Thread: Asura - WTF?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Aren't anthromorphs a subsidiarity of humanoids?
    Charr are the very definition of anthropomorphism. But oh well that's offtopic.

I think Asura as a whole aren't very good looking, but to me mole rats aren't cute too, it's a matter of taste.
    You're able to give some of them some quite decent traits though.
    And something is for sure: what they may lack in appearance, they compensate with a quite hilarious character.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Deleted
    I was originally gonna roll a human warrior. but I never hated/disliked the Asura race as I thought it was one of the more interesting choices. But then it hit me! Asura with a flamethrower! Asura Engineer here i come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Next you'll be telling me this isn't a humanoid cow because its hunched forward.
    It has nothing to do with it being hunched. I'm talking about the creature's skeleton.

Absolutely the only humanoid qualities Charr have are standing upright, and opposable digits. Which are only unique in the real world, not so much in fantasy worlds. Charr don't even have human boobs.

It'd be much more accurate to describe them as "felinoid"

Really, as far as I can tell, what you're really trying to say is that you want to play centaur, or naga, or thri-keen. How are either of those that much more special than playing a Charr? What, because they have four legs, or no legs, or insectoid anatomy? Yeah, that's really different.

Really, we're humans. We like to play things we can grasp and understand, which means playing things close to our nature and anatomy. Even the most outlandish fantasy/sci-fi races are based off things from human culture.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 08:56 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

They reminded me of something from the moment I first saw them and then I finally realized that they are actually house elfs from HP.

Asura:

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    They reminded me of something from the moment I first saw them and then I finally realized that they are actually house elfs from HP.

Asura:

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Oh I know what Asura remind me of...
    Dobby/Elves from Harry Potter, but with better posture/nicer skin and just as powerful. Seriously, elves in HP were OP as heck.

I'ma play an Asura too. They're so kewl.
    I agree, lol.

As for humanoid vs. non-humanoid, the reason most games have humanoids as playable is because they're more familiar and portray as intelligent. If you're asking for a non-humanoid intelligent race, it's hard to get that to hit home in a player's mind and make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just be glad that each race isn't like Klingons: actors wearing rubber masks and facepaint. For an actor to dress up like a Charr realistically, they'd have to go all Underworld on us, with mechanical stilt-legs and full-on leather and fur suits, complemented with CGI graphics for realistic facial expressions.

Closest we got to that is Norn.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 08:59 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It has nothing to do with it being hunched. I'm talking about the creature's skeleton.

Absolutely the only humanoid qualities Charr have are standing upright, and opposable digits. Which are only unique in the real world, not so much in fantasy worlds. Charr don't even have human boobs.

It'd be much more accurate to describe them as "felinoid"

Really, as far as I can tell, what you're really trying to say is that you want to play centaur, or naga. How are either of those that much more special than playing a Charr? What, because they have four legs, or no legs? Yeah, that's really different.
    No, I don't want to play a centaur. A naga - maybe. I also want to see artists and devs using some imagination for a change. I want to play a beholder, an insectoid or an arachnid. Hell, I'll even settle for some avian species. Or an actual plant: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zBhTLrnm4S...AlienPlant.jpg instead of a green human with boobs.

I'll even settle for a bloody genie http://www.fanpop.com/spots/disney/i...rg-genie-photo.

Anything except for the trite, 15 year old concept of bipedal human with an animal face being passed off as something new.

edit:
    As for humanoid vs. non-humanoid, the reason most games have humanoids as playable is because they're more familiar and portray as intelligent. If you're asking for a non-humanoid intelligent race, it's hard to get that to hit home in a player's mind and make sense.
    Yeah I know the reasoning. Polls show the further a race gets from its human origins, the less people play it. Still, one can hope.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-08-22 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weird Beard View Post
    I beg to differ, but to each their own.

Edit: Took the liberty to re-size that for you. This might help you next time . If not feel free to PM me
    Hmm it does look bad indeed.
    I don't know why but its face just spells 'retard' for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    bipedal human with an animal face

I do not see a human with an animal face.

Let's just be glad that each race isn't like Klingons: actors wearing rubber masks and facepaint. For an actor to dress up like a Charr realistically, they'd have to go all Underworld on us, with mechanical stilt-legs and full-on leather and fur suits, complemented with CGI graphics for realistic facial expressions.

Closest we got to that is Norn.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 09:03 PM.

They're clearly anthropomorphs. You can't deny that.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2012-08-22 at 09:03 PM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

[snip]
    I do not see a human with an animal face.
    I don't know about you guys but my legs don't bend that way.

I don't like Asuras much either.

Quote Originally Posted by ajoram View Post
    Even though all my friends keep telling me about how awesome GW2 is going to be, I have to facepalm everytime I see a screenshot of an Asura...

It has to be the most ugly, stupid-looking race I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.

As much as I would like to join my friends in GW2 I just can't get over it....
    Is the same reason I cannot play wow...I find pandas very silly and I can't get over it...While ugly is subjective and although ugly is still somewhat serious in contrast with the epic silliness...I was happy with transmogrification to put my Lightforge set on my paladin and look as an epic Knight, and then something pass nearby..o yeah a kung fu panda..Bugs bunny incoming also
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    They're clearly anthropomorphs. You can't deny that.
    Anthropomorphs to be sure, but that's already such a broad term, I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing.

I simply could not see a playable race of beholders really working out too well, for example.

I've played a MUD called Grendel's Revenge. All the playable races are literally monster races, of three distinct types: undead, humanoid, and chimera. Undead were undead: spirits, mummies, liches, zombies. Humanoids were obvious: minotaurs, orcs, ogres. Chimera typically are things like sphinxes, gryphons, phoenixes, hydras.

I can understand wanting to play monsterly races like that, but... well, it's hard to make such races work with the Tyria setting. Chimera also didn't get to wear any armor except for neckwear.

If you want to play a game with playable "monster" races, Guild Wars 2 is not that game.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post
    They look a bit like pugs (the dog)
    They look like hamsters to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    To discuss a devastating detail of a game, that I could probably have liked.
    Well then is a discussion about a subjective issue, therefor is your problem not theirs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    Is the same reason I cannot play wow...I find pandas very silly and I can't get over it...While ugly is subjective and although ugly is still somewhat serious in contrast with the epic silliness...I was happy with transmogrification to put my Lightforge set on my paladin and look as an epic Knight, and then something pass nearby..o yeah a kung fu panda..Bugs bunny incoming also
    Chen Stormstout - first sighting, 2003.
    Kung Fu Panda - first sighting, 2008.

Who stole from who?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 09:13 PM.

Chen Stormstout - first sighting, 2003.
    Kung Fu Panda - first sighting, 2008.

Who stole from who?
    No one stole anything. But Kung fu panda made a great success as a movie and the reason Blizzard to make the old and forgotten lore of pandaren the core of the new expansion. It has already been discussed. Warcraft lore its huge and there was 10000000 possibilities for the new expansion...the reason they have chosen pandas wasn't because it was a great part of warcraft lore, excuse me, my opinion.

Also when I see a panda the first thing comes to my mind is Kung fu panda..especially when I see the panda as blizzard created them...so I said my opinion why I cannot play wow because of this, as the OP said why he cannot play GW2 because of asura. I wasn't angry because I respect the copyrights of Kung fu panda movie
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-22 at 09:19 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though all my friends keep telling me about how awesome GW2 is going to be, I have to facepalm everytime I see a screenshot of an Asura...

It has to be the most ugly, stupid-looking race I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.

As much as I would like to join my friends in GW2 I just can't get over it....
    MiF is going to kill u, sorry if she looks cute while doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    lol. I had no interest in the Asura at all....until I made one in the BWE3 just so I could see their starting area....,..now Im hooked on the pesky little things !!
    Same here. I had no interest in making one and thought they were horrible looking. Then BWE3 I made one and fell in love with it. She is not ugly or disgusting... well maybe disgustingly CUTE!!! I love the way they run, fall, jump... everything about them. When I logged on yesterday and started to /dance it just made me happy