View Poll Results: We NEED new character models ASAP!

Voters
382. This poll is closed
  • Yes! I want new vanilla models immediately!

338 88.48%
  • No! We can wait a bit longer. I'd prefer 2 new races instead.

44 11.52%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for the new models, I'm only afraid of what might happen to my Forsaken.
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm floored. I do not understand people, really.

Do you not see that updating the old races models is not something new? It is a simple update of what already exists, not adding any new feature!
    Blizzard can not pretend to please all its audience only with the update of the old races models.

Blizzard should introduce new things, and in a new expansion, the minimum thing is introducing new races and/or a new class.
    At this point, it would be pathetic if Blizzard presents an expansion without new races or classes ...
    An expansion MUST give us new features, not merely updates...

Moreover, the update of the models of the old races should not be regarded as a selling point for the next expansion at all.
    It is something that we should already have had for a long time...

Furthermore, Blizzard has enough potential to give us new races, a new class and update the older models all in one expansion.
    Otherwise Blizzard vagueness would be evident and even more considering that they already have long worked with the updates of the old models.

why can't we sacrifice NPC models instead of player models for new player models?
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post
    I'm all for the new models, I'm only afraid of what might happen to my Forsaken.

Well, I am only excited to see how much better Forsaken will look! I think they can really only improve, with their rot looking like rot, and not like equally large upside-down triangles that currently represent rot.

That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Moreover, the update of the models of the old races should not be regarded as a selling point for the next expansion at all.
    If we had them for a long time then they wouldn't be really updated now would they?

There is a big difference between the Pandaren models and the Worgen/Goblin models.

Like fingers, facial animations and stuff like that.

Agreed.

I'd be content with the re-models; they're definitely needed and I fully agree that players base a lot on visuals when they pick up a game, especially MMOs.

Do you not see that updating the old races models is not something new? It is a simple update of what already exists, not adding any new feature!
    Blizzard can not pretend to please all its audience only with the update of the old races models.

Blizzard should introduce new things, and in a new expansion, the minimum thing is introducing new races and/or a new class.
    At this point, it would be pathetic if Blizzard presents an expansion without new races or classes ...

Furthermore, Blizzard has enough potential to give us new races, a new class and update the older models all in one expansion.
    Otherwise Blizzard vagueness would be evident and even more considering that they already have long worked with the updates of the old models.
    I feel like one of those Inigo Montoya "I do not think that means what you think it means" memes would be appropriate here.

Your post reeks of ignorance of the process of creating (not inserting) new player races.

The creation of a new race in today's WoW and the re-model of a single existing race are the exact same amount of work.

You seem to think they've got the resources to take on making EIGHT TO TEN brand new skeletons, models, texture sets and (where applicable) particles IN ADDITION TO ONE TO TWO brand new races that don't even have in-game reference yet (that is, the skeletons of the old races can at least inform a little on the basic shape/silhouette of the updates) - that is so much work it'd take the development time of an expansion + its life cycle to get done and a ton of other art would be completely neglected because of it.

Making a player race, especially one that'd meet the standards of the Worgen/Goblin/Pandaren is not some cake-walk and when they update the pre-Wrath races they're going to be making brand new assets - all of them. The task of "updating" the races is making new characters - they need completely new skeletons to provide the range of animations and expressions that the newer races are capable of showing and the old races have very little articulation (look at the standard "talk" animation for any pre-Cata race and then look at the Pandaren) so the skeleton re-make is required. Add on top of the skeletons the vastly superior model quality and any required particle work (effects on some races like Forsaken and the Elves, for example) and you've got a TON of stuff for your artists to do and you can't just plunk it out.

So to get to the "bottom line," it's not feasible to ask for new races AND full remakes of eight to ten original races; it's just not likely and quite frankly the game does not need new races, just updates to those that make up ~94.3% of the player characters in the game.

I hope that helps - you act like art just appears out of thin air.
    Last edited by Olrox; 2013-08-15 at 08:30 PM.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Why compromise?

They've been working on these models since Blizzcon 2011 at least. 2.5 years to make new models is easy, especially if they had 1 race done and 2 more in progress by early last year.

New models are also easy enough to make, they require fewer resources than a new race. I won't be satisfied with an excuse of "the new models meant no time to make races or a class."
    Same here. While I really want the new models, I'm expecting at least one new race or one new class as well. Either that, or they'd better give us a fourth spec for each class... I can already hear the flaming if we get none of those.

EDIT: Olrox, what about a new class? Or fourth spec? You seem to think new races are out of the question due to the model updates (which I think isn't too unreasonable of a thought), but keep in mind new races are more than just the graphics. There's the zones, the quest lines, the gear checking, and generally making certain everything syncs up and fits with old quests and such. Where would all of that development go to?
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2013-08-15 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Same here. While I really want the new models, I'm expecting at least one new race or one new class as well. Either that, or they'd better give us a fourth spec for each class... I can already hear the flaming if we get none of those.
    You seem to confuse flaming with entitled bitching. We don't need any of those 3 things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If we had them for a long time then they wouldn't be really updated now would they?

There is a big difference between the Pandaren models and the Worgen/Goblin models.

Like fingers, facial animations and stuff like that.
    And yes, I hope that the Worgen at the very least get some updates. Those poor puppies have been neglected. ;-; At least give me the option for my Alpha models back, Blizz! PLEASE!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You seem to confuse flaming with entitled bitching. We don't need any of those 3 things.
    Really, we don't? So, if an expansion included model updates, an expansion area with appropriate level-up and end game content, and maybe one or two new things, you think people would be satisfied? I think they might be justified in being a little upset in thinking this expansion is lacking something that all the others before it have had.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Really, we don't? So, if an expansion included model updates, an expansion area with appropriate level-up and end game content, and maybe one or two new things, you think people would be satisfied? I think they might be justified in being a little upset in thinking this expansion is lacking something that all the others before it have had.
    Yeah people have become entitled. Before WoW we were fine to have expansions that just gave content and not fluff now people seem to only care about the fluff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Yeah people have become entitled. Before WoW we were fine to have expansions that just gave content and not fluff now people seem to only care about the fluff.
    Yes, but a lot of the content that was given came in the form of either new races, new classes, or both. You might not see it as that, but a lot of people take a lot of enjoyment in rolling new races, rerolling characters, or starting new classes. As an altaholic, I pretty much approve wholeheartedly of any new classes or races. Do I think they're necessary? Not if something else really good is given instead, but it would have to be impressive enough to win over the attention away from the lack of new classes or races.

Id much rather have my old orc head than Garrosh's new head. Idk if its the eyes,teeth,nose, a combo of them all or what be he looks completely retarded.

Deleted
    WoW already has too many races imo. There are so many different races now that it has become hard for Blizzard to incorporate them all in the storyline. Which is exactly why you don't see much Draenei or Worgen story progression.

The new models for old races are long overdue. Hardly anyone is waiting for another race to not get much story progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm reaaaally expecting to see the new models revealed at Blizzcon.
    That's my expectation as well. Great time to unveil the new expansion and the new models that will come along with them. Just watching the in game models in the new trailer blew me away. They looked amazing, especially when you compare them to the vanilla races' models. I would be thrilled if they had new models and no new races or classes. Focus on what the game needs!

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    New races next expansion + a new class, with the possibility of new race models = a good expansion + whatever other features get added into this next expansion = an even better expansion.

Nonetheless, I don't think Blizzard would just push out new character/race models instead of doing new races for that expansion. That would probably disappoint a couple of people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDavidTwo View Post
    Let's not underestimate the laziness that Blizzard apparently seems to have... but yes, I expect Blizzcon to have the updated WoW race models.

No new raids dungeons quests - nothing because all the little girls in the game need new models to dream over? Not going to happen.

I'm just hoping that they release the models when they are finished in a patch instead of waiting until the next expansion. If they are done, and they're going to be given to everyone and not just those who buy the expansion, there's no point in holding them back.

Also, while I'm really looking forward to my orc having a better quality model than trash mobs I don't see how they could make that the selling point of an expansion without adding new races or a new class or 4th specs or something. The models are very much needed, but once the initial excitement wears away we would basically be exactly where we are now.

And I don't think we really have to compromise. They've been working on them for a long time already, and I know that new models takes a lot of work, but I think they've had enough of a head start on the new models in comparison to the new expansion to also throw in 2 new races or a new class.
    Last edited by Jhaalu; 2013-08-15 at 11:59 PM.

honestly... how good can they make it look on their old ass engine nothing looks good except water lol
    fem pandas were designed well but are still nothing great to look at

I really dont think they should update it for the simple reason that it would take time away from other stuff. I mean thats the BS reply they give to anything but i mean think about it when it comes down to it me personally i dont care what the game looks like ( as long as the armor sets look halfway decent ( which they dont)to cover up the shitty character looks *cough rifts shitty gear art) as long as the game plays good feels good and is fun.... which it plays about the same but feels weak and hasnt been fun for me since the end of LK.

"Hey tru they finally updated character models"
    "so?"
    "but... its character models...."
    "is still the same shitty game as it was when i quit playing?"....
    "yes"
    "ok then"
    Last edited by tru; 2013-08-15 at 11:52 PM.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

One of the few times I'll agree with your highly verbose posting.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Uhm, we know? Vanilla is getting updated..taking priority over everything else.
    Lol no, Blizzard has been promising new models since wotlk... still hasn't happened. They always say they are working on it... yet it always vanishes. When you call them out on it you just get the reply "WHAT NEW FEATURE WOULD YOU GIVE UP? HUH? WHICH ONE" To which I reply "LFR"