Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    But the exact point of diet sodas is that they have close to zero impact on you calorie intake.
    Exactly. But they can trigger increased appetite and sugar cravings in some people, which is when they need to watch their calorie intake. The sodas themselves have zero impact on weight loss.

Deleted
    Hate Coke Zero, Diet cokes much nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    *rolls eyes*

Stop feeding this troll.
    What I am saying is true. This conversation might seem silly but I am right.
    gw2 is a great game

15+ Year Old Account
    So far I've lost about 15-20kg since starting my diet, a big change for me was also finding a low calory drink (as I don't drink tea/coffee etc) so I found some squash thats just 5kcal a glass, better than water, and drinking frequently helps keep you feeling full, and helps keep your motabolism up =)

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Exactly. But they can trigger increased appetite and sugar cravings in some people, which is when they need to watch their calorie intake. The sodas themselves have zero impact on weight loss.
    I haven't really noticed this, but could be true for some I guess. One thing I have noticed is that after getting used to drinking Zero, I don't really crave for the regular stuff any more at all. Way too sweet and surypy.

Any chemical in excess probably isn't good for you. Learn to appreciate the greatness of some nice icy cold water. Water is much better for for your body when exercising, but not because some diet drinks are all that horrible. If you know what I mean.

Deleted
    Just to add to the Aspartam causes cancer thingie:

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame.htm

Conclusion was not surprisingly that there is NO evidence of Aspartam causing cancer. At least not in any reasonable amount.

There has been absolutely no science behind the organic food craze. People who eat organic food are not healthier than those who don't (interestingly, studies show people who eat organic tend to be less moral than people who eat "unhealthy" foods). As for diet soda being unhealthy? Really? You have to be trolling. Are you from portland? I have only heard this ignorant crap from people who live there (like my sister).

Fit and health is not an objective thing. It is subjective. I think people who only eat organic food and who only drink water and tea are unfit. Why? Because they obsess about health to the degree of it being unhealthy. And they do not bother to understand that organic foods use pesticides that are far more lethal than inorganic foods.
    Everyone is talking my comment about "THE FITTEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD." Out of context. I literally mean the healthiest people in the entire planet. These people do not drink diet soda. They do not eat non organic.
    gw2 is a great game

Except for the calories, of which those chemicals have under 1% of sugar. And weight loss starts and ends with calories.
    Not if he is going to the gym, and doing plenty of physical exercise. The calories he'll eat are being burnt off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    No, you are making the claim that losing weight is all about calories. Which it is not.
    Well maybe I should've said that it ultimately boils down to calories, not that it's all about them. Anyone disputing that however is either trying to sell you something or doesn't know basic thermodynamics.

There has been absolutely no science behind the organic food craze.
    Correct, there is no Scientific Evidence other then the thousands of years of our history eating certain foods, and living far healthier, and longer lives then we do currently.

Certain organic food crazes are nothing by money grabbing schemes, while others have foundations from thousands of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

Hell, I doubt there even is a consensus what eating "healthy" is. I sure don't claim to know what it is, I just tell you what worked for me. Which is why these threads always turn into a war on believes. I swear food topics will soon be on the list of banneable topics like politics and religion, because that is how inflamed ppl get about their eating beliefs
    lol I SWEAR TO YOU IF YOU TOUCH THAT CHEESE BURGER I AM GOING TO CUT YOUR HAND OFF! jk some people make being healthy their number one priority. They feel like they discovered some unknown truth and want to share it with the world. These are the things me and Gweneth Paltro have in common.
    gw2 is a great game

Well maybe I should've said that it ultimately boils down to calories, not that it's all about them. Anyone disputing that however is either trying to sell you something or doesn't know basic thermodynamics.
    Calories is not the be all and end all of weight loss. While you need to tailor and monitor your calories to your new lifestyle, just cutting calories isn't the way to go. Burning off tons of fat, and not giving your body any fuel means your body will seek to store anything you eat as fat, for the future.

Excess calories, and eating plenty without exercise is the damaging part. You're far better to take in an extra 400 calories and use them as fuel for your exercise, and slowly burn the fat off over a few months, then to burn your body of all fat, go cold turkey on everything, then most likely give in and stuff yourself silly one night and ruin weeks, if not months of work.

It's actually very easy to get "hooked on" water once you realise how important and so much better it is for you than any soft drink.
    And since you're working out, adding milk somewhere in to your liquid intake would be also good (if not pure milk then just some of the milk products = cottage cheese, dairy products).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalahn View Post
    The "zero" colas do not contain aspartame. The people getting cravings for stuff when they drink "zero" colas are just so used to filling up on calories with regular soda that their bodies just say "NEED MORE FOOD!"
    This

The body naturally looks for the sugar kick as most fizzy drinks contain a lot of sugar same with fruit juices ect. so if you swap to something with none the body is expecting sugar and reacts in different ways.

As long as you stick to the meal plan you will be fine. Its always my downfall as I like my ice cream and cake So now I gym to not get fat from eating too much cake instead of losing weight.. gym some. .eat what I want .. nice balance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    Could just drink water ... or add some lemon to water.

Drinking a liter of gatorade would be more healthful I'd venture to guess, and the calorie increase is negligible. But, the eliminating the exposure to the stuff in cola that erodes your teeth is a benefit; though less so if you drink the soda very fast, or rinse your mouth/brush your teeth afterwards so the acids in the soda don't have time to work their magic. Aspartame or not, there are a lot of ingredients in sodas that you could do without.

I'm not anti-soda, I've drank more than my share in my day and still enjoy one now and then. Just giving reasons to give it up.

I believe, or at least my interpretation of the poster you quote, is that if they are serious, then they will have the discipline to give up the soda as well.

My suggestion is find something else that is enjoyable as a substitute that does have some healthful benefit ... whether a tea (sweetened or not), a sports drink, plain water (get a pur/brita pitcher), water with added lemon, pure juice drinks, etc. There are alternatives that are much better than the chemical cocktail that is soda when you are trying to move to a much more healthful lifestyle.

I believe you should do what makes you happy though, life is too short to stress about little things like a zero calorie soda
    Water with lemon is actually delicious, you can also infuse orange and lemon's peel and mint in water.
    There are some many healthier and better alternatives to soda.
    Last edited by mmoc29a7c2362f; 2013-04-11 at 01:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Calories is not the be all and end all of weight loss. While you need to tailor and monitor your calories to your new lifestyle, just cutting calories isn't the way to go. Burning off tons of fat, and not giving your body any fuel means your body will seek to store anything you eat as fat, for the future.

Excess calories, and eating plenty without exercise is the damaging part. You're far better to take in an extra 400 calories and use them as fuel for your exercise, and slowly burn the fat off over a few months, then to burn your body of all fat, go cold turkey on everything, then most likely give in and stuff yourself silly one night and ruin weeks, if not months of work.

High protein diets are good for fat loss with calorific control especially if your really pushing your body. As long as the muscles have enough protein and other usuals to repair themselves the body can use the fat to do the rest.

Again beside the point, from a pure weight loss perspective. If your body burns 500 kcal worth of fat but generates 300 kcal worth of new fat, you'll still lose 200 kcal worth of weight (note I'm not saying replacing old fat with a little less new fat is the best or even a good way to lose weight, but it's weight loss all the same).

This I can agree pretty much 100% with. I personally found losing weight much easier than I expected simply because I did it gradually and sensibly instead of going on same insane diet with huge mental stresses.

Correct, there is no Scientific Evidence other then the thousands of years of our history eating certain foods, and living far healthier, and longer lives then we do currently.

Certain organic food crazes are nothing by money grabbing schemes, while others have foundations from thousands of years ago.
    1) people did not live longer and healthier lives in the past
    2) even if they did, there would be conflating reasons for it
    3) any science that is that old is inherently suspect

---------- Post added 2013-04-11 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by beanz View Post
    Everyone is talking my comment about "THE FITTEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD." Out of context. I literally mean the healthiest people in the entire planet. These people do not drink diet soda. They do not eat non organic.
    These people are not the healthiest. They are unhealthy. Anything taken to such an extreme is unhealthy, even health.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    He said if he was serious. If he was serious, he would drink a healthier alternative.
    Coke Zero IS the healthier alternative.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015