Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Questions before I buy...

Alright, so I'm considering buying GW2, but I don't want it to sit there and collect dust after a day or two or me not liking it.

I'm primarily concerned about end-game. In terms of a progression raider, would it cater to me or is GW2 (end-game) almost predominantly meant to be a PvP game? I'm talking in the sense of almost any game, I only PvP when I'm extremely bored and/or I'm locked out of any and all raids for the week.

How about gear? I've seen some streams where I swear I see stats on the gear, but then I remember there being a lot of talk about how gear was almost purely cosmetic?
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-08-27 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    why not look at the stickies or read the forum. its not a personal q and a sorry

Deleted
    There's no raids. The PvE "endgame" are more difficult versions of the eight dungeons. Take that as a good or a bad thing how you will, I'm not a PvE person anyway.

There's still traditional stats, but a lot more of the 'endgame' items such as the top PvP kit is mainly cosmetic in the sense you slap it on your main pieces of gear to show off that you've done that content, reached that rank, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    why not look at the stickies or read the forum. its not a personal q and a sorry
    Damn, sorry man. Thought the forum was to ask questions, discuss things, etc. Didn't mean to think the forums were a place where I would get personal service... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Damn, sorry man. Thought the forum was to ask questions, discuss things, etc. Didn't mean to think the forums were a place where I would get personal service... lol.
    Having asked a question that is easily answred by a little research and was discussed to death already is really offensive to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrok- View Post
    Having asked a question that is easily answred by a little research and was discussed to death already is really offensive to be honest.
    If you are offended by the post, report it. I mean seriously is that what these forums have come to? I'm smart and realize if I don't want to see a thread based off of the title of it I don't click on it, but to be offended by a simple question is... utterly hilarious.

I also hope you realize that if "use the search feature" was "enforced" that a good 50+% of any topics in forums wouldn't even exist. I'm just going to bail from this thread but people need to realize a forum, by definition is a place to discuss things, ask questions, get answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    i certainly am not bothered by the question i just think it would be better placed in a pre existing thread, diddnt mean to sound like a tool. if everyone wanter their own q and a this forum would collapse.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-27 at 02:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) There are no raids. End-game content is (hard) five man dungeons and/or high-level dynamic events. And there's always the option of PvP. You won't find anything that works the same as raids in WoW.

2) Gear does have stats, but at max level it should be the same stats for everyone. Some gear might have more Power, others more Vitality, but their overall power should be the same. Look at it like this: The gear from the second raid would have the same stats as the gear from the first raid. Max-level gear is max-level gear.

Damn, sorry man. Thought the forum was to ask questions, discuss things, etc. Didn't mean to think the forums were a place where I would get personal service...
    I normally defend the right for people to ask questions, but these weren't very specific and could indeed be found out by just reading the first page of the READ ME-sticky.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

If you are offended by the post, report it. I mean seriously is that what these forums have come to? I'm smart and realize if I don't want to see a thread based off of the title of it I don't click on it, but to be offended by a simple question is... utterly hilarious.

I also hope you realize that if "use the search feature" was "enforced" that a good 50+% of any topics in forums wouldn't even exist. I'm just going to bail from this thread but people need to realize a forum, by definition is a place to discuss things, ask questions, get answers.
    Heh, have you been to the Elitist Jerks forums? They basically have this policy, and it's basically dead and impossible to navigate because of it. Everything about one subject is concentrated into one massive thread that takes hours to read through, can't always be searched for (if you don't know exactly what to search for, even if a human reading your question would instantly understand you), and in spite of that the same questions are asked dozens of times per thread anyway since nobody can be assed to moderate them completely.

The whole point of human-to-human interaction is to allow people to ask other people questions in ways that people will understand and be able to answer. Maybe even embellish with opinions and anecdotes! Humans communicating with other humans instead of everyone just googling everything so that we have 2 million people reading the same top 3 google hits for all their info on everything!

Sigh.

Sadly, I can't help you with your question very much, beyond to say that from what I understand, GW2 doesn't really have any end-game PvE.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    2) Gear does have stats, but at max level it should be the same stats for everyone. Some gear might have more Power, others more Vitality, but their overall power should be the same. Look at it like this: The gear from the second raid would have the same stats as the gear from the first raid. Max-level gear is max-level gear.
    Now on this you are partialy wrong. Higher rarity means higher stats (excluding legendaries), even on max level. So a piece of blue gear at level 80 will have less stats than a green piece of gear at level 80, and a yellow will have more stats than all others (legendaries should be equivalent to yellows).

10+ Year Old Account
    Now on this you are partialy wrong. Higher rarity means higher stats (excluding legendaries), even on max level. So a piece of blue gear at level 80 will have less stats than a green piece of gear at level 80, and a yellow will have more stats than all others (legendaries should be equivalent to yellows).
    Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that part. Thanks.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

TL;DR. No end game raiding.

Can you progress your character after reaching level 80? Yes. Are there raids? No, not in the sens of 10/25 players organized into Healers, Tanks and DPSs fighting a boss. There are hard dungeons (that cannot be outleveled or trivialized with gear) that you do in 5-men parties, and outdoors hard events that you do with a variable amount of people (they scale to the number of people present). That's the closest you'll get to WoW raiding.
    Last edited by DrunkenBeard; 2012-08-27 at 04:24 PM.

Bad news, there's no raids and gear progression (like WoW iLevels always going up with patches and expansion)

Good news, because of scaling and the fact that there is no gear progression, the content should stay relevant and challenging. Also, as updates and expansions come out, the PvE content will continually scale horizontally instead of older content becoming irrelevant.

PvP also has the WvWvW dimention that is very interresting.

Deleted
    why did you even enter this thread?, title says it all, so if you don't like answering to people don't click it next time.
    Last edited by mmoca01e16f76d; 2012-08-27 at 05:06 PM.

I'm primarily concerned about end-game. In terms of a progression raider, would it cater to me or is GW2 (end-game) almost predominantly meant to be a PvP game?
    It is not a PVP game strictly. But there is no comparable endgame whatsoever to mainstream MMOs such as WoW.

You do the same things at level 80 as you did at 30, 40, 50, etc. That is to say; DEs in the open world, exploring, 5-man dungeons and whatever PVP should you fancy.

There are no raids.

How about gear? I've seen some streams where I swear I see stats on the gear, but then I remember there being a lot of talk about how gear was almost purely cosmetic?
    There is no vertical power progression pass the level 80 gear plateau. Once you reach the maximum power level of gear it is just cosmetic and stat weight differences.

Your seriously offended by a question? Seriously??

I hope your kids ask you every single question they can think of. The amount of questions that could be answered by a little research and that have been discussed to death would make your head explode from being offended too much.
    Last edited by Electromatt; 2012-08-27 at 05:14 PM.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    why did you even enter this thread?, title says it all, so if you don't like answering to people don't click it next time.
    why even post yourself what have you added? i actually apologised later, at least have a dig at me and then say something relevant, you clearl havent read the thread just jumped on me without thinking.

ot there are clear stat weight differences, just check out the legendaries they are offering a stat boost not just in how those stats are distibuted.

ive been corrected dont quote me i was sent a link that was clearly photo shopped
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-27 at 05:23 PM.

why even post yourself what have you added? i actually apologised later, at least have a dig at me and then say something relevant.

ot there are clear stat weight differences, just check out the legendaries they are offering a stat boost not just in how those stats are distibuted.
    Legendaries will have the same stats as exotics, get your facts straight

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    alturic...... u been here on these forums posting , for like 3 months ......