Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Solo players are majority in MMOs...

..as said by Wildstar dev: "And solo players are tragically underserved in most MMOs – something like 65% of players tend to play largely solo (Massively Single-player, as it were)."
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/ne...f_the_game.php

How do you feel about more people tend to play solo in MMO? Tbh, I dont know where he get that info from, but surely not out of the blue sky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    ..as said by Wildstar dev: "And solo players are tragically underserved in most MMOs – something like 65% of players tend to play largely solo (Massively Single-player, as it were)."
    Coming from former WoW vanilla devs, this is fantastically hilarious. Maybe the gained some brains since?.. nah can't be XDD

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    How do you feel about more people tend to play solo in MMO?
    Most people don't have hours to spend to find a group, so they play solo. Heck, even in EvE online, which is about as complicated as an MMO can be, most people are running solo missions.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Well if you want to spin it, most people play solo at some points (yes it's meeting an agenda and not honest, but correct)

I'm predominantly a solo player. I prefer to do everything I can solo in WoW, but I know I'm a minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I think it's the same in WoW. Go solo, group to finish something via LFD / LFR / BG / soon arenas via Group Finder similarly to oQ, get that something done, then solo more.

That's objective, most players prefer it that way.

Solo means less responsibility and less stress. Start doing something, then decide that you don't want to do it mid-way and stop or even log off. Whenever you like. It's freedom.

MMO, means that people are on your map, they feed the commerce in game, and they join to finish harder challenges. OF COURSE 65% of the time, people will pursue the development they chose for THEIR CHARACTERS, which is largely different of the development of the other characters around in the map.

WoW had major steps on this direction, and is ALMOST there, and I think Defiance got the GAMEPLAY right, although their SOCIAL part is lacking.

The sheer number of quests, achievements, farming, rares etc, it's all solo stuff.

Not surprising really, plus, most people seem to prefer doing things solo for the majority of the time, then group for raids etc.

I know I personally would rather farm something on my own, than with someone else, even if it means it will be faster/easier (Talking about with randoms here) because I just want to chill out, cba talking to some random guy the whole time lol, friends is different, but even then sometimes you want to do something yourself.

Who wants to be in a group all the time doing what other people want?

If i log for an hour or two i want to get soemthing done.

Not sitting in Org dancing and setting off fireworks

99% of my time in game is spent soloing. I would love to do more group stuff but my time is pretty tight just doing the stuff I want to do solo. Usually on the weekends I have time to do some flex or LFR or an older raid like DS/FL...but M-F, just not up to group stuff with such a tight schedule IRL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha. From a Wild Star dev I wouldn't believe anything. They are going to be at the head of one of the biggest flops in MMO history.
    Aye mate

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    It doesn't say a whole lot about MMO's or Wildstar as such. It does, however, say A LOT about how many people out there who just want a decent singleplayer game, instead of half-assed multiplayer games or MMO's.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

While many seem to think this is laughable, I personally see this as a major epidemic and issue on the horizon. MMO's are meant to be social games and if players are playing largely solo then something is wrong. I don't REALLY want to get into the topic of "LFD/LFR" but Blizzard as on the forefront of making a game, that is suppose to be community orientated into more of a single player experience. The game has facilitated the community to the point that everything is automated and gauged by numbers.

"Want to do a raid? We have LFR and Flex for you, with our own version of oQueue coming in WoD! What, you want to do a real raid? Well, I know that finding good players is hard so we took the idea of GearScore and brought in visible Item Level! Now you can be rated on your gear!"

Its a bit of an over dramatization but really its closer to the truth than it should be. The game now facilitates so much automation that you can not only get to max level without ever speaking to another player but also get a full set of epic gear without any social interaction. The reason to actually go out and socialize is drifting further and further away thanks to "Convenience". When does it get to a point where convenience goes too far though and becomes damaging to an "MMO", a genre that is suppose to be social focused.

Yes, ease of access and convenience are both nice but there is a point at which it goes too far and becomes detrimental to the gaming experience overall. I think that Blizzard is starting to see that with some changes to LFD in WoD but have we passed the point of no return yet? Are MMO's doomed to favor convenience for the solo player over social interaction forever now? WoW leads by example and more and more MMO's are becoming less willing to break that example in fear of alienating possible players. Is this good or is this bad? Are heavily social required MMO's now a Niche that no one will invest in, even though they were a large niche back in the day of UO and EQ to begin with.

I know this is about a Wildstar originated comment, but really... I feel that MMO's becoming popular have had a bad impact on the ideology of an MMO overall and are no longer for people who like mmo's but instead they are a big player grab that is focused solely on money instead of social interaction.
    #GarroshDidNothingWrong #TeamLightboundGarrosh
    #EXMVP

15+ Year Old Account
    It's expected. Nothing surprising in that statement, although it's counter intuitive when you consider the professed nature of MMO games. It comes down to the fact that MMOs are built to be accessible by old hardware and are some of the cheapest entertainment around. Pair that with the evolving and ever adapting design of current and future MMO games that focus on extreme accessibility to the lowest common denominator and it's really no surprise.

I'm really curious how wildstar will do 6 months in because i understand that they want the old vanilla WoW audience. They're still around i guess, but 10 years older, so in their early 30's or approaching 40.

I don't think this is a fair assessment since grinding and questing are always large parts of any MMO... Which is simply more convenient to do by yourself. The actual 'multiplayer' parts (dungeons, raids, PvP) are simply smaller but more iconic. Which means that those parts are the main theme of it, but the main bulk is solo content.

Quality-speaking, the main part of the game is NOT solo.
    Quantity-speaking, MOST of the game content as experienced by people is solo play.

So it's simply not a fair assessment to state that 'the majority is solo players.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Video Games Discussion

15+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy soloing too. Whatever can be done alone, I do it. But I love grouping up too (Usually, lol).

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Soloing means drastically less stress, attachment and responsibility so i can see why people would prefer it... If i want to talk to other people i tend to go outside sw/ goldshire or talk in guild chat, being in close proximity to other people while i kill things isn't that social for me >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BassZ1890 View Post
    While many seem to think this is laughable, I personally see this as a major epidemic and issue on the horizon. MMO's are meant to be social games
    Except the games aren't the problem. The people playing them are.

Why would on earth would people want to 'socialize' with a bunch of elitist/trolling/rude dumbasses who tear people down for asking the same questions they once asked themselves, who spend more time whining about what other players can do and see than they do running the content they're crying over, etc etc? Look no further than these forums for pristine examples of the stupidity and toxicity running rampant in this game's 'community' - such as the thread in which people boast that they've kicked people from raids and dungeons for having the transmog helms. People like that deserved to be banned, permanently.

Know what's sad? I've met players in WoW who were blown away by my being nice to them/answering their questions. Like, legitimately staggered and unsure how to react. Because for 20, 30, 40 levels these people were trashed and insulted and kicked from groups for no other reason than not knowing the same shit we once didn't know ourselves.

It makes me sick and if it wasn't for the amazing guild and friends that I have, I'd probably have left the game myself on account of it.

And some of you wonder why people wish to 'solo' games like WoW.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to strictly play solo, stick w/ single player games and stop making our MMOs shitty.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    If you want to strictly play solo, stick w/ single player games and stop making our MMOs shitty.
    Not a lot of good singleplayer games are even being made anymore. Most games are either half-assed singleplayer games with a half-assed multiplayer aspect (which hurt the singleplayer part) or MMO's because companies still think that "Make an MMO = Roll around in cash", which is stupidly hilarious.

Also, the only thing shitty around here, is your attitude honestly. Nothing is that simple.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad they understand this, and I hope they are serious about developing engaging content for the player that doesn't want to deal with a group of random strangers who may or may not be a massive group of core slugs. Totally agree with Mirishka on the majority of players.

I like to log on, play for maybe 30 minutes to an hour, and then move on to something else. It's really only about 2-3 times a year that I feel like doing a marathon session of 3-4 hours on any game.