Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Why don't you hop the river and go find her!
    Im not falling for that one. I found the stones you put in my pocket and backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    Im not falling for that one. I found the stones you put in my pocket and backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I dont survive half a dozen kill attempts each game by being gullible!

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving the Sigs!

Hi!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleos View Post
    Loving the Sigs!

Hi!
    Welcome back, you crazy muppet.

10+ Year Old Account
    sigging it up

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    sigging it up
    Very fitting! ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lellybaby View Post
    Very fitting! ^_^
    I thought so

Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticence View Post
    So long as your board isn't a dinosaur, it should utilize all 16GB regardless. The question would be whether it could take advantage of the 2400 MHz speed or will run it at a lower one. If you look up the specs for the motherboard, under memory it should say something like this:

So you'd just want to see if 2400 is listed there and whether it would need overclocking (O.C., of course). If it's supported by default, then you're golden.

EDIT EDIT: If it's not, then technically you should still be able to use it (you'll still get your 16GB, just running at a slower, supported speed than 2400MHz), but if you have no interest in overclocking then there's some potential there to cut down a little on cost if you look for the same type/amount of memory, just at a slower speed that the board supports.

EDIT: But while you're there you might as well double-check the maximum memory supported just to be sure. They're usually in the same spot. I don't foresee that being a problem, though.
    This is what it says
    Intel Z68
    Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155)
    DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066

This is what it says
    Intel Z68
    Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155)
    DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066
    So yeah, the memory will work, it just may run at 2133 MHz instead of 2400 MHz.

So yeah, the memory will work, it just may run at 2133 MHz instead of 2400 MHz.
    And if i bought

Kingston

HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 DC 16GB

Then what?

The one that runs at 2400 costs a bit more and the one running at 2133 somehow costs almost twice as much.

HyperX Beast DDR3-1600 DC 16GB

Then what?

The one that runs at 2400 costs a bit more and the one running at 2133 somehow costs almost twice as much.
    It would just run at 1600.

The 2133 may be more expensive due to some of the other specs (lower latency/timing, etc.), or just because it's rarer due to compatibility/age.

If the difference between the 2400 and 1600 is palatable to you, go with the 2400 over the 2133. There's no harm in having it underclock to match your motherboard (and it'll give you more wiggle room if you decide to upgrade the board later).
    Last edited by Reticence; 2015-06-28 at 10:21 PM.

It would just run at 1600.

The 2133 may be more expensive due to some of the other specs (lower latency/timing, etc.), or just because it's rarer due to compatibility/age.

If the difference between the 2400 and 1600 is palatable to you, go with the 2400 over the 2133. There's no harm in having it underclock to match your motherboard (and it'll give you more wiggle room if you decide to upgrade the board later).
    And if it underclocks the 2400 will just perform at 1600 like the 1600?

And if it underclocks the 2400 will just perform at 1600 like the 1600?
    Based on what you listed for the board, the 2400 should run at 2133 (since it wasn't denoted as an overclocked value -- kinda weird; I was expecting some of them to be).

Unless your motherboard runs something that optimizes everything automatically, then whatever you get will probably be defaulted to a safe setting at first (varies, but usually 1333). Going into the BIOS memory section and enabling XMP should fix that without hassle.

15+ Year Old Account
    OK, let me stop this conversation.

Save the money, buy the 1600 RAM.

The difference is so minute that no human can see a performance difference from running 1600 or 2133, or 2400, or even 4k RAM if it existed.

Buy the 1600, save the money, still get the same delicious performance.

OK, let me stop this conversation.

Save the money, buy the 1600 RAM.

The difference is so minute that no human can see a performance difference from running 1600 or 2133, or 2400, or even 4k RAM if it existed.

Buy the 1600, save the money, still get the same delicious performance.
    But what if I want to install a game in RAM so that it has zero load screens?

may i be PMd the dead thread please?

Based on what you listed for the board, the 2400 should run at 2133 (since it wasn't denoted as an overclocked value -- kinda weird; I was expecting some of them to be).

Unless your motherboard runs something that optimizes everything automatically, then whatever you get will probably be defaulted to a safe setting at first (varies, but usually 1333). Going into the BIOS memory section and enabling XMP should fix that without hassle.
    Explain it to me straight, Doc. Without all that techy mumbo jumbo...

Explain it to me straight, Doc. Without all that techy mumbo jumbo...
    Here's the non-techy version:
    - Locate the nearest child on the premises.
    - Verbatim recite Reticence's post.
    - Give the kid 3 minutes to do the change
    - Pay said kid one ice cream.
    - Feel like an old person for the rest of the day.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]