Poll: VR and MMORPG

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Virtual Reality and MMORPG's

I had a discussion with my brother recently about commercial VR systems. The Oculus Rift and the Valve Vive specifically. He believes VR is the future of gaming and went on to claim that these commercial systems could be used for MMORPG's. I however disagree that it would be usable for these kinds of games. I felt the movement and combat would be awkward and that would be its biggest problem. He said it could add a whole new layer of depth, such as if you want to cast a spell you physically make a hand gesture and say a specific incantation to shoot say a fireball.

I will admit on paper it sounds awesome, but in practice for an MMORPG a VR system wouldn't work well. What do you all think?

I watched Sword Art Online. No VR MMOs for me.

Will be like the Matrix obviously.

VR won't work for MMORPGs, but it will for virtual worlds. Yes, at this point there is a difference. MMORPGs are still games; hell the last word of the acronym "MMORPG" is game. If you want to immerse yourself in a true virtual world, it can't be just a game anymore (no, I'm not talking some "deadliest game" where you die in IRL or something bull); it has to be a true world that will move on without you, not just when you turn in a quest. The NPCs can't just have a sell list with set dialogue options; they must actually be people. It (the world) must move on without the developers flipping switches as well. Until that happens, I do not see VR in multiplayer games expanding outside flight sims like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous.

Valyrian, i do agree with you to a point. The world would still need NPC's of sorts, but a virtual world would be whats needed in order for things like that to work, but current VR systems just cant do something like that especially for multiplayer games

- - - Updated - - -

Bumping this for opinions and thoughts

SJ, i too watched Sword Art Online, and felt an MMO would only work with VR like that. Without the extreme health dangers of course

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I watched Sword Art Online. No VR MMOs for me.
    Don't jest. I know I would love to play something like SAO (with a log out button and no permadeath (IRL), please) with 5/5 kawaii anime grills.

Deleted
    Oculus rift yes - big future! Obviously in small lightweight versions.
    Not only for gaming.
    I would absolutely love to use VR for 3d modeling - being able to see "around" the model, which will have real time shaders, would be nice. If done right it will literally be like changing the look of a real person, radically - pull out his nose, cut his hair, give him huge animal canines etc etc.

But the only way the mouse ever will be replaced (except for in gimmicks) will be if something even easier to use is invented. Perhaps a a mix of a mouse and eye movements. Im certain we never will see big VR studios with treadmills and toy guns for private ppl. Simply can not compete with a cozy chair and a mouse.

VR won't work for MMORPGs, but it will for virtual worlds. Yes, at this point there is a difference.
    This alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    SJ, i too watched Sword Art Online, and felt an MMO would only work with VR like that. Without the extreme health dangers of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Don't jest. I know I would love to play something like SAO (with a log out button and no permadeath (IRL), please) with 5/5 kawaii anime grills.
    Eh, it'd be fun to try, but I'm more along the lines of agreeing with what Fencers agreed with above.

Deleted
    I think VR as a viewing device for MMOs is something that could be quite readily adopted but you'd still have a UI and be using keyboard / mouse or controller for the actual actions. I don't see fully immersive VR with gestures and noHUD being very popular though.

Then again if you'd asked me 5 years ago would we ever see an AR MMO I'd have said no way and yet now it's become insanely popular. So who knows where VR might be in 5 years.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2015-06-07 at 09:35 PM.

Deleted
    I wait for the next evolutionary step.. brain implants.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    I'd welcome it with open arms even if i was in a coma for a few months fuck this world
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If done correctly, it would be awesome. But after SWO...

surely it's future of gaming industry, but i'm interested in adult games like 3dx chat etc naughtyvirtualreality.com/vrgames (can't post links yet)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    I think VR as a viewing device for MMOs is something that could be quite readily adopted but you'd still have a UI and be using keyboard / mouse or controller for the actual actions. I don't see fully immersive VR with gestures and noHUD being very popular though.
    I agree with that statement.

The visual part sounds tempting (a first person MMO using Oculus Rift... yeah, bring on the exploration!), but any kind of physical controls would be a pain.
    It's just like with Xbox Kinect: sounds good in theory, but is very exhausting to play and in the end you just won't bother.
    Especially if every spell takes some sort of a verbal incantation and a gesture:

I think the usual PvE raid or a massive PvP battle in any MMO requires hundreds of spells to be cast per hour, so "physical excercise" in this section is going to get old reaaaly fast... plus it's going to hinder your reflexes (you can perform many more actions using hotkeys than using voice commands) and will make you annoyingly inefficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Trek holodeck here I come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Oculus rift yes - big future! Obviously in small lightweight versions.
    Not only for gaming.
    I would absolutely love to use VR for 3d modeling - being able to see "around" the model, which will have real time shaders, would be nice. If done right it will literally be like changing the look of a real person, radically - pull out his nose, cut his hair, give him huge animal canines etc etc.

But the only way the mouse ever will be replaced (except for in gimmicks) will be if something even easier to use is invented. Perhaps a a mix of a mouse and eye movements. Im certain we never will see big VR studios with treadmills and toy guns for private ppl. Simply can not compete with a cozy chair and a mouse.
    We actualllly have the tech needed for a sort of prototype/simplified "nerve gear"

Combine occulus/morpheus with a microchip we have made for cybernetic prosthetics that lets you control the arm by thoughts(they had monkeys peeling banas by mind controlled robo arms so it IS VERY precise) and bam a physical sensatiolness mind controlled device.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    We actualllly have the tech needed for a sort of prototype/simplified "nerve gear"

Combine occulus/morpheus with a microchip we have made for cybernetic prosthetics that lets you control the arm by thoughts(they had monkeys peeling banas by mind controlled robo arms so it IS VERY precise) and bam a physical sensatiolness mind controlled device.
    and there lies the problem. Today we still dont have the technology to make something like this happen. (taken sao as example) the device connects to your nervous system to make you "dive in" in the virtual reality world.. But as far as I know there are an abnormal amount of data processing thourgh your nervous system for which we have not the technology to process all of it (correct me if I'm wrong).

In a few years when occulust rift/morpheus/other devices like that will be optimized, it sure will be a good/great experience, but anything further would also be a revolutionary step in science itself imo which is hard to achieve (or luckily by chance like other inventions in the past)

Headset:

MMOs like WoW? The VR would only give you a 3D view of the world around your character, and you'd still have their ass right in front of you. Maybe it would be easier to pay attention to AoE and stuff like that, but it's mostly a gimmick.

Some kind of MMOFP(S/RPG/whatever)? Sure, as long as you don't need to turn around quickly.

Controls:

Nope, don't like them. Not for MMOs, not for anything.