Thread: Antagonist RPG?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Antagonist RPG?

I had this sudden urge yesterday to play an RPG where you play as the antagonist - the bad guy. I can't really think of a great deal of them though. Can anyone recommend a (few) good one(s)?

It has to be available for one of my working machines though, which would be a PC, PS2, XBOX (the first one, not the 360), or the SNES. Yes, I have a working SNES console and fortunately I know a great guy halfway across the country who can acquire pretty much any cartridge I ask for. :P

Anyone care to help me out?

I hear the Witcher 2 blurs the lines of morality, that's the only one I can really think of off the top of my head. I'd give that a try if you haven't already.

Edit: Shame you don't have a PS3; the Disgaea series sounds perfect for you. They have a couple games for the PS2, you should give those a try, too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I hear the Witcher 2 blurs the lines of morality, that's the only one I can really think of off the top of my head. I'd give that a try if you haven't already.
    Myeah, I've played it, but you still play a protagonist. Still the same ol' "saving the damsel in distress" deal. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd really like to play a game with the player character as the actual antagonist. :P

Only one I can think of is Fable... and even there its a bit weak...

Seriously, developers should stop cattering to kids that wish to see good always triumph over evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Myeah, I've played it, but you still play a protagonist. Still the same ol' "saving the damsel in distress" deal. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd really like to play a game with the player character as the actual antagonist. :P
    Looks like I wasn't quick enough in my edit; have you played any of the Disgaea series? #3 and #4, while on the PS3, sound exactly like what you're looking for. #3's plot: you're a demon overlord, who's out to kill your father because he broke your gaming console. I know that there are some Disgaea games for the PS2, you should check them out (note, I can only vouch for #3 and #4).

Edit again! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/88..._7_suggest__13 Get this. You get this right damned now! Cthulhu Saves the World is fantastic.

Hmmm that is a good question. I really can't think of one. Dark... wtf was it. You were Vaders Apprentice and stormed around killing rebels and wookies and any imps who got in your way. Your codename was Starkiller.

I can't remember the name of it now, and that is the only one I can think of.

@Icedwarrior, Yes, the first two disgea's you were 'evil' as well, but it was a comical tongue-in-cheek evil. Not like supreme overlord.

You could try Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 from GOG. I love those games, but they are more base-building sims than RPGs

There is this game where you are this evil lord or something and you have a horde of minions you summon and do combat with. You get your own fortress that eventually upgrades, different combat stuff and minions you can unlock and the graphics are ok. Don't remember the title though.

Overlord: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlor..._video_game%29
    Last edited by Thelxi; 2012-09-18 at 09:15 AM.

Skyrim, sort of... you can become thief and ruthless assassin.

Edit again! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/88..._7_suggest__13 Get this. You get this right damned now! Cthulhu Saves the World is fantastic.
    I think the name itself spoils that it is not what is he looking for.

inFAMOUS might have what you're looking for.

Overlord series, which is what Thelxi was mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I think the name itself spoils that it is not what is he looking for.
    -.-;; I'm trying here, dammit. I've got nothing, and that's the closest I could come. Regardless, two games for $3, (s)he should get it regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    @Icedwarrior, Yes, the first two disgea's you were 'evil' as well, but it was a comical tongue-in-cheek evil. Not like supreme overlord.
    I don't see anywhere in the OP where it had to be gritty and dark. I only see "antagonist", which it fits. Just sayin'.

Overlord and Overlord 2 were fantastic games that match your criteria.

Mind you, you end up being somewhat of a lesser evil, but you are still mainly portrayed as running around wrecking havoc as the main means of progressing in the game.
    Don't try to argue with idiots. It will bring you down to their level, where they will crush you with their experience.
    Razzoc of Kill Loot Repeat, Sylvanas EU, Mac-How

I don't see anywhere in the OP where it had to be gritty and dark. I only see "antagonist", which it fits. Just sayin'.
    And that is fine. It is just when I hear antagonist, the bad guy, I don't think the comically bumbling son of the devil in a hilarious game. :P

Deleted
    The KotOR games allow you to be quite the asshole and, on top of that, are pretty freaking amazing and the Blood Omen games in the Legacy of Kain series have you play Kain, a self-serving, egotistical megalomaniac who is hell bent on acting vengeance on those who took away his life/throne (depending on the game) and then ruling over the world of Nozgoth with his vampiric empire, driving free humans to the point of extinction and rearing enslaved humans for food.

Granted that in Blood Omen a lot of the enemies you kill are just as if not more evil than Kain, but he himself can hardly be considered a nice guy. LoK isn't strictly an RPG, it's more a hack'n'slash with a very immersive, albeit sometimes overwhelming story, great characters and the occasional costume change that make it feel like an RPG at times. I thoroughly recommend those if you are looking to let out your wicked side. >=3

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    And that is fine. It is just when I hear antagonist, the bad guy, I don't think the comically bumbling son of the devil in a hilarious game. :P
    Problem with going the serious "bad guy" route is that it's difficult for the player to sympathize with the character. If they're just bad for the sake of being a dick, then why would I want to play that character, or have any vested interest in him? I would much rather have a "comical" bad guy. And if you're going to have him by sympathetic, well, then he's not a "bad guy".

Deleted
    I do have Cthulhu Saves the World, but I've barely played it yet - I really should, since I love JRPG-SNES-style games. :P

Been ages since I played Dungeon Keeper, might have to repurchase that, if only for the nostalgia.

As for the other suggestions, I'll certainly look into them once I'm home from work, but from the sounds of it there are some great options to choose from. Keep 'em coming!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Ge...8video_game%29

I might admit that I still play this occasionally.

Anyway, you pick your "Evil Genius" and start off on an island with a huge mountain. You build your nefarious base into the side and underneath the mountain. You build control rooms to send operatives out into the world, barracks for the men, armorys to store their guns (you can alter the alert level, they arm at orange but do duty and at red they run in circles attacking all non friendlys without prompting), science labs, a hospital, a library, a food court, a training room etc.

You hire "Workers" which are manual labourers, drones if you will. Can train these in 3 paths - military, social and science. There are 2 upgrades for each then the 3rd upgrade you choose, so for military it goes Rifleman -> Mercenary then you pick between "Martial Artist" and "Sniper". Each has their own perks. Social minions care for your other ones and should they get hurt/tired they help em out. You can build HUUUUGE chain traps involving pressure pads and flame vents and shark pits and gas chambers and doors and stuff to trap enemy agents who try to infiltrate your base, doors to keep em out etc. Can send your minions into the world to steal from loooads of countries to get money (but they are at risk and you get "heat" from the government, increasing chances of them finding your troops and killing em) but can also do plotting to find nefarious acts whcih increase your "Notoriety" which unlocks more upgrades for you.

As the game goes on you can capture and interrogate people to find shit out and in the end you move to a second island, battle super agents who can't be killed by conventional means, and build a rocket silo to annihalate something you don't like

Tada It's rather cartoony but it's very good imo.

In short - build your nefarious evil hidden island base, defend against agents from countries, do something with the tourists that randomly appear, hide the body bags, sent operatives out into the world, steal money from the governments, plot against them, steal artifacts to gain infamy AND AIM FOR WORLD DOMINATION MUAHAHAHA.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2012-09-18 at 09:32 AM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Dark messiah maybe? depends a bit on your choices though
    the game on hardcore diff is pretty fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I do have Cthulhu Saves the World, but I've barely played it yet - I really should, since I love JRPG-SNES-style games. :P

Been ages since I played Dungeon Keeper, might have to repurchase that, if only for the nostalgia.

As for the other suggestions, I'll certainly look into them once I'm home from work, but from the sounds of it there are some great options to choose from. Keep 'em coming!
    Goodluck with dungeon keeper, i couldnt find a copy at all. Dungeon keeper 2 you might be able to find, but 1 was so much better imo.