Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are we STILL talking about this? This is pretty basic business stuff.

2.7 Mil for the first week is actually better than a lot of people expected, and it's a damn impressive number all things considered. I don't think a single rational person honestly expected MoP, no matter how good it was, to outsell previous expansions. It could have been the best expansion possible and it was very unlikely to outsell previous expansions. MMOs are hard games to get into later in their lifespans, so when WoW lost all those millions of subscribers last expansion it was almost impossible to bring all of them back for MoP, and there was no way that Blizzard would make up the difference in new subscribers with the hurdles that new subscribers have to jump through. As a new subscriber it doesn't really make sense to even buy MoP yet unless you're really set on being a Monk.

Financially MoP is a success so far for Blizzard, MoP also seems to be a success for players. To see whether it's a success in the long term though we'll have to wait for quarterly reports to see if people stick around and keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    No it hasn't. Nice try though.
    except for release. I'll give you that.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Five days after GW2 headstart launch, they halted sales so that high player concurrency would not compromise player's experiences.

They did not have a 9 million current customer base to sell to and they did no advertising.

Compare that to World of Warcraft's launch at 700k in sales.

Carry on!
    GW2 wasn't advertised? How can you be on this site and say that with a straight face?

10+ Year Old Account
    Five days after GW2 headstart launch, they halted sales so that high player concurrency would not compromise player's experiences.

They did not have a 9 million current customer base to sell to and they did no advertising.

Carry on!
    Ya its funny that a game that is 8 years old, has a sub fee & is out dated. Kicks the crap outta of a new game that was suppose to be good, has no sub fee, suppose to revolutionize MMOs & turned out to be just another hype driven game that got boring after 2 weeks.

In the end hype sells games & after 2 month those sales don't matter anymore cause the majority has prbly got a refund like myself and used the money to buy booze to drink while playing Mists of Pandaria on my Panda (Pandaren) Monk .
    Last edited by Arbs; 2012-11-01 at 10:57 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

We should have a peer review to having Jaylock's thread creating privileges removed

OT: Mist of Pandara is very different to previous expansions. A few reasons

1. People felt "betrayed" by Cata and weren't keen on spending money on Mop at release.
    2. Many haters AKA (op) Called Panda's childish, immature, nothing new, rehashed content. This discourage people from seeing how personal and involved the storyline is.
    Eg. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post18728071
    Eg. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post18579021
    Eg. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post18569060

3.. Many people Felt GW2 the Proclaimed saviour of MMO's would be the new mmo to play. (how that worked out =/ )

Personally I see MoP as the new TBC, the brings in a whole flood of new people into the genre, similar to how TBC was.
    Exploration, Pet Battles, Achievements + Rep Fractions gives plenty of people who don't raid (about 85% of the player base) Plenty of content

You must have poor memory Jaylock, Isn't this you comment in a thread about MoP sale figures ? http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...0#post18584890

You deserve another vacation from posting imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    Why are you in this discussion? The poster was responding to a point a GW2 fanboy came up with that was completely false. So your little side-note was neither warranted nor asked for.

Carry on!
    Look at his post history, i think i got like 3 infractions flaming this guy on the gw2 forum :P

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    actually you can return it and get a refund. they did it with D3 in some instances and i know of one of my friends that got a refund on MoP.
    That only applies to digital copies bought through Blizzard and not actual box copies.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    That only applies to digital copies bought through Blizzard and not actual box copies.
    oh for sure, i dont know of any retail company that takes back opened software. i was just pointing out that you can in fact get a refund

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a devoted video gamer who gives a fuck about box sales lol jesus christ talk about petty shit
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Are we STILL talking about this? This is pretty basic business stuff.

2.7 Mil for the first week is actually better than a lot of people expected, and it's a damn impressive number all things considered. I don't think a single rational person honestly expected MoP, no matter how good it was, to outsell previous expansions. It could have been the best expansion possible and it was very unlikely to outsell previous expansions. MMOs are hard games to get into later in their lifespans, so when WoW lost all those millions of subscribers last expansion it was almost impossible to bring all of them back for MoP, and there was no way that Blizzard would make up the difference in new subscribers with the hurdles that new subscribers have to jump through. As a new subscriber it doesn't really make sense to even buy MoP yet unless you're really set on being a Monk.

Financially MoP is a success so far for Blizzard, MoP also seems to be a success for players. To see whether it's a success in the long term though we'll have to wait for quarterly reports to see if people stick around and keep playing.
    Everyone prbly bought the digital editions before the release, who the hell buys the physical box for online games anymore ?? Unless your a collector.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I just realized this as I thought about how many bad ratings the game has received so far.
    Yes.

These reviews typically go :

great game, great graphics, wonderful sound, marvellous design and theres' plenty to do from the start. Lots of fun.

However, there are only 5 levels so it won't last long. Oh....and its not the hyped up FotM that is GW2.

So....7/10.

Yes....the reviews are that stupid.

Looks like MoP didn't beat any records since they haven't released any official numbers? Its looks to clearly be the case considering how low quality the game has turned out to be so far
    Low quality? Seriously? Its probably the best XPac so far. Far more to do than Cata, without the grindiness and other issues that plagued LK. Plenty to seek out and explore, with lore an integral part of the game. Some marvellous cut scenes - Battle at Jade Forest being the best cut scene since Wrathgate.

Wasnt there an unofficial sales figure of just under 900k box units?
    Yes, but it was unofficial and in accurate..

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Why, do you want me to be banned?

OT: Facts are facts. MoP sold less than any previous expansion period. Its interesting to note that most of the other expansions sold more copies the FIRST day when this took a week to sell as much.

9 million at start --> 10 million static --> 7 million at end of MoP (my prediction)
    We want you banned because you never have anything good to say about WoW and you make for a shitty atmosphere here on MMO-Champion. You consistently visit this website and literally obsess over the fact that the game isn't up to your standards anymore. Whether it is about rehased content, sales figures, subscription number, what other people rate the game as, other games being better, you come back day in and day out to find something new to complain about. No one gives 2 flying ***** about how much the game sold in the first day, week, year, or century. Some people enjoy the game and some people don't. Difference is, you feel the absolute NEED to smear your false sense of importance to this community. I have absolutely no idea what you do all day besides think about WoW and post shit on these forums. Honestly, can't you do anything more productive with your time? I can't think of a single person in their right mind to sit on a forum of something they legit can't stand anymore and spread their negativity. Why would I want to go to a Blackberry forum just to tell them that they once had a phone I liked and now their company sucks cause they don't sell as much as they used to...

I promise you, no one cares Jaylock.

Sorry mods, ban if it warrants it, or infract. This guy is a sore in the MMO-Champion community.

Amazing sig compliments of Alyajna!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Everyone prbly bought the digital editions before the release, who the hell buys boxes for online games anymore ??
    id say quite a few people, i like having the boxes on my bookshelf personally and i have just about every game ive ever bought in a box.

personally i dont like relying on my cable provider, its comcast. so if i want to play a video game but dont have it installed id much prefer having it on disk. for instance, if i wanted to play some WoW this weekend it would benefit me greatly to go ahead and download the game tonight and let it get all patched up for when i get off work tomorrow. however should my internet decide to go out (like it is so often prone to do) i wouldnt be able to get it downloaded and installed until maybe friday night or saturday morning. thus ruining my time to play due to the large download.

however since i like to have all the copies of the game in physical form i can install all of them from disk and then do a minor download of a patch on friday night or saturday and not spend the entire time downloading the whole game.

seems petty but lots of people enjoy having the physical copy, myself included

So why jaylock not banned for trolling? I see only tons of hating threads from him and moderators doing nothing. Maybe forum rules not for all?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
    So why jaylock not banned for trolling? I see only tons of hating threads from him and moderators doing nothing. Maybe forum rules not for all?
    while some might consider it trolling (and believe me, it does seem like he harbors quite a bit of hate for WoW) he really hasnt done anything wrong. he's not aggressive against anyone and for the most part is rather civil in his responses

Remember, it's only considered trolling if you get caught.

He gets a Vacation from the forums pretty often, I dare say he better start packing those bags soon

I think we can agree that the sales figures show MoP was a success, in terms of comparable computer game releases. It may or may not have met internal expectations, that much cannot be known.

What it does show is that Blizzard is able to sell millions of copies of an expansion, despite delivering something that nobody asked for. Remember, this is a storyline that had no context within the existing game. Nobody asked for the monk class or a Panda race to be added. Nobody asked for the game to be restyled in an Asian theme. Nobody asked for Pokemon and Farmville to be added. Nobody asked for raids filled with bosses we've never heard of before. Nobody asked for gear progression to be moved from dungeon grinding to daily quest grinding. And yet, this is what we got. We ate it up. Millions of copies sold. Some people will defend this expansion with their dying breath.

It makes me wonder what kind of sales figures would have been possible had Blizzard chosen to release the Burning Legion expansion instead of MoP. They sure would have had an easier time marketing that content.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Carry on!

Can you show me where you got 700k launch sales? I won't bother waiting because I know you can't.

Whether they halted it or not fact remains WoW sold more copies
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Oh look another jaylock thread, were he bashes on WoW.
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

For some reason the mods seem to consider all his threads legitimate despite his history and wait for his threads to devolve into moronic nonsense before stepping in and usually while infracting anyone daring to stand up to him. Honestly they would be better off just giving him a perm ban and be done with it. It is clear he is never going to learn.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    while some might consider it trolling (and believe me, it does seem like he harbors quite a bit of hate for WoW) he really hasnt done anything wrong. he's not aggressive against anyone and for the most part is rather civil in his responses
    No Jaylock thread is complete without someone white knighting for him. Seriously look at his post history and then come back and tell us he is totally innocent and pure.

---------- Post added 2012-11-01 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    I think we can agree that the sales figures show MoP was a success, in terms of comparable computer game releases. It may or may not have met internal expectations, that much cannot be known.

What it does show is that Blizzard is able to sell millions of copies of an expansion, despite delivering something that nobody asked for. Remember, this is a storyline that had no context within the existing game. Nobody asked for the monk class or a Panda race to be added. Nobody asked for the game to be restyled in an Asian theme. Nobody asked for Pokemon and Farmville to be added. Nobody asked for raids filled with bosses we've never heard of before. Nobody asked for gear progression to be moved from dungeon grinding to daily quest grinding. And yet, this is what we got. We ate it up. Millions of copies sold. Some people will defend this expansion with their dying breath.

It makes me wonder what kind of sales figures would have been possible had Blizzard chosen to release the Burning Legion expansion instead of MoP. They sure would have had an easier time marketing that content.
    No one is defending anything until their dying breath. Sorry this isn't TBC 2.0 but it is still a good expansion with good content and just because you personally don't like it doesn't mean many others agree with you. In fact the sales figures of Mop and the fact that 1 million players came back pretty much makes you look like a fool.