Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by capslockwut View Post
    Its getting warmer, but its part of Earth's natural cycle. The percentage of increase due to human activity exists, but is very small.
    Yes, it equates to hitting just one domino out of several hundred dominos.

... Unfortunately the rest of the dominos are positioned rather critically.

Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2012-05-03 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    There are real concerns, plausible consequences, I'll cede. But nothing like the alarmist propaganda that usually drowns those concerns out.
    Are we back to arguing from extremes again?

They drown out the more logical concerns because you want them to. Makes it easier to write off the issue.

It won't be official for as long as there are politics.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post

CO2 rising is period of the earth. Whenever its high, Ice Age occurred. Global warming is BS. Ice Age is coming.
    it would depend on a number of factors. thats why the "proper" term is now "climate change".
    it would get warmer before it got colder though.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    There are real concerns, plausible consequences, I'll cede. But nothing like the alarmist propaganda that usually drowns those concerns out.
    what would the "real" concerns be? warm weather in december causing a collapse of the coat industry?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charitystar View Post
    What?

Most scientist believe that global warming is nothing more than a scam for carbon taxes...
    Wrong.

Al gore says save the earth and yet he owns about 7 AC
    Doesn't change the science. Especially since Al is no scientist.

Regardless, James lovelock himself said global warming is fake
    When?

and this man used to always talk about global warming and said it was real.
    He still does.

See?

and btw ice from the north is melting but ice from the south is forming...
    Ice from both places are forming. Every winter. In some areas of the south pole, there's even a general trend of increasing ice masses.
    But when you average out over the entire pole, the trend is a clear melting.

THERMODYNAMICS ANYONE? nothing(us) can create energy without creating excess heat (global warming).

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorn View Post
    The volcano that erupted in Iceland last year put out more emissions than humans have done in since the industrial revolution
    Oh really?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...imate-sceptics

Its unreliable evidence would suggest otherwise, considering MANY researchers have been revealed to have falsified their claims and change the data in reports concerning climate change. Even if global warming were to be real, there is no reason to think its man made. People like to compare CO2 usage to temperature increases (only in certain areas). I could make an equally correlated graph comparing hamburger consumption to temperature increases (in the ever-so-particular areas that these researchers talk about). Obviously, this graph would be nonsense, and I call the Al Gore's of the world rambling falsified prophets.

I could make an equally correlated graph comparing hamburger consumption to temperature increases (in the ever-so-particular areas that these researchers talk about).
    This is pretty amusing given the effect cows have on the environment.

Its unreliable evidence would suggest otherwise, considering MANY researchers have been revealed to have falsified their claims and change the data in reports concerning climate change.
    Ok lets see it.

Quote Originally Posted by gleepot View Post
    A lot of the data behind global warming has been proven false. Global warming is a scam. This is my opinion, deal with it.
    I've never seen data (published in a scientific journal) proven false for global warming. Please state a source on this. Remember "climategate"? No one was fired over that and no one was found to have committed fraud. It's just none of the news outlets want to report it cause people just doing their job right ain't sexy news.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JSG31494 View Post
    Its unreliable evidence would suggest otherwise, considering MANY researchers have been revealed to have falsified their claims and change the data in reports concerning climate change.
    Who?

Methinks someone is still operating on old news.
    Emailgate turned out to be a non-issue. All of the science was aquitted in several independent studies.
    The hockey graph has also been verified.
    What exactly are you talking about? Can you name a single report?

Even if global warming were to be real, there is no reason to think its man made. People like to compare CO2 usage to temperature increases (only in certain areas). I could make an equally correlated graph comparing hamburger consumption to temperature increases (in the ever-so-particular areas that these researchers talk about).
    You are silly. No other way to say it.

CO2 has a documented and explained impact on the temperature of the atmosphere.
    Hamburger consumption doesn't.

Al Gore
    Funny how opponents of AGW thinks using Al in their arguments somehow makes their arguments stronger, when in fact it has the exact opposite effect.

Quote Originally Posted by woxingma View Post
    I've never seen data (published in a scientific journal) proven false for global warming. Please state a source on this. Remember "climategate"? No one was fired over that and no one was found to have committed fraud. It's just none of the news outlets want to report it cause people just doing their job right ain't sexy news.
    News outlets did report it. People just ignore what they don't want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JSG31494 View Post
    Its unreliable evidence would suggest otherwise, considering MANY researchers have been revealed to have falsified their claims and change the data in reports concerning climate change. Even if global warming were to be real, there is no reason to think its man made. People like to compare CO2 usage to temperature increases (only in certain areas). I could make an equally correlated graph comparing hamburger consumption to temperature increases (in the ever-so-particular areas that these researchers talk about). Obviously, this graph would be nonsense, and I call the Al Gore's of the world rambling falsified prophets.
    nonsense? i wouldnt be so sure. methane, the 2nd biggest greenhouse gas, is produced by cows. beef is a very large industry worldwide. cows require land to graze, which must be cleared from forests or other natural environments. this removes much of the flora that removes CO2 from the atmosphere.
    people eat more hamburgers, requiring more cows...

Where I live, it's official, yeah. Every educated person I know agrees with the scientific consensus on climate change. In fact, I can't think of anyone at all who thinks it's a "fake" or a "scam". The evidence is overwhelming. It's only when I read the (mostly US American) Internet that I come in contact with any conspiracy theories/theorists.

Regardless, most of the suggestions made in the light of climate change are a good investment for the future anyway, whether it would actually do something about climate change or not. If you're only planning for the next 4 or 8 years or so (or however long the rest of your carreer/life is going to be), it won't return much of a profit though, of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    I think Korru got mixed up in what media defines as global warming vs what global warming actually is.

Your tired insult flinging at Fox News is as old as sin and if you actually watched conservative anything, they will agree on the existence of global warming. They will not however, agree that it's all humanities fault that the world's gotten warmer.
    That's sophism. Like saying "I believe in flu, just not in germs".

We have known for 100 years the greenhouse effect, theoretically, and in the following 100 years it was tested in laboratory, confirmed beyond any doubt. Based on that, it could be very precisely predicted what would happen if we increase the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Then precisely what was predicted has been happening.

If people say "Nooo, honestly, mankind didn't dooooo it!!!" they just sound like 12 year olds caught with their hands in the jar.

We knew it was going to happen if we did what we did.
    Then we did it.
    Then it happened, exactly as we knew it would.
    Then people start blaming random things saying what we did (and still, increasingly, do, namely to burn fossil fuel) didn't cause what happened.

Just because they don't want to pay a little now just to save a lot of costs in the future.

It all works like the budget deficit. Politicians lie and pretend things are fine, go on, business as usual. Oil maffia feeds the public soothing words that things are fine and blame anyone except themselves. Ignorant people choose to remain ignorant of how a huge problem is being built up, because they rather go on like before and deny that the shit is eventually going to hit the fan.

Cutting carbon emissions is like cutting junk food and start going to the gym. It sucks, especially when you haven't started yet, and most people will deny the need for it and make up all sorts of excuses that just don't hold up against scientifical facts.

it's half true. The globe "is" warming but there's not enough evidence to say if it's all mankind's doing or a natural cycle of the earth. Evidence shows us there has been times of warming and cooling throughout earth's history.

IMO it's probably a combination of natural cycle and mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Are we back to arguing from extremes again?

They drown out the more logical concerns because you want them to. Makes it easier to write off the issue.
    No, I write off the issue for completely different reasons. Practical reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adeodatus View Post
    Oh look, another one who bought the party line! That "90%," "The Science is settled," and "Scientific consensus" garbage is political spin. Dissenting opinions and data, and there are more than you can imagine, have been marginalized for years, but its out there if you look for it. The most recent from former NASA scientists.
    It's not a "party line." And the number is actually 97%.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...87107.abstract

"Here, we use an extensive dataset of 1,372 climate researchers and their publication and citation data to show that 97–98% of the climate researchers most actively publishing in the field support the tenets of ACC..(From Article)"

So basically, one of the most well respected scientific institutions found 1,372 of the most active climate researchers, and 97% said that climate change is "very likely" caused by human actions.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    what would the "real" concerns be? warm weather in december causing a collapse of the coat industry?
    No, the coat industry would have to adapt. That's their concern, not yours or mine.

Deleted
    Don't solar panels cause global cooling because heat energy is converted into electricity which then converted into other energies. So aren't solar panels responsible for birds freezing to death?