Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

What was the main reason WoD jumped to 10million subs again?

I want to know what you think. Was it because of the theme/lore of the old orc clans? Was it simply because MoP was over? Was it the multi-million dollar marketing campaign? Or a combination of a bunch of things?

I think it was a little bit about seeing the "old" warcraft stuff, but mostly the huge marketing campaign they plastered all over the place. It really rivaled Destiny's imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plain and simple cause it was new.

Marketing? Never seen any here.
    Probably anticipation, hope, desperation for want of a better game?
    Just like Call of Duty since MW series, people hope one day they can return to the "good" old days, whether it be for nostalgic reasons or something else.
    Then people realise it's the same old and move on, again.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I want to know what you think. Was it because of the theme/lore of the old orc clans? Was it simply because MoP was over? Was it the multi-million dollar marketing campaign? Or a combination of a bunch of things?

I think it was a little bit about seeing the "old" warcraft stuff, but mostly the huge marketing campaign they plastered all over the place. It really rivaled Destiny's imo.
    Well, there is no "panda fun time" labeling. Its back to the actually "war" side of warcraft.
    Blood and thunder vs strategy and honor, etc.

and the removal of flying mounts (thank fucking god) brings a lot of nostalgia back to the game and exploring.
    I'm enjoying it, though the garrison feels a lot like a hidden Farmville sink so they have to to finish their soon™ content

inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

For myself, Cataclysm burned me with 25man raiding. I returned for 5.4 and stuck around for Warlords. The flexible raid model is incredibly important for maintaining healthy guilds, communities, and keeping players together, but you won't see the impact of that until later.

For Warlord's launch numbers I just attribute it to the idea that players were waiting for new content. Seeing as this number is identical to MOP launch.

Deleted
    empty promises aka marketing

Deleted
    Garrisons and Draenei content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Because its new expansion and people wanted to try it out. Thats it. People who left before are likely to leave again, those who sticked around in MoP will probably stick around.

New player models, mainly. Heavy contrast to previous expansion. Return to outland*.

*Draenor

A combination of around 3 million reasons.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    It was new. I'm sure in a quarter or two the numbers will start to drop again as the shine of "new" goes away. Unless Blizz somehow has a secret plan to keeping the numbers up with new good content. If not then any gains will have been quite temporary.

Its the first WoW xpac to thematically feel like Warcraft since Wrath. Its hard for someone just browsing to be interested in a Chinese themed xpac or a bunch of elementals. Orcs though? Everyone knows about Orcs even if they've never heard of Warcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Deleted
    I guess It was because "Warlords of Draenor".
    I mean "Warlords" for "Back to WAAAAAR!, back to WARCRAFT!!!" and "Draenor" for "Back to BC, back to the Golden Age of WoW" and mostly "no more pandas who tried to be different!!!".

It's what I call full of fanservice...

2-4 hour Ashran Queues? You could have fooled me there was 10 million subs. More like 900,000 in North America.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was no more "gay pandas ruining our game". And basically a chance at seeing outland BEFORE it was the outland. Promises of going back to their roots and Garrisons being the housing people have been begging for since the start of the game. Unfortunately WoD is looking like the true "WoW killer". Will be interesting to see the numbers midway through this year because personally I don't think they wi be in Blizzard's favor.

Deleted
    I predict that there will be massive sub losses, there's very little to do besides raiding and pvping and there's the eye sore known as Trashran. I don't get why Blizzard doesn't give us a couple of daily quests and/or tabards to grind rep in dungeons. Do they really believe the average player will kill thousands of mobs to get exalted with the 'various' (5 lol) reputations for miniscule rewards? I think the expansion shouldn't have been released until February, we're still in beta basically. I mean unless you only play 3 hours a week you run out of stuff to do pretty fast I think. 6.1 better brings some much needed changes to the way the endgame works. Raiding is great fun and pvping is ok, but I'd like to have meaningful stuff to do once I'm done, right now I feel like logging off once Impregnator is dead
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-01-12 at 04:57 PM.

Crazy marketing. They did so much of it for WoD compared to Pandaria, along with pushing the character boost/come-back-and-check-things-out angle.
    I expect the lore nostalgia hooked in some people, but that number would have been minuscule compared to how many the broad marketing net grabbed. The only expansion feature to capture people's interest in a big way would have been garrisons, which I can see swaying a lot of players looking for something different and oft-requested from WoW.

But the lion's share of subs has been a direct result of the heavy marketing campaign this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I predict that there will be massive sub losses, there's very little to do besides raiding and pvping and there's the eye sore known as Trashran. I don't get why Blizzard doesn't give us a couple of daily quests and/or tabards to grind rep in dungeons. Do they really believe the average player will kill thousands of mobs to get exalted with the various reputations for miniscule rewards? I think the expansion shouldn't have been released until February, we're still in beta basically.
    Well, the first content patch is generally the "fix the annoying stuff" patch. 5.1 had alt friendly content and the first Cata patch introduced the ability to grind VP instead of once a day. So we'll see what 6.1 provides in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I predict that there will be massive sub losses, there's very little to do besides raiding and pvping and there's the eye sore known as Trashran. I don't get why Blizzard doesn't give us a couple of daily quests and/or tabards to grind rep in dungeons. Do they really believe the average player will kill thousands of mobs to get exalted with the 'various' (5 lol) reputations for miniscule rewards?
    I think the expansion shouldn't have been released until February, we're still in beta basically. I mean unless you only play 3 hours a week you run out of stuff to do pretty fast I think. 6.1 better brings some much needed changes to the way the endgame works.
    This whole game is based on raiding and pvp'ing wtf else do you think is meant to be there to do for 24hrs a day..

Yyes i think they do as they have done since the beginning of this game... I personally don't do them but a lot of people do.

Adding another 4-5 months to MoP would have made WoD even more impossible to live up to any standard that the players had held it too before playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marketing, hype, great beta and word of mouth etc.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup