Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is this really worth minimum wage?

So I work night audit at a well known hotel chain. This particular hotel is old, and in bad need of renovations. Quite often, nights are uneventful, and I get paid minimum wage to watch TV most of the night.

Often, though, I deal with the shittiest type of people. Tonight, for instance, I had to call the police to remove a couple of drunk assholes who were fighting in the hallways, and throwing shit around in their room.

I'm a 29 year old female, I'm not strong, I can't fight a drunk man if he decides he wants to stop me from calling the police. Is minimum wage worth this type of behavior? Should I suck it up and just deal with it?

To me, the con's are severely outweighing the pros. I don't like seeing this side of people, but a job's a job, right? When does it become not worth it?

How much have you guys put up with for minimum wage?

10+ Year Old Account
    It becomes not worth it when you feel your safety is in jeopardy. I would suggest you leave, especially if you have a financial support system in place.

10+ Year Old Account
    No job is worth minimum wage really, especially a potentially dangerous one.

Take some classes in a field you enjoy and make proper money in a safe environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you making minimum wage as a 29 year old? If you don't have education then at least you would've had some experience. I didn't go to a University but already earn almost twice as much as my friends who has at least a bachelor, mainly because I've been working since I've been 13 years old..

Anyway, your job sounds boring. How long will you put up with watching TV all day while getting pennies for it? If I were you I'd look for a new job. Look abroad, more opportunities.
    Hi

Because I "took time off" before school which turned into not going back at all. I had a great job in retail which I left due to stress, and took this one offered to me by a friend, before I go back to school next fall. I thought it'd be better than retail, but I made a mistake.

Edit: meant to reply with quote
    Last edited by Shardik617; 2014-01-21 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik617 View Post
    great job in retail
    That just makes no sense.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodee View Post
    I wouldn't continue to put up with it. Address it with your manager/supervisor and if no change is likely to happen, start looking elsewhere before you put your two weeks in.

My worst job?

I worked at a gas station for nearly a year, fortunately we didn't sell alcohol there so we did get to eliminate some of the potential issues. I had to deal with people that would literally yell at me because of the price of gasoline and cigarettes, as if I personally changed them. I have had to stop people mid rant and tell them to leave the store if they can't be civil. I even had to call the police on people that came in, twice.

The first was a lady who wanted to continue to argue about the price of her cigarettes as if it were a bartering process, and then proceeding to say something to the affect of "this is horseshit, the prices have changed the last two times I've come in, I won't fucking stand for it". I told her she didn't have to stand for it anymore, because I was kicking her out. She didn't believe me and chose to stand there crossing her arms like a child, holding up a line of customers behind her and attempting to get them on her side (failed to do so) and make me look like the bad guy.

The second was a guy that came in and said "open up the pumps for me, I'll start her up and come back in". I told him that we don't do that and that he would have to pay beforehand. He replied that "that was bullshit, the other attendant always does it for me (which caused some drama later)" and that he didn't know how much gas he was going to pump. He proceeded to get in my face and puff up his chest and when I didn't back down he had the balls to push me away from him, which is funny considering he was the one that got in my face.

Honestly, if you're good at customer service and depending on your area - I would look for a job working somewhere that you can do corporate or local security. It doesn't require you to be hands-on or armed, you are literally paid to make sure nothing suspicious is going on in the area you are and to escalate properly if there is. Also, it pays more than minimum wage.
    Ugh, sounds like a typical gas station job. I've heard a few horror stories from gas stations, and I can say with certainty you've got more metaphorical balls than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Lol it was at an EB games, as Assistant Manager. I left because the DM was a giant douche and I didn't agree with forcing people to buy warranties.

Deleted
    Because I "took time off" before school which turned into not going back at all. I had a great job in retail which I left due to stress, and took this one offered to me by a friend, before I go back to school next fall. I thought it'd be better than retail, but I made a mistake.
    Any job that required working around customers and/or serving other humans is an stressfull and a horrible job. Because there will be always a group of douchebags that kill your happyness. So unless you can get a job were you do not have to deal with customers you probaly better of sucking it up. Hopping jobs never increases your income.

There is a reason I don't work or have never worked in retail jobs, in pretty much any of those stories I would of laid someone out. I'm just not the type that puts up with BS, which is something you've got to be able to handle if you work in retail or a service oriented job.

My advice, find something else. Frankly no amount of money is worth putting up with other peoples BS imo, but I also understand sometimes you gotta do what yah gotta do.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a job working with computers and work from home. People are assholes and will treat you like crap for w/e reason.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Really what we can say?

First of all, Minimum wages are to low for a 29 year old. But truth be told, the econemy is bad, so can be hard to just Go out and find a much better job, unless you ofc have a education, if so why have you not Quit your old job and found a better one. But if you do not have a education it makes the situation more diffecult. No all in all it is not worth it, if you can get hurt, but at the same time, If you no not have more options then that is what you have to do. My life motto is " you gotta do what you gotta do" The pay may sucks, some days with the drunks may also sucks, but if it pays the rent and food, and the alternative is homeless i think you know you still have to do it. Or you know, move back home to your parrens

I would like to add, people may take this wrong, but after some consideration, i take offense to some degree the entire "I'm a 29 year old female" hear what, i wrote before what i think, but i feel like i should add this. Really, so because you are a woman you can not stand up to them? I seen female Doormen, i have female friends who are strong and learn selfdefense, The entire " you are not strong" so what, there are plenty of men who are weak as fuck. If the entire problem is you being weak, what about going to the god damn gym, or learn some self defense. Maby the biggest problem is your attuide, Woman can be strong, it is just you who use the excuse of being one, for not working out, a 29 year old fat or super skinny man would also have no chance aginst them either, Quit because the pay sucks, but Other Woman would be able to do it.
    Last edited by mmoc679fbf879f; 2014-01-21 at 03:29 PM.

You should carry a weapon or some mace.

Just apply to other places and tough it out there. I don't know your financial situation and how much you need the money to determine this for you.

Deleted
    Go back to college to become an RN, work part-time/ take out loans to cover it and your living expenses; Fin.

Nurses in the U.S within certain areas are desperately needed, nurses in oil&gas fields get paid top dollar also, average wage for one is around 65k outside the gas&oil fields?

Otherwise enjoy working in shit low-end jobs, no other way to phrase it i'm afraid.

You either go to school and learn, or start up a business, or else you wallow in jobs like the one you described.

Or take Blue's advice and carry mace...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Explain please?
    You know..... Not everyone can be a rocket scientist, a lawyer, and what not..... In the fact of the matter the absolute majority of all jobs existing in ANY society are blue collar jobs.. Obsession with higher education is just that, an obsession, and with that a silly one.
    With that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with working in retail at all. Or any other field you may frown upon.
    You should be happy though that others think differently, otherwise you/we would be fucked. There wouldn't be a lot of things you/we may take for granted, because people are willing to do the work so you/we have them... You/anyone should be thankful and show these people more respect...

OT:
    Shardik617, three words....
    GET OUTTA THERE!

It's not worth it at all, especially not for a woman... You are more in danger than a man in such position..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    be glad you are getting a wage, even min wage lucky to be getting these days.

This is coming from someone who has worked since14yrs old, has 2 degrees and still in this *progressive* country I live in would give left nut to have a decent job

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post

This is coming from someone who has worked since14yrs old, has 2 degrees and still in this *progressive* country I live in would give left nut to have a decent job
    No point in having a min wage job if you end up in the hospital because of some jerks.

Theres certain jobs a young gal probably shouldn't do, and midnight shiftf that deal with the public are one of them unless you're carrying something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post

:/

You're overqualified for min wage jobs, and that makes employers nervous; Who would they realistically take?

Timmy the little shit, 19 and with more acne than a tomato pizza; Or you, a person with two degrees wanting to jump ship asap.

It sucks you're in the situation that you are, but have you explored leaving your home state to pursue work?

Deleted
    Minimum wage for night work sucks man, when I started on my job we got paid double minimum wage simply for it being a night job.

So I work night audit at a well known hotel chain. This particular hotel is old, and in bad need of renovations. Quite often, nights are uneventful, and I get paid minimum wage to watch TV most of the night.

Often, though, I deal with the shittiest type of people. Tonight, for instance, I had to call the police to remove a couple of drunk assholes who were fighting in the hallways, and throwing shit around in their room.

I'm a 29 year old female, I'm not strong, I can't fight a drunk man if he decides he wants to stop me from calling the police. Is minimum wage worth this type of behavior? Should I suck it up and just deal with it?

To me, the con's are severely outweighing the pros. I don't like seeing this side of people, but a job's a job, right? When does it become not worth it?

How much have you guys put up with for minimum wage?
    My GF used to have the same job. Night shift at a motel same type of people. She got paid 2 dollars above minimum wage at the time. The only reason she kept the job was because she could rent rooms for short stays after someone checked out of the room and keep the money, otherwise it isn't worth the money. The people who frequent those places are hookers drug addicts pimps people looking for hookers etc. She had to call the cops like once a night sometimes more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    :/

You're overqualified for min wage jobs, and that makes employers nervous; Who would they realistically take?

Timmy the little shit, 19 and with more acne than a tomato pizza; Or you, a person with two degrees wanting to jump ship asap.

It sucks you're in the situation that you are, but have you explored leaving your home state to pursue work?
    Live in uk, simply cannot afford to move or I would be out of here asap. Everything where I live is offering min wage or 20pence above. Hell where I work even a customer service manager with diploma was offered 35pence above min wage to entice him in.(you needed 5yrs + exp as managerial lvl) It just sucks and why Op should find a way to work around the problems as a wage is like gold dust these days

Also I am 29