Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

I never thought I'd be sad to say good by to Tol Barad

Anyone else sorry that there won't be a Wintergrasp or Tol Barad equivalent in MoP?

I hated Tol Barad on launch - I thought it was a stupidly simplistic design and disliked the confused mass scrummages around the flags. (I much preferred Wintergrasp, which felt more like a proper battle with elements of military strategy and encouraged smaller discrete combats.) However, at the end of the expansion, as the number participating has fallen and I've come to understand the strategic element (which is also better tuned between attack and defence), I've been regularly queuing. Partly for something to do, partly because I find it fun. The honour rewards for time spent are also good.

It's different from Battlegrounds because it feels more integrated with the world (realm) and more focussed. I like the fact that there is usually more camaderie and support within your team than the chat raging you get in random BGs. I'm on a PvE realm, so it's the closest we usually come to world PvP (I'm not interested in ganking or still less being ganked, but the idea of larger scale factional PvP conflicts like the intermittent city raids is very attractive). I also like the fact that it's on a 2 hour timer: it's always around the corner, but it's not something you have to chain run - it's a nice time out from whatever grinding or levelling you are mainly preoccupied with.

I just feel we are losing something moving into MoP without a replacement.

I wonder what will happen to Tol Barad in MoP? I guess the honour rewards will be nerfed, comparable to what Wintergrasp currently offers and not worth the time required to obtain them.

EDIT: "goodbye" typo in title, d'oh!
    Last edited by mmoced226c0d6b; 2012-09-21 at 02:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP is pretty much one huge Tol Barad without the objectives. The continent isn't that big compared to Northrend and I expect there to be plenty of World PvP even when everyone is level 90. Dailies are spread out in 4 different zones.

But you're on a PvE server so it doesn't affect you. To me honestly you should try and get over your fear of being ganked and go to a pvp server. Who the hell cares if you die... just respawn like the rest of us. It doesn't hurt my ego that Xxskilledxx ganked me 50 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no. I liked the Wintergrasp format, as it wasn't so bad when it came to a fair chance. But on the matter of Tol Barad, it was hard. It required a mass load of teamwork, something my realm (Moon Guard horde side) Didn't always grasp.

What makes me worry more is the -reasons- for doing these 'events'.

Yes, the world bosses are coming back, but they also fill the void of the VoA like bosses. It's awesome that it'll take 40 or so people (at launch) to take them down, but then what? What if a guild or two farms it, and gives no one else a chance to drop them? What happens to those who don't get invited to the raid for the bosses? I know it's not -required- but it's nice, and with Wintergrasp and TB, it felt nice to have that chance at loot, and being able to fight for the right to enter that raid, or have access to that extra feature

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    Yes and no. I liked the Wintergrasp format, as it wasn't so bad when it came to a fair chance. But on the matter of Tol Barad, it was hard. It required a mass load of teamwork, something my realm (Moon Guard horde side) Didn't always grasp.

What makes me worry more is the -reasons- for doing these 'events'.

Yes, the world bosses are coming back, but they also fill the void of the VoA like bosses. It's awesome that it'll take 40 or so people (at launch) to take them down, but then what? What if a guild or two farms it, and gives no one else a chance to drop them? What happens to those who don't get invited to the raid for the bosses? I know it's not -required- but it's nice, and with Wintergrasp and TB, it felt nice to have that chance at loot, and being able to fight for the right to enter that raid, or have access to that extra feature

From what i understood, the bosses themselves would get tougher with each tier, justifying better drops as well.

And there was no 'tagging', if you hit the boss, even if your not in the 40 man raid group, you get loot at the end LFR style, not actual rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    From what i understood, the bosses themselves would get tougher with each tier, justifying better drops as well.

And there was no 'tagging', if you hit the boss, even if your not in the 40 man raid group, you get loot at the end LFR style, not actual rolling.
    Is there like a weekly save too?

Deleted

source for this? if so that's pretty nice change from blizzard from the old style world bosses.

Wintergrasp was great because it was in Northrend
    Tol Barad is seperated on an island you can't even fly to. TB is a like a BG

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    Is there like a weekly save too?
    Yes. You can kill it as many times as you like but you'll be able to loot it once per week, like a normal raid boss.

Tol Barad was amazing, I probably joined 200-300+ battles during the first patch!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed WG immensely, even though on my old server we were horribly outnumbered by Alliance. I even stayed behind numerous times after battles trying to keep the PvP going.

Conversely with TB I think I participated maybe 2-3 times during all of Cataclysm. It was a lame design.

I loved TB throughout Cata, so much better than WG.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Wntergrasp. TB on the other hand sucked in my opinion. I kinda wish there was another one in Pandaria but not that much
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Thought they said you had to be in the group that tagged them or no loot, myself - they changed their stance on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    I loved Wntergrasp. TB on the other hand sucked in my opinion. I kinda wish there was another one in Pandaria but not that much
    WG imo was better than TB in every way. I love vehicular combat. I loved that TB actually had people addressing ALL aspects of PvP from small skirmishes to arena-like 3v3 battles to massive all out warfare to focus the demo. And the incentive for being there in between battles was for mats instead of dailies which I think gets more traffic in zones anyways.

Maybe it's just that my server completely died out after WotLK and every TB since has been a 5v5.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    TB wasn't amazing but I'd imagine it'll still be a decent source of honor for MoP with the win quest.

IMHO opinion WG and TB massiively failed in comparison to IQD anyway so im not really fussed, with CRZ we should see a bit more world pvp around anyway(fingers crossed)

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be pretty cool if there is no "tagging" the boss to participate and get rewarded. I can imagine a big group of horde and alliance killing the boss then once the boss goes down an all out 40v40 death match.

I would imagine if they do have a tagging system in place the amount of harassment from the opposing faction would make it pretty difficult to get the boss down on pvp servers. I know if I see alliance trying to kill the boss, I'll be stopping by to cc some healers.

Deleted
    Gonna miss Tb the minute I realize how much slower it is to grind honor without it.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    MoP is pretty much one huge Tol Barad without the objectives. The continent isn't that big compared to Northrend and I expect there to be plenty of World PvP even when everyone is level 90. Dailies are spread out in 4 different zones.

But you're on a PvE server so it doesn't affect you. To me honestly you should try and get over your fear of being ganked and go to a pvp server. Who the hell cares if you die... just respawn like the rest of us. It doesn't hurt my ego that Xxskilledxx ganked me 50 times.
    Pandaria is about the same size as Northrend though, Jade Forest alone is stupidly big.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Tol Barad was an absolute snooze fest for me. Wintergrasp was completely epic though, we always ended up with 100+ on each side just destroying each other. Reminded me of the old vanilla and TBC days, shame they didn't last as long. Although there would always be people to kill in the zone after the battle.