Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    I think its because most people use elv or some variation of it :P
    And what a shame it is. I can spot an ELVUI a mile away no matter how much they change it - they all end up looking the same. Its so rare to come across a truly unique UI these days but as long as people like Kait and Birgwow carry on being innovative there's hope yet.

DarkVanir can you please answer my post somewhere up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    And what a shame it is. I can spot an ELVUI a mile away no matter how much they change it - they all end up looking the same. Its so rare to come across a truly unique UI these days but as long as people like Kait and Birgwow carry on being innovative there's hope yet.
    Judgementz had a nice Elv setup a while back that I made a copy of. Did you see it?
    I do agree though, Elv edits are easy to spot, thankfully people like Kait and Birgwow make these mind blowing UI's to keep us all mesmerized, cant forget about Pixil too!
    Last edited by Drayarr; 2014-02-28 at 11:10 AM.

**Warning 18+**

League of Angels and Dead or Alive Xtreme. This is still a WIP. I am just trying to fish some more ideas from you guys.

Please rate and comment. Thank you. (still cant post full link )

postimg.org/image/uqnk00wwn/full/

edit: this was just a screen shot of a random flex. I mainly raid 5/10 man.
    Last edited by skarie; 2014-02-28 at 11:16 AM.

Deleted
    Skarie why are your unitframes all undressed girls, that looks a bit weird to me.

I mean why portrait that badass Orc Blood-Deathknight as a slutty dressed girl? Just seems a bit funny is all, I like the idea though and to each his/her own ^^

I applaud your ability to focus on a fight itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    Skarie why are your unitframes all undressed girls, that looks a bit weird to me.

I mean why portrait that badass Orc Blood-Deathknight as a slutty dressed girl? Just seems a bit funny is all, I like the idea though and to each his/her own ^^
    I am trying to implement a system where you can use your own "favorite" images instead of wow default graphics. (guess i should have said that in the OP ).

check it out...another of my layout. This one is more PG postimg.org/image/wr5y6vrbn/full/.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kardacz View Post
    I applaud your ability to focus on a fight itself.
    huh ? what did you say? .. oh! focus.. of course i am focused. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zagri View Post
    DarkVanir can you please answer my post somewhere up here?
    Yes, will upload it when it's finished.

When you have been doing UIs since vanilla and realize that you have a choice of "this addon author is really good at updating the 1 addon you use the day it breaks" and "these multiple addon authors could take weeks to update a simple addon that breaks, or not update it at all and force you to re-do a part of your UI with something else less customizable" the option is simple.

I'm not 100% a fan of Elv, but I'm a fan of being able to actually play my game on patch days. Short of really creative setups (like a Kait UI) you can do virtually anything anyone would normally want. You can even recreate Birgwow's UI in Elv. You can make it as minimalistic as you want, or as cluttered as you want. Beyond a couple of short comings (cast bars, buffs/debuffs) I can't think of anything ElvUI doesn't do that I wouldn't want it to do in a UI overhaul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedlogic View Post
    When you have been doing UIs since vanilla and realize that you have a choice of "this addon author is really good at updating the 1 addon you use the day it breaks" and "these multiple addon authors could take weeks to update a simple addon that breaks, or not update it at all and force you to re-do a part of your UI with something else less customizable" the option is simple.

I'm not 100% a fan of Elv, but I'm a fan of being able to actually play my game on patch days. Short of really creative setups (like a Kait UI) you can do virtually anything anyone would normally want. You can even recreate Birgwow's UI in Elv. You can make it as minimalistic as you want, or as cluttered as you want. Beyond a couple of short comings (cast bars, buffs/debuffs) I can't think of anything ElvUI doesn't do that I wouldn't want it to do in a UI overhaul.
    I don't know where all this elvui "hate" comes from, it's a really great UI package for easy customization, alot of plugins, and the guys over at tukui.org are all really helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Otzsx View Post
    I don't know where all this elvui "hate" comes from, it's a really great UI package for easy customization, alot of plugins, and the guys over at tukui.org are all really helpful too.
    The hate comes from the over-reliance some people have on it.
    It shouldn't be offered as much as it has been as a "solution" to just about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by skarie View Post
    This is still a WIP. I am just trying to fish some more ideas from you guys.
    Well I for one was really drawn to the mirrored reflection in your original one. I also like the more compact rectangles as opposed to those really large ones.

Seeing it in combat seems to be the next step!

I see plenty of people who claim there is a lot of hate for ElvUI, but rarely see any of the actual "hate"! I dont hate it (much), but what I do hate is people claiming they have a unique custom UI built and designed from scratch, when all they have done is move a few things around in ElvUI. I spend hours designing, changing and implementing my UI and I dont claim to be particularly good at it, but I do take it seriously and love doing it and whilst I respect ElvUI and all it can do, its not the answer to everyone problems and I dont really like the way it looks which cant really be changed no matter how much you amend its settings - call me snobby but I could never use it as it would feel like cheating, like claiming I am an artist when all I have done is use tracing paper over someone elses work (I realise the irony of this statement as I myself am using addons made by other people!)

Yes, its handy that patch days are easier on the UI using ElvUI, but updating and evolving your UI based on new addons and updates is all part of the fun. ElvUI is perfect for people who just want a new UI with a few options for customisation, but Im willing to guess that people like me like the feeling that my UI is unique and designed from the bottom up myself.
    Last edited by Snichy; 2014-02-28 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    but Im willing to guess that people like me like the feeling that my UI is unique and designed from the bottom up myself.
    This. Absolutely. Yet I choose to play around with ElvUI and build my ideas on top of that interface, since it's much easier.

I see plenty of people who claim there is a lot of hate for ElvUI, but rarely see any of the actual "hate"! I dont hate it (much), but what I do hate is people claiming they have a unique custom UI built and designed from scratch, when all they have done is move a few things around in ElvUI. I spend hours designing, changing and implementing my UI and I dont claim to be particularly good at it, but I do take it seriously and love doing it and whilst I respect ElvUI and all it can do, its not the answer to everyone problems and I dont really like the way it looks which cant really be changed no matter how much you amend its settings - call me snobby but I could never use it as it would feel like cheating, like claiming I am an artist when all I have done is use tracing paper over someone elses work (I realise the irony of this statement as I myself am using addons made by other people!)

Yes, its handy that patch days are easier on the UI using ElvUI, but updating and evolving your UI based on new addons and updates is all part of the fun. ElvUI is perfect for people who just want a new UI with a few options for customisation, but Im willing to guess that people like me like the feeling that my UI is unique and designed from the bottom up myself.
    I remember people posting "My New UI, totally built by myself" - click the screenshot and it was SpartanUI.
    Seen people do the same with Elv.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate and understand the effort some people put into their UI's, I just dont have the knowledge to build one from scratch. As in writing code for the addons.

Seeing what Birg/Pixil/Kaytemoss have done is just awesome. I am glad people still take a lot of time over their ui's

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    I remember people posting "My New UI, totally built by myself" - click the screenshot and it was SpartanUI.
    Seen people do the same with Elv.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate and understand the effort some people put into their UI's, I just dont have the knowledge to build one from scratch. As in writing code for the addons.

Seeing what Birg/Pixil/Kaytemoss have done is just awesome. I am glad people still take a lot of time over their ui's
    I agree about some completely special ui's like birgs been posting, but for the most part, I don't see a difference in changing ingame options for example: ElvUI's bar settings, or batender's settings. ElvUI's UnitFrames, or Shadowed Unit Frames settings.

ofc I too find it silly if some people just posting stock ElvUI profile and call it their profile.

(I think) this thread is about posting the UI you are USING, not completely coded from scratch. wheter ur using ElvUI, or 10 independent addons that accomplish the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromus View Post
    No comments or suggestions for improvement on my UI from a few pages back ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromus View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Your 100% right. I typically download my addons and just put them somewhere, and that is it.

So in terms of looks, fonts, styles, I literally dont pay attention, but I want to start doing it. I've put my UI up for PURE critique, advice and recommendations. I'd love to have something snazzy. What's there is mostly functional, I raid so certain things I need to have there.

If new addons have come along that have a smaller footprint then my current ones, excellent. I'll check out Raven and Tellmewhen

What would you suggest in terms of making things away from default, do these addons even have much customisation with appearance?

I main a WArlock btw, but typically streamline my UI across all characters
    Most of the ones you have do have a fair amount of customization, yes.

Your skada, for example: you can change the background color, texture and opacity - or remove it completely. You can keep the bars or remove them and go with a text-based look. You can have class colored text or not. You can change the height of the bars, you can change the font, you can remove elements from the title bar, etc.

I'm not sure what unit frames you're using - pitbull? stuf? shadowed? - but they provide a ton of options for customization. Especially stuf - that's what I use. Here are some examples of how much you can customize and make something more visually appealing to you:

Those are just a couple old shots of various unit frames, all using stuf.

I love the game but I think I love making UIs even more happy designing!

http://a.pomf.se/naahlp.jpg

I've pretty much abandoned pixel fonts since they do not work especially well at this resolution, they're just too small for comfort. Helvetica World has a nice feel to it.
    It needs a hell a lot of refinement & I still haven't started on the weakauras. The pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Xintic View Post

Pretty much done for now, I will probably notice some things on Sunday raid, but I will take it as it comes.
    I really like the layout. Is it just ElvUI? Also, what are you using for your raid cooldowns/debuffs (the one with skull banner and then the larger one on the far left)?

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    I really like the layout. Is it just ElvUI? Also, what are you using for your raid cooldowns/debuffs (the one with skull banner and then the larger one on the far left)?

Thanks for sharing!
    Looks like TellMeWhen.