Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The most ridiculous raid comps over the years

The topic at hand here is basically to share the most ridiculous raid comps you've either used out of convenience, special mechanics considerations, or just for fun over the years. What fights made you take an abnormal number of healers, or way too many mages?

I'll share a few examples:
    1) During Vanilla, my guild in mostly blues/greens would run ZG unless we had 3 mages for CC'ing trash. We also had 9 healers on our first Hakkar kill because our healers were sorely undergeared and couldn't keep up with the raid damage.

2) We had 5+ warlocks during our server-2nd Magtheridon progression during BC. Lots of fears and banishes to be had there.

3) I think we used 11 healers during Gurtogg Bloodboil progression at one point? We eventually toned it down, but we definitely had 2 healers per group at that point.

Paragon with 11 druids during Nefarian HC comes to mind. That was one of the first true WTF moments of raidstacking in my opinion.

My own raidteam? Nothing really extraordinary, just that at one point we had 9 people on the conqueror token in 10man. Not fun for anyone in the raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    15ish frost mages for Viscidus.

On my server another guild stacked wl for Lichking ICC 25 man heroic.
    2 tanks, 5 or 6 healer, and the rest (15-16) warlocks and i believe one druid (raid/guild leader)

Sunwell....so many resto shamans...so much yellow laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    15ish frost mages for Viscidus.
    37 frost mages, a tank and two healers on classic Ragnaros.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    It wasn't by choice, but during early Dragon Soul progression.... we had 5 paladins and only 4 classes total due to 1/2 the guild quitting after normal mode was done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Neither of these on purpose, nor was it fun - just because we sucked at recruiting :P

In kara we just outright only had 1 tank and two healers. I often drain-tanked on my warlock and our holy pally took a lot of secondary tank debuffs (he was an extremely good player). Granted we didn't beat the place, but I think got all but the last 2-3 bosses down.

In Wrath we raided without at least half of the raid buffs. Back when Kings was 10% and blessing of wisdom was really important...I think for a while all we had was Fortitude, Icy Talons, and Battle Shout, maybe Replenishment from a hunter?...no battle rezzes either.

Never really had any crazy comps on purpose - but I remember when people were stacking warlocks on Yogg +0
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-08-27 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    Paragon with 11 druids during Nefarian HC comes to mind. That was one of the first true WTF moments of raidstacking in my opinion.

My own raidteam? Nothing really extraordinary, just that at one point we had 9 people on the conqueror token in 10man. Not fun for anyone in the raid.
    That was my excact tough, and then Sunwell right after with shamans, but both already taken :z
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

1 tank and 4 spriest on Loatheb 40 man (yes, 5 players) in Naxx.
    Half the raid logging onto mage alts for Viscidus in AQ40.
    8 tanks for 4 horsemen 40man in Naxx.
    Resto shaman stacking in TBC (mostly Sunwell) and any class stacking after that (Nef HC is a good one y)
    1 healing 10 man Garrosh HC (suprised me to see that in a world first kill)
    25 DK's clearing heroic raids (I believe 25 locks got a long way aswell and 25 druids has been done aswell afaik)

10+ Year Old Account
    We had 3 priests and 3 pallies in ToT. Was not very fun for those people since they were all on the conqueror token. Also had 2 mages in that same group. The last 2 were myself on my monk and a shaman.

Deleted

An LFR I did recently. Notice how we only had 5 ranged?

Deleted
    A little while ago now, but in classic I somehow ended up in a 40 man raid for Onyxia. Pretty standard, but druid only =D
    I know there was some priests only raid too, but don't know how far they got, was a fun time back then.

And technically a raid group: rogue assault on crossroads. like 50+ rogues in stealth from lvl 30-60 killing everything in sight. such a great time when ppl were having fun doing stupid things.

- Stars used something like 5 rogues, 8 mages, 3 resto shamans for Spine heroic.
    - 8 Warrior tanks for the Four Horseman
    - Paragon using 8 warlocks for SoO farm lawl.

Saronite bombs on LK.

(yeah I went there)

If we're talking about classes, then Stars spamming warlocks on... algalon? (or yogg I forget) and I want to say like 9 druids for Paragon's H Nefarian Kill. There are some other crazy things like viscidus/classic rag frost dmg stacking and others I forget.

With most of the guilds I've been with there seems to be a trend in 70%+ of the DPS being melee and somehow everyone ends up on the same token. (conqueror most tiers, but sometimes protector. At least protector in my history has a high % droprate.)
    Stay salty my friends.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0OVNxNmc#gid=0

The fact that I had to make that for heroic Thok was insane, not really a specific comp issue but basically that everyone that didn't have a raid cooldown was worthless because DPS was a joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwickman View Post
    Definitely that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ghorron View Post
    A little while ago now, but in classic I somehow ended up in a 40 man raid for Onyxia. Pretty standard, but druid only =D
    I know there was some priests only raid too, but don't know how far they got, was a fun time back then.
    There's a druid-only guild that raids, Druids of the Beast http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11180919033 (armory seems to be screwed though).

And technically a raid group: rogue assault on crossroads. like 50+ rogues in stealth from lvl 30-60 killing everything in sight. such a great time when ppl were having fun doing stupid things.
    That would be an awesome sight!

Wasn't there an all-DK clear of heroic firelands, possibly? I think they got quite far into some current (at the time) raid at least.

33 frost mages for Ragnaros

Next favorite on my list is the all-druid raiding group. Because it is actually viable to run MoP flex with all druids (could probably do normal too, but imagine the loot drama...)
    I play horde, or I would so want to be part of those raids.

My first real raiding guild had 7 regular mages in 25 man at one point. They were casual and weren't trying to stack mages or anything, it just so happened we had 7 mages.

We started MoP with a terrible comp. 2 rogues, enhance shaman, monk, ret 11th man.. we ran 4/5 melee which was pretty annoying until we swapped some around.

The 11 druids on Nef is definitely one.

Wasn't the first Alone in the Darkness with about 6-10 locks? Or am i just smoking something?