Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

SWTOR has 10million Casual Players

According to Eric Musco at the latest Cantina meet and greet event: "over 10 million play occasionally, while over 1 million play per month."

Now, that definition is pretty loose, and we all know that number of players doesn't really matter for a game that has a free to play option, but I think we can stop saying 'lul game is ded" now. As far as I know he also did not specify if that was Western only or World wide. I am inclined to believe it is West only, because when they used to give sub numbers it was always West only.

Now show me how much those 10 million people are spending. I'll wager it boils down to pennies per player per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghillie View Post
    Now show me how much those 10 million people are spending. I'll wager it boils down to pennies per player per month.
    So? It doesn't change the fact that the game's in a pretty stable and healthy state; far from dead.

Good to know, honestly. SWTOR has lots of potential - the game has some of the best character development of any MMO, in my opinion. Game's fun.

I bet i spent more money buying this crap than any other free player.

Good to know my money was used to make the game enjoyable to ppl who don't spent.

Those numbers and way they're being 'communicated' smells of a bit misleading. I played SWTOR and the levelling experience was incredible but fell flat in end game. Gameplay was poor too from how your character reacted to commands and they refused to allow modding (huge mistake).

An other way to say it is 1 million have played at least once in the last month and 9 million have active accounts (since the other 9, being "occasional" have not played within the last month). That's another way to tell the stats...too little context in the communication.

I know the my circle of gamers is not of any great size but I am shocked to find out just how many spend $15 a month on F2P game cash shops (paying no sub fee) just cause they can spend that cash any way they want and still play. Not just spend the cash to play the game and then more for extra stuff.

I don't think SWTOR would me much different especially once you get yourself setup as a F2P player and get all the perks you need.

There is something to be said for playing a game for free and spending a little extra cash on just exactly what you want to make your game time better.

10% of ppl who tryed still play.

And it's free... And i want my serial key money back!

HERO Engine is a joke, BIOWARE is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    So? It doesn't change the fact that the game's in a pretty stable and healthy state; far from dead.
    I agree that the game is far from dead. But discounting the revenue generating power of a game that cost so much to make and continue to run isn't a good way to gauge it's health.

more than 10 million accounts? honestly I find that hard to believe
    and if by "1 million play per month" is meant that only 1 million players logged in in the last 30 days, thats very low
    Last edited by moff; 2013-11-14 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right. Because the real measure of a game's quality is now much the company running it makes.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

They are making enough to come out with more content than ever.

My god.

Some of you people and your priorities.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're doing well, good for them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    They are making enough to come out with more content than ever.

My god.

Some of you people and your priorities.
    Indeed. It always seems like some folks just have an agenda.

Anyway, happy to see that the game is doing well enough to continue further development. I, for one, never thought the game as bad as a lot of folks made it out to be. I enjoy it from time to time.

Deleted
    i have an account, i bought it when it came out, leveld 2 chars to lv 30 and left... dont know if they counted me... but i did not like the game and i dont want to be counted..! (i like star wars!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    more than 10 million accounts? honestly I find that hard to believe
    and if by "1 million play per month" is meant that only 1 million players logged in in the last 30 days, thats very low
    1 million is far from low. Rift is around the 500k mark (maybe even lower) and is very healthy. People need to stop comparing numbers to WOW. 1mill ppl paying £15 a month is still $!%mill per month.

But i guess that's too low right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad to hear the game I liked to play for some time is doing well
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    i have an account, i bought it when it came out, leveld 2 chars to lv 30 and left... dont know if they counted me... but i did not like the game and i dont want to be counted..! (i like star wars!)
    you should email Bioware stating that you don't want to be counted, I'm sure they will be very accommodating to that request

Deleted
    So, this means that SWTOR surpass WoW's total "players" for a moment??? OMG :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kornstyle View Post
    So, this means that SWTOR surpass WoW's total "players" for a moment??? OMG :P
    Well, Age of Wushu is, pretty much, dominating the Chinese market at great expense to Blizzard.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-11-14 at 09:35 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -