Page 1 of 34
... LastLast

Letter from Death Row Inmate (since killed)

http://gawker.com/a-letter-from-ray-...ted-1536073598

I found this interesting.

Also it should be pointed out that he didn't kill anyone. The other person killed the person, but that other person did a plea and got life in jail. This seems like a horribly broken system of an already broken system.

1) we shouldn't have death penalty
    2) don't kill the person who didn't kill the person and then give the person who did kill the person a lighter sentence, that just makes no fucking sense

He speaks a bit about how our prison system is essentially somewhat like slavery.

"If a prisoner refuses to work and be a slave, they will do their time in isolation as punishment. You have thousands of people with a lot of prison time that have no choice but to make money for the government or live in isolation. This affects of prison isolation literally drive people crazy."
    We have a clear problem in this company, whoops... Country... when we have groups lobbying against unions while shifting jobs to prisoners who work for nothing.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-07-08 at 06:21 AM.

Well at least tell the whole story here themius. He may not have killed the guy but he walked up behind him then slit his throat.

http://murderpedia.org/male.J/j/jasper-ray.htm

Don't do the crime if you cant do the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Well at least tell the whole story here themius. He may not have killed the guy but he walked up behind him then slit his throat.

http://murderpedia.org/male.J/j/jasper-ray.htm

Don't do the crime if you cant do the time.
    The time shouldn't be death. In the state of texas death penalties are given when there is no hope of redemption.

Death isn't "doing time" death is ending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The time shouldn't be death. In the state of texas death penalties are given when there is no hope of redemption.

If you walk up behind someone and slit their throat and rob them, then yeah it should be death.

Heres another fine human being that is also living in texas who got the death penalty.

Last edited by Hooked; 2014-07-08 at 06:35 AM.

If you walk up behind someone and slit their throat and rob them, then yeah it should be death.
    Do you not see the inequality in this ruling considering the person who went on to kill them doesn't get the death penalty? Also there are other issues at hand here, like our for profit system of modern day slavery.

Do you not see the inequality in this ruling considering the person who went on to kill them doesn't get the death penalty? Also there are other issues at hand here, like our for profit system of modern day slavery.
    Yes they both should have gotten the death penalty, I agree plea bargains are the worst thing ever for a civilized society.

Yes they both should have gotten the death penalty, I agree plea bargains are the worst thing ever for a civilized society.
    You can't tote "civilized society" while supporting archaic, barbaric, and often enough wrong practices. Innocent people are killed, innocent people are on death row, waiting, to be killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slitting someone's throat was probably considered are more viscous act that deserved a harsher penalty. I happen to agree.

Deleted
    The biggest problem with the death penalty is, and always was, that we are also executing people who are innocent. That alone should be reason enough for people to be against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    The biggest problem with the death penalty is, and always was, that we are also executing people who are innocent. That alone should be reason enough for people to be against it.
    I don't agree that we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the hell do you think would have happened from the victim having his/her throat cut regardless of what the other person did? Are you seriously that obtuse?

"Well sure I stabbed the guy through the heart with that icepick... but it was the guy with me who shot him! He would have been fine!"
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I don't give a shit about what you "believe" do you honestly think the justice system is infallible?!

The result, a peer-reviewed analysis published by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States, is described as a “deliberately conservative” number which makes clear that wrongful convictions are not as uncommon as many would like to believe.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/04/23/1306417111

Deliberately conservative... read as... "probably more but we're gonna low ball this."

15+ Year Old Account
    wait, you have a federal subsidized slave labour system?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You mean Wal-Mart?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    We have people on death row that are innocent. We know that. We generally have people in prison that are innocent, because our justice system is flawed and we as humans make mistakes. Sometimes, we put the wrong guys behind bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if someone deletes a society unit which could work 8 hours per day for the benefit of the country, forcing them to work 16 hours per day is kinda reasonable in some weird sense.

Anyways, margin of error is so small for the benefit of removing monsters from society
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Actually yes.

A federal system where private companies that utilize prisoners hire them at a a higher rate, say minimum wage, or even slightly below that, and when they're released they get that money in a set check each month. That would be a more fair system, that would be a system that saves companies money by hiring prisoners, a system that would give hope to prisoners when they get out a system that doesn't force prisoners to be slaves who essentially work for pennies. When these people get out they don't really have a means to make a living and they're so shunned by society getting another job can be very very difficult.

10+ Year Old Account

oh look its themius fudging the facts again. sorry but murderers should indeed be sent to die. they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Anyways, margin of error is so small
    You consider the odds of rolling a 1 on a D20 to be "so small"?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    oh look its themius fudging the facts again. sorry but murderers should indeed be sent to die. they have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
    What facts did I "fudge" here. You look foolish.

In Texas the death penalty is given when a person is deemed beyond redemption, giving out death penalties to people who can be redeemed just wouldn't make sense secondly.

Also what facts did I fudge here? You can't same "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" but when the time is "ending" time, that's not "doing time" That's being killed.