Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That's not at all racist...
    Blanket statement about a group being racist towards another group isn't racist? Would this then be racist: X number of Germans hate Jews.
    Just because it's undefined doesn't remove the obvious assumption that it is true if the number > 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    How is it bullshit when white supremacist groups (Off the top of my head) alone validate her stance on the notion that X number of whites hate blacks?
    Because she said that it was "Caucasians in the United States". Not White Supremacist Groups. Your example is self-evident. Hers is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Overthrowing governments is far different than trying to influence a population

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Well I love camping so I'm biased a certain way, but I thought it was a funny article. I don't know what the statistical data is on whites who camp versus nonwhites who camp recreationally.
    Me,my dad, and his buddies loved camping during the spring summer months in Iowa, though it was mostly just for the fishing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Blanket statement about a group being racist towards another group isn't racist? Would this then be racist: X number of Germans hate Jews.
    Just because it's undefined doesn't remove the obvious assumption that it is true if the number > 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Because she said that it was "Caucasians in the United States". Not White Supremacist Groups. Your example is self-evident. Hers is not.
    White supremacist groups are predominately Caucasian specifically for the reason she stated.

That they view blacks as inferior.

She shouldn't need to add every qualifier possible when her statement was as open and fair as it was (That X Caucasians in the U.S view blacks as inferior).

You're taking offence where none was intended.

/Signed

The whitest motherfucker you'll see.

Portland's population is 76% white and 24% minority groups, I wasn't able to find *any* cosmetic items, greeting cards, novels, or stockings appropriate for anyone of color. It is a large store.
    minority doesn't mean exclusively black
    you have a 6.3% black population
    7.1% Asian
    9.4% Hispanic and so on
    http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/41/4159000.html

so once again as I mentioned before you don't have a great demand for those items you mentioned based on black population size to make it profitable for stores to take up shelf space for items they are not going to sell much of. it has nothing to do with racism or prejudice its economics
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-02-22 at 09:32 PM.

Deleted
    I think Booshman explained it pretty well to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    As long as you state that the group is a minority within the group that are overwhelmingly not like that, then it's fine. Most don't. And that's where things become problematic.
    Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    White supremacist groups are predominately Caucasian specifically for the reason she stated.

That they view blacks as inferior.

She shouldn't need to add every qualifier possible when her statement was as open and fair as it was (That X Caucasians in the U.S view blacks as inferior).

You're taking offence where none was intended.

/Signed

The whitest motherfucker you'll see.
    Except you're putting words in her mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyari View Post
    I think Booshman explained it pretty well to me:

Makes sense to me.
    Of course. It's just that the poster to which I replied never did.
    I'm done here, why did I actually bother to give a serious reply on page 1 I guess this is a perfect example of why discussions on the internet are so fucking pointless

Deleted
    I never got the feel that it was said that everyone is or that most are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I think you could argue there's a difference when your ancestors were forcibly acculturated to oppress them and when some idiot teenager runs around promoting stereotypes about the ethnicity they claim to be celebrating and thinking that makes them every bit as whatever as people born and raised in wherever.

Also, you're not doing a good job of showing how my view is hypocritical, other than rushing to assume I'm being a hypocrite.
    I'll give that my Irish family had a choice (I.E. Starve or move) to come over here, but they weren't exactly greeted with open arms either.

I still fail to see where claiming an ethnic background actively hurting anything, or anyone. My dad is 75% Irish, and my Mom is 60% French, but they've both lived American lives. In what universe are they offending someone by celebrating their heritage?

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    Because American whites are fucking stupid about claiming ethnic identities. There are regional variations of American culture, but there's still an identifiable dominant white culture.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    What a terrible view of camping/fishing.
    You like camping? Real camping? Are you sure you're black?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Except you're putting words in her mouth.

- - - Updated - - -

When you are in a hole, stop digging.....

I never got the feel that it was said that everyone is or that most are.
    I'm specifically referring to the dominant Caucasian culture in the United States.
    Here's the quote.

It wasn't blanket. He didn't say all white people. Literally the opposite of a blanket statement.

Deleted
    I'll play into the stereotype just for the sheer hell of it.

I am a white male. I am superior. I'm rich beyond belief and have done no work to get rich. Everything wrong on this planet is my fault, but I don't care because I'm rich beyond belief. I'm also superior.

Life comes so easy for me because my white skin and my penis bring me privileges only others can dream about.

I suppress other people because they don't have white skin or a penis.

I am the elite of the planet and every other white person with a penis is in the exact same elite position as me.

Did I do it right?
    Last edited by mmoc2d3bbfa13e; 2015-02-22 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmanx View Post
    When you are in a hole, stop digging.....
    Exactly my thought when I keep seeing the replies posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    It wasn't blanket. He didn't say all white people. Literally the opposite of a blanket statement.
    When you're arguing semantics at least read what you're defending first.
    "I'm specifically referring to the dominant Caucasian culture in the United States."
    The culture being all persons belonging to that specific race.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I've ever seen a Chinese restaurant that wasn't completely staffed by Asian people, who as far as I could tell all spoke Chinese.
    We have several of them, although they try to hire asian people for the wait staff, it's clear that they're not all chinese. Most southern bumpkins can't tell the difference though. But yeah, if they don't have dual language on the main menu, just as for the chinese menu. You won't be disappointed. Once you get past the Americanized recipes they've put on the english menu, your taste buds will love you. That is, if you're adventurous and not too picky.

At the mall we have a panda express and a new orleans grill right next to each other at the food court. The Panda Express is run by black people and the New Orleans Grill is run by asians. I need to take a picture sometime.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Here's the quote.
    Okay, I'll just make this easy since you seem to have gotten lost:

The point is that White culture is so pervasive that you have to go out of your way to find items that are relevant to minorities. The stockings at the store were made for pale complexions...the darkest shade of concealer/foundation was a Cover Girl shade called "Creamy Natural".

I had to do all this stuff for diversity training so it's all pretty fresh.
    Can we just not do the whole "white culture" thing?
    Why not, White people have a culture and racial identity too. It's pretty distinct from things like Hispanic culture and African American culture...
    White people are a pretty diverse group, each ethnicity with their own distinct culture. It might be very blended in USA but it sure isn't in the rest of the world. I'm white, a south-european is white but our cultures are not alike.
    I'm specifically referring to the dominant Caucasian culture in the United States.
    That was her responding to me, neither of us said anything about racism there. So, to me it seems you either didn't follow that or you just took it out of context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You like camping? Real camping? Are you sure you're black?

Hell yeah, campign is the shit. My dad and his buddies like it too.

Used to catch catfish and make southern fried catfish nuggets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you reading anything I've said? I've made it pretty clear I'm talking about people who ignorantly celebrate a sad parody of the culture they think they're celebrating, which only serves to disgrace the thing they're claiming to be proud of it. It's entirely contradictory.

If you look at the example Celista gave of her Irish-American friend, that's totally fine.

If you want, I'll give you a *many to amend the original quote, but I don't think it's worth bitching about. It is certainly no minority of the people who are doing it.
    So we're going with anecdotal as proof because you met some people who are questionably Irish who drink like goons on St. Paddy's Day?

You're stretching to make a huge majority out of a tiny minority of people. It's nonsense.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Okay, I'll just make this easy since you seem to have gotten lost:

That was her responding to me, neither of us said anything about racism there. So, to me it seems you either didn't follow that or you just took it out of context.
    I suppose I did. I apologize for that.

But that still begs the question for what she means by "people" in the first place. Because, by her previous posts, she means "people" in the sense of defining a person, and that could be anybody from all existing "persons". I doubt some obtuse answer sufficiently captures which persons/people think of AfAms as "inferior".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    We have several of them, although they try to hire asian people for the wait staff, it's clear that they're not all chinese. Most southern bumpkins can't tell the difference though. But yeah, if they don't have dual language on the main menu, just as for the chinese menu. You won't be disappointed. Once you get past the Americanized recipes they've put on the english menu, your taste buds will love you. That is, if you're adventurous and not too picky.

At the mall we have a panda express and a new orleans grill right next to each other at the food court. The Panda Express is run by black people and the New Orleans Grill is run by asians. I need to take a picture sometime.
    We have two Asian restaurants like that here. They speak just enough English to serve and watch burned dvd videos all in Chinese. I usually just order the chicken fried rice with shrimp here and again.