Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I've never gotten a flu shot. I don't know if it costs money or whatever, haven't really bothered to check because I'm absolutely terrified of needles. Most people have a general dislike, but I fucking hate them.

I also haven't gotten sick in a long time. Everybody at my work got sick for a few days but me. Dunno if I just have a really strong immune system or it's because I wash my hands about 20 times or so whenever I work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_fl...#Complications

For real, it's a nasty virus, it kills people. Saying, "yeah, but you probably won't die" would lead us to not wearing seatbelts or bike helmets either. I guess that's your call, but it seems like a bad call.
    If you look at that link, it also mentions that nearly half of patients had an underlying condition. It also mentions that over a third of the deaths were from people under 16 and about 5% from people over 64. Together those groups represented over 40% of the deaths but only ~25% of the population. Another thing about that article is that it's about a strain that vaccines provided basically no protection against anyway.

As for more regular flu strains, going from data on the US, the highest death rate for the disease was approximately 1 flu death for every 6300 people in the country, with the highest deaths being in the very young and the very old. For the average young, healthy adult in their 20s and 30s, the flu simply isn't a big deal on a personal level.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-11-11 at 03:22 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    ...I rarely post here...
    Ahaha, you rarely post here with 18251 posts?

I've never really heard of anything resembling a flu shot in the Netherlands. Sure, for the more aggressive strains, but for something as common as a fever, sore throat or muscle pains?

Regardless if they exist in the Netherlands, I wouldn't take them, unless there was some deadly strain around. Ever since 2009's H1N1 influenza virus, I've been more cautious. Whenever I touched something other people touched, I wash my hands. I'm also very cautious with what I touch.

Having the flu sucks, but I think I'd hate getting shots more.
    Statix will suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Every time I get a Flu shot, I get the Flu. So the last 3 years or so, no shot, no flu, coincidence?
    Pretty much exactly the same as me, Every time I got the shot I got the flu, Not had the shot for the last 4 years not had the flu once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get your damn vaccinations, people. How quickly people forget that influenza is a very serious illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I also have to get fully vaccinated for work, but I have a personal aversion to many vaccines which use mercury-based preservatives. It says right on the pamphlet (yes, they have them where I work and yes, I've read them) that it may contain mercury. If it's bad for mercury to go through my digestive system by eating contaminated fish, why in the heck is it any better being injected directly into my bloodstream?

Edit: The science behind vaccination in general is sound, and it's a good idea to teach your immune system to fight off baddies. But cmon, find something other than mercury to preserve it with, which was invented as a preservative almost a hundred years ago.
    Last edited by GarGar; 2012-11-11 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Just get your damn vaccinations, people. How quickly people forget that influenza is a very serious illness.
    It can be serious, but in general it is not. People aren't forgetting that it's a very serious illness because they never thought that in the first place. People aren't going to think of it as serious if they and most of the people they know have gotten it a few times and lived.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It can be serious, but in general it is not. People aren't forgetting that it's a very serious illness because they never thought that in the first place. People aren't going to think of it as serious if they and most of the people they know have gotten it a few times and lived.
    More evidence of history being a critical subject of study, to my mind. It is only through vaccinations that we have eliminated or at the very least marginalised diseases like smallpox, diptheria, tetanus, polio, etc. Before vaccines these diseases were scourges of humanity.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    I also have to get fully vaccinated for work, but I have a personal aversion to many vaccines which use mercury-based preservatives. It says right on the pamphlet (yes, they have them where I work and yes, I've read them) that it may contain mercury. If it's bad for mercury to go through my digestive system by eating contaminated fish, why in the heck is it any better being injected directly into my bloodstream?

Edit: The science behind vaccination in general is sound, and it's a good idea to teach your immune system to fight off baddies. But cmon, find something other than mercury to preserve it with, which was invented as a preservative almost a hundred years ago.
    A lot of good information on Thimerosal can be found here:

www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/thimerosal/
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post

Whenever I see vaccines and autism together in a title I tend to laugh, given that the guy who started the hypothesis admitted he forged his results.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always get the flu when I get "vaccinated," so I stopped getting the shot and stopped getting sick.

Deleted
    I've never managed to bring myself to get a flu shot, I'm horribly afraid of needles. I'd probably just faint and start crying like a 5-year-old. Sigh.
    Plus, you hear so many rumors about people getting the craziest side effects after they've gotten the shot...

More evidence of history being a critical subject of study, to my mind. It is only through vaccinations that we have eliminated or at the very least marginalised diseases like smallpox, diptheria, tetanus, polio, etc. Before vaccines these diseases were scourges of humanity.
    IIRC the vaccines against those diseases are much more effective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMilim View Post
    I've never managed to bring myself to get a flu shot, I'm horribly afraid of needles. I'd probably just faint and start crying like a 5-year-old. Sigh.
    Plus, you hear so many rumors about people getting the craziest side effects after they've gotten the shot...
    It's really not that bad. Just look away, you get a little prick, and it's done.

As for the rumours, they're not worth listening to. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Thanks for your posts in this thread Spectral. It's nice to have an actual scientist who works in immunology to inform us on this topic.
    Sorry about the snippier posts by the way, this topic really gets my hackles up. Vaccination's a huge public health issues, and it drives me nuts that people think, "I Googled it!" is research.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 10:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I've never met Spectral before because I barely read this section of the forum but I am glad he exists.
    The amount of ignorance expressed by the general public is scary and I always respect someone who is an expert and has the patience to repeat himself endlessly to people who aren't actually even prepared to listen, just in case by some miracle they absorb a little bit.
    This is the first time someone's described me as patient Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I see vaccines and autism together in a title I tend to laugh, given that the guy who started the hypothesis admitted he forged his results.
    Lol no shit? I didn't know that.

I do know, however, that they stopped using thimerosal in infant and child vaccines since 2001, and that autism rates have gone up since then. Maybe the thimerosal was preventing autism?!?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sorry about the snippier posts by the way, this topic really gets my hackles up. Vaccination's a huge public health issues, and it drives me nuts that people think, "I Googled it!" is research.
    Kind of like self-diagnosis of illness on the internet; type in your symptoms and wait for the word Cancer to appear.

Well since a flu shot literally gives you the flu (a lesser version of it) I have no interest in getting the shot and feeling like crap for two weeks. I'd rather just avoid getting sick all-together, which I do just fine on my own thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol no shit? I didn't know that.

I do know, however, that they stopped using thimerosal in infant and child vaccines since 2001, and that autism rates have gone up since then. Maybe the thimerosal was preventing autism?!?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Do people really forget high school science that easily?

I don't mind getting shots but I just can't see paying $80+ so I can feel slightly sick the next day.

Would rather just get the flu and save the $80

Good info, thank you. Once they speed up the following process to the point where they can stop putting it in their pamphlets, I'll be more than happy to get my shots regularly.

"However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure."

I'm just not comfortable with with the stuff bypassing all the body's natural defenses (digestive/respiratory tract) and going straight into my bloodstream.