Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Actually, I think the tweet is totally fine. Being a mother, partner and daughter is all totally possible and gender appropriate to females.

"Going back to be fathers, partners and sons" would be no less appropriately worded.

This is not demeaning or disparaging at all. It's well written and phrased in fact. The post venerates the athletes as heroes too. Although calling them heroes is suspect, superficially speaking and perhaps philosophically.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Whether you like it or not the English statement is true.

The England women's football team will not receive the same attention, and most certainly will not receive the same wages, as male football players.

They will not be frequently recognised in the street. A similar situation to the vast, vast majority of competitive athletes.

Male football players are outliers here. Most athletes are heroes whilst actively competing in their events on the world stage, and relatively normal folk for the rest of the time. They aren't big celebrities for the most part. After events they go back to their families and resume "normal" life. Just happens that their everyday life involves training for world stage competitive sport. Before anyone says it - no, regular games of women's football do not receive anywhere near as much attention as the world cup.

Interesting, because the article linked to in the tweet that people are getting that panties in a bunch over seems to indicate they were greeted in Heathrow by a bunch of fans.

I also like other people's comments that soccer(football) isn't a well followed sport here in the US. The Women's and Men's Pro Leagues called and said they are well followed. In the last few years American networks have carried far more soccer coverage, locally and abroad, to say differently as well.

Is it as big as the top three, no. But it's not like these women from the various countries aren't recognized and have little fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Basing what? My stance doesn't need proof one way or another since my stance is we need to know the author's opinions to really know whether it is or isn't. The only thing I feel it is, is patronizing regardless of the sex.

Then read the damn article in the original tweet already, and then read all the other articles of any of the participating countries team's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Who? I understand the why, but the who? So if one is a sexist, he/she therefor will ever be labeled as sexist and everything he/she says will be sexist?! That makes no sense at all.
    It makes sense when you think just a little bit. When I say who I mean who a person is (their personalty, what they think about things.) Not just x person said y therefore z.

15+ Year Old Account
    It makes sense when you think just a little bit. When I say who I mean who a person is (their personalty, what they think about things.) Not just x person said y therefore z.
    That´s covered by the why.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    That´s covered by the why.
    Why a person says something is the reason for them saying it so say... the stimulus for it. The why and who go together because who a person is dictates how they respond in relation to the why.

no idea if u are iin the u.s but i know i read and seen on the news and in person people talk about our troops saying ''bring our sons and fathers home'' and bring our daughters and mothers home'' from a u.s stand point its not sexist
    ''i'm not drunk, i'm Scottish''

Quote Originally Posted by tacosarecool View Post
    no idea if u are iin the u.s but i know i read and seen on the news and in person people talk about our troops saying ''bring our sons and fathers home'' and bring our daughters and mothers home'' from a u.s stand point its not sexist
    It's one thing when you're talking about troops though lol.

Deleted
    You should apologize for thinking it is sexist because you did not know the background.
    "but they have taken on another title - heroes"

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    You should apologize for thinking it is sexist because you did not know the background.
    "but they have taken on another title - heroes"
    I never said I thought it was sexist, perhaps you should try to slow down and read thoroughly.

Deleted
    I never said I thought it was sexist, perhaps you should try to slow down and read thoroughly.
    Good because it is not sexist.

So it's okay to say it about one group of people, but not another? /facepalm

"Going back to being mothers, partners and daughters" is sexist, although I get why it's not super clear why. It's not really sexist on its own. It's sexist because people don't really say that to men (I am sure there are exceptions).

It contributes to the idea that women are just someone's (usually men) something, not someone on their own. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still happens. Like how a lot of female personalities are often referred to as XXXX's girlfriend, or XXXX's ex, etc. How some people say "Hey, don't do that, she's someone's mother, someone's sister, someone's daughter", instead of saying they should stop because she is a person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iflash View Post
    "Going back to being mothers, partners and daughters" is sexist, although I get why it's not super clear why. It's not really sexist on its own. It's sexist because people don't really say that to men (I am sure there are exceptions).

It contributes to the idea that women are just someone's (usually men) something, not someone on their own. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still happens. Like how a lot of female personalities are often referred to as XXXX's girlfriend, or XXXX's ex, etc. How some people say "Hey, don't do that, she's someone's mother, someone's sister, someone's daughter", instead of saying they should stop because she is a person.

That just in: Family relations are sexit.

I'm going to submit this to /r/tumblrinaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    That just in: Family relations are sexit.

I'm going to submit this to /r/tumblrinaction.
    Sure, although shouldn't this be in tumblr to qualify? Just hoping you don't get downvoted. Looking out for you buddy.

Family relations aren't a problem. This tweet wouldn't really be sexist if it didn't happen that often, or if it happened to men just as often.

Edit: Just read some of the posts there. Geez. Nothing I said is even close to that.
    Last edited by Iflash; 2015-07-06 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't fuckin Spain or the UK dude.. No one in America cares about soccer. Go away.

Edit: Why are they "heroes" now? How many kids did they pull out of the burning Children's Hospital?
    Did they give blood to baby kitties dying of cancer?

Oh, they were just playing a GAME you say? Well then WTF is so goddamned heroic about kickin a fuckin ball around?!

Fuckin "Heroes".. Disgusting.
    Last edited by Violent; 2015-07-06 at 11:27 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    calling people mothers and daughters is sexist now?
    Anything is sexist if you've sensitive enough.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Anything is sexist if you've sensitive enough.
    Way to be racist dude.. >.>
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Solo gets the 1$ bill can RR or hardy get the suzie b?
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why a person says something is the reason for them saying it so say... the stimulus for it. The why and who go together because who a person is dictates how they respond in relation to the why.
    Either you´re speaking another language or you don´t know what you´re talking. You´re now discribing the situation the person is in with "why".
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Iflash View Post

Too funny!

In regards to the first, what is said en masse every Father's Day? That's right, fathers, husbands, sons. Can someone be demeaning with that, like any other word can be? Sure, but in general you are paying homage, just like the tweet was when giving light to people by defining them as more than a mere person.

As for the second, any good negotiator, psychologist, sociologist, etc will tell you that you not only make a person more human, but also highlight that harming a person harms more than just that person, by saying they are somebody's mother, daughter, wife, or father, son, husband.