Page 1 of 2
LastLast

what happened to unholy

why is it so subpar now, it was pretty much even with frost less than 2 months ago, mop killed it, never seen a single unholy dk in any raid yet, all frost. I've tried unholy and am probably 8-10k below what i'd do in frost no matter what I try.

same with pvp, all frost, no unholy.
    Last edited by rt7; 2012-11-03 at 09:56 AM.

Can't comment on Unholy in PvP, but in PvE it's fine? Some fights prefer UH, some Frost. You falling behind 10k when you play UH is probably you doing something wrong. Chec logs, where you see that UH and Frost is fairly close to eachother.

Deleted
    That's not correct, a lot of people still play unholy, but yes frost is ahead right now and therefore more people play it. I would still say that unholy is more than able to compete with frost in a lot of fights.

Deleted
    Equal skilled player will perform better with frost than unholy in almost every fight (the only exception is Elegon on MSV, HoF is too fresh to determine yet) and the gap between UH and DW is become even larger after the simcraft fix to BT.

I hope aswell blizz make some little buff to UH because it's my favourite spec but atm, if you are a raider (hardcore or not) and if you want to progress, it's better to play frost (DW if you want to obtain the best performance).

Deleted
    Im bawsing it as Unholy so i dont know what you are talking about...
    I actually do more damage as Unholy than i do as frost, so i must be doing something wrong as Frost i guess lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Im bawsing it as Unholy so i dont know what you are talking about...
    I actually do more damage as Unholy than i do as frost, so i must be doing something wrong as Frost i guess lol.
    Probably yes. When I switched from UH to 2h frost I gained roughly 5k just from the switch (I played UH since DK came out so I was not so crap and I tried frost just few times - my secondary spec is blood - and just in WotLK so basically I had 0 experience with it).

Frost is far more "user friendly" than unholy is.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Whenever one spec is slightly ahead it becomes the only spec to be. People will tend towards the greatest rewards for their efforts.

There's nothing wrong with unholy right now, but frost is slightly better overall.

Unholy, from what I have seen is competitive, theres nothing wrong with it. But people claim it to be *cough* hard to play.......when you play frost, there is almost no rotation when compared to unholy. So, since people prefer things to be easier, they rely on frost which is pretty much a very guided, rng based dps spec.

I play unholy and I have tried frost, but i fared better on unholy - reason maybe because i really hate playing frost.....because i feel there is nothing to do other than to wait for the server scripts to remind us what to hit next.

/Unholy since 3.0

you guys say it's competitive

but again I have never seen one person using it because frost is so much better.

how has the rotation changed since cata, there was basically nothing changed in mop, apart from using soul reaper at sub 35% it's still apply diseases, user festering or scourge strike depending on runes, unloading RP on deathcoils etc.?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost is not ahead.

Raiding as unholy basically gives the same damage than frost. Problem is:

Frost takes 3 buttons, for both pvp and pve.
    Unholy takes up to 10.

Then another problem:
    Frost gives high crits, peopel like big numbers.
    Unholy ives the same damage, jsut instead of all in one big number in several smaller numbers.

HOWEVER there are problems with unholy such as:
    Our pet is a joke, it gets 2 shotted in pvp, they should at least give it as much hp as blood pet, that's about 100k more hp, that way people won't bother that much, or at least you'll be able to summon it few seconds after it dies and not 2 freaking minutes laters.

Our selfhealing is fine, but below other classes at the moment, basically below the rest,making it not "fine" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    and more fun :P *

*comment reflects the posters opinion

Ok so here's the deal since people have been a bit off in this thread...

1. Unholy is without a doubt behind Frost by a solid margin. That said, most people are playing 2H Frost at the moment because they don't know that we found out DW is actually better now and for the average player 2H Frost and Unholy will put out similar numbers because playing 2H Frost perfectly requires monitoring a swing timer to prevent eating KM procs on FS when you can OB which is something most people don't realize or understand. While Unholy may have quite a few more buttons than 2H Frost it's also pretty straight forward.

2. Top DPS right now is DW Frost, it only sims slightly ahead of 2H but because it uses the masterfrost rotation and uses KM on FS it has none of the problems that prevent people from getting the optimal performance out of 2H so in practice it will be a good deal better for most people.

All of that said, Unholy is still a viable DPS spec. It is on the lower end of the various DPS classes at the moment but it's certainly not the lowest and, unless you're in a bleeding edge progression guild, is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    and more fun :P *

*comment reflects the posters opinion
    It is more fun. More to watch for.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Dunno what you mean, im a main tank, so dps is my offspec, play unholy in quite crap gear, and pull 70k average dps? (100k+ burst with army, ghoul etc and it slowly comes down to stable 70k). Could probably pull higher if i had actualy gear and properlly focused on it.

Deleted
    Strangulate and Gnaw needs to be out of the GCD for make Unholy more avaiable for PvP. Is the only "silence" that still in the GCD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wish people would stop with the "Frost is easy" comments. Playing anything at a mediocre level isn't difficult. The difference between a bad/average DK and a good/great is enormous. Death Knights have 4-5 resources you have to manage, some of which people simply take for granted and don't use correctly or even acknowledge (time and gcd's being the main ones...yes I know this affects all classes, but way more so with DK's)

Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post

Personally I would disagree with this entirely. 2h frost sits on runes waiting for KM procs as opposed to constantly spamming like other specs. Its not exactly apparent that you should sit with a pair of runes up for the next km proc.

Also I feel like unholy is far more fun* as the cooldown stacking, especially at the beginning of a fight, is one of the best in the game with army, gargoyle, full procs, prepot and mega-timmy.

And on topic, we didn't go anywhere. We're still here, being slightly less dps but still above most others. Its not a broken spec, its just less. Maybe if I was in a guild pushing world firsts i'd respec for the marginal increase.

*Comment reflects posters opinion :P

This is the "Drama" whic made a lot of the old players drop from WOW afther WOTLK in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post
    but again I have never seen one person using it because frost is so much better.
    Must be imagining all those unholy dks on spirit kings hc.