prevents the opposing team from stacking armor or magic resist.

Those are, in my humblest of opinion, the best all around picks for top. However, there are a lot of skilled people out there doing things like Ryze, Galio, Teemo, Singed, Garen, Volibear, Swain, Fiora, etc...the best pick is ALWAYS the counter-pick.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Just a few tips

Swain is a HARD counter to kennen top

Trundle counter Yorick due to trundles passive

Vlademir counters Riven

Olaf counters melee's in general since to always wins the trades Axe > Reckless swing > Axe

A well played Udyr can counter Warwick top.

Malphite with armor and some ad damage can easily counter Lee sin

Warwick can counter Mordekaiser when he gets some items and levels

Udyr if played right can counter Mordekaiser.

Wukong stands a fairly chance against Mordekaiser.

Shen counters Riven pretty good, when you eventually get Wits end, you will win all duels.

Shen has a fairly good chance against most champions top to be honest, and his ultimate can really help early game.
    Last edited by mmoc735fc07483; 2012-04-18 at 03:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, Shen. Probably the best top choice almost every time.

Alas, he is always banned. That's why he didn't make my list.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

I really enjoy playing Wukong as solo top. But i'm not that experienced yet, can anyone tell me which heroes will be a hard counter to Wukong?

Warwick, Lee Sin or Nidalee would all work well against Kong. I find Nidalee very tough to deal with when I play Kong. 'Dem spears...

Edit: Renekton too. I have yet to figure out a way to out farm or push Renekton around in top. Very tough champ to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpoker View Post
    I really enjoy playing Wukong as solo top. But i'm not that experienced yet, can anyone tell me which heroes will be a hard counter to Wukong?
    I have a lot of success against Wukongs with Lee Sin (using abilities properly grants vision of Wukong so clone is less useful) and Riven (all about combo setup). Nidalee can harass Wukong as well with spears, well placed traps and W,E,Q combos once she hits 6.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rumble, Yorick, Vlad, Swain, and Singed pretty much destroy Renekton.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could see Ryze being a major pain for Renekton as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I could see Ryze being a major pain for Renekton as well.
    Somewhat. Though not sure if Ryze would be able to keep up w/Renekton's sustain. While he can Bind when Renekton E's, I think Renekton still has a good chance of winning.

@ Toxi
    Renekton does fine against Yorick. Has the gap closer needed to get close past ghoul spam, the damage to push him out of lane, and the sustain to win trades.

Jax is supposed to be a good solo top, but imo he gets bullied way too easily pre 6. Anyone else got any opinions on Jax as a solo top?

Jax is good, but he does get bullied easily pre-6. He can't win exchanges, but a good stun-leap-empower is enough burst to make people back off for a moment. Wriggle and revolver and you never die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Somewhat. Though not sure if Ryze would be able to keep up w/Renekton's sustain. While he can Bind when Renekton E's, I think Renekton still has a good chance of winning.

@ Toxi
    Renekton does fine against Yorick. Has the gap closer needed to get close past ghoul spam, the damage to push him out of lane, and the sustain to win trades.
    Early Glacial Shroud really hampers Renekton's burst though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Early Glacial Shroud really hampers Renekton's burst though.
    Unless you're getting a Glacial Shroud at level 3, then Renekton will still bully you until you get it, and if you give him a couple of kills and free farm from 3 -> Glacial Shroud then it probably won't save you still (or at least you won't be able to kill him, it'll just take him longer to kill you).

What happened to Jarvan solo top?

Is Renekton some sort of secret solo top god or something I haven't heard of? I didn't think he was *THAT* good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qauren View Post
    Unless you're getting a Glacial Shroud at level 3, then Renekton will still bully you until you get it, and if you give him a couple of kills and free farm from 3 -> Glacial Shroud then it probably won't save you still (or at least you won't be able to kill him, it'll just take him longer to kill you).
    I'll put my Yorick up against most anyone's Renektons. I've never had much trouble, but don't know if I've played against any great InteriorCrocodileAlligators.

Like Duilliath said, early GS helps. You just have to come out harassing like theres no tomorrow. If you can finish your tear and get boots on the first trip back, you're fine.