Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Can you believe this guy?

Why can't British women get a man?

Because they are overweight, unkempt and lazy about grooming, says a screenwriter who's made it his business to date women on both sides of the Atlantic.

American-born Tad Safran - who spends his time in London and Los Angeles - says English women are stunning natural beauties when young, but they fail to rise to the challenge as they age and need to make more of an effort.

He complains that they don't take enough care of their appearance and fitness, and drink and eat too much.

When it comes to beauty, American women win hands down.

British women are 'lazy' when it comes to personal grooming while American women take pride in their appearance

"In the iconic chick-flick Bridget Jones, the title character is a sad, lonely, overweight, posh-sounding chain-smoker in her thirties with a drinking problem and no dating prospects," he tells The Times.

"She then, one day, goes to a gym for an hour or two, spends £200 at TopShop, reads a self-help book and, lo and behold, she finds herself in the delightful position of having to decide between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

"Women of Britain: Bridget Jones's Diary is not a documentary. It's a work of fiction, a fairy tale."

Safran says American women will spend £350 a month on "beauty maintenance" (including hair, manicures and waxing) and an additional £500 on physical conditioning (including yoga and fitness training). On top of that, they go on occasional spa days and special fitness camps.

"I'm not sure any of my British female friends spends £700 during an entire year on her appearance."

He blames the failures of British women on friends not being honest with each other over their appearance, and mothers who do not teach women how to look after themselves. In America, women start going to spas in childhood.

Safran cites a recent dinner with his friend and his wife, who invited along a face from the past, named 'Sophie' to protect her real name.

Safran was friends with 'Sophie' 15 years ago and considered her a "truly beautiful" girl and was pleased when his friend's wife told him she hadn't changed at all and "still had the body of a 20-year-old".

However, Safran insists he was horrified by 'Sophie's current appearance, declaring if she did have the body of a 20-year-old, it was "dismembered in her freezer at home. She certainly didn't have it on her skeleton".

Safran was umimpressed with Sophie's presentation. He said: "'Sophie' tumbled into the house looking like a refugee from Hurricane Katrina. She smelt like the R&D lab at Philip Morris. Her outfit was about as sexy as half-pound of ground meat."

His shock continued when 'Sophie' tucked into a hearty meal of Shepherd's pie, which according to Safran, "no self-respecting American girl consumes carbohydrates after 2pm".

Even our celebrities can't get it right compared to the glamour of Hollywood.

Helena Bonham Carter was an example of an English rose, says Safran, but she is regularly photographed looking like "a bag of spanners".

You would never catch her American equivalent, Michelle Pfeiffer, with a hair out of place.

Michelle Pfeiffer at 49 is eight years older than Helena Bonham Carter but looks all the better for it

The one aspect of beauty that British women do care about is their shoes, he says. But, alas, while other women are impressed by footwear, men simply do not notice.

But it is not all bad news for British women. They do score higher than Americans in social skills.

Americans take themselves too seriously and are more grasping than British girls, who are the most self-reliant, uncomplicated and unflappable.

While British women appear to prefer the natural look and "are not obsessed with their looks", Safran claims American women spend more money on cosmetically enhancing themselves - but deny it.

British women are also renowned for having the best sense of humour, "the best of have a pint and a laugh with".

Their self-deprecating humour about their least favourite parts of their body is "incredibly endearing".

But despite all the good qualities owned by British women, Safran says many men will fail to overlook the "all-important first impression" and wait to experience them.

THIS WAS IN THE NEWSPAPER - CAN YOU BELIVE THIS GUY?

Most english men who can read and write don't look for the woman who is made of plastic with platinum blonde hair and spends hideous amounts of money that they didn't earn themselves, to make themselves look nice. They go out and get jobs and just be who they are without spending a load of money on themselves, and they still get married and have families. Indicating that it's obviously not required.

I find the whole "I must preen myself with my husbands money and I've never worked a day in my life but I must look nice for him" thing utterly repulsive.

I'd rather have a slightly overweight girl who looked human rather than a platinum blonde walking piece of leather draped over a human skeleton, with brain to match that of the cow the leather was taken from.

Infact, I'd go as far to say I'd rather have a girl who is very slightly overweight anyway. They're cuddly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can belive that guy.... there are a lot of idiots out that written trash on newspapers or saying bullsh** on the TV.... but... WELCOME TO THE PLACE WHERE HUMANS LIVE!

Deleted
    It really brings up the question. Why do we care?

He wants to prattle on about his good taste etc, etc, he can do that. I don't give a flying fuck though. Just stick to papers that actually report news, instead of tabloid bullshit.

Deleted
    Women cry saying they can't find good guys.

Men cry because they can't get women.

All is right with the world.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's obviously unintelligent, not worth my, or anybody else's, time lookingforshitstogive.jpg

Deleted
    Why does someone compare Helena Bonham Carter to Michelle Pfeiffer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Why does someone compare Helena Bonham Carter to Michelle Pfeiffer?
    Because they're thick and have a contorted sense of what is attractive in women.

American-born Tad Safran - who spends his time in London and Los Angeles - says English women are stunning natural beauties when young, but they fail to rise to the challenge as they age and need to make more of an effort.
    Stopped reading there. I think he forgets about the amount of plastic surgery in LA.

I believe it as there are a lot of guys (and girls) who are like that in the world. Personally, I'm all for "it's what's inside that counts".

Quote Originally Posted by RawrPala View Post
    Most english men who can read and write don't look for the woman who is made of plastic with platinum blonde hair and spends hideous amounts of money that they didn't earn themselves, to make themselves look nice. They go out and get jobs and just be who they are without spending a load of money on themselves, and they still get married and have families. Indicating that it's obviously not required.

I find the whole "I must preen myself with my husbands money and I've never worked a day in my life but I must look nice for him" thing utterly repulsive.

I'd rather have a slightly overweight girl who looked human rather than a platinum blonde walking piece of leather draped over a human skeleton, with brain to match that of the cow the leather was taken from.

Infact, I'd go as far to say I'd rather have a girl who is very slightly overweight anyway. They're cuddly.
    Where in this article did it ever mention that women can't earn money for themselves, over tan, and bleach their hair blonde? Beauty is subjective.

Now I would never allow my wife to spend copious amounts of cash on looking good but I do expect her to take care of herself. I'm not saying that she needs to be drop dead gorgeous in order for us to remain married but she sure as hell can't look like a cow. If you're going to spend your life with someone you need to be attracted to that person otherwise you'll lose the passion.

"no self-respecting American girl consumes carbohydrates after 2pm".
    I seriously spilled my drink all over my keyboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha that's adorable. Guess someone couldn't get laid in school. But seriously, gtfo.

Obviously not met enough Girls in his life to know any kind of truth.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I know right?

WHY was this one guy's opinions about women printed in a newspaper?

I'd chalk most of what he said up to taste, and ignore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Got it, some American ass hole is telling us how terrible our women are.

The verbal abuse I want to beseech upon this man is immeasurable, I personally love the fact that we are not a vain society obsessed with our looks in comparison to the Americans not only is it a waste of money but also unnecessary. Also where does it end? I've seen documentaries showing just how far people are willing to go to be "beautiful" and it's disgusting, at the end of their journey (if you can even call it an end) some of them even end up looking repulsive. Also most of what he has said is just complete rubbish and he needs to educate himself.

Quite frankly, if he prefers plastic fake women then he can fuck off back to America if he loves them so much. I respect that we all have different tastes but the fact that he doesn't and proceeds to tell us how bad our women are is nothing but arrogant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth17 View Post
    When it comes to beauty, American women win hands down.
    Maybe that's his taste in women. I don't see the big deal.

He is correct though. Women in Los Angeles spend ALOT more time and money on their looks than the women in Britain. It's only a logical conclusion that they end up looking better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth17 View Post
    THIS WAS IN THE NEWSPAPER - CAN YOU BELIVE THIS GUY?
    Caused attention, surely interesting enough topic for some people to buy that newspaper.

Succesfull trol... I mean reporter is succesfull.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where did he get the figures for the amounts spent on beauty-care? Those figures sound really high, but if it's country average, I want to hear what California's average is compared to a couple other states.

Deleted
    My first GF was british. I am dutch and I felt in love with her for who she was. She was a bit overweight, but beautiful from the inside and she was loving and caring.

People who are obsessed with "big boobs, blond, tight ass and thin" won't ever get to know a real woman. Man are looking for the ideal woman that doesn't exist.