Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Stem Cell research being held back

How do you feel about the fact that we could have made amazing breakthroughs in medicine only to be hampered?

BIASED RAMBLING BELOW

Yes this post is biased. I'm pretty pissed off and have been for some time regarding this. It has brought to mind whether ignorance deserves a voice. This is where I have a hard time thinking of why peoples' uneducated thoughts should hamper progress. Despite my adherence to freedom of speech there are times where I just wish scientific progress for the greater good would supersede ignorant opinions too often derived from dogma.

I just had to get that off my chest.
    Last edited by Wewlad; 2014-10-30 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    How do you feel about the fact that we could have made amazing breakthroughs in medicine only to be hampered by ignorant minds who would prevent us from moving forward?

Yes that statement is biased. This post is biased. I'm pretty pissed off and have been for some time regarding this. It has brought to mind whether ignorance deserves a voice. This is where I have a hard time thinking of why peoples' uneducated thoughts should hamper progress. Despite my adherence to freedom of speech there are times where I just wish scientific progress for the greater good would supersede ignorant opinions too often derived from dogma.

Because that's what you do. You don't give up discussions about anything just because of scientific progress. Ethics play a big role in science and shouldn't be disregarded. Furthermore it is a brutally bold statement to label people who are against SCR as ignorant or even stupid.

Even though I am all for SCR, I would never try to choke out other people's opinion on that matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you feel about the fact that we could have made amazing breakthroughs in medicine only to be hampered by ignorant minds who would prevent us from moving forward?

Yes that statement is biased. This post is biased. I'm pretty pissed off and have been for some time regarding this. It has brought to mind whether ignorance deserves a voice. This is where I have a hard time thinking of why peoples' uneducated thoughts should hamper progress. Despite my adherence to freedom of speech there are times where I just wish scientific progress for the greater good would supersede ignorant opinions too often derived from dogma.

How is it being held back right now? Seems like full speed ahead to me, especially since the development of IPS cells.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    So...um...is there anything you actually want to discuss here?

Cause the whole topic of stem cell research could make for a great discussion (although I don't see how religion won't eventually come into play and get the thread locked) but with an OP like that you don't exactly open the door for any sort of dialogue.

It seems that you are one of those ignorant ones of which you speak. Nobody disagrees for no reason. The notion of "devil's advocate" is reserved for the super, teeny tiny minority that are apathetic, and those people usually give no damn.

Natural Law proponents and Pacifists are pretty much diametrically opposed to the use of stem cells for their very nature. You can't label those people as stupid because they disagree.

Kind of like Roe v Wade and how much a forced procedure has backfired on its progress in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

It's stupid. Science, Politics and various other areas should never be restrained by Religion. Debate is fine, discussion is fine, but intervention and blockades, not acceptable.

It's 2014, whatever you believe, whatever you choose to think happens, fine, but don't stop other fields from advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    How is it being held back right now? Seems like full speed ahead to me, especially since the development of IPS cells.
    I think he's trying to suggest that religious dogma has stymied it, that despite the advances we have seen, it could have been much further ahead if there wasn't the level of push back over the last little while.

But that's none of my business!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Like. Is there a specific link you want to post that says stem cell research is being held back? Orrrr is this going off what your feelings are telling you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Natural Law proponents and Pacifists are pretty much diametrically opposed to the use of stem cells for their very nature. You can't label those people as stupid because they disagree.
    Please explain. How does pacifism have anything to do with the nature of stem cells?

Please explain. How does pacifism have anything to do with the nature of stem cells?
    Belief against murder.
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Because that's what you do. You don't give up discussions about anything just because of scientific progress. Ethics play a big role in science and shouldn't be disregarded. Furthermore it is a brutally bold statement to label people who are against SCR as ignorant or even stupid.

Even though I am all for SCR, I would never try to choke out other people's opinion on that matter.
    For me the debate should have died just like with abortion. Much of scientific progress has come from unsavoury research which is acknowledged as such. While ethics in general shouldn't be completely disregarded—anything derived from religious dogma should be as religion shouldn't interfere with science.

I am frustrated that we could have produced so many cures and revolutions in medicine but have been hampered for so long. At times like this the desire to choke out opposition rises. I do admit that line of thought isn't desirable though and recognize it as apart of my frustration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I think he's trying to suggest that religious dogma has stymied it, that despite the advances we have seen, it could have been much further ahead if there wasn't the level of push back over the last little while.

And that pushback lasted all of a year or two? It's hardly stymied the field at all, especially since research went on even when it was a political football.

Do you have any examples of this happening recently? I know it used to be a thing like 10 years ago.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Belief against murder.
    What murder? Stem cells can be made from adult skin cells. Is it murder to take a few skin cells from an adult?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post

You're exactly right here. My primary problem is with religious dogma because it should NOT impact science whatsoever and yet it does.

Stem Cell research may be better off now but it could have been much further ahead if ground hadn't been given to religious nuts.

Uh, you're several years late on this.

They found that if you add 4 specific chemicals to any live human cell, it will revert it back to a stem cell. That's why stem cell research has really taken off the last few years.

This is no longer an issue for ANYONE because they don't have to come from fetuses anymore.

What murder? Stem cells can be made from adult skin cells. Is it murder to take a few skin cells from an adult?
    And yet most harvesting is done from children/the fetus.

The big sticking point was using fetuses for experimentation. They've found other sources of stem cells. I don't think it's a big deal now.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

For me the debate should have died just like with abortion. Much of scientific progress has come from unsavoury research which is acknowledged as such. While ethics in general shouldn't be completely disregarded—anything derived from religious dogma should be as religion shouldn't interfere with science.

I am frustrated that we could have produced so many cures and revolutions in medicine but have been hampered for so long. At times like this the desire to choke out opposition rises. I do admit that line of thought isn't desirable though and recognize it as apart of my frustration.
    By muting others you aren't acting any better than those that try to mute you. Listen to them and evaluate their opinions accordingly. Also, not all counter arguments for SCR are coming from the religious direction. You don't have to be religious to find experiments on fetuses questionable and you should be allowed to voice your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet most harvesting is done from children/the fetus.
    Please show me those stats. Why would the scientists use a potentially controversial source when they can just make the stem cells in the lab?