10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a question, what, in people's opinions, is the best-looking 2D animated production? (not restricted to Anime only from Japan).

I agree that there are many visual styles and it's up to opinion. But something like Narurto or Bleach will never look as good as something like Samurai Champloo, purely because Naruto/Bleach are mass-produced and half the details disappear during fight scenes :P

I'm going to vote for Evangelion (even though I don't like the plot very much) followed very​ closely by Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

edit: yeah I meant quality/art/colors etc wise.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-08-18 at 11:30 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Best looking? If you mean quality, probably Sword Art Online or... Accel world. The new ones are really well done. If we're not just talking pure quality, I like Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls. Ink everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    So this is where the anime thread went...I need to be more observant...

And to keep this post relevant...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    The new ones are really well done.
    I'll agree to this, I'm completely out of touch with the new ones (shame on me for mentioning TTGL) and some of the trailers/previews have SCARY production quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite like the quality of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate but saying that a lot of the newer anime are quite well made.

I like the art in TO - A space fantasy (simply because it is different).

Other than that, I wouldn't pick out any anime that has some flourished art; simply because it is part of a newer generation. It is meaningless to compare old(er) with the newer ones.

Eye-candy on the other hand, is a wholly different story

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Here is a question, what, in people's opinions, is the best-looking 2D animated production? (not restricted to Anime only from Japan).

I agree that there are many visual styles and it's up to opinion. But something like Narurto or Bleach will never look as good as something like Samurai Champloo, purely because Naruto/Bleach are mass-produced and half the details disappear during fight scenes :P

I'm going to vote for Evangelion (even though I don't like the plot very much) followed very​ closely by Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Really hard to say. Even if you limit it to 2D art, you are still dealing with hand drawn vs. computer generated. Most newer animated projects will look really crisp, but to me lots of the time feel sort of flat. A lot of the time it feels kind of soulless to me and lacks the warmth of older hand drawn animation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ro-Kyu-Bu!

If anything has quality animation it's that show.

Plus it's lolis playing basketball. What more could you want?

Also Tari Tari, just for the backgrounds alone.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2012-08-18 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Starting to sound like a broken record but... Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai.
    Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari are also pretty damn well-made even if I didn't enjoy the shows that much.
    I agree here. Also, I realize Madoka had some quality animation (of the bad kind) but I really enjoyed the stylized battles, I guess I just really love Shaft.

Also, Hyouka is beautifully animated. Worth noting.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-08-18 at 04:55 PM.

Bake/Nisemonogatari
    Madoka
    Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
    The World God Only Knows

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    You know, I actually typed out a reference to the E.T. pointing walkie talkies at kids in place of guns, but though it might be too obscure. Glad to see I am not alone, heh.

Smoker's power is to turn his body into smoke, it isn;t from his cigars. In fact, in the 4kids edit, they make him a "cloud man" and not smoke at all. Yeah. Clouds. Yup...

To be fair, I am not entirely sure I have ever watched Nadia. I know the series, but I am unsure of the age of the character in question. America seems to have this odd thing where showing naked babies and even toddlers is fine, but any other nudity is off limits. Makes no sense to me at all.

I am almost caught up on the 2011 series now. I avoided it for the most part because I hated Killua's and Hisoka's voices when they were first introduced. I cannot be totally sure, but it really seems like they tried to make both their voices closer to the 1999 series after that first episode. Killua became more mellow and almost bored where he sounded almost like Gon in the first episode and Hisoka got much softer and creepy. He had an almost cliche raspy villain voice when first introduced. They are going at a much faster pace then the older series. I hope it keeps going since the Yorksin City and Greed Island arcs are great and while it isn't the best arc, I would love to see the Fire Ant Arc animated. Mostly, I just really, really want to see the Election arc. So much awesome in that arc and getting to see Pariston in action will be great. They better keep his sparkles damnit. I am already kind of bummed that they really reduced Killua's cat faces in the 2011 version.
    Welll i always saw smoker as going to smoke before. Also not what i meant. I meant it was kinda cool looking having him perma make smoke. And yeah i knew about the cigars.

As for Nadia about 12-14 i'd say and my point was that JAPAN was the ones who censored it not america. What i've been trying to say is that it seems american "values" have started to impact japan in some ways without an item even touching american soil.

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 06:00 PM ----------

Star Driver and Gundam Unicorn hands down.

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Really hard to say. Even if you limit it to 2D art, you are still dealing with hand drawn vs. computer generated. Most newer animated projects will look really crisp, but to me lots of the time feel sort of flat. A lot of the time it feels kind of soulless to me and lacks the warmth of older hand drawn animation.
    Well i just went for shows that are GORGEOUS in blu ray like star driver(ESPECIALLY zero time) and Unicorn(soooo pretty) but yeah it is really hard to answer when you really start to stretch it. So i just went for "Ooooh Sparkly" answers. Other than those though Madoka for the witches lairs and TBH almost anything shinbo or shaft was involved in.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2012-08-18 at 06:06 PM.

I'm kind of surprised no one here has said "5 Cent per Second." That still stands out to me as the best looking animation today.

I forgot Mononoke, best looking anime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I forgot Mononoke, best looking anime.

[video]
    Hmm, not to be confused with Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) eh?

Also, oh god the colors *goes into seizure*

Hmm, not to be confused with Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) eh?

Also, oh god the colors *goes into seizure*
    Yeah, they aren't related, besides having Mononoke in the name. I really love Mononoke, the Medicine Seller is so amazing.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-08-18 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    I'd say before, but I kinda watched the whole series comparing it to the OVA and wondering why some things were worse
    Thanks! 10

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 09:03 PM ----------

I've only seen a handful of anime compared to most of you, but a few that I loved the look of were 5 Centimeters Per Second, Eve no Jikan, Spice and Wolf, Spirited Away, Claymore, Sword Art Online, and Summer Wars. A lot of people probably wont agree with me on this one, but I enjoy the art and animations of One Piece quite a bit too. Forgot to mention Samurai Champloo as well.
    Last edited by Hemoglobin; 2012-08-18 at 09:23 PM.

If we're talking about unique animations, I'd have to say the art style for Gankutsuou is probably the most unique I've ever seen. I remember watching a few episodes, but I just couldn't, as the I've read The Count of Monte Cristo, and I just couldn't deal with it.

Still, unique and whatnot. Also, holy crap, but I forgot how gaudy and colorful it was.

3DS Friend Code: 3282-4450-9594

Only anime i've ever really liked is the old stuff; the most 'modern' being Gungrave. I recently watched a video on youtube someone made to accompany a Röyksopp video which I found to be a montage of My Neighbour Totoro, which looked to be such a harmless/pleasant film, never mind the fact that it's obviously not bad to have been included in Empire's 500 best films of all time. Will get round to watching it some time but the new stuff, eh I don't know; nothing really grabs me these days. Maybe it's the art style or the stories; my girlfriend watches Avatar so maybe there's something of substance to that, but anime's that focus around school girls or fights (the usual archetypes) don't do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarastayaa View Post
    If we're talking about unique animations, I'd have to say the art style for Gankutsuou is probably the most unique I've ever seen. I remember watching a few episodes, but I just couldn't, as the I've read The Count of Monte Cristo, and I just couldn't deal with it.

Still, unique and whatnot. Also, holy crap, but I forgot how gaudy and colorful it was.

[video=youtube;kwjWBnWjWbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjWBnWjWbc[video]
    Completely forgot about that one, and Mononoke at that. Gankutsuou easily has some of the most stunning visuals. Haven't read the novel yet, but the show is actually really good once you get into it, even with the space theme(which they really don't use often since most of it takes place in France).

Mononoke's are really good too, but Skelington prefer's Gankutsuou's. Maybe it's the colors and all around surrealism while some of the characters in Mononoke just look awful.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-18 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Only anime i've ever really liked is the old stuff; the most 'modern' being Gungrave. I recently watched a video on youtube someone made to accompany a Röyksopp video which I found to be a montage of My Neighbour Totoro, which looked to be such a harmless/pleasant film, never mind the fact that it's obviously not bad to have been included in Empire's 500 best films of all time. Will get round to watching it some time but the new stuff, eh I don't know; nothing really grabs me these days. Maybe it's the art style or the stories; my girlfriend watches Avatar so maybe there's something of substance to that, but anime's that focus around school girls or fights (the usual archetypes) don't do anything for me.
    Give Fate/Zero a go, it's mature and is pretty visually impressive. I enjoyed the story a lot too, and *some* of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Mononoke's are really good too, but Skelington prefer's Gankutsuou's. Maybe it's the colors and all around surrealism while some of the characters in Mononoke just look awful.
    Well, yeah, some of the characters are ugly, but it's suppose to replicate old Japanese paintings, so they aren't really suppose to look attractive.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-08-19 at 12:27 AM.