Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

What single factor most contributed to the decline of Wow PVP?

I am not an old school wow player, I didn't play wow in vanilla, although I truly wish I did. I am not a new school wow player, I didn't hop on the fun train at the start of MOP. Silvio Dante's (Hbo Soprano fame) TV ad back at the beginning of WOTLK lured me and pulled me into realm of WOW. At the time, early 2009, Wow boasted 11million subs and in the following months proceeded to knock at the door of 12million subs. Warhammer, Rift, SWTOR and GW2 couldn't do anything more than put a "slight" dent in Wow's sub base.

So why did Wow go from knocking on the front door of 12 million subs to 7 million subs in a 2 year span? Where did the game begin to lose integrity and quality and spark a very slow yet steady nosedive?

I believe Wow's decline is greatly indicative as well as reflective of the current "horrendous" state of Wow PVP. By no means do I believe PVP is the primary, let alone secondary, interest of the core and/or majority of Wow players. Nevertheless, the manner in which Blizzard addressed issues in PVP in patch 5.3 is amazingly reflective of how and why the interest, respect and quality of Wow in general is rapidly declining.

The video explains when the decline began as well as when the freefall accelerated.

Them flat out lying to us when they said they want to address the concerns of the CC arms race, burst and dispel system between WotLK and Cata and making each and every one of those things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every healer having a dispel and the amount of CC every class gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Them flat out lying to us when they said they want to address the concerns of the CC arms race, burst and dispel system between WotLK and Cata and making each and every one of those things worse.
    I agree, especially the pt about the CC. The recent changes in 5.3 highlighted how ridiculous the CC is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Great video. Like a dramatic reading

4,5 min of nonsense followed by 5 minutes of "WoW PvP is so bad it needs a new word"
    Judging by that, his problem is that he can't have PvP Power without others getting base resilience.

And we all know how two-shots in classic/BC (or 100% 0 stunlocks in LK) was the prime of PvP
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2013-08-21 at 05:26 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does he make a video for wow players and talk like everyone watching is retarded?

edit: stopped when he said he started in WotlK and said it was the worse pvp ever... what does he gauge that on? if wrath is the worse ever, for him, then his pvp experience should be going up. If wrath is the worse ever why was one of the last 3v3 tournaments held on a lvl 80 private server?

edit-edit: Digital Garbage is 2 words
    Last edited by dawawe; 2013-08-21 at 05:06 AM.

Class balance is my call.

Making resil baseline was the nail in the coffin for PvP in that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I get why the video (great btw), and the thread was created - and I commend you for it.. But as stated like 12,000,000+ times already, games over 8.5 years old.. I agree it's NOT THE SAME WOW that is was during stress test alpha back in 04.. But it's still the same damn game. Nothing lasts forever, and the subs WILL continue to drop. I don't care because I get instant ques in pvp for whatever I do, and I enjoy every bit of the game where it's at today. ALSO: I'm happy all the 360noscopeheadshotyoloswag assholes are leaving.

Cheers

Heirlooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    I believe Wow's decline is greatly indicative as well as reflective of the current "horrendous" state of Wow PVP.
    Strongly doubt it.

-MoP PVP isn't even the worst it's been in the time I've been playing, let alone ever (except BG bots maybe - bots are really out of control at the moment. That's not something Blizzard can easily fix though).
    -PVP players are a small percentage of the population anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    One of the best things they ever did. Wish they'd done it years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Female humans.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Why does he make a video for wow players and talk like everyone watching is retarded?

edit: stopped when he said he started in WotlK and said it was the worse pvp ever... what does he gauge that on? if wrath is the worse ever, for him, then his pvp experience should be going up. If wrath is the worse ever why was one of the last 3v3 tournaments held on a lvl 80 private server?

edit-edit: Digital Garbage is 2 words
    I can't dismiss the fact, I may have misrepresented myself by saying I hated WOTLK PVP. That is not the case. I meant to make a pt that since WOTLK, WOW pvp is the worst it is has even been. I can't vouch for vanilla nor can I vouch for BC, although I heard many stories of ppl being one shooted in bc pvp.

Deleted
    WoW subs was influenced by PvP decline, but it wasn't the sole factor as lots of people quit not only the PvPers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Class balance is my call.
    I agree with that as a BIG factor.

But I remember MLG and such tournaments that struggled with organization 'cos Spectator mode sucked, they always needed Blizzard supervision, balance started to suck so the entertainment value started to suffer, then tournaments started droping WoW, then Pros quit some switching to League or Dota2, so the mainstream hype was gone. I think that was a big mistake from Blizzard droping PvP and focusing on PvE more.

Then the ingame decline, PvE became the focus and PvP was a side thing to do, being a Gladiator started to mean nothing, experience in BGs made them a botting ground, world PvP dissapeared, rated BGs didn't really caught as a thing after the first few months, PvP gear and gearing became a mess, etc.(think there is a lot more in here).

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    baseline resilience is the worst thing to happen to PVP and will explain why in the next video and/or post. Neverthless, to provide a reasonable and intelligent explanation why this is the case.

- a "fearless gearless" rogue in questing greens hit my Spriest for 1800 dmg, his bleeds and poisons ticked for 300-400dmg. I had "zero" defenses up, I blew everything trying to survive a 5vs2 at mines in BFG. How is this rogue helping his team?

- I hit a disc priest in AB wearing full mal gear at the most. My lock is full ty, I pumped a chaos bolt into him w/2 dmg procs up. It didn't hit for 70k, didn't hit for 7k, it hit for 784dmg.

- and there's more - but you get the pt

Been playing since release every complaint now was said 100000000000000s of times from original to cata.
    Its old and I think alot of the new player base is having a hard time getting into arena. Its really hard to start out a noob to this game and go into a arena and not get stomped let alone go above 2k.

In my honest opinion this season wasn't really that bad sure theres some amazing classes shining but look how much stuff is viable.

Also the ptr is even better its looking to be a pretty decent season.

Blizzard droping PvP and focusing on PvE more.
    Uh what? Theres been more huge pvp changes in this xpac then any that I can remember.

Resil change.
    Battlegroup Change
    Pve gear change
    Elite Change
    Imbalances in map designs change.

This is why I hate conversations like this its like 95% nonsense.
    Last edited by Drench; 2013-08-21 at 05:47 AM.

Deleted
    All the interrupts & instant cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    One of the best things they ever did. Wish they'd done it years ago.
    Oh, yeah. The fact that someone in full LFR gear is just as effective in PvP as someone in PvP gear was a much needed addition to the game. I'm glad you like it.

Changing the dispel system was probably the worst thing they've done. Giving it a 8sec CD is pretty stupid. Other than that, I'd say giving interrupts to every single class.

Honestly the CC isn't that bad if you have a good team.

WoW is a PvE game with some PvP aspects, everything is made for PvE and then it's adapted for PvP
    The more spells and abilities they put in the game the harder is become to balance.

Personally they keep farking up PvE trying to balance PvP
    They're trying to get both to work well and in the process neither are with PvP getting the shorter end of the stick

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    baseline resilience is the worst thing to happen to PVP and will explain why in the next video and/or post. Neverthless, to provide a reasonable and intelligent explanation why this is the case.

- a "fearless gearless" rogue in questing greens hit my Spriest for 1800 dmg, his bleeds and poisons ticked for 300-400dmg. I had "zero" defenses up, I blew everything trying to survive a 5vs2 at mines in BFG. How is this rogue helping his team?

- I hit a disc priest in AB wearing full mal gear at the most. My lock is full ty, I pumped a chaos bolt into him w/2 dmg procs up. It didn't hit for 70k, didn't hit for 7k, it hit for 784dmg.

- and there's more - but you get the pt
    Before that change the rogue would have died in two hits. He can at least cc stuff now without dieing as soon as someone tab targets him. A good undergeared rogue can help a team a lot good smoke bombs, chain cc healer.etc CC matters in random bgs its not all about damage.
    Last edited by worsthitmanNa; 2013-08-21 at 05:59 AM.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.