Page 1 of 2
LastLast

It's time to put Nourish back on our bars.

Let's face it how many people actually use nourish more than a few times in a PvE encounter?

And can you remember the last time you actually casted it in PvP?

Nourish right now sucks, and its a shame because its such a great looking spell. I think part of the reason is that it requires a hot on the target to even do its full potential in healing, and aside from it refreshing lifebloom and harmony it practically heals for nothing.

So propose a change to Nourish so that it might see some use in both PvE and PvP settings.

Change nourish to extend the duration of all your hots on the target by a certain amount. Say nourish extends each hot on the target by 2-3 seconds, which would include Rejuvenation, Regrowth, Lifebloom, and Wild Growth. If you wanted you could put a cap on the amount of times you can extend your hots using this method.

This way we maintain our unique hot based healing in a manner that encourages maintaining our powerful hots and it encourages us to choose how we want to heal a target. Use Nourish while letting your hots tick and heal up or use Healing Touch because the target needs healing fast.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

(My original post on the WoW forums)

15+ Year Old Account
    i tend to use nourish, even if its just to refresh LB - note i don't do heroic raids or anything, where I imagine oud need more throughput

I do like nourish as a spell, but ti either needs to be a faster cast (which goes against blizzards healing model) or heal for more, maybe about 50% more?

eg mine currently heals for about 20k, bump that up to about 30k and it'd be much more worth it for its cast time.

Nourish is a spell I'm using quite often. Every time no one else need's a heal, nourish is being cycled on the main tank (10 man). While I'm certain it's behind rejuvination, WG and Swiftmend, I have no idea why you wouldn't use it at all. Sometimes to be honest I can be a bit regrowth happy - but I think less than nourish happy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Defang View Post
    Nourish right now sucks, and its a shame because its such a great looking spell. I think part of the reason is that it requires a hot on the target to even do its full potential in healing, and aside from it refreshing lifebloom and harmony it practically heals for nothing.
    This. Because this is a mechanic that comes from a time when all our hots lasted longer (rejuv 18 sec, hot from regrowth 21 sec, etc...), nourish cast time was 1.5sec, and mana was basically not a problem so you were blanketting the raid with rejuv, thus almost always having a hot on everybody.
    So much has changed mechanics-wise since then, but we still have the hot requirement on nourish, that should change too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's face it how many people actually use nourish more than a few times in a PvE encounter?
    Are you trolling? Nourish = A druids filler spell. Hav nothing to cast? Cast nourish. Why? If you hav at least 359 ilvl or above you can cast nourish as much as you like and never go oom, ever. In fact you will gain mana. Like if you dont hav nourish on your bars you're probably bad. Sure its not as powerful as it could be as a spot heal. But its far from useless as you imply in your post.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

In 10mans nourish has its place. With nature's bounty it's not terrible HPS and as always amazing HPM. While mana isn't always a huge concern, on longer fights with low spirit reforge (especially without spine trinket), it's a good way to keep your mana going, while still having high off stats for the burst healing when needed. Don't see nourish as a big casted heal, see it as an extra hot or a free buffer. In 10man it's what allows druids reforge away spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBlueAri View Post
    Are you trolling? Nourish = A druids filler spell. Hav nothing to cast? Cast nourish. Why? If you hav at least 359 ilvl or above you can cast nourish as much as you like and never go oom, ever. In fact you will gain mana. Like if you dont hav nourish on your bars you're probably bad. Sure its not as powerful as it could be as a spot heal. But its far from useless as you imply in your post.
    Got to agree. Sure its never in top 3 heals but can nearly just be spammed in between other heals without going OOM. I use it more then often for keeping LB and Harmony up. I kind of like its mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I use nourish quite a bit, on my druid. Since, like, always.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Really the only acceptable time to nourish is if every single person is topped off, else your global/cast is better spent elsewhere

Nourish, has it's place i use it more often in 5 mans than raids simply because im not tank healing a lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    even i got nourish on my action bar and i am feral!
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

I haven't used nourish in cata, ever. It was probably required for t11 heroics, but I didn't really join a heroic guild until t12. Sure, you can gain mana and cast nourish, or you can gain MORE mana and not cast. As has been stated, nourish has a couple drawbacks that prevent its usage.

The main problem with nourish is it requires a hot. If they have the regrowth hot on them, then you already felt the need to cast regrowth. Nourish isn't a good follow-up here, since clearly death is possible (bar ooc proc, which means they're probably topped without nourish). Rejuv will probably top off whoever on its own, or you can throw out rejuvs on more people. One nourish = two potential rejuvs. Lifebloom is only on the tank bar tree-form lifebloom spam, where nourish shouldn't even be considered. I could see rolling nourish on the tank in some situations, but meh. Situational, and far from required, albeit imo the best use for nourish. But given how this tier is with aoe damage, you could probably be getting more hps by rejuv spam since theres almost always raid aoe damage from something. And wild growth is what it is. Probably the best use for nourish outside of the tank, but I'd still much rather throw a rejuv on them and move on. In 10 man, if theres nothing to rejuv you're better off throwing mf/is on the boss or laying down shrooms for an aoe moment. Nourish is just bad :/

As for nourish being what allows us to reforge spirit, not hardly. I run minimal spirit and as of now no resto shaman, with no mana problems. I don't nourish and I rejuv spam like no other. If you're having mana issues, you probably aren't using cds correctly.

Are you trolling? Nourish = A druids filler spell. Hav nothing to cast? Cast nourish. Why? If you hav at least 359 ilvl or above you can cast nourish as much as you like and never go oom, ever.
    This is a fallacy, just because you can regen mana faster than you can spend it with Nourish doesn't mean it's "free." That doesn't change the fact that its HPM is higher than almost every spell in your spellbook, though.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Deleted
    I cant keep mastery up 24/7 without casting nourish every now and then.

Nourish is a great way to refresh LB and mastery. Its a more common filler in 10 man than in 25 (where there are more people to be rejuving)

Every 10 secs it comes down to:
    a) Have I cast a HT, SM or RG recently and therefore don't need to refresh mastery?
    b) Is LB duration =< 2 sec.

If yes to either, no need to cast Nourish. If No to either Nourish is a possible good choice for casting (based on other factors like movement, SM cd, etc)

Deleted
    i use nourish alot tbh.

Deleted
    Last weeks full 8/8hc clear my nourish accounted for 2.0% of total healing albeit I cast it 229 times

I used nourish alot when i healed on my druid ( No serious healing tho ) , just to heal away the little damage , instead of spending more mana on a healing touch for that healing , but in heroic raiding that isnt the case oftenly i guess. It's also nice when you're low on mana but do wanna heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nourish depends on where you are at.

5 mans bad gear-use a lot
    5 mans good gear-never use
    pvp-never ever use
    pve new content-use a bit in 10s, almost never in 25s
    pve farm content-never need to use in 10s or 25s

The only time nourish is worth anything is when you don't have the mana to cast anything else. Farm content 10s and 25s, it doesn't matter what you use, you aren't going to go oom and the chance of your raid dying is slim.

New or progression content is different though and dependent on the fight. There are fights where for periods of time if your raid isn't herpderp your tanks and a few others are the only ones taking dmg, and you don't need to blanket, especially on 10s. Most of the time, it's better to throw out a RJ than a nourish by far. There is so much aoe cross healing and nourish does so little even if it doesn't go to overheal it's effective healing is almost worthless outside of tank spamming.

We need more spells in our arsenal, but most other classes don't use their filler heal either so buffing nourish isn't really worthwhile. Lower geared characters need it so can't really super buff it, raiders/pvpers just need a new spell in general.

Deleted
    I tend to refresh all of my LB's with Nourish unless I have a clearcast RG ready and I often use it as a filler.

Granted, I only do LFR and Normals.