Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

That's the one I own. Got it for my 18th Birthday. Tissot is one of my favorite watch brands. They literally last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    I'm sorry. Calvaneo is Chinese crap? I think you are mistaken. http://www.calvaneowatch.com/about-us
    I'm not mistaken, I'm confident to say I 'know watches'. It's a so called 'mushroom brand'. They make up a nice story, put in cheap chinese movements and sell it to people who don't know much about watches. They often put up sites with prices around 1.000-2.000 euro and then discount them to 100-500 euro to add a 'deal of a lifetime' feeling to it. They only sell online and make up stories about the brands history. 1583? Vacheron Constantin is the oldest swiss manufacturer under continuous operation and Blancpain is the oldest one, both much younger than 1583. It's a made up story. Calvaneo is a scam, mushroom, knock-off or whatever type of brand u want to call it. They have movements with a tourbillon in it. People who know watches know these arent available for much less than 50.000 euro. I have one of the cheapest swiss automatic 'open' watches, the Hamilton I linked earlier, and u won't even get that for much under 1.000 euro. Also when you check their models u see they copy Rolex submariners and models from Franc Muller. Also the non-watch pictures on their site just scream 'scam'. You don't even have to knows watches to see they ripped those off the internet. A Calvaneo is not worth any more than 10-20 euro.

My advice: save some money and buy a real swiss 'entry level' watch: Tissot, Hamilton, Frederique Constant, etc.

Everything about the brand screams scam to anyone who knows a bit of watches.

More information:
    http://chinesewatchwiki.net/Mushroom_brands
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/term...nd-156031.html
    Last edited by Oniax; 2015-01-10 at 04:10 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Your desire to waste money does not apply to the masses. Calvaneo does. You smell like a clockworker looking to protect your assets.

Do feel free. to tell the world that The Netherlands have been producing fake merchandise for hundreds of years. The brand? are like any other brand, bought and paid for.
    I don't say u shouldn't buy it, I say It's not worth more than a few bucks and that it's made of cheap Chinese components and that the story is made up and that they copy other watch brands. If u want to buy it then go for it. Just know it's not worth the prices they ask and anyone who knows watches will tell you the same. But in the end, if you are happy with it then thats all right I guess.

I wear a B Swiss Automatic, I can't wear anything with a battery with them because they stop working after a short period of time. I also have a couple of other automatics around somewhere, but I never wear them.

7+ Year Old Account
    I have a Bulova watch from my high school graduation. I wear it every time I can.

And you think the watches you refer to are worth their price? lol. say what you're on is correct. Then I am very happy to pay 1-2k for something I would otherwise have to pay 50k for.

Calvaneo is a respectful corporation. You speak of them as if you enter a pact with the devil. I guess you also have apple and dell products.
    I don't say these 50k watches are worth 50k. There is an enormous difference in quality though, u can't compare a Calvaneo to a watch like a Vacheron Constantin, that's comparing a Ssangyong to a Rolls Royce. The only thing I say is that Calvaneo is not honest in it's advertisement since it pretends to be a German company while it's a Chinese brand. I wouldn't buy from a company that lies since I consider it poor taste.

Time to end it where we started. You are mistaken. I bet most of North Europe are Germans to you, clockworker.
    That makes no sense whatsoever xD have a nice weekend though!
    Last edited by Oniax; 2015-01-10 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    I dont have one currently as my pocketwatch broke a few months ago. It was as simple of a design as you can imagine but that + the fact you had to manually wind it every day had quite the charm.

As for my dreamwatch, i am really interested in this one:
    http://twistedsifter.com/2014/01/ast...-orbiting-sun/

Got a G-Shock something lying around, used to like it but hard landings on my bike would make it flex too much and the strap pins kept bending :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vancleave View Post
    So what do u have and dream of guys?!
    Rolex, Tag, Omega and a few cheaper watches. My favorite watch is a minute repeater by Patek.
    My dream watch is of course the famous Henry Graves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I have these watches:

Panerai Luminor 1950 Chrono Monopulsant 8 Days GMT ceramic

My dream watch is the Panerai Lo Scienziato Luminor 1980 Tourbillon GMT ceramic

As for the people saying: "I have a [smart]phone", watches, more specifically haute horlogerie, aren't to control the time. It's wearable art, which you can only fully appreciate, if you appreciate the art itself.
    Hey I had the same Panerai, sold it though..
    Last edited by lockedout; 2015-01-10 at 06:34 PM.

I'm sorry. Calvaneo is Chinese crap? I think you are mistaken. http://www.calvaneowatch.com/about-us
    Unfortunately that is in fact Chinese junk. Definitely not haute horlogerie.

And you think the watches you refer to are worth their price? lol..
    That's strictly an opinion. It's art and you can't rationalize a price tag on art. Is the Mona Lisa worth $800 million? Not to some, to others it is.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Hey I had the same Panerai, sold it though.
    Why would anyone sell the Monopulsant ceramic? You forced a tear there brother.

I don't like Patek myself. Too elegant and IMO it doesn't fit a 34 year old bloke. I like Hublot's design, but unfortunately both Hublot as Audemars Piguet are associated to dubious individuals - if you know what a mean.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-01-10 at 08:16 PM.

A few decades old. Still works perfectly.

Don't own a watch, use the clock on my phone if I need to check the time and there's not a clock or something I can see.

I really don't like wearing stuff I don't have to though, so not just watches, I don't wear rings(if I marry I'll make an exception, but a wedding ring is the only ring I'll wear), necklaces, bracelets, etc either.

I had a lot of really cool fossil watches back in the day, and a fancy rolex my father gave to me, but I don't wear em.

I do like pocket watches when I wear my suits though

tehe
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    I think that I have not worn a watch for at least 14 years now. I always preferred to take a quick glance at the display of my phone (despite having to get it out every time) over wearing something (other than a small bracelet or the like) around my wrist all the time.

That said, I consider buying an Apple Watch when it launches. Not sure yet, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually wear my Derek Jeter Captain Series Museum Sport watch by Movado. My boss bought it for me when I was promoted, and he knew how much I loved the Yankees and Derek Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post

Why would anyone sell the Monopulsant ceramic? You forced a tear there brother.

I don't like Patek myself. Too elegant and IMO it doesn't fit a 34 year old bloke. I like Hublot's design, but unfortunately both Hublot as Audemars Piguet are associated to dubious individuals - if you know what a mean.
    How do you know I wasn't talking about the Lo Scienziato??
    I sold it for 2 reasons. One it was to a family member and two they paid me exactly what I paid for it so it was win win.
    I do agree about the Pateks being to elegant but were talking dream watches here. I am in the market for a sub similar to the one you posted, how do you like that bracelet. It's the newer one right?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    How do you know I wasn't talking about the Lo Scienziato??
    I sold it for 2 reasons. One it was to a family member and two they paid me exactly what I paid for it so it was win win.
    I do agree about the Pateks being to elegant but were talking dream watches here. I am in the market for a sub similar to the one you posted, how do you like that bracelet. It's the newer one right?
    Because that would be like owning an original Paul Cézanne and selling it

Pam's don't lose value anyway, especially these limited editions which gain value. Not as much, or as fast as Rolex though. The sub is the Z series 16610 (2007). The bracelet is great, I change it now and then, although it's the watch a wear least.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2015-01-10 at 09:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really don't like the feel of a watch strapped around my wrist, don't think I've worn a watch since I was... maybe 8.
    Back then I relied on other people for the time and later I just used my phone for it.

Poljot Blue Angel
    Calvin Klein City
    Thomas Sabo Rebel at Heart
    Omega Seamaster Planet ocean