Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

So i lost my achievements.

Well, i got D3 beta some time ago now and i enjoyed it so much i decided to get all the achievements and so i did, but now its all lost, all the achievements and all my characters. I had all the characters on max lvl (highest u can get in beta that is) but they're all gone. Its not that its a big deal or anything since its just the beta, but it is pretty anoying since i put so much time into it and now i cant even show my friends :/

I just wanted to ask if its a known issue or if its something ive missed or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Quote Originally Posted by Mexa View Post
    Well, i got D3 beta some time ago now and i enjoyed it so much i decided to get all the achievements and so i did, but now its all lost, all the achievements and all my characters. I had all the characters on max lvl (highest u can get in beta that is) but they're all gone. Its not that its a big deal or anything since its just the beta, but it is pretty anoying since i put so much time into it and now i cant even show my friends :/

I just wanted to ask if its a known issue or if its something ive missed or something.

And this is why inexperienced people shouldn't play betas.

You lose EVERYTHING. They are there for TESTING PURPOSES. You shouldn't become attached to characters or achievemnts in a beta, its amatuer. I don't understand why people want to bitch about this sort of thing. I'm fairly certain it even clarifies this sort of stuff in the agreements and shit.

The remove chars/achievements pretty much with every new update in the beta.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Err It's beta I hope you know that right? They wipe everything out most of the time including achievements so you pretty much just wasted your time doing all of those and know It's not a known issue since every patch they wipe most of the stuff out

Beta gets wiped as and when Blizz needs to or wants too.

ut it is pretty anoying since i put so much time into it and now i cant even show my friends
    then why go to the effort of making a QQ thread....

/thread

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesnt require effort to make this thread.

And the reason i asked if it was a known issue is that i started getting the achievements again but since it gets removed every so often, it makes no sence, so thank you i guess.

And no, im not an experienced Beta tester, its just now ive got into it and im only in 2 betas (3 if u count MoP) and you guys are obviously very experienced in the business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

people should really learn that beta =/= early access...

beta is for testing purposes

15+ Year Old Account
    They have been doing random character/achievement wipes for awhile now, usually when they push a new patch out.

This isn't a known issue because it's not an issue, it was intentional

As a developer myself, I just wanted to post a quick note for people who may not know what a Beta really is.

Beta testing is the time of a game's life when the game is nearing the end of it's development cycle and nearing ready to release. What stands before the product and the customer are often numerous bugs and in some cases balancing issues. Everyone who participates in a beta are really participating in this phase of the project. Your job as a beta tester is to find bugs and balancing issues and report them. Having a good time obviously is a side benefit, but rarely should you get attached to your character, items, achievements, or what have you. As far as a company is concerned, typically all of everyone's data that participated in the beta is wiped at the end of the phase. Only if they have promised to keep those things post beta should you be concerned about that.

Beta testing does come with some downsides, such as character wipes, achievement wipes, talent resets, etc. These must be done so that further testing can be achieved on those aspects of the game. Often these aspects of the game will have system changes or major database updates that require resets as well. This is the time when developers can make those sorts of changes without fear of real damage to paying customers. While I can't say what the motivation behind these particular wipes is, I can understand them as being necessary. So really, you re-earning those achievements over and over is a good thing for future players, and for yourself.

It seems the most unfortunate thing is that rarely do public beta tests really tell people what they are getting into. It is perceived that it is common knowledge that everyone either does know, or should know what a beta test is, when that obviously isn't the case. I think companies could do a better job explaining this to their public testers.

Quote Originally Posted by Squibbons View Post
    It seems the most unfortunate thing is that rarely do public beta tests really tell people what they are getting into. It is perceived that it is common knowledge that everyone either does know, or should know what a beta test is, when that obviously isn't the case. I think companies could do a better job explaining this to their public testers.
    Yes... because so many damn people just think it's early access (see: 99.99% of people complaining about not getting in to the Mists of Pandaria beta test).

Deleted
    Yeah sorry dude but its beta, you kinda wasted your time they always get cleared at some point be it during the beta or at the end, there's not really anything else to say :S

Deleted
    Come on, give the guy a break. I'm sure he knows that it's just the beta (like he said), he was just asking if it's normal that all his characters and achievements are gone. It's not like he was thinking that he'd be able to have them in the actual game... Not everyone is aware of the character/achievement wipes that happen during the beta.

Funny thing is, they even announce that there will be character wipes... this thread is full of facepalm.

This smells like trolling, but I could be wrong.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

So many mean comments. It's not this guys fault he opted into beta, got in, and didn't fully understand how it works. Blizz picked him at random. If blizz wanted experienced beta testers they would make you take a survey or something aside from just listing your computer specs. Him just playing the game and getting all the achievements is great testing imo. He checked to make sure they were all working properly. So imo that's a great way to test. Sure you need to look for other bugs and such, but him putting in the extra effort to make sure all the achievements he could get were actually working is a great way to help out.

He asked a question because he didn't understand why his character was wiped out. It doesn't make him a bad tester because of it. He obviously cared enough about his beta character and the fact he even got in to put more effort into it than probably the average opt in. So good work!

As to everyone else...a simple explanation that during beta characters do get wiped followed by a link or something where he can view that information would have been enough. Giving him a hard time was just unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    For someone who got an invite into a closed beta, and who evidently took the time to get Beta Maxxed, you don't have the time to look at patch notes? Even when a patch gets deployed, it tells you the notes in the launcher...

I still swear beta tests should include some sort of questionnaire to make sure people without a brain don't get in. Problem is, the people without a brain will likely look for someone with one, to answer the questionnaire for them.

@Squibbons - Unfortunately, beta's have now transformed into "play before everyone else", and everyone jumps on this "chance" just so they can pass time and brag to friends just cause they're in a "beta". Blizzard have been very smart about the D3 beta, letting in quite a limited amount of people, and ramping it up over a long period of time, making sure they get most if not all of the bugs fixed. Apart from the minor tweaks to the order in which you get spells, it's been quite obvious that the game is very polished and mostly bug free. Although we have only been able to test one little portion of Act 1 in 1/4 game modes, here's to hoping that the rest is this polished.

All this "beta" test is for, is stressing the servers, which is a good thing, cause it has ironed out even more bugs that they simply could not have been achieved without making it an open beta.

In any case, when the time comes for me to get my game development career going, I'll be sure to make a beta, act like a beta; not a "oh look, free game to waste time" "beta"!

Let's be honest here. The D3 beta at this point isn't a beta. It's a glorified demo, to get people into the game.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by Squibbons View Post
    As a developer myself, I just wanted to post a quick note for people who may not know what a Beta really is.

Beta testing is the time of a game's life when the game is nearing the end of it's development cycle and nearing ready to release. What stands before the product and the customer are often numerous bugs and in some cases balancing issues. Everyone who participates in a beta are really participating in this phase of the project. Your job as a beta tester is to find bugs and balancing issues and report them. Having a good time obviously is a side benefit, but rarely should you get attached to your character, items, achievements, or what have you. As far as a company is concerned, typically all of everyone's data that participated in the beta is wiped at the end of the phase. Only if they have promised to keep those things post beta should you be concerned about that.

Beta testing does come with some downsides, such as character wipes, achievement wipes, talent resets, etc. These must be done so that further testing can be achieved on those aspects of the game. Often these aspects of the game will have system changes or major database updates that require resets as well. This is the time when developers can make those sorts of changes without fear of real damage to paying customers. While I can't say what the motivation behind these particular wipes is, I can understand them as being necessary. So really, you re-earning those achievements over and over is a good thing for future players, and for yourself.

ummm, are you sure you know what Beta is?

10+ Year Old Account
    With just over 3 weeks left, this is no more time for blizz to test (even if they needed it). We all know by now that they've been balancing the game for months (the developer diary tell us this).

And yes, I agree, this beta is full of glorified marketing. Giving just 3 days for people to play, means it'll get cut off and people will start wanting more. After about a week, people will be getting withdrawal symptoms (assuming GW2 doesn't take their mind off it, lol jokes).

@Joeydivision82 - Beta's are meant to start when a game has all features implemented but still contain multitudes of bugs. Keep in mind, that Blizzard Soon(TM) comes into effect here; they were planning on having D3 released last nov-dec and we know what happened there. Beta's are released with a full intention for people to test to find bugs. Blizz are perfectionists (this is a good thing), which in turn, makes the final product working almost flawlessly.

Take a look at videos from the press-beta events for Guild Wars 2. The game looks like its working, with all of its features implemented, and GW2 has been in development since 2007. That's a whopping 5 years before the general public even gets a chance to play on their own pc's. Some research, and you can find out that ANet initially had plans for beta in 2009, but scrapped it to make the game much more polished. Only in 2010 (3 years) did we finally see some gameplay, and that's only a maximum of 30 minute demo stations at conventions.

In retrospect, D3 started development in 2001.
    Last edited by Azelias; 2012-04-21 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    ummm, are you sure you know what Beta is?
    Yes, he just told you what it was and he's right