Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Angry Rant about current MMO games . Couple things.

Sorry about my bad english but here we go.

First of all. you "bu..bu..but i dont have time to play the game" type ppl. stop whining about the games if they are too hard or take too much of your time...I have an answer of that. DONT_PLAY_THE_FUCKING_GAME_THEN. There are soooo many games that dont require that much of your time.
    I dont have that much time too. But i dont QQ about it. I love the adventure feeling that games used to have and when they were hard..but thats gone too.

Quest Tracker: Back in the days ppl needed to figure out by reading the Qtext or asking some1 where to do the quests. Now days you just follow arrow or check in the map where to go. The game basicly hold your hands and lead the way trough the game. I think this is stupid and boring. Why take away one social aspect and the adventure of questing and make it EASY?

LFG/LFR:
    1. This is the cancer of mmo. This _thing_ takes so much out of the game. Again... social aspect: I tought mmo games are social but no...not now days. The crossrealm shit. Once the instance is done you will never see those guys again.
    Adventure: ???...Remember when you needed to run and things happened when you were heading to the dungeon? Imo this is one part of the World PVP. But NOPE not anymore. just teleport us instantly in the dungeons so we dont need to do shit.

2. Ppl who are not putting effort or time into the game should NOT see the same content than the guys who do that.

Like wtf? Are the mmo games now just autopilot games where ppl yell "RUSH TO THE END" "faaaast i want this now without talking to anyone in the game cause i pay for this".
    Where are the old days social experiences and that adventure feeling? its all gone.

Game makers pls...stop following the current META of mmo games.

I have spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    Oh well here goes another generic clueless drone lost in sentiment of past...

I have only one objection to your rant:
    LFG/LFR: While it does not support social aspect of the game, it is convinient, because looking for hours for certain member to your group, and then heading back to some city to look for someone again because "that one" left in middle of your dungeon run, is surely awesome thing.

Anyway, while i agree with your first part, where people whining about something taking too long, or just simply does not recieving their rewards so quickly as they are used from WoW.
    I am seeing this in Wildstar lately.. Many people crying about leveling is taking too long, money rewards are not high enough with the fact mount is purchasable on level 15 for 10 gold, wich you earn with purely questing and vendoring things on about level 17 without spending penny to anything else.

The third part is certainly partially true, people are somehow used to get everything they think they "deserve" for their "effort".

Deleted
    But ppl wont leave so easily the dungeon when they needed to put effort finding one?
    now its just "HAH...how can we wipe this easy dungeon (like they all are now)..Fuck this group im out of here"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepra View Post
    But ppl wont leave so easily the dungeon when they needed to put effort finding one?
    now its just "HAH...how can we wipe this easy dungeon (like they all are now)..Fuck this group im out of here"
    They would easily leave still.. I look back at WC runs, druids/rogues quitting due to not getting that set from the dungeon... one poor member to whisper a guildie to ask on trade, then invite and resummon...

.... before LFG, I'll give you the two dungeons where people quit the easiest in. BRD and Sunken Temple (old one).

We all have a Little rant about something, of course wish to share it, but some Things just ain't easily solved sadly.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    The 'new' WoW player, doesn't understand what they are missing.

And, they don't even kind of understand why.

A fun and challenging game = Elitists win, to them. Making time, learning my class/role and having some empathy for others? What does that even mean???

Nope, games that tried differently failed. They know the playerbase is nothing like you, so they will never develop another mmo for a player like you again.

If you want your own mmo that has that, create your own or something. Otherwise blame the mass majority, because they will always drown out your crying.
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Nope, games that tried differently failed. They know the playerbase is nothing like you, so they will never develop another mmo for a player like you again.
    Actually, I know one game that went to approx 5-5.5m western subs doing just what you say failed. Its pretty obscure so you may not have heard of it.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Actually, I know one game that went to approx 5-5.5m western subs doing just what you say failed. Its pretty obscure so you may not have heard of it.
    I know what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    The 'new' WoW player, doesn't understand what they are missing.

And, they don't even kind of understand why.

A fun and challenging game = Elitists win, to them. Making time, learning my class/role and having some empathy for others? What does that even mean???
    To me the elitists are the ones who close off avenues for others or don't help others..A challenge is fun but a community that even prevents people from learning is not.

That said i too miss the old community feel where help and other things were there. As well as a good social backing to MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what it is.
    Well, don't let the secret out! I want it to stay undiscovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkwolfgang View Post
    Such secrecy. Spill the beans gurl! :P
    First rule of secret mmo club is not talking about secret mmo.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2014-04-03 at 12:37 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Such secrecy. Spill the beans gurl! :P

On topic, there are two solutions:

First:
    1. Create your own gaming company / game concept;
    2. About Development cost:
    2a. Pay it yourself;
    2b. Find investors who are interested in putting their money in a game that will appeal to a much smaller playerbase on current market;
    3. Be happy!

Second:
    1. Give well written and good feedback on how there is a demand for such playstyle, but making sure to not ignore the necessity of a company to attract different kinds of players. It's business.
    Last edited by Milkyz; 2014-04-03 at 12:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkwolfgang View Post

On topic, there are two solutions:

First:
    1. Create your own gaming company / game concept;
    2. About Development cost:
    2a. Pay it yourself;
    2b. Find investors who are interested in putting their money in a game that will appeal to a much smaller playerbase on current market;
    3. Be happy!

Second:
    1. Give well written and good feedback on how there is a demand for such playstyle, but making sure to not ignore the necessity of a company to attract different kinds of players. It's business.
    development costs have reached the point where its VC or large corporate structures doing the funding. they aren't going to take risks, and to be honest I am not at all sure they are wrong today, vs. 10 years ago. Wow really has changed expectations in the genre. also, wow (like ultima online) came in the door with a built-in fan base due to the game's franchise history. It really may have been a unique convergence of events that will prove unrepeated for a long, long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    To me the elitists are the ones who close off avenues for others or don't help others..A challenge is fun but a community that even prevents people from learning is not.

That said i too miss the old community feel where help and other things were there. As well as a good social backing to MMOs.

Their were never 'closed off avenues', that whole frame of mind is social engineering, through mass postings of hyper-casuals and Blizzard letting the guys that made Vanilla and TBC WoW (Blizzard North) go.

People are in a panic, so two sides are formed... The evil 'elitist' and the good and honorable 'casual'...

How the hell can anything have 5.5 million subs, and be obscure and undiscovered?
    Chronomancer Club

Deleted
    You want some sprinkles with that vanilla? Mmmm....

The MMOs like that are a thing of the past, and the ones that remain in that state certainly aren't doing too well, especially since I can't think of any. You're basically arguing against convenience for the sake of arguing.
    Last edited by mmoc27674c4eec; 2014-04-03 at 12:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinksworth View Post
    You want some sprinkles with that vanilla? Mmmm....

The MMOs like that are a thing of the past, and the ones that remain in that state certainly aren't doing too well, especially since I can't think of any. You're basically arguing against convenience for the sake of arguing.
    MMOs, in general, are a thing of the past.

The genre is eating it's own face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    How the hell can anything have 5.5 million subs, and be obscure and undiscovered?
    A very good question; are you seriously saying, in public, that you haven't heard of this game? That would seem to make my point.

When you discover what game it was, let us know and you too can join 'secret mmo club.'

The social decline is unrelated to LFR/LFG as social interactions are by choice.
    I can go down a road and yell all sorts of rude names at people, interacting with as many local people as possible.
    But that is not making me social, rather anti-social.

LFR/LFG expose you to larger parts of the community than ever before, but if players don't want to talk then that is their fault only.

Stop with the stupid bashing of the group finders when it is the anti-social community that forced their need in the first place.
    The guild or GTFO attitude played a large part.
    Closed guild groups are fundamentally anti-social, in that their interactions are cherry-picked and between a select few only.

Players killed the social aspect, which I need to repeat again and again.
    NOT blizzard.

Thottbot was a thing once, which proved that there was no desire to figure out quests by reading
    Not that many of them were really possible in that regard.

LFR is NOT the same as flex, nor the same as any other difficulty.
    Stop with that unoriginal and completely unfounded complaint.
    People do heroic because it is not the same, simple as that.
    If they were the same, nobody would raid anything higher.
    But the fact they do shuts down that stupid argument immediately.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-04-03 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    The social aspect to WoW, is exactly related to queues.

How the fuck can it not be?

If you don't put time into making relationships in an MMO, how can their be social interaction above a 'road rage' level?

This is Fox News level 'talking points'!

If it doesn't take effort, it's not worth doing seriously.

MMOs, in general, are a thing of the past.

The genre is eating it's own face.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Playerbase (aka Human beings) changed the Genre. There are way many types of gamers nowadays than 10 years ago. Should a company just ignore all these new potential subscribers/players and focus on the oldschool players?

There are plenty of players who still enjoy WoW, Rift, FFXIV:ARR, (Insert your MMO here). Having played WoW since BC, I prefer it nowadays. I'm surely aware it's not the same for everyone, but there are players who share the same feeling. Nowadays I can still go "Hardcore" mode and clear Heroic modes if I want or I can take a break and take it easy doing Flex. If time/schedule is the issue, I can even do LFR. People talk about community, but I've been adding people to my real ID just because of a small talk while doing Heroic Scenarios or World Boss Runs. There is way too much blame on the Game itself rather than "what can I do to improve my community?".

If a game launched with a gameplay similar to WoW Vanilla nowadays (but with updated graphics and bugs fixed) it wouldn't be the same thing. Well, maybe for a couple of months? Then the company realizes the market isn't the same. They can stick to that model and work with a smaller playerbase, but why? One could argue EVE does this, but EVE is largely different from MoP/Rift/FFXIV:ARR/etc, while WoW Vanilla would be more of a variation of these.

As always when someone brings similar topics up, you either provide relevant feedback to Devs (but not expecting it to be applied to the game, as it's just your opinion and might not reflect what is healthy for the game or even what other people want) or you quit.