Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spalding View Post
    Yep I love my work. Making good money, whilst supporting charities that help around the globe. Yeah I work 12 hrs a day 7 days a week, but hell ill be retiring before im 50 if I keep this up. Pursue your passions and don't let anyone stop you
    What if you dont have a passion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Where does my girlfriend and her dog live?
    You may want to consider dropping them if you cant afford them on your own.

No, you can't. Not in the US anyway. Minimum wage is currently $8 where I live. You'll need an apartment, utilities, probably a car because this is the US, food, laundry, and so on. And then because you're not a wage slave, a night out. Woops, you're broke.
    What I might say may sound like heresy put you should consider moving to a different state or just move out from USA entirely.

No, you can't. Not in the US anyway. Minimum wage is currently $8 where I live. You'll need an apartment, utilities, probably a car because this is the US, food, laundry, and so on. And then because you're not a wage slave, a night out. Woops, you're broke.
    It really depends on stage of life and expectations. Someone living in shared housing and biking where they need to go can get by and have enough spare cash to have some fun. Someone trying to live alone in an apartment and drive everywhere is probably going to be out of luck. If you're 19 years old, that shared housing and biking places isn't such a bad life if you're in the right city (Madison, Portland, Minneapolis, Boulder, etc.). If you're 30 and trying to start a family, yeah, it's pretty miserable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    What if you dont have a passion?
    Then pursue something that's tolerable and puts food on the table. I wouldn't say I have any passions I can really make money at (maybe brewing, but it's not much money and it's hard work), but after a little bit of experimentation, I've found work that's reasonably enjoyable and that compensates me well enough to live nicely.

I actually tend to think that the "follow your passion" advice isn't very good for most people; most passions don't pay particularly well. I love running and biking, but the chance of me ever being strong enough to make money at it is basically zero (I did win some protein powder one time and a pint glass another time, but you can't quite retire on that ).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    What I might say may sound like heresy put you should consider moving to a different state or just move out from USA entirely.
    As far as I can tell, most of the countries with higher minimum standards of living don't really take immigrants from the US that are the sorts that don't have a skillset that allows them to earn more than minimum wage. Sure, Denmark will take someone with an MS in engineering, but someone with an MS in engineering probably isn't griping about minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It really depends on stage of life and expectations. Someone living in shared housing and biking where they need to go can get by and have enough spare cash to have some fun. Someone trying to live alone in an apartment and drive everywhere is probably going to be out of luck. If you're 19 years old, that shared housing and biking places isn't such a bad life if you're in the right city (Madison, Portland, Minneapolis, Boulder, etc.). If you're 30 and trying to start a family, yeah, it's pretty miserable.
    I happen to be in one of those cities. I personally can and do bike. I do need a car, though, given that I might have to go 50 miles in any direction to meet with a distributor.

My job is a special case. It would would still be hell on most people even though my urban area is ranked one of the best biking cities in the US. (Hint: one of my employees was looking for a part-time; all he could find were jobs way off in the suburbs, at least a half hour drive, who knows how long of a bike ride).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I happen to be in one of those cities. I personally can and do bike. I do need a car, though, given that I might have to go 50 miles in any direction to meet with a distributor.

My job is a special case. It would would still be hell on most people even though my urban area is ranked one of the best biking cities in the US. (Hint: one of my employees was looking for a part-time; all he could find were jobs way off in the suburbs, at least a half hour drive, who knows how long of a bike ride).
    *shrug*

Depends how you arrange your life. My fiancee hasn't owned a car since she moved out of California and has lived in a couple different urban environments. If you're in DC, for example, you surely don't need a car. If you're in a good biking town, you don't really need one as you can grab a Zipcar for the occasional necessary trip.

If you have a car, you tend to see all the things that would be a pain in the ass without one. If you don't have a car, you tend to just not do those things.

In Madison, for example, it's trivially easy to find things within biking distance as almost everything is within a 5 mile radius of the core of downtown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this thread still going? The OP is basically a blog post, which I thought wasn't allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Dear Mr. <insert country name here> leader, feel free to deport that piece of shit to Greece or Portugal.
    Oh my... the ignorant racism.
    Greeks work one of the highest, if not the highest amount of hours per week in the western world, Portuguese actually have a very good reputation as immigrants for being hardworking and integrating in the communities, not leeching.
    No wonder you are unemployed.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2015-06-29 at 03:06 PM.

*shrug*

Depends how you arrange your life. My fiancee hasn't owned a car since she moved out of California and has lived in a couple different urban environments. If you're in DC, for example, you surely don't need a car. If you're in a good biking town, you don't really need one as you can grab a Zipcar for the occasional necessary trip.

If you have a car, you tend to see all the things that would be a pain in the ass without one. If you don't have a car, you tend to just not do those things.

In Madison, for example, it's trivially easy to find things within biking distance as almost everything is within a 5 mile radius of the core of downtown.
    Oh, I know. I've lived in NYC and a couple other towns without a car. Between a bike and public transit I was fine. When I needed, I could do something like Zipcar.

However, just to use Madison as an example, I'm talking about people who are going from Madison to Beloit. People are stupid, I know, and commute that far.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    How did a post about some random Facebook troll turn into an 18 page thread?

- - - Updated - - -

*shrug*

It's a bit harder in Houston. Possible, but much much harder.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    How did a post about some random Facebook troll turn into an 18 page thread?

- - - Updated - - -
    Because it turned into a chat about commuting in different cities, which was much more interesting to discuss
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Shh guys, welfare scroungers don't exist, remember?

So people would have you believe here, anyway.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    2 things that I don't like: vegans and lazyness.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    ...and I'm all out of vegans.

Wait a second, that doesn't make any sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Well i hate Asura, what are you gonna do about it?

Deleted
    Working sucks ass...but, otherwise how can u buy all the shit u want n go on vacation??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Working sucks ass...but, otherwise how can u buy all the shit u want n go on vacation??
    complain you don't get enough benefits and leech even more money of the taxpayer?

God how I bless the fates that I was born in a country where fucks like those can't get money from the state.

When I see shit like this happening I physically get upset. Why does this happen? If you don't work you shouldn't get a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    ...and I'm all out of vegans.

Wait a second, that doesn't make any sense.
    I'm here to chew bubblegum and collect welfare, and im all out of bubblegum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    God how I bless the fates that I was born in a country where fucks like those can't get money from the state.

When I see shit like this happening I physically get upset. Why does this happen? If you don't work you shouldn't get a penny.
    where do you reside sir?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    complain you don't get enough benefits and leech even more money of the taxpayer?
    Yeah, only a few hundred million more like him and the bankers will have to go without their bailouts.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Well i hate Asura, what are you gonna do about it?
    It's natural to hate those superior to you.