Poll: Are you afraid of or uncomfortable with bugs?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Are you afraid of bugs?

So there I was, sitting at my desk petting my cat. He was being unusually friendly/needy and was just lying there happily pushing up against me for more neck-scratching. Suddenly, he tilted his head and looked over, so I did the same. There it was, an unidentified menace floating at me. How it got in, I can only guess (probably when I let the stupid cat back in the house). I watched for .25 seconds as it silently floated towards me, then I made a most undignified noise, along the lines of "Hlluuuooolllllulll" followed by a rapid repetition of the words "get out" as I flailed my arms about my head while running out of the room and down two flights of stairs.

Upon arming and hunting and killing it, I can only guess it was a braconid wasp, as that is what it seemed to look most like.
    http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/ima...conid-wasp.jpg
    Only thing is the entire thing was black.

Moral of the story: If you're an extremely large coward when it comes to bugs, get a cat to sit in your lap so he can notice it before it sneaks all the way up on you. I type this while still freaking out when bits of floating car hair tickle my arm or float into my peripheral vision.

Is anybody else afraid of bugs to the same degree? Anybody else have a similar story?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2013-06-26 at 07:41 AM.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We all are tough, until the cockroach starts to fly.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    Well I know what I encountered definitely wasn't a roach. The body shape is wrong.

Few things are more frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Few things are more frightening.
    There are plenty of things more frightening.

10+ Year Old Account
    so freakin creepy

with their glazed eyes and spindly legs

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    There are plenty of things more frightening.
    It was no doubt sarcasm. I think.

Actually, I'm not so sure. Smaller bugs freak me out. I can't imagine a cockroach flying at me.

Deleted
    Yes to a degree, same as you when sitting in room not noticing, (Spider coming from top while room is dark and you can only notice it because of monitor lights), things like that can get me pumped sometimes.
    But no otherwise

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever been to FL?

Bugs aren't scary until you get into a fight with a wasp and his school friend the yellow jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    It was no doubt sarcasm. I think.

Actually, I'm not so sure. Smaller bugs freak me out. I can't imagine a cockroach flying at me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrSOFyfxs

I warn you, though, you may not want to actually watch that. It's fucking terrifying.

By the way, these things kill more people a year in Japan than bears do in a decade in North America.

There's also the driver ant. Forms swarms of up to 50,000,000 ants that just destroy anything that they catch. Their jaws are so strong that people in the jungle have used them as emergency sutures, allowing the ant to bite the wound with half the jaw on each side, then breaking off the body and leaving the jaw there to hold their wound closed.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2013-06-26 at 08:00 AM.

I'm not afraid per se, I try to remove them and put em outside if at all possible.
    But if one of those motherfuckers tries to hide I'll find and destroy him.

There are certain ones I actively fear (wasps and bees, scorpions, centipedes, big spiders...basically anything that can actually hurt you and is predatory gets my heart racing when I see them) but even harmless bugs give me the creeps. They just seem so alien, the way their behavior seems more robotic than being alive. And yes, they are hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yesterday I had a bug starts crawling around my wall, it has atleast 30 legs, and it was about two-three inches long give or take, so I grabbed my sword, and stabbed the bastard into oblivion until all that was left was a crator in the wall leaking black fluid.
    A sword is too risky, you need a flamethrower for such things good sir!

Bugs that fly really slow, and wobble, those scare the shit out of me.

Deleted
    Sort if, Im afraid to TOUCH all sorts of nasty large bugs, snails, worms, wasps, ants and bees. If I can keep them from touching me, Im relatively comfortable with bugs though and only panic when they fly towards me or accidentally crawl or fall on me. Otherwise, for example behind a glass wall, it could be crawling with spiders and large nasty bugs, it wouldnt really bother me.

Deleted
    next time grab it and bite it.

Deleted
    I've seen my fair share traveling, cockroaches, scorpions and arachnids don't phase me, but damn I hate mosquitos. Luckily I've been blessed with some sort of natural camouflage scent, as famous as finnish summers are for those pesky lil' buggers, so far I haven't been bitten beyond few times, and even then I don't get any reaction whatsoever to the bite. It's just the idea of bloodsucking that abhors me, same reason why I avoid like the plague getting blood taken or anything injected into my veins. Screws up with my humanitarian side, but I couldn't donate blood anyways thanks to silly rules about getting ink.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    Bugs that fly really slow, and wobble, those scare the shit out of me.
    haha yep ! like they are drunk and could get punchy at any minute.

also this and rodents is probably one of the main reasons for ordinary ancient folk to keep cats, ofc the rich people kept them for there looks and status.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most bugs... no, not in the least.

Spiders though... One night I was outside having a smoke, when i noticed a large wolf spider sitting next to my garage door. I made the only rational decision at this point, which was exterminate it with extreme prejudice. So I give it a good stomp... squish... I move my foot back and see ten thousand baby wolf spiders start streaming away from the corpse. I'm wearing sandals too... now the next five seconds are pretty much a blur or terrified adrenaline, I'm not entirely sure I screamed like a little girl. But it's a pretty good guess I did.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys and gals should try running as a young kid into a very thick cobweb with big spider in it ^^, will scar you for life and make you freeze every time you see a spider. Spiders are the only bugs I am afraid of, the rest are just annoying and bring slight chills when one sits on the grass and something crawls towards you.