Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Basic dungeon etiquette

I'm a casual player and I've been away from WoW for six months. Since I've re-subbed, I've gone straight back into dungeons, but have noticed that players are absolutely speeding through them. There's little to no communication, set-up, marking of enemies....nothing! For me, the healer, that means that I'm invariably left behind looting or just trying to catch up. The way I grew up, the tank would always wait for the healer (at least); now, the tank is the problem, chain pulling mobs and, far from keeping an eye on the healer's mana bar, he doesn't seem to care if the healer is behind him or not!

Obviously, this has caused some deaths and associated nerd rage. While I don't have to loot every corpse or skin every reptile, I'd like my share of the loot, too, and it seems like this is a lose-lose situation for the healer. Keep up, and you end up frazzled and by-pass loot, quests, nodes, etc. Don't keep up, and you get yelled at for the rest of the party for being so slow and "where's my rez? keep in LoS, dude!"

I know things went at a slower pace when I first learned to heal, but many tanks seem to be asking to die. Do I need to adapt to this 10-minute dungeon style, or should I just let this kids get beaten up and learn the hard way?

Thanks!

Kinda what you get at the end of the expansion where some of the dungeons people have been doing for like 18 months now, people know them well and just want to do them fast.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

As you gear up you won't need mana breaks at all, but for now just say you need a MB and if they don't wait, you let them die. Simple as. They either learn or rage quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    As you gear up you won't need mana breaks at all, but for now just say you need a MB and if they don't wait, you let them die. Simple as. They either learn or rage quit.
    Thanks, but I'm not even talking about mana breaks, which are essential (and I rarely need them as mostly I heal as Disc). I'm just talking about the tank and DPS's flying around corners and barging into mobs like they were on a run to the candy store.

Funny thing is that attitude costs MORE time when everyone wipes or three players have to rez.

Quote Originally Posted by Natus View Post
    Thanks, but I'm not even talking about mana breaks, which are essential (and I rarely need them as mostly I heal as Disc). I'm just talking about the tank and DPS's flying around corners and barging into mobs like they were on a run to the candy store.

Funny thing is that attitude costs MORE time when everyone wipes or three players have to rez.
    Then heal them, simple as that, what do you want loot for anyway?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dungeons have more or less become an inconvenience nowadays, you get either a super geared tank or a super geared healer, and all they come for is their 1-2 heroics needed for VP cap for the week.

You can gear a new alt up to LFR level with random BoEs and the crafted epics.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted

What do you need to stop for then? Loot the corpses as they die during combat if you want the loot so badly.

I know things went at a slower pace when I first learned to heal, but many tanks seem to be asking to die. Do I need to adapt to this 10-minute dungeon style, or should I just let this kids get beaten up and learn the hard way?
    This thread will probably be a shitstorm, but to summarize it up front:
    Both options are valid, and both have good arguments. There will be no definite answer what would be "best".
    There are different players, and different player styles. Some simply wants to do his ~15 dungeon runs on his 7th alt to have enough gear for lfr, and some only play every second weekend and simply want to enjoy a nice dungeon run.
    Obviously both views are rational, and obviously they hardly overlap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    What do you need to stop for then? Loot the corpses as they die during combat if you want the loot so badly.
    Screw that attitude. Why should the healer have to forgo loot because the tank's impatient? And no healer stands up near the mobs who're wailing on the tank. Let me guess...you're DPS aren't you?

Ok, well, it's becoming clear that in the eyes of some of you that I just need to keep up with the tank full stop no matter what else is going on. I suppose I'm in the minority here because I haven't run these same dungeons 10-20 times. Good to know.

Ok, well, it's becoming clear that in the eyes of some of you that I just need to keep up with the tank full stop no matter what else is going on. I suppose I'm in the minority here because I haven't run these same dungeons 10-20 times. Good to know.
    NO! Don't give in to that feeling. My main is a holy priest so I know exactly where you're coming from on this matter.

When you zone in, just tell the group up front something like, "Hi, guys! Don't chain pull, please. I've just come back after a break and I'm still gearing up." Most groups, if you're friendly and just ask to hold up a little bit, will be accommodating. If not, let them learn to not pull when you aren't there the hard way.

ALL TANKS should know where their healer is and if they can survive a pull or not. That's in the tank lesson plan Day 1. If they choose to ignore that basic fact, let them learn the hard way. You are entitled to your loot. Don't forgo it because someone is impatient.

Allow me to be the "blue" here and remind you that you're able to communicate with your group through this nifty thing called party chat.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of discussing the WoW Philosophy, but I have found that most people (MOST) will pretty respectful right up front if you say, "Hey, I haven't played in a while, go easy on me," or "I am still gearing up; please give me a break to catch up every now and then."

Rather than waiting for the group to wipe, if you set the expectation up front that you're not up-to-par with the other 397+ healers, then it's their own dumb fault if they push you too hard and wipe.

You're impeding the flow of the group, I would just votekick you if you insist on holding everyone up so you can click every lootable mob.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    It's like the collective psyche of WoW can't get over the sub loss, so when so much as a hotfix is announced, it's due to the sub loss. Tuesday maintenance? Due to the sub loss. Your loot didn't drop? Due to the sub loss. Your girlfriend left you? It's clearly due to the sub loss. Constipated? OBVIOUSLY because of the sub loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks should always keep track of their healer, if they don't then they are just bad tanks. I have seen this from healing perspective(only healer I don't play is hpally) and do run into it sometimes, I found it is worst on disc priest due to lack of a decent heal for movement(I hate using renew, cost is high with a really low amount healed). Fast runs are great, just need the tank that knows what he is doing. If they are going out of range and not waiting, it is THEIR FAULT AND THEY DESERVE TO GET KILLED(unless you are taking more than 20 seconds to loot)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Screw that attitude. Why should the healer have to forgo loot because the tank's impatient? And no healer stands up near the mobs who're wailing on the tank. Let me guess...you're DPS aren't you?
    Why should four players have to wait for you because you want to loot everything you see and you're too shit to loot while keeping the party up? How about that?

If the only reason you want the group to slow down is because you want to loot the mobs, then yes.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2012-04-30 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    This is exactly what I've been doing (in leveling instances mostly). Because there are times when theres heavy damage and low level characters run out of mana quickly and don't have the real means to get mana back. Most of the time I say 'mb' (with annoying tanks I don't even do that and just see if they are paying attention). If the tank doesn't stop and goes pulling stuff and dies, I can just smile and say that they brought it on themselves. I love when those "omgomgomgomgomgomg we are in a soooo much hurry guyz!"-players doing stupid stuff and not paying attention.

Why should four players have to wait for you because you want to loot everything you see and you're too shit to loot while keeping the party up? How about that?

If the only reason you want the group to slow down is because you want to loot the mobs, then yes.
    The funniest thing is that "group should go with the speed of tank" is the absolute truth, but how does it differ from "group should go with the speed of the healer"? What makes tanks so special? Really, I want to know..
    Last edited by Kilpi; 2012-04-30 at 07:38 PM.

At the start, tell the rest of the group that you are still gearing up and you will need some mana breaks. During the run, ask for mana breaks whenever you need.

However, the tank should always keep the healer's mana in mind. When I tank, I ask the healer if he needs a break if I see he is low.

I don't understand not looting corpses. It can be easily done whilst in combat, just set it to auto-loot and click once - not that hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    In dungeons I stand in melee range if I intend on looting the mobs.
    I've been healing for over 5 years in wow, and at this point, heroics are a total joke. Nobody cares, it's all about the points baby.

---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 08:40 PM ----------

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    The funniest thing is that "group should go with the speed of tank" is the absolute truth, but how does it differ from "group should go with the speed of the healer"? What makes tanks so special? Really, I want to know..
    If tank goes slow, I usually ask them if they can pick it up.

you will soon enough have run these dungeons 10-20 times and at this point you will be the same as everyone else...

---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    This is exactly what I've been doing (in leveling instances mostly). Because there are times when theres heavy damage and low level characters run out of mana quickly and don't have the real means to get mana back. Most of the time I say 'mb' (with annoying tanks I don't even do that and just see if they are paying attention). If the tank doesn't stop and goes pulling stuff and dies, I can just smile and say that they brought it on themselves. I love when those "omgomgomgomgomgomg we are in a soooo much hurry guyz!"-players doing stupid stuff and not paying attention.

because usually healers dont need to take a break and the only one whos allowed to pull is the tank.. easy calculation right there!