Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    actually most countrys have conscription, meaning (nearly) every young man beeing a soldier for at least a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    hmm let's see according to gunpolicy.org (no idea how accurate this site is)

UK (very strict gun laws) chance to get killed by a gun is around 0.05 per 100.000 population
    USA (not so strict gun laws) chance to get killed by a gun is around 3.20 per 100.000 population

as other people have said, and what should be common sence, if you get robbed cooperate and chances of someone dying/getting hurt are slim to none, fight back and there is a good chance you get hurt or killed. Most thieves do not rob people to hurt them. (let alone the fact that jail time for a simple robbery will be a whole lot smaller then one involving deaths) And people wonder why the police shoot firts and ask questions later in the USA

I'm not against private persons owning guns, there should however be better control as to who can buy guns and people should be trained in their use and when not beeing used or transported they should be locked away safely.
    This is simply not true.

read link earlier in the thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a family member, My mothers uncle - a relative nontheless. Hé was out for dinner with his Wife for dinner one night, Their 2 boys being at home Playing w/e little boys dó when their parrents are away, found the rifle their das used for hunting. Of coués they Wanted to check it out... Needless to say their game backfired and the younger one accidently shot his brother. Regardless of this being a retarded accident - if the gun had not been there they'd both be alive today.

Due to said accident + various other Stuff happening due to the shear accesability of firearms I dó not want them in my home nor my neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by tombstoner139 View Post
    Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

source "http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html"

The state militias created by the constitution where later incorporated into the national guard. "http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/10503"
    and "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Act_of_1903"
    Its my understanding the national guard is a federally controlled part of the us military. The state and federal military where supposed to remain separate. but due to the Federal governments need to rapidly expand its military. the national guard was formed. basically the federal government adsorbed all the states military. this i beleave is an example of how a constitutional amendment can be circumvented. placing almost all military power in the hands of the federal government.
    yes you can have a state defense force composed of people in the community but they are vastly out gunned. Technology has shifted the balance of military power from the states to the federal government. also within the constitution the federal government can't grant money for the creation of a military for a period of no more then 2 years: so they do it every year. circumventing the Constitution with a legal technicality. thus we get a massive federal military i think the founding fathers would be aghast at its size.
    read the federalist papers and get back to us

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    Got a family member, My mothers uncle - a relative nontheless. Hé was out for dinner with his Wife for dinner one night, Their 2 boys being at home Playing w/e little boys dó when their parrents are away, found the rifle their das used for hunting. Of coués they Wanted to check it out... Needless to say their game backfired and the younger one accidenstrykkeri shot his brother. Regardless of this being a retarded accident - if the gun had not been there they'd both be alive today.

Due to said accident + various other Stuff happening due to the shear accesability of firearms I dó not want them in my home nor my neighbourhood.
    Or he could have locked it in a safe, like what most EU countries require. Anyone that does not secure their firearms when not in use is irresponsible.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    What kind of gun(s) do you own?
    .22 cal rifle.
    Mussel loader,
    30/30 rifle,
    16 gage shotgun,

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Do you keep them in a gun safe at all times except when carrying them?
    All my guns are locked up until I take them to a range or hunting.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got a family member, My mothers uncle - a relative nontheless. Hé was out for dinner with his Wife for dinner one night, Their 2 boys being at home Playing w/e little boys dó when their parrents are away, found the rifle their das used for hunting. Of coués they Wanted to check it out... Needless to say their game backfired and the younger one accidently shot his brother. Regardless of this being a retarded accident - if the gun had not been there they'd both be alive today.

sounds like poor responsibility on the parents' end for not a) securing their firearms properly and b) not teaching their children the proper way to handle firearms.

sorry if that sounds harsh, just the way i see it. this could have happened with a kitchen knife set and no one would care

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    .22 cal rifle.
    Mussel loader,
    30/30 rifle,
    16 gage shotgun,

All my guns are locked up until I take them to a range or hunting
    Then you are sensible and deserve to own as many firearms as you can store.

10+ Year Old Account

This is what happens when you don't educate your kids about guns and gun safety.

It must be disheartening to responsible, legitimate gun owners to see their names constantly tarnished. But bear in mind that the people tarnishing your names are not gun control advocates but other gun owners - the irresponsible, illegitimate or just downright crazy ones. Strong gun control (well targeted gun control) is in the best interests of responsible gun owners because it stops idiots, criminals and psychopaths from getting guns and ruining it for the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    There are a great deal of gun owners in this country who recognize that it is THEIR responsibility to protect their home, family, and self. It is not the responsibility of the police, and as the popular saying goes "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
    It's not, it's the responsibility of the police. This isn't the Wild West (actually, probably wasn't even true in the Wild West). However the courts may exonerate you if you use lethal force if you have a reasonable belief that you would otherwise die. That is not the same thing at all.

Just because the police aren't able to be perfect in their protection of everyone's safety doesn't mean every person is expected to take the law into their own hands. If you are forced to do so you may be forgiven, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wecome to 2012.

Now you can throw all your weapons to a fire people, you don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    sounds like poor responsibility on the parents' end for not a) securing their firearms properly and b) not teaching their children the proper way to handle firearms.

sorry if that sounds harsh, just the way i see it
    Kinda true, people always blame the gun for a child getting hurt in a gun related accident such as the one you quoted, when they should be blaming the parent for poor parenting.

Had the parents in the story locked up their guns both children would be alive, has nothing to do with if or if not the gun were in the house but ratehr if the parents were intelligent or not(as proven by the story)

They should have locked the gun up safely(You know they make cages that aren't that expensive that you can lock a rifle in, some of them even look really nice.)
    They should have also taught the children that they were not toys and dangerous and how to handle them, also shouldn't have left them loaded if they were going to leave them within a child's reach.

Call me a terrible person all you want, but honestly I have no ill feelings about guns when I hear these stories, but rather ill feelings about stupid parents that probably should have any remaining children removed from their care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    actually most countrys have conscription, meaning (nearly) every young man beeing a soldier for at least a year.
    most civilized countries abolished it long ago. Being Austrian, one of the very few first-world countries with conscription, I spent my year in the military and used it to become a medic. Others weren't so lucky and basically wasted a year getting yelled at by people calling themselves soldiers. Soldiers, who's only battle they've ever been in was keeping their gut from hiding their balls. And many didn't make it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    Sure, guns don't kill people, its people who kill people, but giving next-to-free and easy access to weapons designed specifically for mass-murder to anyone who wants them is a terrible idea.

It's easier to get a gun illegally than it is legally.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 06:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Wecome to 2012.

You expect me to chase that deer around and stab it with a knife?

This is 2012 people still hunt for food.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    you do know that when you pull the trigger once on full auto that 10 bullets don't come out at the same time all in less than a second? and like i said using the bumpfire technique you can pull the trigger as fast as it takes it to fire and chamber the next round to be fired a semi automatic rifle is just as deadly as a fully automatic rifle and its actually more accurate
    http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/milit...ical-data.html

~800 rounds / minute = ~13 rounds a second.

bumpfire only allows you to approach the fire rate of full auto it will NEVER be equal to or faster.

I'm not even going to touch the more accurate statement cause its just garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Wecome to 2012.

Last time I checked bullets still hurt

Simply put, the US has a gun culture that I (and many other people around the world) will never understand. I don't understand how people can sit there and defend it. I'm sure there are responsible gun owners, but it's the gun culture that I will never be able to wrap my head around.

My dad is a retired cop and we have 3 handguns (.38 revolver, 9mm pistol, .44 magnum) and 2 shotguns (10 gauge, 12 gauge). I know how to use all of them, I know where they're hidden at and the ammo, I know how to clean them. Really the only safety I was told is "don't point it at someone unless you mean it."

Deleted
    I think that reason the rest of the world adopts such a negative perspective on liberalization of guns in the U.S. is due to the numerous incidents of people going on killing sprees on schools, in malls, etc. and situations where one person gets so aggravated over a small confrontation, yet it still escalates to the point of murder. Such as this recent report of a man from Florida who murdered a teenager for playing music to loud.

I know how the need/desire for firearms is spreading among American citizens, but I think it is sad that such a society exists, where people won't feel safe, unless they carry or keep weapons in their home. I do not want to judge you, as I understand how the laws are shaped to enable men such as yourself to protect your family, because no one else can. I just think it is horrible that there actually is a need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    It is designed to kill and main. Animals or other people. If we would have to go out and hunt for our lunch every day like our ancestors have, I would get the reason for needing to own one. But we don't. We get our food from farms and ranches and we hunt them in our local supermarket.
    The US is not like Europe. Europe is very very dense. The US has a lot more open land, people live in VERY rural areas and those tend to be the most gun-friendly, because they have guns to hunt for food (and for sport), and guns to protect themselves and their livestock from predators. Fishing is a sport too, and we do it because we eat what we catch.

A gun is a tool.