Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rise of the Robots was pretty terrible. Being only 14 years old, the hype and graphics won me over - I got it home, and really wanted to enjoy it...but I ended up regretting not getting Earthsiege instead

Can't really think of any more "game failures" I bought because I learned my lesson well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notreally View Post
    Daikatana.
    Saw this thread title and immediately came to post this, beaten by the first reply.

Rise of the Robots
    Now that's just the worst game of all time ever (yes worse than ET and Superman 64) but the reason I called Daikatana a failure was because imagine a game that is hyped to be the greatest FPS ready to blow Doom and the like out of the water.

This game then takes three years to come out of development with multiple delays and setbacks.

This game then turns out to be a festering pile of crap, it plays awful and it's buggy as hell.

It then bombs financially to the point it's responsible for the closing of an entire office in the development company (which also released Deus Ex that year)

That is a complete failure, marketing overhype leading to a godawful game that leads to a financial shutdown in a company.

Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens View Post
    for me it has to be Deus EX: Human Revolution, absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent, no joke.
    Woah, now while everyone's entitled to their own opinion. How the heck was DX:HR a failure? The only thing it did wrong was not release more mission content DLC because it would make a mint.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-11-20 at 03:04 AM.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    1: WoW Cataclysm
    2: WoW Mist of dailys.. sorry.. Pandaria
    3: Diablo 3
    What a hater! Take a look guys.. Dat hate! What are u even doing on this Forum? Starcraft?

Has no one mentioned Hellgate London yet?

Don't feel like combing thru the thread.

Final fantasy 14 is hands down the most awful game ever
    Diablo 3 is pretty bad too
    Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts ruined the game franchise.

for me it has to be Deus EX: Human Revolution, absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent, no joke.
    I don't usually get emotional on these kind of things but it is now obvious to me that you have horrible taste in games and no idea what you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post
    Has no one mentioned Hellgate London yet?

Don't feel like combing thru the thread.
    Several times.

That said rereading through this thread, I really don't get the love for Oblivion. Terribly rushed game with poor combat, poor character progression mechanics, linear storyline, a lack of external content to keep you occupied (whereas I've friends playing Skyrim who got so involved in all the sidequests they were nearly 40 before High Hrothgar) and immersion breaking interaction with most characters.

I appreciate that the Elder Scrolls games are designed around being modded to improve a sandbox, but every other ES game can be played in Vanilla and be enjoyable. Oblivion lacks content to do that, and there's far too much you want to change.

It's not a game failure, but I certainly find it overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Combined these games (WOW + expansions + Diablo 3) must have sold around 40 million copies on ONE platform.

Total revenue in 8 years WOW alone is around 8 billion dollars revenue (last 5 years around 1.2 billion dollars per year according to Blizzard stock holders balance sheets...)...

That's 4 times more than Avatar... 2 times more than the complete COD franchise (thank you subscriptions)...

Yeah, big failure....
    Sure you are correct but keep in mind how many players stopped playing and cancelled subs shortly after purchase of the game. It depends on your definition of failure. Personally I feel none of these games lived upto the promises they made prior to release making them a failure IMO. I should mention I am in no way just a hater I own all these games and have had a WoW sub since BC

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Yea but they took the same route SW:ToR did with fixing things. They waited untill almost everytone quit before doing so. Granted the game is easier now and you get better drops but just in the case of SW:ToR its too little too late. Once everyone leaves a game cause it sucks most never return no matter how better they make it.
    LOL D3 didn't fail. It became the second best selling PC title IN HISTORY within a week of release. Sure a lot of people dropped it/hated it/went back to D2, but that doesn't matter to Blizz or to the success of the game. It made a cool billion.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people stopped playing D3 a minute after they bought it, it wouldn't be a failure. They bought it.

Blizzard had already cashed in by that point. D3 servers could become a ghost town, but it wouldn't matter, because Blizzard cashed out months ago.

Most of posts in this thread are ridiculous. People just posting high profile games which failed to be a new Jesus of video games. You may not like the ending of ME3 (I didnt liked it as well) but ME3 was far from a failure. SWToR failed big time to be a "WoW killer" but it is still a fairly commonly played game in the MMO crowd. Diablo 3 was a letdown for many but calling it a biggest fail game ever is just pure hating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever called Mass Effect 3 a failure i will punch you in the face!

W-wait... seriously... deux ex? man, biggest post failure.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    W-wait... seriously... deux ex? man, biggest post failure.

Fans of the original seem to hate the prequel.

Honestly i loved HR, it was a great game

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Halo past the original
    Genji (for ps3)
    FF14, 11 is still a better mmo even now.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Can be either MMO(entire game or an expansion), console, just anything that was supposed to be good that you bought and it totally sucked.

1. Diablo 3
    I never played D2 becuase I had already started playing MMOs pretty hardcore back then but I heard it was a great game. So when Blizzard said I could get D3 for free with the annual pass I figured what the hell Im not quitting WoW anytime soon and did. Thank God I didnt actually pay for this steaming pile of poo. Made the mistake of picking a monk for my first class at launch and then witch doctor. Wish someone would have told me the only correct class to play at launch was Demon Huter. When I got into Inferno a week after launch it was just impossible. I remember even in a full group we couldnt even beat the 3 hammer trolls at the chapel where the final sword fragment was. The first time I tried The Butcher, again in a full group we quit after 27 wipes. Also the grouping system was terrible as you were forced to only group with other melees as all the Wiz/DHs were loling there way through Acts 3/4 and had no reason to join public games and carry melees.

The game was also impossible to play as a melee becuase of the giant Catch 22 Blizzard thought it would be cute to add. You couldnt beat act 1 unless you had gear from Acts 3/4 which you couldnt afford because you were stuck in Act 1 because you couldnt kill anything to progress without better gear. Also farming for 2months with a MF of 350 and only getting a single item worth 20 mil gold? Yeah brilliant job with the loot tables Blizzard. Thats like going to work and not getting paid. Also when I started there was like 40,000 public games and now theres only 400ish. They sold what like 15 million copies? I doubt theres even 100k people per region still playing. Blizzard definitely laughed all the way to the bank on this game.
    So many falsehoods here, I cleared inferno as a barb pre nerf.

Admittedly I initially geared completely wrong and had to change my style, but I still did it.

D3 may not be the greatest game ever, but it is far from the biggest failure.

I will only list the worst of the games that I enjoyed (kind of a dilemma there, but I can't be bothered going through the hundred+ games I have played in my lifetime)

1. ME3:

Biggest disappointment in my gaming career. Gameplay and general story was top notch, absolutely fantastic. But if you're a hardcore fan of the Mass Effect franchise, you would have to try really hard to last more than 20 minutes without ripping your hair out of your skull at all the plot holes and forgotten segments.

2. Final Fantasy 13-2:

Still a fantastic game, - gameplay wise - but the character bonding, the story telling, the gorgeous, majestic areas and cutscenes weren't there in 13-2, only 13-1. I still hold high hopes for 13-3 though.

3. SWtoR:

I love this game, the only problems it has ever had is due to horrible management. It's like the bosses are completely clueless as to what to push for next and what is the most important. EA was branded the World's Worst Company 2 years in a row for a reason.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Deleted
    TBH too many games are overhyped to the max these days and are almost always going to be a disappointment, gaming in general is too much of a $$ business now, what happened to games like Baldur's gate 2/daggerfall/FF6-9/Quake2/NWN etc. Too much fucking emphasis on multiplayer nowadays reducing the quality of most games stories/gameplay and that goddam "class balancing" shit because of the freaking multiplayer aspects. Unfortunately too much $$ is causing this and will not go away now ever since mmos became so mainstream gaming has decreased in interest. Mass effect just never appealed to me unfortunately, played the first one thought meh boring, same for the 2nd, saw the 3rd and just realised maybe its time to just leave gaming since its not like the "old" days. As much as I dont want to because there is bound to be a gem sometime that renews my faith in gaming again or else that is my false optimism coming into play.

Developers are unfortunately spending too much time on the multiplayer side of games and just becoming very sloppy with storylines now, nothing seems to have any of the "awe" moments or wtf did that really just happen so basically all games have become very dissapointing now. Reviews for most games that are considered amazing are because so many of the popular magazine/review companies are scared to make a voice and say well yea that game was actually pretty shit since they get their little editors choice symbols on the game packages too increasing sales. Personally I dont like anything PVP orientated really, I mostly play games for the stories they offer in fantasy lands or unrealistic settings where you can actively progress. I have obtained gladiator rank in 5 seasons in wow, touched grandmasters in SC2 but they just came because I was bored waiting for something to release. Oh well rant over I suppose.

Top personal 3 failures in no order because financial success means feck all to me tbh

-Skyrim - gameplay is nice storyline is dull as hell same as oblivion.
    -Diablo 3 - AH system has ruined the game, requiring too much time to get gear now or rl $$
    -Dragon Age 2 -.- fuck you ea, just fuck you - ruining a good company for your goddam $$ and a potentially good game

Dragon Age 2- Wow what shit it was compared to Origins. I did with it what I do with all games I buy on launch then hate, resell them on craigslist for $10 less than I paid for them.

TERA- I played the beta and fell in love with the game graphically(holy crap Velika is the best looking city in a game I've ever seen, I could tell so much work was put into making it). But good lord did leveling in that game make you want to punch a baby. The combat was meh for me, found it more of a gimmick imo.

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning- I personally thought the game was incredibly boring. The combat wasn't anything special, and the camera annoyed the living crap out of me.

The thread should be renamed,"Your top 3 most disappointing games" because that's all that's being discussed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    how did u come to that conclusion?
    Sales numbers? The only thing that really matters at the end of the day.

Deleted
    1. Diablo 3 - It angers me this game is allowed to bear the same name as its glorious predecessors. I got it the 15th, hit inferno the 18th, quit the 19th. No content, no replayability, no fun factor, no community, no nothing. Letdown of the decade.

2. WoW: WotLK - It was better than Cata but still crap. I'm naming it #2 before Cata because it was the beginning of the end. This xpac caused irreversible damage to everything that used to make WoW so great.

3. WoW: Cataclysm - The only thing they succeeded with in this xpac was professions/ability to play the AH. Which was good since you didn't have any reason to leave town.