Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    My point is that they didn't suddenly pull out no flying out of a thin air, but they were considering it for a long time before.
    They may have, but the collective masses of people that suddenly appear to not want flying came out of nowhere. Yes, there were a few that advocated no flying and I can guarantee the complaints were overwhelmingly world pvp related. And for wpvp flying was only a small factor in it's decline.

The sudden bandwagon opposition to flying with little to no thought is amusing at best.

Not sure why people are so mad about no flying mount. I'm going to give it a shot. If the game is fun even w/o flying mounts, I'll keep subbed; otherwise, I'll just quit. You should do same instead of just whining.

You jokers freaking out over this without setting a foot onto Draenor are hilarious. You remind me of this kid that used to work at our company who worked so hard to get out of work. His uncle worked there with us. We told him one day that he would not be able to take a break anymore after lunch. He went insane worrying about not being able to text his girlfriend at that same time each day.

If I was so worried about it as some of you are, I honestly would be speaking to a therapist. Seriously. You will live, kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Not sure why people are so mad about no flying mount. I'm going to give it a shot. If the game is fun even w/o flying mounts, I'll keep subbed; otherwise, I'll just quit. You should do same instead of just whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebuthecow View Post
    You jokers freaking out over this without setting a foot onto Draenor are hilarious. You remind me of this kid that used to work at our company who worked so hard to get out of work. His uncle worked there with us. We told him one day that he would not be able to take a break anymore after lunch. He went insane worrying about not being able to text his girlfriend at that same time each day.

If I was so worried about it as some of you are, I honestly would be speaking to a therapist. Seriously. You will live, kiddies.
    You jokers freaking out over some forum posts is hillarious. If it get's your panties in a knot how about just ignoring the threads? I suppose such a simple thought didn't occur to you. You remind me of *incredibly lame & pointless story* same time each day.
    If I was so worried about it as some of you are, I honestly would be speaking to a therapist. Seriously, You will live, kiddies.

There have been about as much over reacting on both sides.

Compelling ground content isn't exclusive to ground only travel. Avoiding content isn't exclusive to flying. Go to TI and see how much ground travel has forced people to do content they don't want to. (spoiler: it hasn't =P)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

^apparently has never been stunned and dazed by half a dozen stupid leaping tigers that he didn't feel like fighting because they're worthless if you're not a skinner...
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    And you'll be right there with him. Perhaps you should be best friends
    Hmm that dosen't really work when I've only posted about 3 times to his 50+. Still keep trying and one day you may actually make a worthwhile attempt at humour.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    They said multiple times before that they do not like flying. They just came out with guts to implement it right now though. They tried no flying in small scale (IoT, TI) and probably the statistics they got from these allowed them to put no flying for entire continent.
    Isn't that kinda like a blind taste test with only one drink? Where was the new island with flying to run as a comparison?

It's pretty easy to throw up a sign with "free candy" on the only new island/content at the time and call it popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    How this thread has reached nearly 500 pages is beyond me, but now that I have played the Alpha myself I can say with confidence they make no intentions of letting us fly in Draenor, and it is without question the correct choice.
    After a good explore through Frostfire Ridge, I am very confident in saying the multiple layers and sheer size of the zone makes being on the ground a truly special event.
    I'm sure the remainder of the zones will be even better.

Surprised to be saying this, but now I really can't wait to be level 100 and not fly.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    There have been about as much over reacting on both sides.

Compelling ground content isn't exclusive to ground only travel. Avoiding content isn't exclusive to flying. Go to TI and see how much ground travel has forced people to do content they don't want to. (spoiler: it hasn't =P)
    Fear not, our no-flying brethren know what's best for you. Just let it wash over you and think like they do. You're only allowed to have fun as dicated by them. Watch the pendulum swing, young grasshopper. Watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Hmm that dosen't really work when I've only posted about 3 times to his 50+. Still keep trying and one day you may actually make a worthwhile attempt at humour.
    Aren't you a clever little girl? I'm referring to you in the collective sense. Keep trying and one day you may actually make a worthwhile attempt at an argument against flying.

Guess you never read the alpha chat, or watch a gameplay video of it...have ya?

I've been playing WoW since 2007. My first character ever was a hunter, and a Night Elf at that. I remember everyday for months, I would spend, walking from place to place since I had no idea what I was doing, or where I was going. Finally, after hitting lvl 37, I joined a guild, and got some guidance. I found out I could get a Nightsaber once I hit level 40, and a faster one at level 60. Well, I knew what had to be done and started pushing. Before I knew it about 5 weeks later, I was almost lvl 70. That's when I found out about flying mounts. I'd spent all my time leveling in the zones, I barely ever saw Shattrath filled with people, and their new, 5k gold, epic flying mounts. I knew then and there, I wanted one.

When Wrath came, it was back to the ground, but flight at lvl 80 was still within reach. So I went through the content, picked up achievements as I moved, and saw one of my favorite cinematics of all time, the Wrathgate. The battle for Undercity which followed (before it was removed) was almost as epic. But I knew I wanted my cold weather flying so by the time I had my Frostbrood Vanquisher, I'd be ready to ride. I still enjoyed my other new mounts, such as my traveler's mammoth, and my Mekgineer's chopper. But the first time I saw those large Lich flying mounts, I knew I wanted one.

Cataclysm took me by surprise. We were given flying right away, and one of the zones was specifically built to accommodate flight. Hyjal and Deepholm were likely my two favorite zones in that expansion. The changes that came to low level questing were very welcomed, and even though I was happy with my Death Knight, I really wanted a Worgen and a Goblin, just to try out the new zones. Of the two, Goblin felt more painstaking, but others would be more inclined to say the Worgen zone hurt much more to get through. Still, there were new flying mounts on the horizon, and I could not wait to get my hands on them.

Enter Pandaria. Now, I will be the first to admit the chinese theme of Pandaria, and its fuzzy inhabitants would not have been my first choice, but overall, I would have to say it had some of the more breathtaking scenery in the game (save for Nagrand, which will forever be my favorite zone). Even without my appeal to this style and theme, the cloud serpents were a must to add to my collection. Since hitting 90, and buffing BEYOND beast status, going back and farming other flying mounts has been quite the enjoyable experience. After spending so many weeks on the ground in Pandaria, thanks to wanting enough alts to cover all professions, I was certainly ready to take to the sky. Once there, I went back and cleared every zone and completed the Loremaster Achievement for Pandaria, as well as other expansions and zones.

Now, enter WoD. The landscapes look amazing as the artwork far exceeds that of Pandaria. Plus, a chance to visit Draenor pre-explosion and see the war occurring between the Iron Horde and the Draenei. Spires of Arak, Shadowmoon Valley, and Nagrand all hold an interest for me to explore and quest through. I have every intention of seeing the story, completing all of the quests, and clearing every zone, even after hitting lvl 100. I'm sure WoD will offer a great deal in terms of newly designed and compelling quest hubs and environments. I can't wait to fight epic battles on the terrain of Draenor and kill a bunch of orcs in the process.

That said, it is my hope that flying is introduced to the Draenor zones in 6.1. There are currently 162 flying mounts in WoW, and more are being added to the cash shop, archaeology, and raid achievements. As enjoyable as the zones appear on Draenor, and the good things I've heard so far, I am still hopeful that 6.1 will bring the epic quest to unlock flying and allow those of us who really enjoy the flying mounts we're worked so hard to collect, to take to the skies of Draenor and experience those zones from a higher vantage point. I'm certain the ground content will be very engaging, and there will be so many things to do on the ground, but in my down time, away from the dungeons, raids, and end game questing, I might feel the urge to fly up through the spires of Arak, or high over the plains of Nagrand.

I understand the game is an RPG, not a flight sim. However, when Blizz added flying dragons in 2006, they set something in motion that would forever change the way some of us view WoW. We're not asking to have flight added to instances, since they were never a part of most instances. There were a couple in Wrath, though fun the first few times, became a challenge for some later on. We're not asking for ground mounts to be removed. Putting people back on foot would only remind them of levels 1-39 pre-Cataclysm. We're not trying to add aerial combat, or any other sky-based content to the game, since Bashiok has already said no, on more than one occasion. After reading the comments made by the other pro-fliers in the thread, it all boils down to a basic request:

Let us enjoy the freedom and convenience we've already enjoyed for the last 8 years. On more than one occasion, the anti-flight crowd has made comments like:

"It doesn't add anything to the game."
    "It's just a convenience."
    "You can't use it in Dungeons, or Raids, or Battlegrounds, or Arenas."
    "It's just not vital for good gameplay."
    "It's only good for skipping trash mobs in zones, and gathering. It makes things too easy."

But then, come back and state:

"If we use only our ground mounts, we are 'gimping' ourselves and our gameplay."

So, I have to wonder, if it adds nothing but convenience, and is not compelling in any way, and cannot be used in instances, how does it 'gimp' a player? In WoD, we are set to get Garrisons, which will handle gathering for us, even when we are offline, and asleep. Sounds a bit like a "legit" bot, but not really the point. Ok, so gathering will be done at the Garrisons, as will crafting, and repairing, and selling. Plus, the Garrisons will offer us buffs to be used in specific situations. It's possible, while the casual player is out flying about, the dedicated Raider and PvPers will be constructing and improving their Garrisons, thus giving them the competitive edge in gameplay. So since flying doesn't affect how fast you down a boss, or get geared for endgame, or provide any type of advantage, other than travel speed and convenience, where is it fliers are going at 310% that makes raiders so nervous?

Bashiok did have a solid point that flying trivializes combat and questing. Also, it makes it easy to just skip right over mobs and head straight for the target. When asked why flying was not gated behind an achievement or other event, he responded "We've tried a lot of that in prior expansions, and they tend to be mechanics people universally hate. And at the end of the day those are largely bandaids to avoid just solving the issues." This tells me, they are more interested in just removing the feature, rather than balancing it. With so many people, who are not even in the field, but play the game offering solutions, what do they stand to gain from selling an expansion, and flying mounts for that expansion, with no flying in the new zones?

I plan to wait and see what happens in 6.1. As someone who loves questing, and dailies, as well as end game events, I am very hopeful about the content and delivery of WoD. With no new races or classes to back things up, it could get a bit dicey, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ground content is extremely compelling. However, without the convenience and freedom of flight in 6.1, my desire to view the remainder of the expansion will likely diminish, and my need to purchase new flying mounts, or even farm old ones will fall by the wayside, and it will be time to move on. The disappointment of the game I've enjoyed for 7 years changing back into Vanilla will have to be washed away in a new MMO.

If anti-flyers shouldn't have to fly, pro-fliers should not be forced onto ground mounts. Seeing there are two separate, and equally important views in this thread is crucial. So far, there has been a lot of passive-aggressive jabbing from both sides of the isle. Some posters have held on, maybe longer than necessary. In the end, this is still only a game. In most games, the rules don't change, so there is seldom ever an uproar. But, anyone who has posted here knows that we are posting because we love the game, not because we hate it. Some of us just think the new change is a bit radical, and will make the entire thing feel like it did 10 years ago. While I agree getting back to your roots can be a worthwhile task, it is also possible to do more harm than good. Let's just hope Blizzard has thought this one through, and will make a new decision if the strain is too much to bear come 6.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon is the Answer View Post

If anti-flyers shouldn't have to fly, pro-fliers should not be forced onto ground mounts. Seeing there are two separate, and equally important views in this thread is crucial. So far, there has been a lot of passive-aggressive jabbing from both sides of the isle. Some posters have held on, maybe longer than necessary. In the end, this is still only a game. In most games, the rules don't change, so there is seldom ever an uproar. But, anyone who has posted here knows that we are posting because we love the game, not because we hate it. Some of us just think the new change is a bit radical, and will make the entire thing feel like it did 10 years ago. While I agree getting back to your roots can be a worthwhile task, it is also possible to do more harm than good. Let's just hope Blizzard has thought this one through, and will make a new decision if the strain is too much to bear come 6.1.
    Wow, that's a lot of text. I'm going to have to take a moment and read it in it's entirety, but meanwhile I will address this bit. This is what I'm having a hard time seeing. The anti-flight camp comes off as spoiled, whiny brats that want to drag everyone down (literally) with them. Their way has to be the only way, when we can actually coexist (as we have until now).
    Whether they care to admit it or not, the majority of wow players find flying fun, and I'm certain the masses that log in and play the game without being subjected to the toxicity of the forums will want to keep having that aspect of fun. It's a game, after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I still haven't seen many good arguments in favor of flying .. besides "we've had it for X amount of years!" ... if you wanna count that. Oh, and "I want flying so it should be so!"
    We gave them, you pretend we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroStratics View Post
    How this thread has reached nearly 500 pages is beyond me, but now that I have played the Alpha myself I can say with confidence they make no intentions of letting us fly in Draenor, and it is without question the correct choice.
    After a good explore through Frostfire Ridge, I am very confident in saying the multiple layers and sheer size of the zone makes being on the ground a truly special event.
    I'm sure the remainder of the zones will be even better.

Surprised to be saying this, but now I really can't wait to be level 100 and not fly.
    The funny thing is you could be level 90 and not fly too. Don't try to act like the game needs to force others to play how you feel it is right.

And wasn't alpha for friends and family of blizzard employees?

Deleted
    Fear not, our no-flying brethren know what's best for you. Just let it wash over you and think like they do. You're only allowed to have fun as dicated by them. Watch the pendulum swing, young grasshopper. Watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't you a clever little girl? I'm referring to you in the collective sense. Keep trying and one day you may actually make a worthwhile attempt at an argument against flying.
    I wouldn't call it be being clever its just common sense. TBH I havn't seen a worthwhile argument for flying that's worthy of making one against, besides the game makers themselves seem to have done my work for me.

Wow, that's a lot of text. I'm going to have to take a moment and read it in it's entirety, but meanwhile I will address this bit. This is what I'm having a hard time seeing. The anti-flight camp comes off as spoiled, whiny brats that want to drag everyone down (literally) with them. Their way has to be the only way, when we can actually coexist (as we have until now).
    Whether they care to admit it or not, the majority of wow players find flying fun, and I'm certain the masses that log in and play the game without being subjected to the toxicity of the forums will want to keep having that aspect of fun. It's a game, after all.
    From my perspective, I think both sides are "demanding" their way be the only way. Pro-fliers have had flying for 8 years. Anti-fliers had 2 years. However, both sides still benefit from both types of mounts, and neither will have a competitive edge over the other in WoD thanks to Garrisons. I can see experiencing the game without flight in the new zones, for awhile; however, an entire expansion without flight in those current zones will feel like Vanilla (post level 40) with ground mounts. But thus far, there have been 3 new mounts, all made for Draenor, two of which were crafted on Draenor, all of which have flight. The chimera from Archaeology, the Sky Reaver, and the new Iron Forged warhorse. I just find it tough to conceive that Blizz would continue to turn out, and charge, for mounts with the capability of flight, made by the new factions on the new planet, in the new expansion, yet cannot fly where they were built? That's like constructing a skyscraper with no windows. You have the potential for incredible views, but are content with looking at your surroundings within the confines of the building.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Blizzard said no flight until 6.1 and then "wait and see" if flying returns based on customer FEEDBACK. That's what we are doing, no reason to tell us to not offer our opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

You are over reacting, we are just giving our opinion on game design. Happens on forums I hear.

It is this time of antagonistic behavior that never actually solves problems, but simply enhances them. Before judging others, it might be prudent to replace flying with your favorite element of the game, and then build a scenario where Blizz wants to remove it entirely. Flying may not be important to some, but it is to others. Without flying, some players feel they are losing a freedom, a convenience, long enjoyed for these past 8 years. It hurts no one to understand both sides of the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    I wouldn't call it be being clever its just common sense. TBH I havn't seen a worthwhile argument for flying that's worthy of making one against, besides the game makers themselves seem to have done my work for me.
    I haven't seen a worthy argument for the removal of flying at max level that warrants making an argument for keeping flying.

The scenario put to the player base by the game makers was extremely situational, terribly one sided and totally devoid of any real answers to perceived problems other than "eh, remove it".

One would hope the games features would be expanded on in an expansion, rather than removed.
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "